Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup 5th Round - Man Utd vs. Arsenal

• 14-02-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Just got my ticket in the post there so this topic came to me :)

Pretty wary about this match, because Arsenal have an ability to really show up the weaknesses in our defence. That said, just saw this post
    Looks like Clichy and Sagna are out for the game this weekend, in addition to the players already missing. I don't see us getting a result.

If Clichy and Sagna are out, we have a huge advantage as our strength is most certainly in our wing players. Whether or not people say Clichy has done a good job against United in the past, without him Ronaldo should get a lot more room. I'm now becoming optimistic about this game, especially as we're at home.

What worries me is United without Neville are somewhat dodgy defensively on the right wing, this is not helped by the fact that Ronaldo provides little to no cover, but is mainly due to Brown not being quite up to scratch. I can see Arsenals goals coming from this area, and I know Wenger will target it :/

Result? 57 votes

Arsenal Win
    0%
    United Win
    24%
    KulganGuanYinvorbissionnachStringChardee MacDennisd22ontourJonny ArsoneZe^AnCapaillMorOPENROADleninbenjaminPeyton Manningprendy 14 votes
    Draw
    75%
    PHBMossinAquos76V9balkieb2002APMFozzyeirebhoy_blank_UnknownUnearthlyevad_lhorgfortunegBrian017kraggyA Dub in GlasgoBrendyggandrewie~Rebel~fish fingers 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah I reckon Uniteds home advantage will be the difference. They've won 4 drawn 1 and lost 1 of the last 6 meetings at Old Trafford. It'll be interesting to see who he starts what with the Lyon game on midweek. I reckon we'll see Giggs and Nani as they probably won't be involved on Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Draw
    I can't see Ronaldo being rested in this one to be honest, infact I can't see anybody being rested. This game is about more than the FA Cup, it also is a part of the league. If United can beat Arsenal here, it'll put a little doubt into Arsenals mind about who the better team is. Fergie thinks like this normally, so I expect a full-strength team from United.

Who that is, I don't really know :) But I expect Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo to all be playing, then the other 3 depends on Fergie's thoughts at the time :)

The only thing might be that Hargreaves might not be risked. He is the key player for the Lyon game, essentially for United's progress in Europe, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him dropped, in favour of Carrick or even Fletcher, who can offer a defensive style which is best suited to Arsenals attack (although nowhere near as good as Hargreaves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

United Win
    Crap. I voted Arsenal win :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I vote for both to loose? :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

United Win
    PHB wrote: »
    I can't see Ronaldo being rested in this one to be honest, infact I can't see anybody being rested. This game is about more than the FA Cup, it also is a part of the league. If United can beat Arsenal here, it'll put a little doubt into Arsenals mind about who the better team is. Fergie thinks like this normally, so I expect a full-strength team from United.

Not sure about that, Arsenal are really down to the bare bones of a team, Cesc is also unlikely to play, if Utd can't beat Arsenal this weekend with all our injuries then I think we will go on and take the title.

• Advertisement

Draw
    That's the thing, there is certainly a mental side to this in terms of the title.
    Why is Cesc unlikely to play?

United Win
    That's the thing, there is certainly a mental side to this in terms of the title.
    Why is Cesc unlikely to play?

Apparently he has the flu.

That said I still think it will be a close match, actually I can see this being a bad tempered match, Utd better hide the pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Draw

I don't think that matters tbh

In 2003 around this time we were in the exact same position, Arsenal 5 points clear and playing them in 5th round fa cup. Arsenal won but Man Utd went on to win the league.

I've also heard people say if Arsenal won the semi final in 1999 then they would of won the premiership, don't agree.

Draw
    I'm not saying it's decisive, I'm just saying there is defo an influence, and it's in favour of the winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm not saying it's decisive, I'm just saying there is defo an influence, and it's in favour of the winning team.

Am I the only one here Green with Envy, you going making a weekend out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Draw
    slightly off topic.... howd you get the ticket? one united?

Draw
    I live in London, so its a bus up at 9 am, get in around 2ish, get a few scoops in, watch our victory, then head on the bus home, back around 12ish.
    This time I got a ticket through one united, I knew that because the Arsenal allocation was so big that they were ****ing over One Year Season Ticket holders and entering them into the draw, so there was a good chance of it. Same for all the remaining home FA Cup ties I'd say.
    That said, there's a ****load of tickets for this match floating around, a lot of pissed off people after the derby I think, check on the ticket exchange if you don't mind the extra 11 quid they slap on for fun.
    Should be a good day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

United Win
    United are too hit and miss recently for me to have any faith in them getting a result so Arsenal win for me ....

Draw
    I live in London, so its a bus up at 9 am, get in around 2ish, get a few scoops in, watch our victory, then head on the bus home, back around 12ish.
    Should be a good day :)

sounds like a plan :p

United Win
    Unearthly wrote: »
    I've also heard people say if Arsenal won the semi final in 1999 then they would of won the premiership, don't agree.

I think we would have, but we will never know.

Draw
    would HAVE!!! but no that's a load of crap

United Win
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    would HAVE!!! but no that's a load of crap

I think that defeat hit us badly imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Draw
    I'd actually rather Arsenal get knocked out this weekend. In the grand scheme of things, it'll give United a few more games to occupy themselves. It'd be a better plan to concentrate on the League and Chmapions Legaue.

Edit: In response to the 1999 semi-final, I honestly believe that if Bergkamp had scored that penalty, Arsenal would have won the FA Cup and the League. Fair dues to Man Utd for winning the treble, but one must realise the margins on which it was won were very slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Draw
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Crap. I voted Arsenal win :(
    :D
    cson wrote: »
    I'd actually rather Arsenal get knocked out this weekend. In the grand scheme of things, it'll give United a few more games to occupy themselves. It'd be a better plan to concentrate on the League and Chmapions Legaue.
    Nice, get the excuses in early.

I can't believe any fan of any team genuinely wants them to lose. Or at least thinks it would be a "good thing", or would "rather" it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Draw
    Hargreaves has got to start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Clichy and Sagna out for this, as are Fabregas and a couple of others.

United's match to lose IMO. If their front players are on form then they should score a few.

memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXq_-LdxHk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sick list:

Johan Djourou (groin), Robin van Persie (thigh), Abou Diaby (calf), Manuel Almunia (sick), Denilson (hamstring), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring), Walcott (thigh), Clichy (hamstring), Sagna (personal reasons) and Senderos (knee/thigh).

So squad something like: Lehmann, Gallas, Toure, Traore, Hoyte, Fabregas, Flamini, Gilberto, Hleb, Adebayor, Eduardo.

with Fabianski, Eboue, Gilbert, Bendtner & someone else on the bench.

the options for Fabregas are

a: Wenger really wants to win this game: Fabregas and Flamini in central midifeld with Hleb and Eboue on the sides.

b: Wednesday is the big priority: Fabregas on bench, Flamini and Gilberto in CMF.

As an Arsenal fan I care more about Wednesday. This match is away against Utd who will be totally steaming and we have two very young players at fullback against arguably the best offence in the league. That said, putting out a weakened team could lead to a confidence sucking trashing.

Draw
    I think both teams would prefer a win on Wednesday, the issue however is that Milan are probably a much tougher test than Lyon, despite both being tough games. WIth Arsenals injuries, he might decide to prioritise. But personally, I don't think he will, I think he'll put out the best team he can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Draw
    Wenger very rarely puts out the best team he can in the FA Cup, even if it's been United they're playing. He'll rest players for Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Whats the story with Van Persie? I remember a few weeks back he was supposed to have fully recovered and then he was withdrawn late from a matchday squad because of 'flu'...is he really just out with a thigh injury or is there something more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Draw
    Either way you look at it the midfield is not Arsenal's source of goals. If Rio and Vidic can keep Adebayor and Eduardo quiet then we will win. Thats easier said that done though.

I will be devastated if we lose. Losing to City and Arsenal in the same week would be too much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looking at Arsenal's injury list i'm not feeling particularly confident. IMO Arsenal's best hope is to snag a draw and take United back to the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Either way you look at it the midfield is not Arsenal's source of goals. If Rio and Vidic can keep Adebayor and Eduardo quiet then we will win. Thats easier said that done though.

MUCH easier said than done!! we still cant discount arsenals midfield, that little fabregas fella is unreal and can make somehting out of nothing so he needs a close eye on him!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I will be devastated if we lose. Losing to City and Arsenal in the same week would be too much for me.

i think all us utd fans are in agreement there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

United Win
    Can't see Arsenal winning this to be honest. United have been very off of late though so it depends which team shows up. Should be a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The psychological importance of this game is being vastly over-played in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i reckon arsenal have this

United Win
    mayordenis wrote: »
    i reckon arsenal have this

If the CL wasn't in the same week, I'd agree.

Be interesting to see if either or both teams are weakened with that in mind. I think AW will rest players, I think AF won't.

If I'm wrong in that assumption, I'd go with Arsenal, but based on the assumption that Arsenal will play the up-and-comings and United won't, I think United's experience will win it for them.

Draw
    Fergie has said he will be rotating some players around. Personally I think we might see Fletcher tomorrow

United Win
    Fergie has said he will be rotating some players around. Personally I think we might see Fletcher tomorrow

Ok, in that case Arsenal :)

Edit: Actually, isn't Wenger due a 16 year old wunderkid out of nowhere this time of year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Am I imagining things or did I see that Adebayor is doubtful as well? Could've sworn I saw it on Sky earlier, but it hasn't been mentioned here. Huge boost for United if he is.

Yup.

United Win
    Nunu wrote: »
    In the build up to the game the Independent had an interview with Martin Keown. He seems very bitter towards Utd overall.

Absolute legend, a top top defender imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Draw
    Am I imagining things or did I see that Adebayor is doubtful as well? Could've sworn I saw it on Sky earlier, but it hasn't been mentioned here. Huge boost for United if he is.

Here's the full list for ya http://www.arsenal.com/injury.asp?thisNav=First+Team&Title=Injury+News

To be honest i wouldn't be one bit surprised if the vast majority of these were back for the Milan game, Wenger is probably doing his usual thing when he wants to rest players without making it look too bad.

Clichy and Sagna (more so Clichy since Eboue is back) will be the biggest losses as far as i'm concerned, I dread the thought of Hoyte or Traore against Ronaldo:eek:

Draw
    Also,

Whether or not people say Clichy has done a good job against United in the past, without him Ronaldo should get a lot more room. :/

Hey you're the one that's always raggin on Clichy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I hope we dont see Fletcher tomorrow, he aint United quality and even if arsenal dont have a full strength team , fletcher wont make an impact against them.
    In 2-3 year of his United first team appearances i have yet to see him make a decent regular contribution and worthy of a starting place each week.
    We have far better options to start in midfield than Fletcher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Im actually not too pushed about tomorrow.
    The FA cup is the 3rd on the list behind the PL and the CL.
    Both other cups are taking the headlines again now.

Ill go for a united 1-0 win. Arsenal can then concentrate on the big trophies:D

United Win
    I am not even thinking about Wednesday night yet, I certainly want to beat utd, that said with all our injuries it will not be easy.

United Win
    Arsenal 3/1 to win match and 6/1 to win FA Cup, very tempting odds imo.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal 3/1 to win match and 6/1 to win FA Cup, very tempting odds imo.
    Not for me.
    Edit: Actually, isn't Wenger due a 16 year old wunderkid out of nowhere this time of year?
    Hyperbole aside it won't be until next season that we see the next exciting Wenger-boy; Vela will be 19 by then though.

Unless he signs someone new, of course.

playa3 wrote: »
    Clichy and Sagna (more so Clichy since Eboue is back) will be the biggest losses as far as i'm concerned, I dread the thought of Hoyte or Traore against Ronaldo:eek:

fabregas or adebayor are the biggest losses i think!

Draw
    fabregas or adebayor are the biggest losses i think!

I'm not sure where everyone is getting that Fabregas is out? Yes, if he is out that that's a pretty huge blow, along with Ade of course. It's just i really can't imagine Traore being able to deal with Ronaldo as he can be very suspect defensively(although he is very fast at least), plus hoyte isn't used to playing on the left. Gallas would actually be an alternative there too, don't think Wenger will go for that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If United are to prove there worth this evening they need to play the type of football they have been playing previous to this bad spell.

Time to stand up this evening and prove that they are the best team in England. Squirting out a 1-0 will not be good enough for me epecially with The Arses problems.

It rests on Fergusons shoulders, he got the tactics and selection very wrong last week.

playa3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where everyone is getting that Fabregas is out?

he has the flu, he was only playin against blackburn coz arsene had no other choice!

Draw
    he has the flu, he was only playin against blackburn coz arsene had no other choice!

Link? He's not down on the official site as being out and Wenger hasn't mentioned him in any interview i've seen. However Flamini could be out it seems

• Advertisement
Advertisement