Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi arabia now wants to execute witch

• 14-02-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I know we get these kinds of threads every other day but this one made me check to make sure it wasnt some kind of reverse wind up or that today was april 1st or something. Yep the saudis want to execute a woman for being a witch - and it gets worse she was illiterate and didnt know what confession she was putting her thumbprint to. The phrase from apocalypse now 'never get out of the boat' springs to mind here.

Call to halt woman's execution for witchcraft
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mheyididaukf/
    +
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/14/africa/ME-GEN-Saudi-Human-Rights.php

A leading international human rights group appealed to Saudi King Abdullah today to stop the execution of a woman accused of witchcraft......

Ms Falih later retracted her confession in court, claiming it was extracted under duress, and said that as an illiterate woman, she did not understand the document she was forced to fingerprint................

Joe Stork, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, said: “The fact that Saudi judges still conduct trials for unprovable crimes like ’witchcraft’ underscores their inability to carry out objective criminal investigations..............

The Saudi court cited one instance, in which a man allegedly became impotent after being bewitched by Ms Falih, and another when a divorced woman reportedly returned to her ex-husband during the month predicted by the witch who allegedly cast a spell....

Saudi Arabia does not have a written penal code that spells out the elements of a particular crime.

The Law of Criminal Procedure issued in 2002 grants defendants the right to be tried in person, to have a lawyer present during interrogation and trial and to cross-examine any prosecution witnesses.

But in practice, lawyers are often banned from courtrooms, rules of evidence are shaky and sentences often depend on the whim of judges.

The most frequent – and recently, most high-profile – victims of such whimsical rulings are women, who already suffer severe restrictions in their daily life in Saudi Arabia.

Women there cannot drive, appear before a judge without a male representative or travel abroad without a male guardian’s permission.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

She turned me into a newt!!!

I got better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It is a bit monty python alright - only they really do want to kill her (and without the sense of humour part).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's astounding just how backwards some countries still are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well at least no one can accuse the Saudis of being soft on witchcraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Next they should move onto those people who believe in soem weird jewish zombie fella. Then onto that other fella with the teatowel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

They should disprove the guys impotency by bringing a stripper into the courtroom. But then they'd probably have to execute the stripper. Its a no-win situation.

F*ckin lunatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

hubble hubble boil and trouble ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Well if she's anything like that Irish bint that was on Big Brother a few years back, i'd be the first to volunteer and help them do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Jaysus what a ****ed up country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah those whacky muslims, is there anything that they wont try stone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Wow Morlar, finally something you and I can both agree on. This is just horrendous.

It's astounding just how backwards some countries still are.

Especially ones that are as rich as these fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Here we go, usual story, they are all mad over there, they are so backward etc.. Do ye know that the US kills mentally ill people on death row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Here we go, usual story, they are all mad over there, they are so backward etc.. Do ye know that the US kills mentally ill people on death row?

For witchcraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Damn arabs'

they can be backward too then

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paul_ire57

all the oil in the world cant buy common sense. shows that maybe in about 300 years time when they realise that there is no such thing as witchcraft that we can welcome them into the 21st century!

this is the same place where the relgious police banned red roses today! in case it incited widespread love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LadyJ wrote: »
    Wow Morlar, finally something you and I can both agree on. This is just horrendous.

I am not sure which is more scary either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Maby we should focus on our own problems rather than looking at other countrys. We are far from perfect. Did anyone actually think she might be a witch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Like the White Witch in Cobh? Yeah, fair point. Burn her! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

FunkZ wrote: »
    Jaysus what a ****ed up country.

Is there anything they won't do?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Mweelrea wrote: »
    Is there anything they won't do?!?
    Drink alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

What a screwed-up country. Sounds like it's in dire need of regime change. I can't understand why the neo-cons haven't invaded it like Iraq or named it as part of the Axis of Evil like Iran? :confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Bambi wrote: »
    Ah those whacky muslims, is there anything that they wont try stone?

ROFLCOPTER, I was close to pissing myself after reading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paul_ire57

Maby we should focus on our own problems rather than looking at other countrys. We are far from perfect. Did anyone actually think she might be a witch?

isnt the thread called saudi arabia now wants to execute a witch not ireland?

and if we focused solely on our own problems we would become very much like these secular countries that we strive so much to educate! which would totally defeat the purpose then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

agamemnon wrote: »
    I can't understand why the neo-cons haven't invaded it like Iraq or named it as part of the Axis of Evil like Iran? :confused::rolleyes:
    Yes, hmmm. That's a difficult one all right... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

I wonder how much dissent there is among the Saudis

Is this the kind of thing they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Reminds me of the case in Zimbabwe where President Mugabe gave a shaman woman millions of dollars to help her scheme of producing oil from rocks (she had a hidden pipeline under the rock, releasing oil when she began her 'spell'). Yes, this man is still in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

kevmy wrote: »
    Well at least no one can accuse the Saudis of being soft on witchcraft

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

America's buddies, ladies and gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They kill mentally ill murderers on death row. Stop being sensationalist.
    You'd have to be pretty ****ed up in the head to murder someone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

DaveMcG wrote: »
    America's buddies, ladies and gentlemen.

True, its all about the mighty dollar.

Advertisement