Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 failure rate 16%

• 14-02-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92718

Found this fairly interesting seeing as a lot of people here seem to be pulling "1/3" or "1/4" figures out of thin air.
    16%, while pretty damn high, is still nowhere near 25%+

60% of those failures were rrod, which makes it more like a 9.6% rrod failure rate overall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I don't believe those figures to be honest,

Everyone I know who bought a 360 has had at least 1 fail.

Thats about 18 people all who are on at least their second box, some on their third.

And I thought I was lucky that my launch one was still fine until last week when mine joined the RROD ranks.

M$ should be hung drawn and quartered for this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

even if you take 10% as the real figure thats still a LOT of consoles:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Wonder do those figures only include warrantied replacements or does it include reported or service charges for machines outside warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

WellyJ wrote: »
    I don't believe those figures to be honest,

Everyone I know who bought a 360 has had at least 1 fail.

Thats about 18 people all who are on at least their second box, some on their third.

And I thought I was lucky that my launch one was still fine until last week when mine joined the RROD ranks.

M$ should be hung drawn and quartered for this ****.

I got the 3 Red Rings last week also. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I did'nt end up with RROD but 2 weeks after getting my first xbox at xmas the dvd drive copped out so now im on my second one too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mine's been going for almost a year and a half without RROD... *touch wood*

I just KNOW the bastard is going to fail as soon as GTA4 is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Im going to pluck a figure out of thin air here, cos it holds as much weight as the figures quoted and I'd say that at least 50% of 360 owners have had some kind of problem with their console. Thats going on the people I know, and thats a conservative estimate. My bro is on his third 360, and my dvd drive clapped out a couple of weeks out of warranty so I'm gonna have to cough up for that.

16% my arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

mise wrote: »
    Im going to pluck a figure out of thin air here, cos it holds as much weight as the figures quoted and I'd say that at least 50% of 360 owners have had some kind of problem with their console. Thats going on the people I know, and thats a conservative estimate. My bro is on his third 360, and my dvd drive clapped out a couple of weeks out of warranty so I'm gonna have to cough up for that.

16% my arse

well, if people are going to throw around figures, I'd say the failure rate is zero %* going by people I know. I have 6 friends/relations who have an xbox and none have had any trouble with them. 2 are launch models, and 2 were bought before Christmas. The other 2 were in between. So obviously doesnt have as many problems as being stated.

*I know this is a bullsh!t figure and a stupid comment, but if people are going to write stupid things I'll respond with stupidity.

Not really, I would say that at the end of the day my "guesstimate" is a lot closer to the truth than the "official figures". Also I can imagine that out of those who bought 360 in the first year and havent had any problems at all, the likelihood of their console lasting the 360s life cycle (??.. not sure if thats what its called) of say 5 years is quite small.

Again, as with all these kind of things you hear more about when things go wrong than when go right but anyone I know with a 360 has had a problem except one, and that one is no longer getting any use because of a wii and ps3.

Mise you and you're family have got bad luck.

If you're brother has so far lost 2 out 3 and you're first is gone that means your family has an XBox360 failure rate of 75% (3 in 4)

This tells me two things - either you have bad electronics luck. Sickner. Or you're house's heating is on too much and your ambient temp is pushing the XBox360s core temps that few degrees higher enough to fail.

Either way, turn down the heat and chill out dude.

• Advertisement

To be honest, it doesnt bother me too much... just can't really believe those figures. Fair enough that 50% is probably a bit high :) but again I would say 16% seems too low.

Dont think the heating in the house is too high, moved out now, but it was never what I would say hot.. and both went at the end of summer when the heating wasnt on. Bad electrics is possible, tho nothing else in the house has ever had any problems

oh and I love the 360 and even tho mines broken at the mo, I havent make too much of an effort to get it fixed, it doesnt fill me with rage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

event so, 16% is a scandalous amount of failures for a company like MS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive made a new thread with a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    While I`m not defending microsoft all companies have a failure rate with their products. I worked for DELL and they brought out a new notebook, and I noticed a few months later a quite few of them were coming back. I later found out that although quite a few were coming back damaged it was below what DELL expects from a new product.

Not to mention certain car manufacture that brought out a car that were known to explode if they were rear ended. Quite a few people died because of that one!

of course, but usually if a product had a known issue, they would have fixed it by now, not to mention a mass recall and a quicker fix time. its very badly handled by MS

I dont think any of us would handle it any differently.

Mass recalls are only done when there is a danger to the consumer - fire/heat issues, poisonous paint, etc.
    There's no way a company who is trying to out-do only 2 main competitors is going to let failure rates hit massive headlines with the Words RECALL splashed everywhere. There were a shortage of consoles as it was without recalling all and replacing or servicing.

They are a global conglomerate company who are out for profits. Shocking that they try to prevent bad news from becoming a major headline.

Remember Sony's reaction to the dead pixels on the PSP or the rootkit scandal on their music CDs that opened up security holes on people's PCs.

Bury it and avoid the headlines. I'd do the same if I was a major player in a volatile industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

50% are you taking the piss? Just because you have encountered problems you can just apply that to the entire lot of 360`s.

Well hang on. Their figures are only based on 1000 consoles so thats hardly gospel either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

1000 would be considered a decent sample size, their is a big difference between a survey of 1000 people and a survey 3 people.

Absolutely. But to quote yourself "Just because you have encountered problems you can just apply that to the entire lot of 360`s."
    That applys to that 1000 machines too, and it also works in reverse.

Im not sure Id consider 1000 machines to be a great sample size when you consider theres about 10 million in circulation. 10 or 50 thousand would be a better number, the results to me dont seem to be indicative of the general populations experience with the 360. The number seems low.

Yea but these surveys are done as a story on some gaming websites - probably a voting system on the side of a site.

Getting 50,000 individual 360 users to sell their sob stories would be a long arduos task. And for what? One story on a gaming-news site. Not going to happen.

I doubt though that they just so happened to get the 1000 where 840 of which had no problems. I imagine if they had done 10,000 they'd have gotten similar results. 1000 is a decent sample and should be big enough to reflect the overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Evolute wrote: »
    I did'nt end up with RROD but 2 weeks after getting my first xbox at xmas the dvd drive copped out so now im on my second one too

Same here, DVD drive broke two weeks after I bought mine got it replaced haven't had any problems with it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i think i rember reading somewere that any 360s made after september 08 are not going to get rrod.a week before christmas mine went to that great console kingdom in the skyto join the 3 ps1s and 3 ps2s that and even a sega master system i think the basterds do it on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Indie18 wrote: »
    somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i think i rember reading somewere that any 360s made after september 08

i meant to say september 07

Advertisement