Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MA International Relations @ DCU

• 14-02-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here studying the above at DCU? If so what do they think of it?

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Well I'm currrently studying the MA International Organisations. So far so good. The core modules are comprehensive and for the most part complementary enabling you to develop fully your understanding in certain areas of particular interest to you. The optional modules are varied enough and you should be able to find some suited to your interest area/ area of research.
    I'd advise checking the core modules of the different MA courses in Law and Government( 5 altogether) and going for the one you feel has the best content for you. Dont go solely on the title of the course. The optional modules are the same for all, so in that way you can better taylor your degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

Hi,

Does anyone know when the interviews start for mature students BA International Relations? What was the BA degree like?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know when the interviews start for mature students BA International Relations? What was the BA degree like?

Not sure about the interviews but did the BA between 2005 and 2008 and really enjoyed it. Doing a PhD here now and still hear great things about the course.

kellyi3 wrote: »
    Not sure about the interviews but did the BA between 2005 and 2008 and really enjoyed it. Doing a PhD here now and still hear great things about the course.

Hiya,

I hope you don't mind, but you are the first postgrad student that has replied to me and I need some advice. I've been debating on whether to ask you, as i do not wish to appear rude. But I really need help with my dilemma. I would like to do a masters degree when i finish my undergrad. But have been told i won't get any sort of maintenance grant for that year, unless its for education. SUSI helpdesk won't give me any advice, other than to say they appreciate my dilemma. If you don't mind me asking, can i ask how you are supporting yourself for postgrad study? Please excuse me, if you think I am rude, I don't know how else to ask. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I hope you don't mind, but you are the first postgrad student that has replied to me and I need some advice. I've been debating on whether to ask you, as i do not wish to appear rude. But I really need help with my dilemma. I would like to do a masters degree when i finish my undergrad. But have been told i won't get any sort of maintenance grant for that year, unless its for education. SUSI helpdesk won't give me any advice, other than to say they appreciate my dilemma. If you don't mind me asking, can i ask how you are supporting yourself for postgrad study? Please excuse me, if you think I am rude, I don't know how else to ask. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

I wasn't eligible for a grant either. Did my MA out of pocket and worked part time. School pay my fees for PhD but I worked during my second year and only received a scholarship during my third and fourth year. I live at home so that reduces expenses considerably. I can't really offer advice with SUSI as I never really had any luck with them but I assume doing the MA in IR would count as education. If you're not entirely sure on that front maybe you could reach out to the registry or finance office in DCU. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

kellyi3 wrote: »
    I wasn't eligible for a grant either. Did my MA out of pocket and worked part time. School pay my fees for PhD but I worked during my second year and only received a scholarship during my third and fourth year. I live at home so that reduces expenses considerably. I can't really offer advice with SUSI as I never really had any luck with them but I assume doing the MA in IR would count as education. If you're not entirely sure on that front maybe you could reach out to the registry or finance office in DCU. Hope this helps.

Hiya, I only realised you answered my question ages ago. Only found it today. Thank you ever so much for the advice. It's much appreciated. Looks like it'll be a series of savings and loans for me, unless they change policy. Good luck with ur Ph.D.

Advertisement