Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is signal being lost?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Two connection points. One downstairs and one upstairs. Downstairs I get 3mb but upstairs I get just under 1mb?

There is a simple extension cable connecting to upstairs. I could just get a wireless receiver for the desktop but that would just be giving up eh?

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

You're going to have to describe your network setup better, a lot better.

What are "connection points"?
    Is it aDSL you have? Cable? Wireless?
    Is your home network wired or wireless?
    What is a "simple extension cable"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You're going to have to describe your network setup better, a lot better.

What are "connection points"?
    Is it aDSL you have? Cable? Wireless?
    Is your home network wired or wireless?
    What is a "simple extension cable"

It is DSL.

Connection point downstairs is typical telephone port. Extended from this is a cable going upstairs ending in another telephone port which is connected to a splitter which connects my BB and telephone.

Wired with a router with wireless capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Had the same problem in my girlfriends house (less than 1m/bit on far away socket and a solid 2m/bit on the first socket in the house). Poor quality wiring is common inside houses; only designed for phone calls. Most common solution is to have a wireless router at the good socket and a wireless card in the pc. Easier than running cables all over the place.

Yup, I'm thinking I should give up on that issue.
    I will purchase a wireless adapter or something and leave the current cable for the telephone. I can get a decent adapter for €45 so no bothers!

Thanks anyway guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dr.Mark

.... but I thought that all wireless networks are hackable? Meaning you should only enter sensitive data over wire?

In my setup, I keep one machine wired for all banking etc. Wireless can be used for everything else.

• Advertisement

Okay here is an update;

Up until two days ago I was using wireless 3Mb and it was perfect. I would much
    rather have the router in my room. So I went off and purchased more cable and re-laid all the cables. No such luck. I changed ethernet cables, plugged phones in and out, changed splitter boxes everything.

So, where the hell is my signal being lost? Any help on this subject is much appreciated guys. :)

Any ideas guys? I'm absolutely perplexed on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Its a bad connection somewhere, might not even be on the line you are using for the BB, are there any other extensions?

But I changed all the cables? I get the full 3MB when using wireless so somewhere between downstairs and upstairs I lose it. Here is the full description of all components involved.

Downstairs box> Splitter into phone downstairs/cable upstairs> Upstairs box> Splitter into phone upstairs and router.

What is the current standard for broadband/phone cable? I was using standard phone line cable but assumed it was too weak so I got phone line cable that was twice the thickness and no luck?

It's driving me demented! I am paying €50 for 3Mb but only receiving 1.2Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

When you say "splitter":
    is it just a plain two or three way split or is it a DSL microfilter?

• Advertisement

Upstairs, it is a DSL filter, but even when I remove it... no luck.

Downstairs it is split inside the Eircom box as in, one cable goes to the phone and one goes upstairs. There is no other splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Can you try this cable taking a different route, I've heard of electrical equipment causing interference with ethernet ( Florescent lights mainly).

Can you also post the line stats with the box plugged in both places.

Advertisement