Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best cms??

Options
  • 14-02-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Ho im wondering whats the best open source cms about since theres heaps. Im lookin for one that doesnt look like a forum/blog and is easily updated by one admin. Also lookin for one thats very easy to customize in dreamweaver or watever. Thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I personally like Drupal.

If you aren't looking for forum/blog features, what are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Check out: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/choosing-the-right-cms-platform-for-your-website-from-an-seo-perspective

people should be made read the first part of that article! (ie. the flowchart)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm working with a company using Kentico at the moment, it seems pretty good. Only problem is its not open source.

If your in any way tech savvy I would recommend DotnetNuke, though its a bit of a b*tch to get your head around at first.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    I personally like Drupal.

If you aren't looking for forum/blog features, what are you looking for?

Im looking for a normal website for, say a company who just mite want to update photos, news and maybe add a page.

was lookin at www.etomite.org there, seems nice, what do u think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

was lookin at www.etomite.org there, seems nice, what do u think?
    Depends on certain things imo, I've never tried etomite so I can't give you an opinion but I can't see much modules/theme's available for it(I'm open to correction on that), which tells me that if you're looking for a good image manager, you'll have to make your own.. It looks very nice though.

There is a CMS called PhpWebSite which has a Photo Album module, spruce it up with a nice template and it'll look well. It's not too complicated, but it's not too powerful either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

while it's a not 100% CMS, Wordpress can be powerful yet easy to customise and use... and yeah, it's FREE....

Marty

Just installed wordpress there. Do you know where i can get some good non-blog themes for it. Most of the themes are for bolgs/forums and i want to use it as a cms portal. Know of any gud ones?

Nah, wordpress is too awkward as a cms, im using joomla now, seems to be very good so far. Anyone have any experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I like CMS Made Simple. It really is very easy to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Expression Engine is pretty good. Very hard to say which one is the best. It all depends on your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Nah, wordpress is too awkward as a cms, im using joomla now, seems to be very good so far. Anyone have any experience of it?
    Yes, I use it quite a lot, i swear by it, although I know Forbairt hates it..

Personally, i think wordpress is a blog and it should only be used as a blog. it's the same way i think a car should be driven on a road and not in a field. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on that opinion.

I like CMSMadeSimple. It is very flexible, easy to customize. It's not very powerful, but it has all the features that a simple website will ever need. I used it for a while, but later removed because the client wanted a module put in, that wasn't available already, and that i wasn't bothered making, it would have taken me so long to do, with only sketchy php skills.

thanks nevf, but i do like driving cars in fields;)

Advertisement