Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting extractor fan?

• 14-02-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I want to disconnect the extractor fan which is wired into the light switch in our bathroom. We have plenty of ventilation and the thing is just noise box.

Looking at it in the attic there is a grey wire running into it, if I want to take the power off it is as simple as disconnecting this wire and tying insulation tape around the ends to ensure the don't contact eacjother?

You can tell I am no electrician! But I will be switching off the main fuse before I do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Why not just repace with a new one, they always go noisy as they age.
    A new one will look nice and run quietly for about 20 euro.
    Customers are always saying to me they don't need one in a bathroom with a window, but I always insist its for the cold winter when you're not going to leave the window open while you're in the shower.
    If you are set on removing it,if it only has one grey cable with brown/blue or red/black it most likely is fed from the light so you should disconnect it there first.
    If its not there it might be fed from the switch, but most likely the light so get up into the attic to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Cheers Eoghan, will have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The Vortice fans are great, easy to fit, quiet and have a good garantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

I want to disconnect the extractor fan which is wired into the light switch in our bathroom. We have plenty of ventilation and the thing is just noise box.

Looking at it in the attic there is a grey wire running into it, if I want to take the power off it is as simple as disconnecting this wire and tying insulation tape around the ends to ensure the don't contact eacjother?

You can tell I am no electrician! But I will be switching off the main fuse before I do this.
    If you are going to do what u said in your 1st post
    it would be best to put the live and nuetral in connectors and then tape it up with insulating tape. the moisture in the bathroom can "unsticky"!! the tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭youtheman

I just installed an extract fan in my ensuite after about 18 years of not having one. Best move I ever made. When I get out of the shower the mirror is still clear so I can shave. The external window is also dry. The musty stains on the ceiling are also gone.

I installed an 'in-line' fan above the ceiling so the noise is not that bad. I put a hole in the ceiling above the shower and ran the duct out through the soffit.

It has a 'timer off relay' so it will run for a minute or two after the light has been turned off. Slightly more complicated wiring as you have to have a permanete live and a switched live.

So my advice is to upgrade rather then replace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement