Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogging options

Options
  • 14-02-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to start a Blog. What are his options?

I'm thinking Wordpress, Blogger, Blogspot, Typepad, etc. but I don't have much knowledge of blogging, so basically I'd like some info on:

- Costs
    - Ease of use
    - Are they standalone (eg. name.blog.com), or integrated into his website?
    - Features
    - etc.

Anyone have a favourite, recommendations or other opinions?

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There are the free blogs, blogger wordpress typepad etc

if you use these you will have the address yourname.wordpress.com, or yourname.typepad.com, and yourname.blogspot.com

these won't cost a thing, the best of these would be wordpress because you can personalise it easier. plus the hosted blogs will look after all the security stuff for you

He could go hosting his own blog with his own domain name. The best package i think would be the one at blacknight, €50 a year.

only problem is that you have to update the blog software yourself, plus if he wan't to keep his personal details of WHOIS search, he may have to pay extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Buy a domain - €5.95 per year
    Buy a hosting plan - €3.95 per month

Click a button in the control panel to install Wordpress (and update it if there are updates along the way)

You have a blog!

(you also have the ability to host multiple websites, and do other stuff)

Advertisement