Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many days grace do you get for insurance

Options
  • 14-02-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

My insurancer lapses on the 10th March. I will be in Thailand when it does. When i get back i'd say the funds could be low and my next payday is start of April

Is there a days of grace period in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

:D

none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My insurancer lapses on the 10th March. I will be in Thailand when it does. When i get back i'd say the funds could be low and my next payday is start of April

Is there a days of grace period in Ireland?

consider "freezing" your car insurance whilst your away making sure its parked somewhere safe and under lock and keep in a garage preferably. Then , when you get back - reinstate your insurance and it might give you the time to get your funds back in order.

depends on the insurer tho'

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm pretty much sure that insurance cover officially ceases on the dot of the end date/time on the documents.
    Most of the insurance companies I know of will (or at least, used to) give a week or so of 'grace', but I wouldn't like to be relying on it if something gave rise to a big claim.
    What are your insurance company saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Not a good idea, usually they will leave it for about a month but best off paying it straight away. or try setup stage payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know that FBD will carry it on a little 1-2 weeks, I switched to the AA last year and it finished on the dot, no extension. I know as I forgot to renew and drove round for 6 weeks with no insurance..:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We give a month untill it lapses... that's the AA. But that's only for paying it, if not you have to set a new policy. My advice, get a loan off someone to pay it and suspend the policy from renewal, that way when you reinstate it you will get some money back from the time that it was suspended for.

Or sort out some direct debits, that way it will come out each month from renewal and you will not need to worry about having to pay it all in a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Brokers have credit agreements with insurance companies, so if your thru a broker check with them.
    If your direct tru an insurance company, there are no days grace as renewals are sent out weeks in advance giving you plenty of notice. (altough they can go last minute on the odd occasion)

Advertisement