Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs to play on the acoustic guitar

• 14-02-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Ive been playing the guitar(to not a very high standard;)) on and off for about 8 years now.

Anyway after leaving it idle for about 5 months I decided to restring it yesterday...great...problem is I've been playing the same tunes for yonks and I cant think of anything decent to learn to play.

Everything either seems to be incredibly simple and hence not very satisfying to play, massively difficult or just sounds plain ****..

So what are your favourites to play on the acoustic? could you recommend me a song to learn that sounds goo and is not just G/C/D. Perhaps there is even a book you could recommend with some good numbers in it. I like almost anything that can be played on an acoustic country & western, Blues rockabilly, folk and rock and roll from the 60's & 70's right up to modern stuff like Oasis so anything really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

classical gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Leonid wrote: »
    classical gas

+1

Maybe Bouree by Bach? I love playing that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

How about something like this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjiRZDT2syg

Coolest song i've learned in a long time, easy to play too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭My name is Todd

Horse With No Name by America is a great song to strum and Shape of my Heart by Sting is an excellent classical-sounding fingerpicked song.
    They never fail to impress.

Oh and Ramble On by Zep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Galileo

Try guitarnoise.com

He start with easy songs but has tips on how to play them different ways which should mean there is something for everyone from total beginners-intermediate.

Pick a song you like and give it a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Cheers fella some good suggestions there.

Enough to keep me busy anyway:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Love me 2 times - The Doors

This is a cool little ditty to play and song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Leonid wrote: »
    classical gas

Have to give this +1 too, difficult though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

bluto63 wrote: »
    +1

Maybe Bouree by Bach? I love playing that one
    +1, love playing that song.

My little warm-up routine is usually the first few bars of Minuet in G (which I discovered through the iPhoto slideshows:)) followed by the first few bars of Bouree followed by the Super Mario theme. Gets the fingers moving and sounds cool

In response to the original post, as ya mention anything by Oasis is usually fairly straight forward and they sometimes use some funny chords so they're useful in that regard. Also try some Creedence Clearwater Revival, great tunes and usually fairly easy to play... everyone always knows the words too even if they don't know who CCR are...

When I was younger and only playing guitar a couple of years I picked up a book in that guitar shop on Caple St (can't remember the name... it's the one closest to the quays on the opposite side of the road to the side you come onto from Henry St... Goodwins possibly?) for about a tenner, songs of the 70's. Had about 40 songs in it by the likes of CCR, Bowie, Cat Stevens etc. Would be worth going into a music shop and looking for a good book with a range of songs as opposed to one album all tabbed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭shanejunkin

Search for all of these on youtube, there should be lessons. Let me know if you want any tips on them....

Karma Police by Radiohead
    You've got her in your Pocket by the White Stripes (Elephant)
    Tangerine by Led Zeppelin (Led Zepp III)
    Desecration Smile by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stadium Arcadium II)
    I could have lied by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magic)

Advertisement