Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA - 4x17 - Midway [SPOILERS]

• 14-02-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Wahoo. ive been waiting for this episode for ages, Whats this the 3rd or 4th time SGA has been leaked onto itunes before an episodes TV airdate *hint hint* Cant wait its being shipped priority express now.

EDIT:

Just finished it there, good episode. Good episode but i think i over hyped it for myself, still though a very enjoyable episode some some good SG funny's, although i thought
    That the station being destroyed was a bit unnecessary, i mean that guy because of his stupidity wrecked a multi billion if not trillion doller space station. I mean he has to be fired think how pissed off people would be. And the fact mackey was even talking to him after he ****ed up his station and all his hard work with the bridge

Rate This Episode 38 votes

Amazing - Everything i was expecting
    0% 0 votes
    Good - Could have been more
    55% 21 votes
    ok - Solid episode but nothing special
    34% 13 votes
    Bad - What where they thinking
    10% 4 votes
    Terrible - Delete - Empty recycle bin
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hate you ~.~

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Whats the quality like? Is it another crappy pre-release (i.e. no music, special effects?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Quality is 100 perfect. Itues put new episodes of tv shows up one day fater they air on TV... sometimes they get confused :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Go itunes! :)

****SPOILERS FOLLOW****

I thought it was a fantastic episode. I love getting eps early so it was off to a good start. It was kinda strange seeing T'ealc gating to Atlantis but also pretty cool. He's been off screen for a while now. I thought this episode was going to be Atlantis based at first, I was expecting the wraith to try invade Atlantis by hacking McKay's program. The inevitable clash of the stargate hard men was to be expected. The fight scene was good fun.

When they were leaving for midway I thought the wraith were going to materialise them on the planet to hold them for ransom and they'd fight their way out. Especially when they said that they were in the gate buffer. So I was wrong in both my guesses. :)

When they got to midway I was sorry to see that tool Kavanaugh was back, I was expecting to see him die in this episode once I saw him. Good to see they're making more use of Dr. Lee lately. I like his fumblings. The tiny room for the two of them on midway was funny especially when they were crushing Dr. Lee, both going for the same bunk and watching the three stooges when the wraith attacked. :D

There were some very nice classic stargate touches. Ronan remarks that T'ealc uses 'indeed' a lot, to which he replys 'I hadn't noticed'. Another line I liked was when T'ealc hands Ronan back his gun 'I would very much like to have a weapon such as this'. T'ealc still kicks ass, i'm fairly sure he took out more wraith than Ronan.

There were a couple of things that bugged me a little bit;
    1. When Walter sees this alien orb coming through from midway he doesn't press an alarm or close the IRIS, wtf? Sergeant Harriman back to training!
    2. When the atmosphere was venting and the wraith were dropping like flies there was never enough time for Sheppard to make it into the space suit.
    3. They[the writers] didn't need to destroy midway, wasn't really needed

30 seconds of screen time for Teyla! Nice bump she's got too. :)

I'll give this episode a 9/10. Classic stargate with lots of wraith killing. -1 cause Kavanaugh didn't die. Nice the way Ronan pushed him in the jumper. :D

p.s. I saved my 3000th post for this.

• Advertisement

rkm use the
    code tags next time :p

didnt have a read but cmon man srsly :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Since the tidbits for season 4 were announced I have been waiting for these episode "to see the 2 big men go at it"
    I thought it was really good, I didnt realise Ronon was taller than Teal'c as in SG1 I think Teal'c is the tallest but he's a lot the bulkier.
    I think he should go back to either shaving his head/having it really short...

Fight scene was very good with the sticks T got in some good hits but when Carter stopped it it was obvious Ronon was not ready but despite landing a couple of underhanded blows T got the upper hand and would have pummeled him if Carter had not stepped in.

If T is that good imagine what he would have been like with symbiote and 100 years younger as in last ep of SG1.

The midway bit was forgettable enough but the fun really kicked off in the SGC, one thing though as I have watched it was T actually fed upon? He had some blood on his chest but in the next scene walking through the SGC he has no mark??

Finally someone pulled T up on saying "indeed" all of the time.

Really good ep, T to transfer to SGA in season 6 please!

You mean season 5? Well anyway i think telc is the better of the two and stronger as well. I dont think the symbionts age matters because Bretec in early SG1 could kick Telc or anyones as and he was 164

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode! I didn't realise that Teal'c and Ronan would be meeting (I avoid spoilers) so was delighted when Teal'c strode through the gate - it was the team up we all deserved.

It didn't disappoint either - Teal'c and Ronan were well matched. Their taciturn demeanour work well. It's nice to see how Teal'c has progressed beyond mono-syllables but Ronan is playing catch up. The mid-way station room really wasn't big enough for the both of them - but we got beyond that to having them kicking ass (with what must be one of their highest body counts).

I quite liked the mid-way station plot - it showed how they were arrogant to assume nobody could crack it. Not sure how they got the info from Todd - did he betray them or was he captured himself? Nonetheless it was a good excuse to go the SGC and do something, even if Landry was too busy to do anything to defend his base.

Anyone been able to work out if this episode takes place before or after 'Ark of Truth'?

Season 4's second half has been consistently strong - makes me all the more glad we're getting a fifth season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

User45701 wrote: »
    You mean season 5? Well anyway i think telc is the better of the two and stronger as well. I dont think the symbionts age matters because Bretec in early SG1 could kick Telc or anyones as and he was 164
    No season 6 as they have announced there planned casting for season 5.

Well he doesnt have a symbiote anymore as he is on tretonin. But back before he started using tretonin he was even more kick ass and also 100 years younger than he was in SGA.

• Advertisement

i know he does not have a symbiote anymore but you said
    If T is that good imagine what he would have been like with symbiote and 100 years younger as in last ep of SG1.

so i was just saying sybiote does not matter because bretec was still forminatable.

Can you post up season 6 link? the only thing i remember was Season being announced. Havnt seen any conformation on season 6 yet?
    ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone been able to work out if this episode takes place before or after 'Ark of Truth'?.

After because [in the mid season cliff hanger they make a reference to having both ships there and that it was the first something like "first time we didn't need one at earth" or something] they didnt elaborate on why though i just assumed they where not
    Ark of Truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That episode was great fun.... huge body count too :)
    The whole makeup budget for the season blown right there.

The season finale will probably be a friggin' clip show at this stage!

i know he does not have a symbiote anymore but you said

so i was just saying sybiote does not matter because bretec was still forminatable.

Can you post up season 6 link? the only thing i remember was Season being announced. Havnt seen any conformation on season 6 yet?

After because [in the mid season cliff hanger they make a reference to having both ships there and that it was the first something like "first time we didn't need one at earth" or something] they didnt elaborate on why though i just assumed they where not
    Ark of Truth

I'm confused about the first part, but either way T is the man!

No I was just thinking that if they go with season 6 (or if they have episodes needing ideas in season5) it could be an idea to get T and Ronon back on screen again, in what format I don't know, maybe the 2 of them going to rescue sheppard or something either way i think it owuld pull in serious ratings.

Spolier below
    Ok at time index 22:16 the wraith device has come through but the stargate can be hear deactivating in the background. Walter or the SF's dont see any wraith come through as there is no shooting or alarms sounded and presumably the wraith would also be affected by this stun weapon.

So if the midway station dials again if if their IDC is sent there is no one to open the iris and so all of the wraith should die, that is presuming the iris closes when an incoming wormhole is detected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Spolier below
    Ok at time index 22:16 the wraith device has come through but the stargate can be hear deactivating in the background. Walter or the SF's dont see any wraith come through as there is no shooting or alarms sounded and presumably the wraith would also be affected by this stun weapon.

So if the midway station dials again if if their IDC is sent there is no one to open the iris and so all of the wraith should die, that is presuming the iris closes when an incoming wormhole is detected.

I noticed this immediately when it happened, i don't know how they messed up here, as it was a basic error

_JOE_ wrote: »
    I noticed this immediately when it happened, i don't know how they messed up here, as it was a basic error

Only thing it could be is...
    When T and Ronon walk into the control room, walters palm scanner is green and the other control stations is red, so maybe it was left open, also the wraith wouldnt have known about the iris i presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The two boys did a Rambo as expected. Also good to see them go at each other as well. Loved the idea of them all betting on it. :D.

I am inclined to think that Todd did not willingly give up the info. A very well crafted episode and extremely enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone been able to work out if this episode takes place before or after 'Ark of Truth'?

Ark of Truth takes place before season four of Atlantis. ie. when Carter joins as commander of Atlantis, the events of Ark of truth have already happened.

This episode was an absolute classic! I was waiting for this one for a long time, and it didn't disappoint in the slightest. You could never really go wrong with Teal'c and Ronan going postal on a few dozen wraith.

Also another classic reference to Teal'cs use of the word "Indeed"

Ronan : "You say that a lot"
    Teal'c: "What?"
    R: "Indeed!"
    T: "Oh i had not noticed..."

heheh 10 years and finally someone notices! Overall brilliant episode, this is turning out to be the best run of episodes Atlantis has had in a good while, 'Midway' will definitely be something i'll rewatch again and again, instant classic.

Anyone else notice them gambling with Euros and Sterling? :p

edit: not a bad episode - good to see Teal'c pass the torch so to speak. It worked out pretty well.

As for the security breach - yeah, a bit stupid, but it was the premise for a good episode so I'll let it go. I mean, not having Irises at midway is just silly for one thing. I assume when they rebuild the station some improved security will be a key feature nonetheless.

Surely though - when attacking midway, they would have sent a stunbomb there as well?

Meh. I'll give this a 7/10. Full of holes but still wonderfully enjoyable.

"You say that a lot."

"Say what?"

"'indeed'"

"Really? ..... I never realized.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Twas a good Ep, nice to finally see Tealc and Ronan together. would have been a real nice touch if Jack had been there when the two arrived, could have dropped some nice witismsssss.

Always think Rodney is funny when he is near Kavanagh or the other doctor because he is the same and he freaks out at them the whole time.

To the writers of SGA - more please

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pretty enjoyable, but hardly ground breaking stuff. By the numbers Stargate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Thought it was a great episode with the best plot of the series regardless of Teal'c. First time the Wraith have really threatened Earth (having said that i'm still catching up on season 3 so it's a bit of a guess).

Was delighted to see Kavanagh back, one of my favourite characters but my favourite was most certainly when Taylah hinted She would not be returning to active service

Also, regarding the Iris thing, I always assumed that considering you had to open the Iris with a command you had to command it to close and as Walter was conked out he wouldn't have gotten any time to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Didn't you often hear Landry ordering them to "close the iris".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i really liked this episode.
    teal'c and ronon fighting was great, and gambling made me chuckle, as did mc kays speech that his system was perfect at the start of the ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Very good episode, indeed.

I'm glad that the crossover wasn't the cheesy crap I was expecting it to be.
    And ever since season 1, I had seriously wanted to see a few Wraith and Jaffa go at it head to head. I guess I can settle for this.

So lots of plot, action and suspense.
    Excellent episdoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Sparko

One thing I noticed was that the SGC was able to go into auto lockdown when it detected that it had been breached. Would make sense for an auto lockdown to automatically close the iris, but only a slight niggle really, had to be overlooked for the episode to work!

Sparko wrote: »
    One thing I noticed was that the SGC was able to go into auto lockdown when it detected that it had been breached. Would make sense for an auto lockdown to automatically close the iris, but only a slight niggle really, had to be overlooked for the episode to work!

Did the auto lockdown not occour after all the wraith had reached earth and when tel'c and ronan had arrived and the ioa guy had woken up and contacted the surface?

As I recall, T'ealc implied it happened when the device emitted the pulse to knock everyone out.

Did the auto lockdown not occour after all the wraith had reached earth and when tel'c and ronan had arrived and the ioa guy had woken up and contacted the surface?

Nope. triggered as a result of the stunbomb.

Anyway trying to dissect any technical details of a plot in this series is... well, you'll be really disappointed if you do. In a real life enactment of the situation: it would have never occured. There would be Irises on both the Midway gates regardless of how secure the dialing macro was. Sgt... Siler(?) would have immediately closed the iris and blast doors upon an unexplained foreign object travelling down the ramp. A stunbomb would have been set off on midway as well as the SGC. Teal'c and Ronan would have had to reload *a lot more*. Since when do Jumpers have dorsal access ports? Are there no emergency breathing apparatus on Midway? How does a passed out man get off the floor and hard-seal themselves into an EVA space suit?

I could go on but you'd really be upset if I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Overheal wrote: »
    How does a passed out man get off the floor and hard-seal themselves into an EVA space suit?

Yeah, that was the only part that really annoyed me. And to add to the technical nit picking, why didnt they activate the self destruct on midway the second there was a foot hold situation? What else would a self destruct be designed for?

Another thing i liked, the strike force they assembled this time seem to have a nice number, as opposed to the typical 2 commandos and 2 scientists they normally use.

Great episode. All it was missing was a few cheesy catch phrases and they could have marketed it as a movie.

Advertisement