Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan sales - prices in freefall.

• 14-02-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Went to the sales at the Cavan Equestrian Center on Wednesday. The sellers got hammered. Mare in foal 800 Euro! Lots of stock passed in. Is it just the time of the year or a lack of buyers and chronic over supply?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

didn't realise it was that bad. I think the weak dollar has alot to do with it.

Was the standard good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

Most people there agreed that the standard was ok.

More like to do with an impending recession rather then the weak dollar.

Horses are an expensive sport and many people bought in when things were going great. Now that they have begun to slow down, people may be seeing the writing on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

From other sales I was at buyers seem to be waiting for something outstanding before putting a lot of money in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hhhmm, so do you think the price of livery could fall or go up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

More like to do with an impending recession rather then the weak dollar.

I think its a combination of both tbh. The US market was always a really good market for the high end sport horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Borderfox wrote: »
    From other sales I was at buyers seem to be waiting for something outstanding before putting a lot of money in the ring.

Its always the same the very good one will make enough and the ordinary ones are hard to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Spot on finbarrk, I have seen foals make €210,000 and either side of are €3000.

Advertisement