Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymaloe Cookery School

Options
  • 14-02-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi guys just enrolled in 12 week cookery course in ballymaloe, was wondering if anyone had some feedback from personal experience at the school, what to expect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hi guys just enrolled in 12 week cookery course in ballymaloe, was wondering if anyone had some feedback from personal experience at the school, what to expect

A lot! I haven't done it but my parents have always wanted me to. All I know is that the course covers everything from the basics up. And it's supposed to be great fun. (For the price of it I'd be expecting a lot!)

Lucky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

how much is it?? is it like a residential thing? 12 weeks is EXTREME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd love to do it. Very envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Beerlao wrote: »
    how much is it?? is it like a residential thing? 12 weeks is EXTREME!!

Last time I checked it was over 9 grand. You can stay there as well in self-catering accommodation but that's extra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

are you doing it with a view to getting into the industry ?

I've considered doing the course myself but don't know anyone who has done the course.

I love cooking for myself and my significant other but the idea of 8 hours plus every day in a hot kitchen is a bit of a turn off.

anyway please let us know how you get on.

thanks,

Gollem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Yeah Gollum, want to get into the industry. I must admit that 8 hours in a hot kitchen doesn't appeal to me much either tho. I'm more interested in a more relaxed cookery environment like a little cafe or a catering company where it wouldn't be rediculous hours every day of the week more just a couple of days a week. Basically I want to work for myself with food and after 2 years of humming and hawing about it I bit the bullet, fingers crossed Darina likes my application and I get accepted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

this link might be of interest

http://www.bibliocook.com/archives/ballymaloe_cookery_course/index.html

i'm in work so haven't had a chance to read through it properly.

yeah found that the other day while doing a search. thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Would love to do a Ballymaloe course myself!

Kinda hijacking this thread... I'm doing a two day course in Dunbrody this weekend. Anyone hear any good/bad reports about the courses??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Less of that please Moonbaby.

I've deleted your post as I don't feel it's appropriate. This is about the cooking school.

Post anything like that again and you'll be banned.

• Advertisement

If I was spending my money there I would like to be aware of it.
    So I think it is very revelent Faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Cookiequeen,
    I dont have personal experience but two chefs that I have worked with went there. One is now a painter decorator (couldn't cut the mustard so to speak) while the other Chef now owns his own business. He has a stall at a number of Farmers Markets selling breads, pesto, and such like. He also has a thriving business in private catering. I work with him on occasion and usually end up cooking in Marquees on large private estates for weddings. Must be doing well for himself as he pays me extremly well.

Best of luck on the course. Personally I could'nt afford it, I had to do with Cathal Brugha St College....:D

Oh, also if you are looking to work in a catering company, Its not as relaxed as you may think. well then again it would depend on the contract. I work for a catering company and we put up over 1500 meals a day..

Thanks for that mildews, it helps to know what people have done after they have done the course. I shouldn't really have said anything about what I want to do after I leave because to be honest I have no idea. I just know I want to work with food and this is a direct route to it. Having to hand over the fees this week. Very painful I have to admit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Springstar

Hi Cookiequeen

Understand this is an old post, just checking how you got on with the course. Im thinking of doing the course but not 100% sure as yet as costs a lot etc but, though my heart is telling me to go for it.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement