Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no 12v????

• 14-02-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I've got a problem with the electrics on my 92 A521..

After having some friends stay over in the van and flatten the leisure battery, I can't get it to charge via the mains or get anything to run on the 12v system..

There is power coming into the van as the fridge and socket are live..

Where do I start tracking down the fault??

Prior to this, the green light on the control bord (bord 804) used to light up when the mains was plugged in, this isn't the case now?

The electrics (lighting etc..) also don't come on now with the engine running either... suggesting that the engine isn't charging the leisure battery either.

Any suggestions, ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Batteries don't take kindly to being completely discharged ...it could simply be kaputt :D

Is it serviceable? Can you have peek inside and see if it needs a water top-up?

Anyhow ...before you start dismantling the 12V installations in your van on a fault finding mission, I'd suggest you try a known good battery first (rob the one out of your car for a quick test for example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Cheers Peasant ... I'd thought about doing that (on the subject of batteries, a neighbour of mine is importing some second hand gel batteries if anyone out there is interested)..

What concerns me is that I thought the lighting etc. should come on when on hook-up?? Or is it the case that this only happens if the battery is working as well??

Chris

chrisblack wrote: »

What concerns me is that I thought the lighting etc. should come on when on hook-up?? Or is it the case that this only happens if the battery is working as well??

Chris

I'm not 100% sure ...all I know is that in my case the lights won't work on hookup if the leisure battery is removed (probably because the circuit is broken with the battery missing).

So it stands to reason that a completely knackered battery might also act as a circuit breaker.

For lights to work on hookup without the battery you would need a) a transformer (turning 230V into 12V) and b) separate wiring from the transformer to the lights. Not many vans would have such an installation.

Normally all the hookup does is get the charger to work and thus supply a full charge to the battery (making the lights go brighter if the battery was weak before).

I still think all you need is a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If you have a meter available connect it across the terminals of the leisure battery. You should get 12volts ish... Start your enging and it should rise to 13.5 -14volts. That will indicate if there is any life in the battery and if the altenator is charging it. Also try this with the mains supply on/off.

Next, if there were people in the van is it possible they turned off an isolation switch. Most motorhomes have a 12v and mains isolation switch.

When you say the fridge and socket has power do you mean 12volts or 230v?

If the fridge is running on 12volts that would indicate the leisure battery is okay and your problem is a fuse/isolation switch somewhere before your control panel.

The Fridge is running off 220v, not from the engine... and unfortunately I'm not technical enough to have a meter in my tool cupboard to check the voltages...

I'm going to try out a different battery before I go any further... hopefully as Peasant suggested it could be as simple as that.

Chris

• Advertisement

Have you got jump leads?

In that case you needn't fit the alternative battery. Just place it in the van and connect it via the jump leads to the (correct polarity) cables that you took of the suspect battery.

Could save you some time on the test, depending how awkwardly your leisure battery is stowed.

Peasant

Go raibh maith agat.... the jump leads worked a treat... so I guess the battery died... Just have to wait for my neighbour to take delivery of these gel batteries for around €40... (got a quote for a new battery from a local garage and nearly fell through the floor when he said €380,with a big smile on his face, joking that the price of lead is astronomical at the moment)

Oh yeah and remember in the future to instruct anyone who uses the van to make sure they turn off all the lights during the day!!!

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

One more thing to check, remove a terminal on your leisure battery and start your engine. If you get some lights it will indicate your altenator is okay and is capable of charging the battery.

Advertisement