Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best thing to say

Options
  • 14-02-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

this is a real cheesey one i know but its hard for a guy to walk up to a girl he likes and say something instantly to get her attention, hopefully ladies you can help me out. i'm looking for the best line or way you've ever been approched with or chatted up with by a guy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

edit: *Damn time warp*
    You don't need words

zoolander.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I find the use of the term "Lines" or "moves" normally leads to use of the term.....Epic Fail.

Trying just talking to them. That normally works a treat. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi,how are you?

That'd work for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

This worked for me one night - went up to guy 'hi, my name is *****. How are you?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Squeeze up beside someone while they are at the bar and just start talking...

Busy in here tonight.. etc..

If they are interested they will talk back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

best one ever "you dont sweat much for a fat bird"

I was at a bar one night and it was really quiet. When i went to the bar i caught the lass sitting at it waiting for her drink giving me the eye so i smiled at her and she just said "Sorry, not interested" to which i replied "Ah thats okay, i was just looking for a few hours of meaningless sex anyway, it wasn't important" and she just started laughing. An hour later we were still chatting and having great fun.

Just talking to people and fishing for a smile can do a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'd be confused by someone giving you the eyes and then straight away saying "Not Interested". Cheek!!

Lines are a big no no. "Hey, how are you?" goes a long way with us wimmins! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aluapnaej

I think try making eye contact, this is often very telling. Then like previous poster said, head for the bar at the same time and offer to buy her a drink or just start chatting casually. No chat up lines though, never work in my experience.

takola wrote: »
    I'd be confused by someone giving you the eyes and then straight away saying "Not Interested". Cheek!!

Well it could have been a million and one things. She could have been in a relationship so was working off the "look don't touch" rule. Or she might have been into ladies herself but able to appreciate a dude as well.

As it turned out she had just had a really horrible week, and while she found me good looking was in no mood for bull**** chat ups and such. So i just made her laugh and continued to do so and when we parted ways she felt a whole lot better, which is a nice thing to be able to do for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aluapnaej

Did you get her number?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

this isn't a real suggestion but i thought it was hilarious (im a guy btw). I was watching "The Pick Up Artist" on MTV Germany while on holiday, a show where the "master" pick up artist (known as Mystery!) teaches his "techniques" to a bunch of losers basically. Well one of the lines he taught them went as follows:

Guy: "Hi, hows it going? My names ..."
    Girl: "Hi, Im ..."
    Guy: "I read an interesting survey the other day in the paper, and id like to know what you think"
    Girl: "Ok..."
    Guy: "The survey said that 93% of women masturbate in the shower..."
    Girl: :eek:
    Guy"...while the other 7% just sing in the shower. Do you know what they sing??"

Girl: "Em, i dunno"

Guy: "Ah, so you must be one of the 93% then" ;)

And it worked! (On Americans anyway :) )

Talk to her like u would bullsh*t with any dude/ girl ur not atttracted to while in a busy queue. Dont treat her any differently just cos shes female. Obviously draw the line at makin inappropriate jokes/talkin about football etc but basially dont b intimidated by the fact that shes female!

If shes just respondin in "yeas" and "no's" and not smiling much/lookin around alot, then best to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just be yourself. Ha Ha Ha, yeah right.

If you're a bit ugly go for the "Don't walk away, I'm very very rich" approach.

aluapnaej wrote: »
    Did you get her number?

Nope. It wasn't going to go any further and neither of us would have wanted it to. Doesn't mean i would stop talking to her. We had a good chat, some good laughs and one or two nice kisses. Not everything needs to go meet->phone number->date->engagement->marrige etc

Hell sometimes it's okay to just kiss a girl, or just talk to a girl and not kiss her at all. I've spent a few hours just sitting there talking to certain girls and enjoying that just as much as anything.

Frankly i can get my rocks off a lot easier than i can find someone that i click with on a more intellectual level. When i find that, i like to enjoy it.

Dragan wrote: »
    Frankly i can get my rocks off a lot easier than i can find someone that i click with on a more intellectual level. When i find that, i like to enjoy it.

U durty mucker!! I thought u had class Dragan!!!

Only jokin, i know wat ya mean. So are to actually find a girl that I can talk to without the usual bullsh*t gettin in the way of that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

To be honest it's just like everything else in life, down to the individual, some girls love a cheesy chat up, others will instantly blacklist you if you try such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Not everything needs to go meet->phone number->date->engagement->marrige etc

thats where im going wrong, i always thought it was

meet > phone number > 7 days > 7 pints > phone call > sex > stealthy exit?

hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Send your friend over to tell her you fancy her while you blush and stare at the floor.
    Or as someone mentioned earlier try to catch eyes a few times but dont stare. Then when you catch her checking you out wink, rub your nipple with your finger while slowly rubbing your tongue across your lips.
    Or
    walk up and ask her why should we fight the chemistry then place a hand around her lower back and go for it.
    honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

on a night out in galway with my buddy of the opposite sex, we met 2 american girls, they thought we were an item cos we got on so well, they asked us how we met and quick as a flash my buddy told them that he was the fella who's equipment was used for making the mould for vbrators and i was the tester, they believed us

when i'm trying to gain a man's attention a lingering glance then look away and laugh at something hilarious my friend is saying, then keep an eye out for when they go for smoke or to the bar then suddenly appear beside them, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

I tend to find talking to utter strangers to be fruitless.

Introductions by friends on the other hand work really well.

A girl is far more likely to feel comfortable with you if you are a friend of a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

if you can make the girl laugh, that's a good start, a genuinely funny guy will keep my attention for a little while at least, chemistry or not. my dilemma is i know more single guys (friends) currently to go out with than single girls and while going out with "the male friends" is great fun and all that, it is nonetheless a chatting-up repellent :( is there any universal signal we girls can throw out there that shouts "he/they= FFFRIENNDDSSS" :confused: or just resign to the fact that ya just gotta have the girlies-only nites out? any more single ladies please???
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I was at a bar one night and it was really quiet. When i went to the bar i caught the lass sitting at it waiting for her drink giving me the eye so i smiled at her and she just said "Sorry, not interested" to which i replied "Ah thats okay, i was just looking for a few hours of meaningless sex anyway, it wasn't important" and she just started laughing. An hour later we were still chatting and having great fun.

Just talking to people and fishing for a smile can do a lot.

That was a bit Feckin Presumtuous (sp?)!!! my god. I would never say that to someone bwfore they even attempted something decent!! thats so up your own arse. lol
    But at least you had a good comeback that was cool! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

on a night out in galway with my buddy of the opposite sex, we met 2 american girls, they thought we were an item cos we got on so well, they asked us how we met and quick as a flash my buddy told them that he was the fella who's equipment was used for making the mould for vbrators and i was the tester, they believed us

when i'm trying to gain a man's attention a lingering glance then look away and laugh at something hilarious my friend is saying, then keep an eye out for when they go for smoke or to the bar then suddenly appear beside them, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

when it comes to strangers/people you dont really know... eye contact is almost alwyas your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

"FAT PURPLE PENGUIN"

"What?"

"That was an icebreaker, what's your name?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

"FAT PURPLE PENGUIN"

"What?"

"That was an icebreaker, what's your name?"
    ROFL
    She'll think you have Tourette syndrome!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Then when you catch her checking you out wink, rub your nipple with your finger while slowly rubbing your tongue across your lips.

:D

So this means a guy is interested? Damn, damn, damn those years of missed chances!!

farohar wrote: »
    ROFL
    She'll think you have Tourette syndrome!:D

Hmmm.....those ones often work the best! I find the odder the thing i say to a lass the better. If they respond well then i know they have a really cool sense of humour which is a big thing for me!

Two of my best were

- Walking up to a girl at a music festival and asking her would she like to lick my arm as it tasted like chocolate ( had overheard her saying she had the serious munchies! ) , so she licked my arm, looks me dead in the eye and says "You lie! Now you owe me one Dairy Milk, mother****er!" we had a great laugh and spent the rest of the festival kicking around together.

- Walking up to a girl in a nightclub and telling her this i had an emergency and needed her to come back in time with me, but i had only ever done it once before. Her reply was "oh thats okay, this is the past for me, i'm well used to time travel" and once again a good laugh was had by all.

Sure, not everyone responds like the above but not everyone will respond to everything and this way i find the type of girl i want to spend my time with.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scottty2Hottty

My absolute Favourite:

Me: 'Are you the kind of person who can take a compliment?'

Her: 'yeah I am'

ME: 'Me too, you go first' ;)

Its a real good ice breaker, you have a laugh and at worst you get a compliment out of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Me: "Polar Bear"
    Her: "Excuse me."
    Me: "Polar bear........ I don't know but its breaks the ice. Hi my name is xxxxx"

It worked once :)

Advertisement