Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview access in Letterkenny??

• 14-02-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Last post I seen here was dated 2005 or so, so just wondering what's the latest on this from anyone around!

Have an LG LCD with freeview in-built, regular aerial in the attic pointing generally eastwards, and can get the normal, RTE1/2, TV3, TG4, Channel 4/5, BBC1/2 and UTV. No other partial signals unfortunately :(

Live up in Glencar, Letterkenny and was wondering if anyone can get freeview from a similar area??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From memory, you'll have to point it towards the Limavady transmitter. And then, it will only work if you're high enough up in Glencar.

There is no digital transmission from Strabane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Spot on smashey. I think this was answered only a few months ago but if byte sees it later on he will be better versed in the matter and will be able to advise accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The information in this post is still relevant.

If you can get the normal BBC, ITV, C4 analogue channels clear from Limavady you should be able to get Freeview. You may need the aerial outside. Even then the you may not get all channels due to interference from other transmitters.

Not much is set to change for NI Freeview until November 2012 when the old analogue signals from Limavady are switched off and the freeview signal gets boosted by 18 times, so it should be available to a lot more people in East Donegal at that stage. Strabane will go digital then too but may not have all the channels available.

More info here on Limavady transmitter, type of aerial needed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Is it true then that only people who live on or near the border will get freeview?
    Is there any possibility RTE/TV3 will ever be on freeview? I know Freeview have a lot of region-specific channels, such as BBC Radio Foyle and Ulster in audio, so perhaps its a possibility.
    What are RTE's or the Irish Government's plans for digital TV? I don't think a lot of people if they get Freeview (when the Limavady signal improves) realise they will still have to switch to analogue watch RTE and TV3. Depending on their location, may possibly need another aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

RadioCity wrote: »
    Is it true then that only people who live on or near the border will get freeview?
    Is there any possibility RTE/TV3 will ever be on freeview? I know Freeview have a lot of region-specific channels, such as BBC Radio Foyle and Ulster in audio, so perhaps its a possibility.
    What are RTE's or the Irish Government's plans for digital TV? I don't think a lot of people if they get Freeview (when the Limavady signal improves) realise they will still have to switch to analogue watch RTE and TV3. Depending on their location, may possibly need another aerial.

Along the border, and down the East Coast (from Britain) will get the best reception but just like with the analogue signals now it depends on what is between you and the transmitter, and interference from other transmitters.
    A similar set of channels is also available through a Free to Air satellite system.

There's plenty of information and debate on the subject of RTE over at the terrestrial forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dobrocop

its due to start early may 08, freesat from bbc/itv,..stb`s will be avalible soon [we are told] but any stb will receive these but no epg,.only now n next,..also some makers like technomate etc say that a software fix could be used to get epg,...hope so,...dobrocop.:D:pac::eek:

dobrocop wrote: »
    its due to start early may 08, freesat from bbc/itv,..stb`s will be avalible soon [we are told] but any stb will receive these but no epg,.only now n next,..also some makers like technomate etc say that a software fix could be used to get epg,...hope so,...dobrocop.:D:pac::eek:
    Could you translate that to english so as we all know what you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

muffler wrote: »
    Could you translate that to english so as we all know what you are saying.

Makes perfect sense !

Freesat is a new quality free digital satellite tv service launching in the uk in Spring. All you need to purchase is the box(STB) and the dish(if you don't already have one), no subscription is required.
    STB = SetTop Box
    EPG = The Electronic Programme Guide, EPG, gives you full details of the next 3 days (or more on SKY) television programmes.
    Now n Next = Only gives information on the present program you're watching and what's coming up next, unlike the EPG
    Technomate manufacture STB's for freeview and satellite.
    Looks like Technomate are going to release a software update to allow their STB's to have an EPG instead of a Now n Next

sorry, but i thought it was english,...and i also thought a mod would understand those terms,..well at least some people do,..i will try to explain myself better next post,...:confused:,:eek:;),dobrocop.

cheers icom,,,...;)

• Advertisement

dobrocop wrote: »
    and i also thought a mod would understand those terms,..well at least some people do,..i will try to explain myself better next
    Oh you hold mods in too high esteem. If I modded the Cable & Digital TV Forum then Im sure I would understand all the abbreviations.

Thanks icom for the explanation. At least myself and others will now be able to understand the post and and its content.

icom`s post, make it a sticky?;)

Advertisement