Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd History - Semester Two

Options
  • 14-02-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

The previous 2nd history thread was a massive success as it acted as a blackboard for certain lecturers who chose not to establish one.

3rd Reich in the second semester has no information available on its blackboard and Im sure this is the situation with other electives also.

So to get cracking, when are the essays due for the 3rd Reich course and what are the titles..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I asked the lecturer (what's his name again?) after the lecture today; there's no essays for it -- just the exam at the end of the semester.

Great lecturer btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is it just me or is it a bit weird not to have an essay in history? It's the same with Italian history (though the lecturer did apologize for it and said it was out of his hands) and possibly the Irish history course. Surely a lot of history is about reading various sources, and then forming some picture of what happened? Having 100% exams really just encourages people to regurgitate lecture notes.

Nonetheless, the history modules are good this semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Very few essays in the history modules this year for some reason. The 3rd reich one is indeed 100% exam. Good lecturer alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

thats good news re: no essay!

i thought history was about predicting whats coming up on the exam and cramming two or three essays into ure head a week before the test...

thats good news re: no essay!

i thought history was about predicting whats coming up on the exam and cramming two or three essays into ure head a week before the test...

Well, that's what it's about now...same really goes for the rest of college too :p

I hate the no essays thing. I'm really good at essay and terrible at exams. It doesn't work out well for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stripedpyjamas

Alright lads! just new on this, have been lurking in the shadows as a non-member for a while! Found last semester's thrread great around the exams.

Would anyone be up for getting a 2nd hist crew together for a few pints in the forum bar or something soon? simonrooneyzaga, you look to be spearheading this, up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Tom65 wrote: »
    Well, that's what it's about now...same really goes for the rest of college too :p

I hate the no essays thing. I'm really good at essay and terrible at exams. It doesn't work out well for me!

You're the same as me, I like the essays. At least they give you a fair indication as to your standing before the exam. I'm not a big fan of the 3rd Reich lecturer, he's decent but there's just something about him that makes me zone out continuously. Anyone know what the story is with the Irish core history? Is that all exam as well or what?

Brimmy wrote: »
    You're the same as me, I like the essays. At least they give you a fair indication as to your standing before the exam. I'm not a big fan of the 3rd Reich lecturer, he's decent but there's just something about him that makes me zone out continuously. Anyone know what the story is with the Irish core history? Is that all exam as well or what?

That has one essay, 800 words, 20% afaik.

Alright lads! just new on this, have been lurking in the shadows as a non-member for a while! Found last semester's thrread great around the exams.

Would anyone be up for getting a 2nd hist crew together for a few pints in the forum bar or something soon? simonrooneyzaga, you look to be spearheading this, up for that?

Yeah, sounds like a good idea! I'd be in!

The Irish Elections course has a reading week next week. Anyone know if this is a history-wide reading week?

• Advertisement

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, emailed the 3rd Reich lecturer, and he replied today saying that its a reading week for all history modules - sweet!:D

Also, can anybody please tell me what the story is with history erasmus options? A friend of mine doing History and Geography in Trinity is going to Tokyo next year, very jealous!

Also, can anybody please tell me what the story is with history erasmus options? A friend of mine doing History and Geography in Trinity is going to Tokyo next year, very jealous!

That's not Erasmus that's Socrates. Erasmus is for Europe only and Socrates covers the rest of the world as far as I'm aware. Erasmus had to be submitted in the first few weeks back so you might be too late to go on it I'm afraid, Declan Downey is in charge of it so just email him and ask if it's too late to apply.

Is anyone repeating Renaissance? Do you guys know when the essay topics will be up on the website? I had a look around yesterday but could only find information on last years repeats and not this years.

Bumping this for 3 important questions,

1) Is this reading week?

2) Are the Irish tutorials this week?

3) Any advance on the irish assignment, anyone know the dates?

Cheers in advance to anyone know can answer these.

yes

no

yes (see attachment :))

Hope that cleared it up for ya! :D

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Hope that cleared it up for ya! :D

Marry me? Thanks for that, good to know I wont have to rush it while being sick.

3rd Reich is 100% exam as well yeah?

Brimmy wrote: »
    Marry me? Thanks for that, good to know I wont have to rush it while being sick.

3rd Reich is 100% exam as well yeah?

Yep!

Yessir

And yes 3rd Reich is 100% :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 puppywuppy

Do tutorials for Land Religion Identity start this week? And when are the essays due?

Yes

Friday 11 April 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes

Friday 11 April 2008

Its the 18th of April.

I see. That word document I posted before is wrong then!

I see. That word document I posted before is wrong then!

It says the end of week 11 which is the 18th. Yesterday the tutor left the class to talk to the lecturer and came back 5 mins later saying its the 18th.

Does the new land, reilgion, identity lecturer remind anyone else of dara o briain or is it just me?:eek: Im expecting the rest of the panel to hop out at any time!;)

Flume wrote: »
    Does the new land, reilgion, identity lecturer remind anyone else of dara o briain or is it just me?:eek: Im expecting the rest of the panel to hop out at any time!;)

I had the exact same thought today. He also has the voice of that RTE voiceover man of the early 90s.

What ye think of the new US History lecturer? Prof Doyle, is it?

I'm not a fan :( He might as well give us copies of his lecture as handouts, cos he reads it word for word from his sheet! Not that that's a problem really. I just wasn't too keen on him tbh.

Did ye go to the seminar this week? What did he do at it?

I was a few minutes late and he changed rooms without leaving a notice up or anything. Ah well, cest la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I love these 2nd History, make life so much less frustrating :D

What's the situation with US history for this semester, is there an essay due? It's been a slight shambles for me this year.

• Advertisement

Nah there's no essay for US History AFAIK

What essay are ye all doin for Irish history? I haven't even looked at the titles..... better do that some time this week :(

Advertisement