Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Veg box!

• 14-02-2008 6:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just got my first weekly organic veg box and its full of parsnips, carrots & cabbage....anyone have any tried & tested recipes with these ingredients??

I made cabbage soup last week but it was a bit bleh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Check out vegweb for some recipe ideas
    http://vegweb.com/

TBH I've never found a delicious use for cabbage!

Roasted parsnips and carrots are nice with roast potato, I must say :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah carrots & parsnips are grand - it's that big feckin cabbage I don't know what to do with...

thanks anyway

Edit: just found this recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/83524

Cabbage is really going to test the rule that anything tastes good cooked in butter (or sunflower spread :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Depends a lot on the type of cabbage, tbh.
    York, the really green and loose-leaved one is my favourite.

Try making a soya white or parsley sauce to go with it, it could really change your mind about the humble cabbage!
    taconnol wrote: »
    Yeah carrots & parsnips are grand - it's that big feckin cabbage I don't know what to do with...

thanks anyway

Edit: just found this recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/83524

Cabbage is really going to test the rule that anything tastes good cooked in butter (or sunflower spread :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Get a pet rabbit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

shred it up, then stir fry red onion, garlic and chili for a few minutes chuck in the cabbage, stir fry for a little longer chuck in a tin of chick peas until they're warm and maybe add a little sesame oil at the end and serve with brown rice delish and nutrish. works well with any greens (kale's a great one)
    variation on a denis cotter recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

taconnol wrote: »

Isn't it really unhealthy (not to mention vile) to cook using sunflower spread (or any kind of spread really)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

eth0_ wrote: »
    Isn't it really unhealthy (not to mention vile) to cook using sunflower spread (or any kind of spread really)?

Well IMO butter is much healthier than any sort of artificial margerine but the OH is vegan so..

dereko1969 wrote: »
    shred it up, then stir fry red onion, garlic and chili for a few minutes chuck in the cabbage, stir fry for a little longer chuck in a tin of chick peas until they're warm and maybe add a little sesame oil at the end and serve with brown rice delish and nutrish. works well with any greens (kale's a great one)
    variation on a denis cotter recipe

mm...looks good! I'll try this tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I tired this for a party at the weekend - veggie stuffed Cabbage - I added some carrot right at the end to the stuffing rather then the green pepper as I'm not a big pepper fan, I think you can really added what ever you like to the stuffing part. I'd like to try it using red cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

sounds good! i might give it a shot :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement