Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking...what do you think of it?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

As an ex-smoker it seems incredibly appealing when I see clusters of pretty girls puffing...and there is so many of them...actualy that's why I started originaly...I wanted to be like the girls...most of whom smoked....what do others here think of it?
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yuck, and not attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Rotten and you do end up more wrinkly than your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm not a fan of smoking. I've never had a smoke. I have to be honest, when I see a girl smoking, the first thing that pops into my mind is premature aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I'm a Capucchino addict....and a great majority of those outside smoking are girls.... In my slightly younger day's I just so much wanted to be like them... That's naieve I know...but how I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

From a male perspective, if I see a girl and I think, "hey, nice" and then she's smoking, I'm turned right off. I am, however, a former disciple of the weed so I know what it's like to be desperate to belong.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be disgusted or turned off by a smoker, unless it highlighted an inconsiderate manner. Blowing smoke on into the faces of babies isn't exactly heartwarming!

I'm convinced drink ages peoples skin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

smoking is rotten! doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. The worst thing is smokers breath - it makes my stomach churn!:eek:, especially if it's mixed with coffee breath!
    The scariest thing is the addiction - my best friend is 28, is smoking about 14 years - she has to have one at least every 10 mins, if we're shopping and we're indoors for a while she has 2 in a row when she get's outside - frightening. She couldn't even give up on her pregnancies. We went to school together and I remember her starting to smoke, I tried too but fainted after the first drag! I tried my best to get addicted but couldn't (thank God!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I'm a smoker andI hate it, gave them up at the beginning of the year but bought a box on Monday, hopefully will try again when it's finished. I don't find it attractive at all and I HATE the smell of smoke from somebody who just had a ciggie, I never noticed it til I gave up. I've been paranoid about it all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Much easier to chat up smokers. Very hard to initiate a conversation with someone you don't know inside a pub with the retardedly high volumes they play music at these days.

Last two girlfriends I had I met in beer gardens. Neither of them actually smoked at all unless they were out drinking and trying to prey on handsome young men like myself.

Frankly I don't think people should get worried about wether people smoke or not. People can have far more obnoxious habits so there's no point in falling out over inconsequential stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi LittleLady, get Alan Carr's book, my husband finished it there at the start o the year and is off them ever since - he was badly addicted. He said the great thing about the book is that it changes your perception of smoking - it makes you hate it, my hubbie says it even even makes you pity people you see outside pubs which is funny becasue when he tried to give up in the past he used to get jealous when he saw people outside the pub! mad eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

OP that reminds me of Edward Bernays, the Father of Spin.Back in the twenties he dreamed up a campaign that convinced women to start smoking in public. Scary and evil, sure. But brilliant in a way.
    Torches of Freedom

On March 31, 1929, a woman by the name of Bertha Hunt stepped into the throng of pedestrians in their Sunday-best clothing marching down Fifth Avenue in what was known in New York as the Easter Parade, and created a sensation by lighting up a Lucky Strike cigarette. Her action would not have created the reaction it did had not the press already been alerted to what was going to happen in advance. Hunt then told the reporter from the New York Evening World that she “first got the idea for this campaign when a man with her in the street asked her to extinguish her cigarette as it embarrassed him. ‘I talked it over with my friends, and we decided it was high time something was done about the situation.’”

The press, of course, had been warned in advance that Bertha and her friends were going to light up. They had received a press release informing them that she and her friends would be lighting “torches of freedom” “in the interests of equality of the sexes and to fight another sex taboo.” Bertha also mentioned that she and her friends would be marching past “the Baptist church where John D. Rockefeller attends” on the off chance that he might want to applaud their efforts. At the end of the day, Bertha and her friends told the press that she hoped they had “started something and that these torches of freedom, with no particular brand favored, will smash the discriminatory taboo on cigarettes for women and that our sex will go on breaking down all discriminations.’”

What Miss Hunt did not tell the reporter is that she was the secretary of a man by the name of Eddie Bernays, nor did she tell him that Mr. Bernays was now a self-styled expert in the new discipline of Public Relations who had just received a handsome retainer from the American Tobacco Company to promote cigarette consumption among women. What billed itself as a feminist promotion of the emancipation of women was in reality a public relations ploy to open a new market for tobacco by getting women addicted to cigarettes.

read more

http://www.culturewars.com/CultureWars/1999/torches.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I smoke, and I haven't a single wrinkle on my face at the age of 27. I have a friend who hasn't smoked in her life, is 23, and has crows feet around her eyes.

Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if people are turned off by smoking. Live and let live, tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

*Cough!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The one thing I regret about not smoking is how much easier it is to chat to people in Beer Gardens.

But then, I dont have asthma, stained teeth, bad breath or any of the other baggage that can come with smoking. Decent trade off at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i hate smoking..the smell, the grip it has on people and that it kills people. the fact that my dad refuses to give up smoking even though he's had two minor strokes that are related to smoking. what annoys me more are the special allowances made for smokers in a lot of workplaces. smoking breaks given but non smokers not allowed to pop out for five minutes or whatever. its especially bad if the manager/supervisor smokes too.thats in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

took me about a year and a half to quit when i was 13/14, and then, i only did it cos twas affecting my camogie playing.

now, i can't smoke unless im drunk. actually, been offered some...eemm.... nice substances for the first time since i got here, and apparently it's normally consumed via tobacco rolly, and best consumed sober, and then get drunk... i was shellshocked... i have to be drunk to smoke... but.. but... ha, funny how things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

:eek:narco! Put down the "funny" ciggy!:rolleyes:

I've always gotten on better with girls and found that, from an observational standpoint, pre-smoking ban, more girls than guys seemed to smoke, so as a result I was friends with quite a few smokers, think it may have made me a bit more liberal towards smokers as they were (and I would presume still are) all great people. *gets all nostalgic and sad*

Can't say I'd find a smoker more appealing though, in fact to be honest if we were to begin dating and it started to get serious I'd probably ask her about trying to quit, no ultimatums or anything, just a request from a concerned partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

it's ok, i havnet tried it yet. was offered it on sunday night, but didnt wana, cos i dont smoke *that* a lot, and was starting a new place at work the next day, and it does usually last at least till the next evening with me (*flashback to watching madagascar for about 8hrs straight the day after christmas last year*).

i only like to ingest certain substances via pipe, or food. though food has never entirely ended well for me before... largely due to drinking too much beforehand (otherwise i say no. jack makes me think it's a good idea....) and then eating waaaaaay too much. so so far so good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I don't smoke ciggies myself, but my oh does, and tbh it doesnt bother me that much. I would like him to quit but its his choice.. but cutting back a abit would be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I hate everything about smoking, and if a man I fancied smoked that would be a deal-breaker for me. I dated a smoker only once and it was frankly revolting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I dot look at a smoker and think "Yuck" unless they sit near me and they reek. i'm used to people smoking around me.
    I dont smoke at all i never would.
    i know people though who see someone attractive and then could be Completely put off by the fact that they smoke. Its not enough to put me off someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I usually hang out in smoking areas because its easier to chat, but I hate smoke, kissing a smoker is absolutely revolting! I went on a couple of dates with one once, yuk never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I've gone out with smokers before but I go out with a non-smoker now and it's so much more pleasant. I can kiss him whenever I like without it tasting horrible. I could never kiss someone for about a half hour after they had a cigarette, it's just too nasty imo.

Doesn't put me off people, just puts restrictions on the times they can kiss me tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I smoke, I've no wrinkles yet but at 35 I'm starting to get worried :D tbh I hate it, I'd love to quit but it's such a pain in the asre because everyone around me smokes, to have any success quiting I'd have to go into hiding for a month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I occasionally smoke when drunk, but I've tried it sober and hate it, can't understand the appeal at all. I've decide not to smoke when drinking anymore though, it makes whatever hangover I have much worse. My dad smoked since before I can remember, he gave up a few times over the years but has been off the cigarettes since March 2006. Both my brother and sister smoke, but that's their choice I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Oh I miss smoking. Im glad I dont anymore and I wont go back but I miss it.

Specially with a cuppa.

I loved my smokes I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm convinced drink ages peoples skin too.
    You can be sure it does.
    embee wrote: »
    I smoke, and I haven't a single wrinkle on my face at the age of 27. I have a friend who hasn't smoked in her life, is 23, and has crows feet around her eyes.
    I only smoke a 20-box a week now (most of which accompany drink) but I used to smoke more (my max was seven or eight a day) and have been doing so since I was 14. Haven't a single wrinkle either and I'll be 30 in May.
    I absolutely love a ciggie with a drink. But I don't enjoy them sober at all any more and rarely, if ever, have one without a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

nipplenuts wrote: »
    From a male perspective, if I see a girl and I think, "hey, nice" and then she's smoking, I'm turned right off. I am, however, a former disciple of the weed so I know what it's like to be desperate to belong.

*Fetchs popcorn* I know this story too well :/

20 a day, YUCK YUCK YUCK!

I blame it all on the goverment and their brainwashing us :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Although a cigarette after sex is pretty damn sweet - I just never think of having them handy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Dudess wrote: »
    Although a cigarette after sex is pretty damn sweet - I just never think of having them handy though!

Ah jaysus, missin them even more now. Stop!

Advertisement