Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of coffee in Portarlington garages..

• 14-02-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

Every morning on my way to work I stopped in the new Maxol in Port for my coffee...€1.85 please' the lovely girl said every day and I happily handed over my €2.

On Monday I was very early and the only garage open was the Texaco...went in, got my coffee...and the lovely man said 'That'll be €1.50 please!!'

35c difference...WTF!! You know where I'll be every morning now! (Mind you, I should whisper, cos you know that when one of them puts up their petrol price the other one immediately follows suit!)

***and I'm not looking for a lecture about the fact I could make my own coffee blah, blah, I'm just fascinated about the fact that over the space of about 500 feet there is a 35c price difference for the exact same product!***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

you should have said nothin curvy cause now there gona put it up close to the same price, anyway i think they just think of a price and say we will charge that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Texaco would have better fuel too - better mileage.

well curvy just checkin to see where do you get your coffee from these mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

ports best wrote: »
    well curvy just checkin to see where do you get your coffee from these mornings

Depends on the mood now! There's a friendly fella in the Texaco and a moany fella! If the moany one is on, I pay 35c extra cos the girls in Maxol are so smiley at half 5 in the morning :D

Think that sums up the world really ~ happy, smiley girls in the mornings, moany fella's in the mornings ;):D

ah curvy not all of us men are moany in the morning ya no,;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

no just most of ye's are!!! :D

ah ruby theres no need to be like that now:cool:

well lets call a spade a spade like! :)

sopose so ruby, i wonder what does curvy vixen think

I think it depends on whose company he's in at the time LOL ;);)

• Advertisement

lol lol lol

I think it depends on whose company he's in at the time LOL ;);)

:p LOL

Never mind the price of coffee people! i had my car checked out for NCT and changed oil etc and i picked it up last night from the garage in town along with the hefty bill of 450euro WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldve bought a new car for that price! my car is a 1litre for flips sake! and its never ever cost me that to get a service even! im still getting over the bill. it better pass the NCT this weekend or there'll be heaps and heaps of trouble!!!! :mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Did you get a receipt for what work was carried out? that seems very expensive!!! Any idea of what labor costs per hour in that place?

no he didnt give me a receipt as he had it all written out in his book. i read through it though. the labor was something like 150euro. there was like 4 liters of oil, 4 spark plugs, gear oil, 2 new wipers, 4 tyres which were like 30euro each so thats fine, but the rest of it im mind boggled. i expected to pay about 250 max!

With the tires and everything i'd say the price would really start to add up. VAT was probably charged on top of the total as well. Personally I use RS Auto's in the canal Business park. Beside the railway bridge on the Portlaoise Rd. I found them to be spot.

kikel wrote: »
    With the tires and everything i'd say the price would really start to add up. VAT was probably charged on top of the total as well. Personally I use RS Auto's in the canal Business park. Beside the railway bridge on the Portlaoise Rd. I found them to be spot.

ah right! damn it anyway! i didnt know about them. this was the garage on the square...very pricey indeed!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,876 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kikel wrote: »

I use RS autos for everything as well.
    highly recommend them. Not cheap but still reasonable, and i find them to be very honest (having been ripped off in other garages)

I found them to be very cheap compared to other garages in other parts of the country. Anyway still highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Thanks for the tip off ruby!
    Our nct is up since end jan so it on the "to do list"!

Our old car was a 94 astra and it was a banger and it didn't cost us that much honestly ruby I'd go back and check that list again!

Normally what we do is put it throught the test 1st see what it fails on especially when you could spend a fortune on doing it for the test and then get fail for emissions or something like it!

• Advertisement

ruby you prob went to th edearest spot in the town, that garage is sean ryans shur hes notorious for ripping people off, i got my car serviced last from an opel dealer and it cost €280... i bet ya wont go back there again, hows thw puppy doin

Another vote here for RS Auto's. I picked my car up a couple of weeks ago after having major work done ~ head skimmed, valves replaced, new battery, new timingbelt/water pump etc etc and it cost €1100. My only complaint with them, if you could call it that, was that I was told it would be ready Friday, then Monday, then Tuesday and got it on Wednesday in the end. It didn't pose too much of a problem cos I had my Dad's car to run around in but it could have done if I was hiring a car.

Would absolutely recommend them though and after taking my car to Opel main dealers for 11 years I will take her back there for servicing and repairs.

Just one thing ~ they told my Dad when he picked up my car that they are moving soon though not sure where to??

Oh, and one other thing that I nearly dropped at, was that they DO NOT take credit cards!! Although they quoted me the price of €1100 in advance they never told me about the credit card thing ~ not many people have €1100 in their pocket as small change :eek: so be aware!

ruby you prob went to th edearest spot in the town, that garage is sean ryans shur hes notorious for ripping people off, i got my car serviced last from an opel dealer and it cost €280...

Are you another Opel lover ports best????

Yeah i got hit my the Credit Card\Laser thing as well. They are only a start up company so i presume they will get that sorted at some stage. They are moving to a new premises in the same estate i hear.

ruby you prob went to th edearest spot in the town, that garage is sean ryans shur hes notorious for ripping people off, i got my car serviced last from an opel dealer and it cost €280... i bet ya wont go back there again, hows thw puppy doin

:confused: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

im so p***ed right now!!!! i cant believe he rips people off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah rs autos are just moveing about 300 metres down the business park on the keft hand side, its a new premises, they do like to take there time with cars doh, otherwise there spot on, hows everyone today

im ok thanks. had to leave Mini into the vets this morning for an operation. im not the same cos shes goin under anaethestic. i know i shouldnt worry but sniff sniff

ah she be ok ruby, whats up with her

Is she getting her lady garden bits sorted Ruby????

• Advertisement

Is she getting her lady garden bits sorted Ruby????

lol lmao! no not yet. she has to be 6 months for that lol. no she has an umbilical hernia so she is in having that removed basically. poor thing. shes so small to be going into surgery. i havent been worth a button all day just worrying about the surgery, i can collect her at 4pm so i cant wait. :)

whats this you talk about curvy

PB, it's where you plant a little seed and a flower grows ;)

lol lol lol lol.. thank you curvy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Silent Rain

Hey,
    Hate to bring back up a painful point, but I always go to that garage in the Square. When I dropped my car in for the NCT he actually brought it over to the NCT place in Portlaoise for me and I collected it that evening. (Saved me having to take the day off work).
    On that basis alone Sean's a sound man.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Hey silent rain

welcome to boards! feel free to look up drinks thread and come along if you'd like seeing as you in port you might be up for it!

• Advertisement

well in most cases i heard hes very expense, how much did all that cost you silent

Thanks for the welcome Undecided.
    PB I dropped down the car with instructions to get it in order for its NCT which was in a week. He replaced 2 tyres, the brake pads (I knew they were shot) then did the usual oil change etc. I didnt realise until I went to collect it that he'd actuallly rang the place to see if there was an opening and had brought it over and back.
    Have been going to his place for bits n bobs for years though so he knows the face.Total cost was approx €250. (As I said was about a year ago)

that wasnt to bad silent, it didnt seem like a good deal for ruby j doh when she left her car down

I do agree with you there. It would seem to me that "streamlined efficiency" and "modern business practices" are probably not terms which would spring to mind when thinking about "The Square" so the prices & service you get could vary greatly from day to day. I think Ruby J mentioned the Big Book used as an accounting system.

ah i no wot your sayin silent, he still does a job i sopose so its all good isnt it

• Advertisement

Guess so, and to get back to the topic heading, the Square is definitely to be avoided if you're looking for a cuppa coffee.

Thanks for the welcome Undecided.
    PB I dropped down the car with instructions to get it in order for its NCT which was in a week. He replaced 2 tyres, the brake pads (I knew they were shot) then did the usual oil change etc. I didnt realise until I went to collect it that he'd actuallly rang the place to see if there was an opening and had brought it over and back.
    Have been going to his place for bits n bobs for years though so he knows the face.Total cost was approx €250. (As I said was about a year ago)

unreal!!! i cant believe it! i wish he hadnt charged me so much!

Welcome to the board silent rain!

ruby ya may just cut your losses on this now, but you did seem to get ripped off, hows d puppy

ruby ya may just cut your losses on this now, but you did seem to get ripped off, hows d puppy

i know yeh. i guess i will.

mini is doing good. she has to wear a cone on her head so shes a bit tormented by that as shes so tiny and its so big! she should have her stiches out by next friday so she'll be right as rain for the meet! :D

lol cone on her head id say thats funny lookin, shes doin good thats the main thing

Cheers Ruby-J,

Nice to hear your pups doing well, aside from her ego, try to make sure that she doesnt get out in the rain... If she looks up for a long time it could have disasterous consequences.

lol lol lol silent rain;)

Cheers Ruby-J,

Nice to hear your pups doing well, aside from her ego, try to make sure that she doesnt get out in the rain... If she looks up for a long time it could have disasterous consequences.

Lmao!!! hahaha yeh i had to fill her water bowl up to the brim to prevent her from doing that. she already managed to catch waer in it and spill it all over herself. she wasnt happy about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Hey,
    Hate to bring back up a painful point, but I always go to that garage in the Square. When I dropped my car in for the NCT he actually brought it over to the NCT place in Portlaoise for me and I collected it that evening. (Saved me having to take the day off work).
    On that basis alone Sean's a sound man.
    :confused:

When my boyfriend went to Mass on Christmas Day, he came out of the church to find the air in one of his tyres was gone. He managed to put enough air in the tyre to get home but we were keeping an eye on the tyre until we could get it to a garage. It seemed to be OK but just to be sure he brought it into the Square garage on the 27th. Not sure if too many other places were open that day! He said the fella in there was very nice and checked the tyre for him. Seems some ragamuffin just let the air out of the tyre for the craic. Merry Christmas ho ho ho...:rolleyes:

We normally get bits and bobs on our car sorted in the place we bought it, main reason being we get a courtesy car off them (always seems to be filthy and stink of cigarette smoke no matter what we get but can't be helped I suppose!) and we were under warranty up to fairly recently with them so we got a good few things done. They claimed they sorted the tracking in the car out but we failed the NCT on that by some considerable margin. Suppose it could have been that dodgy bog road to Monasterevin! :D

well if that road to monastrevin dosent sort out a car nothing will, jaysus its like been in the outback, you would be all over the road

• Advertisement
Advertisement