Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another accommodation thread

Options
  • 14-02-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Dublin from Galway soon for a job near Kevin St/Stephen's Green area. Not having a whole lot of luck with the search as yet, only places i've been looking at is daft.ie and gumtree.ie. Anyone got any recommendations for a culchie? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Unless your dead set on living in Dublin, there's always the satalite towns. Lucan/Bray/Celbridge/Leixlip/Maynooth ?

Lower rent fo' sho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Might be easier if you get someone to share with you and look for aplace together.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Try looking for somewhere along the Luas line instead of the city centre, it stops at Stephen's Green and think it'd be handy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If as your sig suggests, you like beer. Then you don't want to be forking out for taxis out to M50 land after nights out so consider that into your costings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You should look in D2, parts of D7, D6 and D8. When you're in a new town, you want to be in a new town. Not spending 2-3 hours a day commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

jdivision wrote: »
    You should look in D2, parts of D7, D6 and D8. When you're in a new town, you want to be in a new town. Not spending 2-3 hours a day commuting.
    Yeah very true. I'm not familiar with Dublin apart from the central city (basically from Heuston to where the Point used to be, and Merrion Sq. to Gardiner St. lengthways :P). I did consider Maynooth since theres rail service out there for commuting, but as for going out, not a hope!

Is there accommodation listings in any local papers? Only ever seen that Metro paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Just the Herald as far as I know - their ads are online at www.loadza.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Varkov wrote: »
    Unless your dead set on living in Dublin, there's always the satalite towns. Lucan/Bray/Celbridge/Leixlip/Maynooth ?

Maybe a bit far out, what about Raheny, Clontarf area? Really well serviced, great public transport and nice enough to live in.

Welcome to Dublin Proxy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many of the newer bus routes, 127, 128, 129 etc. go to Stephen's green in the morning and return in the evening.
    You shouldn't rule out north of the river.
    Stephen's green is a short bike ride/energising walk from all of Dublin 1 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Proxy wrote: »
    I'm moving to Dublin from Galway soon for a job near Kevin St/Stephen's Green area. Not having a whole lot of luck with the search as yet, only places i've been looking at is daft.ie and gumtree.ie. Anyone got any recommendations for a culchie? :)

How soon are you moving up? Drumcondra is full of culchies ( :) ) like yourself you are going to college in the area. Alot of them will prob be moving out after the Easter break in the lead up to the exams and that.

• Advertisement

raheny red wrote: »
    How soon are you moving up? Drumcondra is full of culchies ( :) ) like yourself you are going to college in the area. Alot of them will prob be moving out after the Easter break in the lead up to the exams and that.
    Need to move within the next two weeks I suppose. Got job offer just the other day, need to work out the start date yet but they're being fairly sound about giving time to move.

Got an e-mail through college today, Room available off Griffith Avenue from March 1st, €90 per week. Sharing with three others. Don't know if it's only available to other students but if you're interested I'll pass you on the landladies phone number.

Yeah sure, any help appreciated - thanks a lot! Still haven't got much luck. Starting the job on March 3rd so next week is going to be a panic. Starting to look at different areas, previously was only really looking at Rathmines-area. Gonna have to look further out the Green Line.

Was recommended to look at Drumcondra and Glasnevin, any opinions? I don't have to stay on the south side since the job is central near Stephens Green...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Griffith Avenue is in Glasnevin. Be aware that if you're planning to cross the Liffey the bus/car will take forever (budget 15 minutes for O'Connell street alone)

Proxy wrote: »
    Yeah sure, any help appreciated - thanks a lot!

PM sent.

Advertisement