Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wife Selling car privately

Options
  • 14-02-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Involved in selling a car privately for the first time ever. Have advertised on CarZone and have a couple of potentially interested people coming to view. Just wondering what advice people have on this process. Obviously if a person turns up a test drive is required (no issues with this but I would imagine it would be appropriate to accompany the person in the car ) If the person decides to buy the car what is the best way to conclude payment and handover of the car. Without wishing to sound distrustful should I ensure that the payment method is legit ( bank draft, Cheque :eek: or good old cash :) ) before handing over car and paperwork.

What is the preferred / safest method to ensure I don't get ripped off ?

Should I draft receipt or another document for the buyer to sign

Also what obiglations do I have to the buyer after the sale.

Any advice welcome on this matter.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do a quick search, you'll find loads of advice on selling your car privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Have a look at Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk) and check out his section on selling and buying privately. Excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Some very good advise there on honest john.

Hopefully will be using it to help sell the Girlfriends car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Having done a bit of reading on the subject it would appear that the safest method upon agreeing to sell the car would be to meet the buyer at a bank so as to lodge bank draft or cash directly into my account. Only after the lodgement is sucessfully made would I hand over the keys.

** I would expect the bank would immediately notice if there were forgeries or a n invalid draft.

Also I would get the new owner to fill out his details on the Registration Cert and I would complete and post to Dept of Environment in Shannon.

I would imagine that if the buyer is genuine he / she should not have any issues with this.

Should I be providing receipt or something ???

Please note the car in question is a 05 with no known issues and is running fine. No issue with the buyer getting an AA check or similar mechanical check. But once its sold as far as I'm concerned I've no liability.

Not sounding harsh but whats the deal with private sales on this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

sold my car recently ,got cash from the buyer and had previouslt arranged to go to the bank and lodge the cash ,before car handed over,just in case it was fake or anything.worked out fine this way so it did.then he came with me to post office and posted the change of ownership forms.good to get it all out of the way in the one go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Macker1 wrote: »
    Obviously if a person turns up a test drive is required (no issues with this but I would imagine it would be appropriate to accompany the person in the car )

On that, I had a couple of people test driving my car before Christmas - neither of them even asked to drive it, they were happy to just be a passenger while I drove.

Unless they can prove they have have fully comp cover on your car, then I'd be hesitant letting them drive. If it's just around a car park, fine, but definitely sit in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Looks like I may have sold car:). After a viewing yesterday a guy has rang me up to say he was making a offer which I've accepted. He will be paying by bank draft so I said I would like to meet him at the bank so I can lodge it and make sure its legit.

Is this the right move ???

After that I will handover the keys. I take it we then fill out the change of ownership details and I would send the registration off to shannon. From reading previous posts on this forum me sending the form to Shannon is the appropriate thing to do.

Correct ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, that's a good idea of both of you going to the bank to lodge the draft.

It's your responsibility to send the docs to Shannon. Why not post them straight after you are finished in the bank and this way the buyer is happy you have done this.
    Everything sorted in one go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Scams work because the drafts can be lodged initially, which temporarily shows your account having the funds. I would get the draft number and ring the issuing bank and confirm it. It sounds pretty legit though.

Advertisement