Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn funds, Which ones to pick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

If I was you I'd do a small bit of reading on building portfolios. What you'll probably be trying to do is spread your money around (diversification) so that you don't have everything in one basket. Also you'll have to decide how much risk you want to take on - generally the riskier the funds the higher the expected long term returns but also the more likely they are to fluctuate significantly. Bio and Tech are traditionally high risk funds.

The ISEQ has flopped last year and this is exactly the time when you should be considering putting money in, not staying out of it! Myself I spread my money around a couple of funds and I don't try to speculate too much as to what way they're going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I'm actually thinking about lumping a bit into the celtic fund when the majority of the financials have their financial statements audited.

With regards to funds do you guys consider the nav in terms of the expenses costs?
    A larger fund would more easily absorb all operating expenses and the expense ratio would not be not that much higher than the management fees.

Is there any other companys other and Quinn or Rabo who offer easy access to funds for the ordinary man in the street at a relatively cheap entry/exit cost?

Are there any industry index funds easily accessible for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Are there any industry index funds easily accessible for example?
    Quinn are the cheapest I've come across in Ireland. You could also trade ETFs (hundreds of index fund choices) with a stockbroker, but you have to be aware of fees. Certainly for a few hundred euros a month Quinn would be a better choice, but maybe once a year you might decide to move your Quinn money into a direct ETF.

The NAV should be considered and so should a spread when it comes to ETFs. How much the NAV matters depends on the fund and you'll have to make your own mind up on this. Usually there is a wider NAV discrepency for exotic funds.

Vanguard are the leading US provider of index funds but they require 100k minimum from Irish customers.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Is there any other companys other and Quinn or Rabo who offer easy access to funds for the ordinary man in the street at a relatively cheap entry/exit cost?

There is a list of low-cost providers in this thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=37142 of askaboutmoney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have money in the following and this is their monthly return in the last 30 days

Euro Freeway Investment -9.46
    Celtic Freeway Investment 0.14
    China Freeway Investment -0.43
    Emerging Markets Freeway Investment 5.16
    Latin America Freeway Investment 8.88
    Biotech Freeway Investment -1.12
    Technology Freeway Investment -4.16

Latin america and Emerging have been my only saviour in the last 6 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement