Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox failure rate POLL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

It was my brothers birthday yesterday, family pitched in and got him an Xbox in GAME. Plugged it in, sat down and went to play it. Turns to me and asks me does the red light mean the console is on. When I saw those 3 red lights I wanted to cry. He'd been looking forward to it for so long I barely had the heart to tell him the truth.

So it back to the shop with it for a replacement. Not exactly the best foot to begin with when forking out 400 or so on a supposedly high-end electronic device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Reptileboy wrote: »
    It was my brothers birthday yesterday, family pitched in and got him an Xbox in GAME. Plugged it in, sat down and went to play it. Turns to me and asks me does the red light mean the console is on. When I saw those 3 red lights I wanted to cry. He'd been looking forward to it for so long I barely had the heart to tell him the truth.

So it back to the shop with it for a replacement. Not exactly the best foot to begin with when forking out 400 or so on a supposedly high-end electronic device.

was it a new falcon model.i.e was it 175 watt???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    was it a new falcon model.i.e was it 175 watt???

Yes. I made absolutely certain that the model I was getting was up-to-date. I think the person behind the counter was a little pissed that I was 'inspecting the merchandise' but in hindsight it hardly seemed worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Make sure it's definitely 3 red lights showing, if it's 4 it could mean the cable (video) isn't plugged in properly or isn't working. Otherwise, that definitely sucks, I'm sure your brother is disappointed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is it wrong to point out that 16% is not much higher then the normal expected failure rate of most electronics devices now days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

First died after 9 months.
    Second going strong since (~5 months).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Is it wrong to point out that 16% is not much higher then the normal expected failure rate of most electronics devices now days?

Absolutely , industry standard is 2% to start off a major FFA ( field failure analysis ), most products never have to start such a program ...so most products never hit a 2% fail rate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

is it just me and no offence meant by this, but does it not seem that people have 1 problem they tend to have 3 or 4.
    as in possibly its something they are doing, i'm probably wildly wrong but like when i see people who've had 3/4 xbox in a year and a half and i've owned 2 seperate consoles both of which have worked perfectly for a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

My Premium is going well since october, but it has stalled a few times which worries me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

mayordenis wrote: »
    is it just me and no offence meant by this, but does it not seem that people have 1 problem they tend to have 3 or 4.
    as in possibly its something they are doing.

no offense taken , but for me it was two 360's i had from brand new ( not refurbs ) that where kept in a well ventilated area away from other heat sources and defiantly nowhere near a radiator etc... that died from redringitis.

i have had no trouble with my ps3 , will , sky+ box etc that are all around the same area with no trouble.

now for me the one thing i did not want to get into with the xbox 360 was getting a refurb 360 back from ms . after reading and having some friends that had trouble with there repaired 360's i traded mine in once i got it back from ms.

and i think people getting refurbs that are not up to scratch back from ms is causing some people to put up that they have gone 3 , 4 , 5 360's etc... and not just the 3 rings but disk tray problems and 360's not reading disks and such .

now for me i love my 360 and playing on xbox live but if i send a 360 to get repaired and i don't get a brand new one back , the first thing i will do is get rid of it straight away as i would have no faith in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Got mine a year ago and it had died 4 times on me now each time it has been the motherboard and the shortest time between fixes was ONE month :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

No 1 - DVD Drive packed in after 11 months
    No 2 - RRod 3 after 3 weeks.
    No 3 - Has started making clucking sounds like a pissed off hen, I suspect the DVD drive again.

My WII has been dropped from a height of about 6 feet, received at least one tremendous boot from a 6 yr old and even had a Christmas card inserted into it's cd slot yet it merrily trucks on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Mine was a lunch day console and didnt die but for the sake of the poll i said it did, as it made a bzzzzzzzzz noise thorught the t.v i could not cope and rang mircosoft about 10 months later :p

Some of you might remenber em posting here about it?...

soo ye im on ym second at the moment and still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Mine passed on this evening, Disgusted.

Sending it away Monday I hope, two weeks of No Forza = Noooooooeeeeessss!!!!!!1111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I voted no coz my console hasn't died but it is giving some dvd drive trouble and is definitely faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

Given the sample size in this I think its a fair indication that the real failure rate is around 40% which is shocking for a modern piece of consumer electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Bought mine second hand, still hanging in there, DVD drive acting up occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

mayordenis wrote: »
    as in possibly its something they are doing, i'm probably wildly wrong but like when i see people who've had 3/4 xbox in a year and a half and i've owned 2 seperate consoles both of which have worked perfectly for a year and a half.

People whose console fail have to send their consoles off to MS to be 'repaired'.

Hence, if you experience one failure, the chances of you experiencing subsequent failures increase enormously cos you're dealing with refurbed/'repaired' consoles.

My year old 360 died at the end of 2007 due to being moved (I think something came lose inside). Anyway, it came back from M$ working perfectly and no problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I've had an Elite for 3 months now without a single problem but I've been lurking in this forum for a while now and everytime I turn it on I say a small prayer to the gods of gaming that the thing will live for another day. :)

It's a terrible thing to live in such fear... :rolleyes:

Is there any link between how much you play the thing and the chances of it dying? Will a 15 year old spotty lad that plays it for 8 hours a day have more consoles die than a 36 year old with a wife and two kids who only gets a chance to play it for an hour or two a night (if he's lucky!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

I am on my second 360 and it bricked last night i was so pissed of i tryed the towel trick and it worked:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Lasted about 11 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

had mine for nearly 2 years, no problems.

wasn't going to vote as it doesnt effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

Mine has no problems yet. It crashed once or twice when i first bought it during oblivion but nothing since then. It even survived an aer rianta flight from cardiff to dublin shortly after purchase.

But no problems in the nearly 2 years since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

had mine since launch day - i sent it back cuz i was unhappy with the dvd drive noise but that doesn't count.

same one back i did receive 3 red rings a few months ago but it hasn't seemed to affect it since - i suppose i should expect it.

1 thing is for sure, if it does go I am not sitting around for a repair - this thread will go some way to strengthening a legal case for a full refund/replacement immediately. plus MS's own admission to the problem

Why anyone accepts less than immediate satisfaction for a malfunctioning one is beyond me!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Daithi412

workin fine since i got it, september 07, how long do i have left :confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

First one lasted about a year. It surprisingly hasnt red ringed yet, but it ALWAYS froze while palying gears, and cod3. A few other games too, it was bloody annoying. I assumed it was going to RROD at any second so i just bought a core xbox and stuck my hdd in it.
    7 months later and the core has RROD'd, and my premium is suprisingly hale and hearty. Im playing turok on it while the core is shipped off to das vaterland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Had mine nearly 8 months then rrod, replacement fine since i got it it September

The other 360 in our bedroom is 3 months old. no problems as yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The results of this poll are quite disturbing almost half of the people that voted have had issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

koneko wrote: »
    Poll needs more options.

TA-DAAAA!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Indeed this is the second poll for the same issue in about 3 months , and the results are similar , approx 40% fail rate , as reported by most high street shops everywhere , Target say 33% etc etc , same story all over the net ,

I think the results are pretty conclusive at this stage , and good ol Microsoft , while denying the problem is anything like that bad , are now on the 5th and 6th generation motherboards in an attempt to fix the issue ,

http://play.tm/wire/click/1751477

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31669229/upcoming-and-future-xbox.aspx

This quote is interesting ,
    The Opus project is a "Falcon" generation motherboard designed to fit
    in a Xenon case. You can expect an 90 nm GPU but a 65 nm CPU. Opus
    solves a major hardware recycling and inventory problem since
    Microsoft currently has millions of used Xenon cases from RRODed dead
    systems and this lets them use most of the good parts from the
    millions of dead Xenons but with a newer tested more reliable
    motherboard.

Its interesting because of the low fail rate that microsoft claim.
    What is the current total sales of the xbox ? 15M ?

If they have " Millions" of Xenon cases , surely that puts the fail rate into double digits at least , and yet they denied the laughably low 16% rate recently claimed saying it was too high !!

A liar needs a good memory dont ya think ?

Advertisement