Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pub/bar for first date

Options
  • 14-02-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

So Ladies, a guy asks you out for a drink, what are the best pubs/bars ye'd like him to take you to on for a first date?? In town somewhere preferably

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

do people really go to pubs on a first date??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, if he asked her to go for a drink, I suppose they better. Unless he pushes her in a pond.

I can't really recommend anywhere, most places you'll have to yell at each other or stand for ages waiting for a seat. (I'm getting old. Yes, I know.)

If it was me, I suppose the Porterhouse or Bull and Castle, cos if I'm standing and having to push my way to the jacks, I better be drinking decent beer while I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

if its during the day Q bar is nice and cosey and comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Bá Mizu

Library bar in the Central Hotel can also be good for a quiet drink. Of course if you're meeting at the weekend expect everywhere to be packed and noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Market bar? They don't play music, you can always escape if you find out you don't fancy each other :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Messers McGuire is nice and laid back, plenty of quiet corners to sit and chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

You're better off going to a restaurant for the first date.
    Go to parliament street, there is a nice Italian I can't remember the name of on the one side and a bar on the other. Can go from one to the other when you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Messers McGuire is nice and laid back, plenty of quiet corners to sit and chat.

Yeah Actually!! you're better off going Midweek if you wanna be guaranteed a seat in these places though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

and get there early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

The Bank Bar on Dame Street is nice for few drinks and chat -had my first date there 4 1/2 years ago:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Cafe en Seine all the girls love there!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Cafe en Seine all the girls love there!
    The girls may love it but my wallet doesn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

irlrobins wrote: »
    Bá Mizu

Library bar in the Central Hotel can also be good for a quiet drink. Of course if you're meeting at the weekend expect everywhere to be packed and noisy.

Meh - that bar smells funny. Get her to pull up a stool beside you in Mulligans for a couple of guinnesses. A true test of a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

beglee wrote: »
    The girls may love it but my wallet doesn't :)

Not that expensive?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Panama can be good midweek aswell but at the weekend it does get to packed.

I'm also a fan of doyles but again can get quite crowded.

Cafe en Seine would get my vote!

Doyles? Cafe en Seine? They're essentially meat markets on different scales. Last place you want to bring someone on a first date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Library bar in the Central Hotel can also be good for a quiet drink. .

SHHHHHHHHHHH,that place is the best kept secret in Dublin!!

Eamonn Dorans is my tried and trusted fav place for a first date. Though I wouldnt go on a pub date at the weekend as it would just be too noisy and hectic for a first date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Grand Cenral on O Connell Street. They have some nice comfy booths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

beglee wrote: »
    So Ladies, a guy asks you out for a drink, what are the best pubs/bars ye'd like him to take you to on for a first date?? In town somewhere preferably

OP, I would suggest Cafe en Seine, Ron Blacks or Bar Mizu (I frequent these bars all the time). Otherwise the girl will think you are a cheapskate and unless you look like Colin Farrell or Matt Damon then you'll have made a bad impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

The bar downstairs in the Westin hotel... nice spot, quiet enough to chat and right smack in the middle if you decide to move on somewhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

frankbrett wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest Cafe en Seine, Ron Blacks or Bar Mizu (I frequent these bars all the time). Otherwise the girl will think you are a cheapskate and unless you look like Colin Farrell or Matt Damon then you'll have made a bad impression.

Indeed. Best to start any possible relationship out on a good financial impression. :rolleyes:

Personally i tend to opt for dinner as a first date if it's at the weekend, a bit more control over volume and possible conversation. If mid week i might do a pub, somewhere i know is quiet and where i am comfortable. Normally somewhere like Solas on Wexford St.

I'd rather do something around a shared activity though if i had the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

frankbrett wrote: »

Ah now, I like those bars but if I was brought to less "uppish" places on a first date I wouldn't mind either. As long as it was nice and we had fun. I wouldn't judge him on where he brought me for a first date....unless it was Coppers :D

Hey if you end up in Coppers on your first date then the next venue is definitely going to be his/her bedroom! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

The Clarendon if you get in early and get one of the kubby holes is always lovely :) Or during the week Solas is a great little bar, unpretentious but still very stylish with a nice crowd & very comfy couches ;)...not to mention the great music and cocktails!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

the laughter lounge is pretty good with going to the central bar is perfect i think. you don't want to go somewhere that is too packed if you want to get to know the person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The Bailey on Duke Street (it's the street off Grafton Street that's beside M and S)

It's stylish but still nice and cosy and not to loud so you can talk.

watna wrote: »
    not to loud so you can talk.
    Clearly you've never been there on a busy night. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Clearly you've never been there on a busy night. ;)

No, I tend to frequent it on a weekday for post work drinks. Now that you mention it, I haven't been there on a weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Porterhouse is a great spot but can be a bit hectic at weekends.

Can't stand places like Café en Seine. Over-priced ****-fest with absolutely no atmosphere.

For a first date though I'd go for the dinner then drinks route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bluesparkler

I never go for dinner on a first date ...drinks are the way forward, keep it casual! If you like them then I think dinner is a nice next date. As for places I deff would go for the porter house or dakota..they have nice drinks and your guarenteed a seat :D cafe en seine is good for meeting up before a meal but wouldn't stay there for the night.

Advertisement