Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libraries?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm doing a project on the Library service, and I'm very interested in hearing peoples opinions on the Libraries in Dublin City.

Do you use the library?

If so, what for?

What do you think of the service?

What sort of services would you like to see, specifically online?

Any comments/opinions/stories about your experiences would be greatly appreciated. :D

Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What I don't like about Dublin libraries is that they all seem to open at different times.

Some open on Saturdays, others don't.
    Some close for lunch, others don't.
    Some stay open late, others don't.

Very annoying when you bring back overdue books only to find they're closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Do you use the library? Sometimes

If so, what for? Renting books for light reading mostly

What do you think of the service? Ugh, old fashioned and very basic

What sort of services would you like to see, specifically online? I wish theyd put that system where you can search available books online. Afaik they dont.

I think in general the libraries around Dublin are really old fashioned. Even if you look at the central library of dublin. Its in a crappy shopping centre and is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Haven't been to a library in nearly 20 years.
    When I think of the one I used to go to, I think of dusty smelly books.
    Surely the library offers much more services and is a focal point for more information now?
    They sure need to market themselves and make the public aware what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Em, the library catalog has been online for ages:
    http://libcat.dublincity.ie/dublinc/catalogue/home-frame.form

The biggest problem with the catalog is that although it might say the book is available, it's actually gone walkies. This is a big issue with the Central library in the ILAC.

I visit my local library (Marino) probably once a fortnight, returning books, or picking up books that I've reserved. That is a great feature, for 50c you can reserve a book online from any branch and in about 5-10 days it will be delivered to your local branch for pickup.
    Marino library itself is a bit dingy, and cramped for space, but space is at a premium in built-up areas so I'm more forgiving of that.

The quality of the staff is... variable. Some are keen and enthusiastic and put in an effort, others are just marking their card.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

Do you use the library? Rarely, but i was never out of it during my unemployable periods.

If so, what for? Books, cds (classcal stuff, the other catagories weren't the best),dvds, nature docs mainly and to use the internet to look for jobs.

What do you think of the service? Never had any problems, sometimes sluggish, but it's a library, it's a relaxing atmosphere

What sort of services would you like to see, specifically online? Ordering books in to a particular branch online? But it's pretty easy doing that over the phone at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I don't like that every library is different. The one in Phibsboro is tiny and has practically nothing, for example. The one up the road at Cabra / Navan Road is much better. Doesn't seem fair.

I know it's a Fingal library but the one in Blanchardtown is fantastic - great selection and great services.

I use the library lots - even more when I was in school / college.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

chris d wrote: »
    Do you use the library? Rarely, but i was never out of it during my unemployable periods.

If so, what for? Books, cds (classcal stuff, the other catagories weren't the best),dvds, nature docs mainly and to use the internet to look for jobs.

What do you think of the service? Never had any problems, sometimes sluggish, but it's a library, it's a relaxing atmosphere

What sort of services would you like to see, specifically online? Ordering books in to a particular branch online? But it's pretty easy doing that over the phone at the minute.

Ok, obviously it hasn't been publicised, but this service has been available for the past few months on the online catalog!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

2227185021_32663bf7fa_o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    2227185021_32663bf7fa_o.png
    That's the funniest thing I've read in weeks. :D

I use libraries quite regularly but I am continually annoyed that many people, including the staff seem to feel that it is appropriate to talk loudly, answer mobile telephones etc. :(

Advertisement