Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st provisional expired. New Learners Permit. Is it my first or second license?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Quick question.... I had my first provisional, but it expired in 2000.

I recently got one of the new learner's permits in November 2007, so in affect its my second provisional.

Because my first one expired, does this mean that I am technically back to my first and do I have to wait the 6 months before I can do my test?

I can't find anything on the RSA website that has this situation explained...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Quick question.... I had my first provisional, but it expired in 2000.

I recently got one of the new learner's permits in November 2007, so in affect its my second provisional.

Because my first one expired, does this mean that I am technically back to my first and do I have to wait the 6 months before I can do my test?

I can't find anything on the RSA website that has this situation explained...

It's counted as your first. I believe if you had you're first provisional within 5 years of Oct 2007 (think this is the date?) you'd be on your second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I got my first provisional in 2006 and am now renewing.
    So it will be counted as a second permit?
    I can't find info on this on the rsa site. :(
    I really want my full license so want to sit a test asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tuxy wrote: »
    I got my first provisional in 2006 and am now renewing.
    So it will be counted as a second permit?
    I can't find info on this on the rsa site. :(
    I really want my full license so want to sit a test asap.
    Second Learner Permit.

Excellent, thanks for the info.
    Also does anyone know how long the renewal process normally takes?

does anyone know how long the renewal process normally takes?
    2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Excellent, thanks for the info.
    Also does anyone know how long the renewal process normally takes?

Does anyone know if you have to wait until the date has passed before you can renew or can you do it a week or two before to allow for the processing time?

Also is there a form I can download?

Thanks!!

storka wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to wait until the date has passed before you can renew or can you do it a week or two before to allow for the processing time?
    You can do it beforehand

storka wrote: »
    Also is there a form I can download?
    No, licence application/renewal forms can't be downloaded as there is a little piece of sticky paper on the form which has to be signed and is subsequently attached to the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Do people generally apply to renew their provisional licence through the post?Is it also possible to apply in a motor tax office and if it is do they have the necessary forms there or do you still have to get them from a Garda station?

Also, (might be a stupid question) is it legal to drive when you've sent off for your licence to be renewed?

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Do people generally apply to renew their provisional licence through the post?Is it also possible to apply in a motor tax office and if it is do they have the necessary forms there or do you still have to get them from a Garda station?
    The Motor Tax Office will have all the forms.
    TheNibbler wrote:
    Also, (might be a stupid question) is it legal to drive when you've sent off for your licence to be renewed?
    If the licence is still valid, get a photocopy of it before posting it and keep the copy in the car. It makes it easier if stopped at checkpoints. Most Gardai won't bat an eyelid anyway as it's a situation they come across all the time. They may ask you to produce at you local Garda Station within 10 days.

If your licence has already expired and you drive, it's considered to be a very minor offence and not to be confused with driving without a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I passed my Irish test in 2001. Wasn't in a rush to exchange provisional for actual licence.

Misplaced the provisional till after it had expired.

Am I doomed to start all over again. Please break it to me gently if true...

have I the status of an 18 y/o for example, brand new applicant?

tampopo wrote: »
    I passed my Irish test in 2001. Wasn't in a rush to exchange provisional for actual licence.

Misplaced the provisional till after it had expired.

Am I doomed to start all over again. Please break it to me gently if true...

have I the status of an 18 y/o for example, brand new applicant?
    :eek: :eek: :eek: You allowed the Certificate of Competency to expire - the Cardinal sin of Learning to Drive! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm afraid you are back to square one. You'll have to apply for a 1st Learner Permit and be accompanied at all times, wait 6 months before taking a driving test, accompanied driver must have held a full licence for at least two years etc.

I'm shocked! :eek:

* goes for a lie down *

think I'll go for a lie down meself.

'thanks' for confirming my worst fears (goes to moan at wife for tidyin' up so well)

b#gger

I'm still in shock! I can't imagine how you must feel! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: You allowed the Certificate of Competency to expire - the Cardinal sin of Learning to Drive! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    * goes for a lie down *

didn't actually 'allow' it .... put it off and when went to get it, couldn't find it with zero help from she who must be obeyed, and who'd tidied it away, but denied everything.

but yeah, quite, quite, in fact very pissed off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Oh dear! It's heartbreaking to read this thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi I just got my new license in the post and noticed as above it says Learner Permit on it. From reading the above posts I feel better now, but shouldn't it say 2nd learner Permit on it????? As I renewed it from my first provisional. Its all a little confusing plus my test is on Friday! Surely they wouldn't have issued me with the wrong permit!! :confused:

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi I just got my new license in the post and noticed as above it says Learner Permit on it. From reading the above posts I feel better now, but shouldn't it say 2nd learner Permit on it????? As I renewed it from my first provisional. Its all a little confusing plus my test is on Friday! Surely they wouldn't have issued me with the wrong permit!! :confused:
    The licences/learner permits have code numbers on them to indicate which one they are.

Your Learner Permit should have "992" printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yep

991 - First Permit
    992 - Second Permit
    993 - Third or Subsequent Permit

Allowing a Certificate of Competency to lapse I'm speechless :eek: all I can say is WTF :confused: :eek: I got passport photos, money from the ATM, brought the cert to the tax office and filled out the app - all within the hour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Ouch , you will probably find it alot harder to pass now...

Advertisement