Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

when you were a Kid on V-day...

• 14-02-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Did someone from your Family put a card in the Letterbox for you?
    ...or was it just me?? :o

My 11 year old nephew is after getting one but apparently its Genuine! so cute!!

I remember getting one or two and thinking they were really Genuine the big Feckers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've never gotten one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yes, always got one from my Mum. Never copped on to the identical writing though! :) Its sweet.

In fact...I didn't get one from her today :mad:

Mum, mum.....MUM???!!!

azezil wrote: »

U
    R
    CUTE!

Now pet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This is the only day of the year our postman swaps his van for a container lorry, just to bring the post - not!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

thankfully there hasn't been loadsa reminders today that its any different to any other day! :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

got a card a few years back and never since... they werent from family..was friends taking the pi$$ :( but the lady should have gotten me one today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My friend used to get one every year from her mum. She had really distinctive handwriting but my friend would insist it was from a secret admirer no matter what i said. She then wanted to discuss who i thought the secret admirer was. i kept saying your mum.. but she didn't want to know.

She wasn't the brightest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Me neither.

sueme wrote: »

U
    R
    CUTE!

Now pet!

I don't really think you're his type. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It was the year I got two that freaked me out. One, I knew, was family piss-taking, the othercame otu of left field...

Poo out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Terry wrote: »
    I don't really think you're his type. :)
    quite you fool!, if it'll mean getting a valentines day card, everyones my type ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Never got any when I was a kid :( I was an awkward looking child, my mother didn't bother patronising me... For that, I'm grateful...

*sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Niamho! wrote: »
    Did someone from your Family put a card in the Letterbox for you?
    ...or was it just me?? :o

My 11 year old nephew is after getting one but apparently its Genuine! so cute!!

I remember getting one or two and thinking they were really Genuine the big Feckers!!
    My better half does that with our kids. I was lucky to get a b-day card so never surprised not to get V cards from family when younger

quite you fool!, if it'll mean getting a valentines day card, everyones my type ;)

Terrys just jealous, don't mind him.

He's such a big bully! *sniffles*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I got a few from my dad. Awww.... Got one one year, complete mystery, still don't know who sent it. Never got anything else from whoever it was. They mustn't have liked me that much.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Opplock

I always had a few friends and we would send each other cards to keep our spirits up.

I always had a few friends and we would send each other cards to keep our spirits up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I mentioned this on another thread a while ago but I'll say it again. My mother used to cut mass cards into heart shapes and make me Valentine's cards (my granny always had loads because she used to sell them). She'd never pretend they were from someone else though and she'd write funny poems on them like this one:

Oh Judy you're a rudy,
    Always in your nudey
    But no matter what you doodie
    You're still my Valentine!

Best card I've ever gotten. I'm convinced she only named me Judy so that ridiculous things would rhyme with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Legend has it that my mum got one of her friends to send my dad a valentines card every year... Yarrr! He was none the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ohh I used to get them...

I remember this one year, flowers and a card arrived at the door, I was about 15, They were sent around by some lad who used to work in the shop next to my part time job... he was about 30...Feckin eejit...

i always buy 1 for my daughter Its always in the letter box by the time we get home... She sent one this year for the first time... Dying to hear what happens in school on monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Always got one when i was younger, but as i grew up i recognised the handwriting as my mams friend. And when my mam's friends son showed me his i twigged my mothers handwriting.

Hasn't been one in a few years though!

I dunno what's happening with this thread but I can't seem to access the replies past my own post. It's saying people have posted after me but it ain't showing up when I come into the thread....Bizarre.

EDIT: Working now for whatever reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

My parents used to give us ones as kids but they never pretended that it was from anyone else.

Only ever got one proper one, hand delivered too - If anyone can think of something more embarrasing than her and her dad at the door and my mam standing behind me as she handed me the card let me know!!! (We were about 7!) I think i mumbled thank you, or at least I hope I did. Took some guts from that wee girl.

Now on a much more important note:
    LadyJ wrote:
    Always in your nudey
    Niiiiiiiiice ;)

Drift wrote: »
    Niiiiiiiiice ;)

Until I was about 6, I'd always take off my knickers when I got home from school. Absolutely hated them! Thankfully I grew out of that.

LadyJ wrote: »
    Until I was about 6, I'd always take off my knickers when I got home from school. Absolutely hated them!
    Way to make me look like a perv! :rolleyes:
    Unfortunately I grew out of that.
    Fixed

I mentioned this on another thread a while ago but I'll say it again. My mother used to cut mass cards into heart shapes and make me Valentine's cards (my granny always had loads because she used to sell them). She'd never pretend they were from someone else though and she'd write funny poems on them like this one:

Oh Judy you're a rudy,
    Always in your nudey
    But no matter what you doodie
    You're still my Valentine!

Best card I've ever gotten. I'm convinced she only named me Judy so that ridiculous things would rhyme with it.
    Hi Judy! /wave

splinter wrote: »
    Hi Judy! /wave

Wave doesn't rhyme with Judy!

Wave doesn't rhyme with Judy!
    hi judy! cooo-eeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Never got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

i got one from my dad one year, think it was the year i started secondary school, i was grotesque, train tracks, perm, gangly *shudder*. i think he was trying to make me feel better, I knew it was from him even though it said secret admirer. I used always make one for my mum, not any more though

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The moral of this thread is that women perpetuate the crap that is valentines day by giving their female children them from an early age.

Considering the views I have, I'm sure it will come as a big shock to one and all that I have never got one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We didn't really celebrate Veteran's Day in our house.

star-pants wrote: »
    :eek:

Weird.....This doesn't happen to me a lot.... Are you nudy too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

V-Cards.. I never get them. Doesn't mean much to me anyway, I hate the whole affair.

I remember back when I was a kid I used mad art skillz to make everyone in the class a personalised V-Card (also cos I was poor) and remember being disappointed when nobody else seemed to have put any thought into it at all. Just a bunch of hallmark paper with names scribbled on them haphhazardly. I dont think I've given out a valentine's card since o.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Weird.....This doesn't happen to me a lot.... Are you nudy too?

Never happened me before...

I'm not nudie right now though..

Weird.....This doesn't happen to me a lot....! Are you nudy too?
    Every time I see your user name I think of an angel.
    Are you an angel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I got a bunch of flowers when I was about 6 or 7, turns out it was from my cousin. Probably one of my most successful valentine's days.

Edit: On second thoughts the above comment could be misinterpreted as implying some incestuous goings on, this certainly was not the case :D.

Speaking of flowers.
    My cousins kid (he's autistic) decided to bring a vase and flowers up to my house today.

He has no idea that it's valentines day, but I thought it was funny anyway.

He decided that I needed some floral decoration in my house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

I never got one either :(
    Unless you count when I was 12 and the class bullies left one in my bag, then when my friend pointed it out and I picked it up, they took it from me, said 'such and such' had wrote it and I had to go out with him, I said no, then he said well it was only a dare and I looked like Goofy anyway, then they ripped the card up :eek::(

note: years later one 2 seperate occassions, 2 of the most prominent bullies tried chatting me up in clubs, I took great pleasure in reminding them who I was :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Cazlou wrote: »
    note: years later one 2 seperate occassions, 2 of the most prominent bullies tried chatting me up in clubs, I took great pleasure in reminding them who I was :D:D:D

Vengence is a dish best served to a horny man in a nightclub :D .... and cold ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Drift wrote: »
    Vengence is a dish best served to a horny man in a nightclub :D .... and cold ;)

Amen!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

Cazlou wrote: »

this happened to me too!! a lad I had been mad about all through secondary school, and gave me dogs abuse, approached me in a nightclub over christmas, giving me all he had, i just stood there looking at him, and then said so ******* how's all with you, he had no idea who I was, did i go for it, did I fun, he was such a blx to me, it was nice to seem him grovel though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

sueme wrote: »
    Yes, always got one from my Mum. Never copped on to the identical writing though! :) Its sweet.

ha, reminds me of the time i lost my tooth in the yard in school. the tooth fairy wrote me a letter explaining she'd found it, and i got the money for it anyway.

turns out my mam just used a different coloured pen for every letter, and made it extra curly.

ha, twas an awesome thing at the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Speaking of flowers.
    My cousins kid (he's autistic) decided to bring a vase and flowers up to my house today.

He has no idea that it's valentines day, but I thought it was funny anyway.

He decided that I needed some floral decoration in my house. :)

aww! that's so cute! i've just started working in a creche/preschool thing (95% of kiwi kids apparently go to this, goes from 6 weeks to 5 years old), and one of the teachers got a load of roses which one of the kids who is also autistic, spetn about an hour arranging, then giving to the teacher again, one by one, and telling her she was beautifuller than the flower everytime he gave her one.

it was absolutely adorable, though i was too busy being eaten alive by a hand-puppet crocodile while trying to protect my newer piercings to be able to fully appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Was I the only one thinking "V-day? Why would somebody send you a card on V-day?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Did the whole card thing for my dd last night...

I put this little poem in it..

Roses are red,
    and sometimes are pink,
    You'll know who i am,
    Cause I will give you a wink...

She cant wait to get back to school on Monday..

She was delighted.

Did you see any cars go by Mammy?
    Who could it be Mammy?
    Do you think that looks like --- writing Mammy?

Ahh to be young again...:)

Every time I see your user name I think of an angel.
    Are you an angel?

No it must just be the way I'm standing....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

when i was about 15 i sent a card to girl who lived across the road from my godmother when she heard (my godmother) about this she returned a card to me with this girls forged signature on it.i was happy as a pig in ****e I thought i was in. until a few weeks later i found out the girl didnt send it.I have two kids now and my wife wanted to send them cards from secret admirers i said no way its not fair on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Never got cards but my dad used to get me a bunch of flowers ever year... a mini version of the bunch he'd get for mam. He doesn't do it any more though..... meanie!!:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement