Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closest distance achieved while stalking an animal

• 14-02-2008 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Do you think you lot can STALK prey??:D
    Who is the best and how close did you get, and were you close enough for long enough..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I lived with a fox for three months before he even noticed I was there, I think it was when the fridge was constantly empty he copped on. And they say they're smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

I watched an otter play in the river in front of me for half an hour. He left and still didn't know I was there.

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I had breakfast with a sika deer the other morning, but I had to kick him out in the end because he ate all my cornflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i've picked live rabbits up while out shooting,

they were using the i'll hide approach, it did't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

i once stalked right up and touched a fox, she prosecuted:eek::eek::eek:
    but she was a fox:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

Do you think you lot can STALK prey??:D
    Who is the best and how close did you get, and were you close enough for long enough..

one day after band camp i slyly made my way up to a deer lying down

to my suprise it was actually dead with sylvester stallone inside it trying to keep warm, he stuck his head out and asked was i staying for tea and feeling slightly chilly myself i accepted his offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

A shooting friend of mine can sit for hours observing wildlife and getting quite close without spooking them. He was watching cubs for a number of evenings when one approached and tried to take his binoculars case. When he produced a sandwich the cub, after hesitating for some time, approached and ate it from his hand.

[IMG][/img]fedingcub2.jpg

[IMG][/img]cubwithbinoculars.jpg

cubbinoculars.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

J.R. wrote: »
    A shooting friend of mine can sit for hours observing wildlife and getting quite close without spooking them. He was watching cubs for a number of evenings when one approached and tried to take his binoculars case. When he produced a sandwich the cub, after hesitating for some time, approached and ate it from his hand.

amazing pics!

I was out hunting rabbits with my shotgun last summer and a fox walked right past me and stopped in front of me. it was such an encounter and he was so close i didnt even think of raising my gun and we just looked at each other without moving for a good 2 minutes. then on he went. i didnt mind him the field was awash with rabbits and he was more then likely hunting just like me.

the same also happened this time last year whilst i was in a grove waiting for pigeons to pass by over and a young deer walked strainght by and we had a good look at each other aswell from about 15 yards away.

In these situations i find it a lot more rewarding to watch rather then to shoot and kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

great pics j.r ,I remember reading an article in the digest about that,very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I remember many (many :() years ago when I was crouched, panther like, in the shrubbery below a small grove of trees, waiting with my BSA Meteor .22 pellet gun for the pigeons to come home to roost; a robin was doing the rounds of his patch and the front sight of the pellet gun became a perch on his circuit.
    He'd sit on the sight, do a bit of shouting to whoever was listening, and head off to the next perch. 2 or 3 minutes later, he'd be back to repeat the performance.

I was almost sorry to interrupt him when the pigeons started coming and I started making noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I got this great stalking suit... the foxes never see you comming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

alan123 wrote: »
    I got this great stalking suit... the foxes never see you comming!

lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

I touched a wild pussy once!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

:D

You shouldn't play with your targets like that it's cruel, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Can regularly have robins eating maggots from my hand when im fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

Remmy wrote: »
    great pics j.r ,I remember reading an article in the digest about that,very interesting!

Your quite right - 'Taming of the Wild' March 2006 .........I wrote it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I went after deer one night in the field behind house( was only 15 or so at the time and had no intention of killing the creature) i managed to creep along a hedge (crawled thru grass 7 nettles). The deer didnt see me but when i about 20 foot away i could see them smelling the air for a strange sent, even though i was downwind of them. The sent might have reached them because of the light winds or some turbulence caused by or from the trees in the hedge.
    Away once they knew that some thing was near by the started looking in my direction whether or not they could smell me i will never know, perhaps they noticed the swath of nettles missing. but curiosity drew one of them right up to me..it was great i could here her feet on the grass then suddenly the deer released an extremely loud scream, you know their high pitched yelp. to tell you the truth i dont know who got the worst fright me or the deer..
    I,d say i was only about five foot away when she bolted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you know how to go about it you can lift hares by hand in broad daylight.

I pulled some hares out of the plughole in the shower today? It was broad daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

While scuba diving one day I turned around and was face to face with a seal but I think he was stalking me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

My auld lad maintains he caught a hare once by hiding the other side of the wall where the hares run was and getting someone to beat the field !! I don't know whether to believe him or not though :p
    I was about 5 yards from 4 badgers last year, first time I actually had seen live badgers they were running around on the railway line, twas great.
    Used to have a pheasant right outside our house every morning, I refused to shoot him :)

I was always interested in taking pictures of wildlife, anyone here do it?
    A friend of mine has a really nice 22x zoom lense with on digital SLR for surfing photos it'd be the right job.

Keep it serious please lads... check out this cammo that allows you sit in the middle of a flock of pigeons without disturbing them...

looks like your regular garda uniform:D

The flying squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

spideog7 wrote: »
    My auld lad maintains he caught a hare once by hiding the other side of the wall where the hares run was and getting someone to beat the field !! I don't know whether to believe him or not though :p
    I was about 5 yards from 4 badgers last year, first time I actually had seen live badgers they were running around on the railway line, twas great.
    Used to have a pheasant right outside our house every morning, I refused to shoot him :)

I was always interested in taking pictures of wildlife, anyone here do it?
    A friend of mine has a really nice 22x zoom lense with on digital SLR for surfing photos it'd be the right job

Yes, I do.:D http://www.johngriffinphotography.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

there absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

:eek:
    Unreal photos really, really nice. Might pm you sometime for information, if I'm looking to buy a camera, if you don't mind ;)

EDIT:
    Actually I'm sure it's all on the proper forum !!

About 6 years ago i went for a Sunday drive.. i went back to a little swiss cottage that i had discovered on the banks of the river(nore) in a small town called Inistioge in Co Kilkenny.
    It was 3 years previous to this event that work, had first dragged my sorry soul to this enchanting little forest retreat with a Swiss cottage hidden deep in its core.
    On arriving at inistioge i drove the car right up to the forest gates, parked up and then headed in on foot. As i approached the cottage grounds i was disappointed to hear the nattering of people from within the grounds of the cottage.. Ever closer i got until i could see the unmistakable body language of men casting rods in to the river in a bid to catch a fish, or so i thought. The men were too close together to be fishing with any sense of normality, even for such a grand river as this.
    I was apprehensive about hopping the locked gate but curiosity drove me on.. I hopped over the timber gate and walked down the path toward the lively mob. I was read to scarrper if confronted, but the mob took no notice, even though some of them clearly saw me approach over the locked gate..As i was unchallenged i brazingly walked right up to them thinking that there must be some fairly amazing fish in this river, with all the co-motion. i first realized that something was a miss when i heard a long hissing noise coming from behind a half submerged oak or beech tree. What the hell was that i thought. I then seen dark enormous shape traversing through the sunken limbs of the once mighty tree. It came close to the surface but not close enough to make a positive identification. At this stage i was in shock, i thought that it was a hugh fish, a salmon perhaps or even a killer trout.. perhaps it was the wrath of the mink or the devil himself, a thousand thoughts cascaded through my mind at once, then suddenly it broke the surface with that glorious sound of air being expelled. Low and behold it was "The dolphen of Inisteoge".. I could hardly believe my eyes, a fully grown dolphin in a river 50Km from the sea. All i could do was watch and wonder if this majestic creature had endured this arduous journey in a bid to find a final resting place or more.. Did the lonely traveler understand his/her own mortality or was his level of intellect high enough that he came here as an explorer.. It is very much so a possibility that such animal could harbor harbor such thoughts.. All i was able to do was to phone the ISPCA. The whole thing was on the radio a day or two later.. But it one of the memories that i,ll take to the grave.... ps i was about 20 foot away;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Now you see what happens when you feed him:rolleyes: Swiss cottages in deep dark forests. Salt water dolphin on a magical quest up fresh water rivers. Im all for been nice to people but there is a limit:D

Can you fish dolphin if its in a river? I hear dolphin steaks are yummy:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Ivan, I have to say I like you! No, really! After a hard day posting serious posts on boards there's nothing better than going over to the hunting section for 'joke thread of the day' with ivanthehunter. Fair play man, fair play... :)

I am the only one fit to ask such questions:D

Well any stalking stories out there, surely some of you lot stalk your prey???;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

deer-tree.jpg

Advertisement