Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup 5th Round - Man Utd vs. Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

United Win
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    That's a point - are they more concerned with Milan than an FA cup match? Possibly. But bragging rights still count and for me if you show up you should play.

As an Arsenal fan I'm very pissed off at the way we played,you could see we really did not want to be there, in first half Cesc lost the ball, did not even try and win it back, as a fan I want to win all our matches and FA Cup still means a great deal, but for our players it obviously means nothing, that said, match over, we move on now,starting with Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thoroughly satisfying. Delighted for Nani in particular because he got some OTT stick last weekend when some people were saying he shouldn't be playing for United. Anderson, what can be said that hasn't already been said. Fletcher played a blinder again, although it's hard to see him holding down a place with the midfield available right now. And all this without Ron and Tev having to kick a ball :)

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be pissed off. It wasn't priority 1 but the performance was so devoid of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Draw
    andrew1977 wrote: »
    I hope we dont see Fletcher tomorrow, he aint United quality and even if arsenal dont have a full strength team , fletcher wont make an impact against them.
    In 2-3 year of his United first team appearances i have yet to see him make a decent regular contribution and worthy of a starting place each week.
    We have far better options to start in midfield than Fletcher.

:D:D
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    dont think you understand, a professional keeper should save every shot thats within his reach. Lehman conceded 3 that went past him in his standing space 1st one a faster hand up would saved it, 2nd a hand right, 4th one left hand.

that doesnt mean united got lucky its entirely plausible had he saved them utd would have scored them from other chances.

but a pro keeper should save every shot thats within his reach even the really hard shots.

kdjac

Now it a bits harsh blaming him for 1st (Rooney was 2 yards out and it looped over him) and 2nd (took a big deflection off Gallas which put it in the corner, and again 2 yards or so out). The 4th he could have been positioned better so i'll admin that one but sure while we're at it we'll blame him for the third as he should have got down faster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be pissed off. It wasn't priority 1 but the performance was so devoid of effort.

Yep totally if players like Tony Adams or Ray Parlour were playing that game would have been totally different. Extremely disappointed that the players out there did not seem up for a game against our biggest rivals.

The only time they got passionate was when Nani started to show off. I mean they should have been chasing the game after 1 nil in the same manner !!!

Oh and I agree Lehmann was rubbish, but then again so were both our full backs . And Bendtner really isn't Arsenal material, he seems to have gotten worse over the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Draw
    We're still 5 pt's behind in the one that matters most.:mad:

• Advertisement

United Win
    I really would not blame any one player, collectively we were very poor,you have to wonder what Arsene said before the match. I don't think the result will have any impact on our season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

but sure while we're at it we'll blame him for the third as he should have got down faster :rolleyes:

in theory yes a fitter faster better keeper would have saved that but i didnt blame him cos it was a good finish away from him but if you want too we can. problem with blaming a keeper is that other team fans think it detracts from their performance.

just watched Casialias make a point blank save from a headrer 2 yards out hit right into his space, it is possible :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Unearthly wrote: »
    and Fletcher who everyone slags off at every opportunity

Fletcher is great in these big games. A big game player. He's always playing well and scoring against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Same for Scotland, he produces the goods against Italy and France.

But in general he is poor, it's like he can't get motivated for any of the average teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JæKæ wrote: »
    Fletcher is great in these big games. A big game player. He's always playing well and scoring against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Same for Scotland, he produces the goods against Italy and France.

But in general he is poor, it's like he can't get motivated for any of the average teams

Totally agree, there seems to be 2 Fletchers, Mediocre and Possessed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Draw
    I agree he can look dreadful in some games but he is a squad player, if he played like that every week, he wouldn't be a squad player.

I thought he made a good contribution last season and got some vital goals

This season we haven't seen much of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

United Win
    Fletcher is a damn good player on his day - he showed that against Roma last season and again today. Nani and Anderson, nothing left to say. Amazing prospects. Carrick, Rooney, Evra, hell even Park, were all brilliant too. The win is slightly tarnished by Arsenal's laclustre performance but fook it anyway...

4-0!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

regardless of what anyone says, about arsenal not turning up or their star players not being there, it will still go down in the record books, it will still be recorded for years to come.....that darren fletcher scored two goals against arsenal!! (haha now that REALLY has to sting!!)

United Win
    A good headline just came to me...

Four-play as United Spank L'Arse

Archimedes wrote: »

I would bet that appears somewhere morrow, i know a certain reporter from the Star reads here regularly (actually posts too).

Gwan dave use it and give credit to archimedes for it :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Archimedes wrote: »
    A good headline just came to me...

Oh thats good. Thats very good!

Pighead wrote: »
    Oh thats good. Thats very good!

So is it in the Indo ?

Off all the journos i hate Daniel somfin Donnell the dundalk fan tops on my list.

Do you like him?

kdjac

odd you say that, whats your 2nd name?

:D

kdjac

So is it in the Indo ?

Off all the journos i hate Daniel somfin Donnell the dundalk fan tops on my list.

Do you like him?

kdjac
    I think he's alright actually. He's usually pretty much on the money. No sensationalist crap either.

He used to do a great job on Oriel Web as well. I'll have nothing said against any Dundalk man.

Except for Staunton. He's fair game.

odd you say that, whats your 2nd name?

kdjac
    2nd name is Head.

Anyway back on topic, is Fletcher the most underrated player in world football today?

2nd name is Head.

LMFAO!!!! :D:D;)

Pig head in back on topic shocker.

kdjac

• Advertisement

is Fletcher the most underrated player in world football today?

no hes not, he has one good game once in a blue moon, lets be honest, today he was made look good by a medeocre (sp?) arsenal team, nothing to get too excited about imo!

no hes not, he has one good game once in a blue moon, lets be honest, today he was made look good by a medeocre (sp?) arsenal team, nothing to get too excited about imo!
    Ooops forgot to use the :p smiley. I actually despise Fletcher. Especially as I had Rooney to score 1st and Utd to win 2-0 and Rooney to score 1st and Utd to win 3-0 today.

Ooops forgot to use the :p smiley. I actually despise Fletcher..

thank god for that, i was worried there, i didnt want to go on a mad "fletcher is sh!te" rant, for fear of trolling accusations, but i dont underrate him or overrate him......i just plainly dont rate him at all! :D

thank god for that, i was worried there, i didnt want to go on a mad "fletcher is sh!te" rant, for fear of trolling accusations, but i dont underrate him or overrate him......i just plainly dont rate him at all! :D
    I hear ya brother. We're singing off the same hymnsheet. He'd have to have another 5 or 6 of those performances in a row before I'd even consider changing my opinion of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Draw
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the fans that have travelled up from London, they deserve better.

I felt I got what I deserved :P
    DesF wrote: »
    Arsenal have no midfield, I wonder why Wenger played Cesc, he must still be feeling ill, there is no other explanation for this performance.

I think that's the easy explanation, but I don't think its the correct one. The reason United won today was because they didn't let Arsenal play the ball out of their defence. They were constantly closed down by the hard work of Rooney, Anderson, Nani, Park and Fletcher. Those 5 players are actually possibly the most hard-working players we have when it comes to closing down, and they didn't let the Arsenal back 4 pass it around at all.
    As such, the midfield couldn't get the ball. So it went from the back 4, long ball up, lost the ball, and then United attack again.
    This is probably the best way to stop Arsenal, against the way United have tried in the past, which is to only close them down in the last 1/3 of the pitch, which just hasn't worked.

What a game :)

Fletcher easily MOM, were it not for Anderson, who was just unreal. Everything he touched turned to gold. It's great to see him attack, because he's been playing so deep, his real talent attacking hasn't come to the fore. I honestly think he can be one of the best players of his generation. He's out-shon Cesc twice now, and did pretty well against Gerrard too.

But Fletcher was fantastic, really deserved those goal/goals today. Best thing about it is that now we can play Hargreaves against Lyon.

Carrick was suberb, and has foud his form again. That pass for Nani's was something else, but that one for Park was unreal, as was the ball into Saha. Great stuff, looks to be finding his confidence again.

Nani showed all of his potential today. His crossing was top top notch. His corner taking is just fantastic. He has a real goal threat, and really took his goal amazingly well.

Rooney despite possibly missing maybe 4 one-on-ones, was still fantastic. He is defo United's key player, because while we can cope without Ronaldo, we can't without Rooney.

All in all, what a ****ing game :) Great atmosphere, great play, and great result :) All with three key players rested for the Lyon game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

United deserved to win 4-0.
    Arsenal simply did not turn up at all. Wenger knows! This can be used as motivation for the CL and the return trip for the league in April which may have been his intention all along;)

PHB wrote: »
    Rooney despite possibly missing maybe 4 one-on-ones, was still fantastic. He is defo United's key player, because while we can cope without Ronaldo, we can't without Rooney.

this is worrying....we have far too much over reliance on rooney, altho he is an amazing player and i love the fact he plays for utd...but we cant count on him to be fit every game all season, we need to shake the over reliance if we are to mount a stronger title shot than we have now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Magnificent result!!! Has completely renewed my faith in humanity!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Draw
    when is th draw for the next round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Draw
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    when is th draw for the next round?

Tomorrow lunch I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Tomorrow, Monday lunch-time...It's always the same for every round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Draw
    I have to say, it was the first match i watched all 90mins+ We played alright, it seemed like an easy match. I have to say Arsenal went in there with so much confidence and i expected at least a goal. I was disappointed the way the players picked on Nani especially Fabregas. I would have expected a lot more!
    That said, RED DEVILS FOR LIFE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I have to say, it was the first match i watched all 90mins+
    That said, RED DEVILS FOR LIFE!!!!!

Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

United Win
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's probably only 13 or so, bless him.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Why do you find this ironic, am female btw and not 13!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Why do you find this ironic

i would assume its because it was the first full 90 minutes of football youve ever watched, yet youre throwing out stuff like
    RED DEVILS FOR LIFE!!!!!

Draw
    Am a girl, i watch Match of the day for all the news and highlights also bbc.co.uk for the more details.

:)

hey it was a minor comment, leave the girl alone, if she wants to be a utd fan....LET HER!! (regardless if she watches full 90 minutes week in week out)

Am a girl, i watch Match of the day for all the news and highlights also bbc.co.uk for the more details.

:)

[rant]

This is the reason why i cant stand 90+% of United fans. Pretty much every weekend i go a watch either Arsenal and/or United in the pub and im telling ya there are about 3/4 united fans who do the same but when the "big" games come around you cant even get a seat cause of so many united "fans" watching the big match. Event junkies to say the least!!

There are a lot of decent united fans out there. Shame they are in the single digit minority. I know there are fans like this for most clubs but to be fair United have more then enough for all other clubs put together.

Another thing!

I remember watching the 2nd leg of the Spurs Arsenal game in the CC a few weeks ago and on the TV came a Arsenal fan with the a rocky shirt on him. A gang of about 6 "spurs!" fans started to take the piss calling him the italian stallion etc. Now these werent young by any means they were all in their fifties but these new spurs fans (they were probably united/liverpool/celtic/insert whoever is winning fans) didnt have a clue of the shirts real meaning that it was actually a shirt for Rocky Rocastle who died of cancer 7 years ago, who scored the winner at white hart lane in the semi of the league cup about 20 years ago. So that t-shirt was very symbolic and thats why the camera man picked him out.

I just hate clueless football "fans" who jump on the bandwaggon who have no clue or respect for anything!

[/rant]

Not directed at red devil for life girl, just making a point.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jank wrote: »
    [rant]

Which is:confused:...honestly, I don't understand why you posted all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Draw

Some of the most die hard fans here only get up from the armchair when they lose the remote, I wouldn't worry about it.

United Win
    [rant]

I remember watching the 2nd leg of the Spurs Arsenal game in the CC a few weeks ago and on the TV came a Arsenal fan with the a rocky shirt on him. A gang of about 6 "spurs!" fans started to take the piss calling him the italian stallion etc. Now these werent young by any means they were all in their fifties but these new spurs fans (they were probably united/liverpool/celtic/insert whoever is winning fans) didnt have a clue of the shirts real meaning that it was actually a shirt for Rocky Rocastle who died of cancer 7 years ago, who scored the winner at white hart lane in the semi of the league cup about 20 years ago. So that t-shirt was very symbolic and thats why the camera man picked him out.

I just hate clueless football "fans" who jump on the bandwaggon who have no clue or respect for anything!

[/rant]

Slightly off topic but I have Rocky to thank for supporting Arsenal, remember the first time I was him play was for England,he was superb, thought to myself, wonder what club he plays for, and the rest as they say is history.He died so young. Remember the minutes silence was against Spurs at Highbury and it was 100%respcted by the Spurs fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why do you find this ironic,

Let me explain myself. It just seemed strange that someone who has only seen their first match in full* has suddenly become adie hard fan.

*Of course I'm assuming you watched it on TV. Then again maybe you were at the game? or at least had some kind of experience that made you want to support a team, not just "oh, theyre good, Ill support them".
    Meh, who am i to judge

Slightly off topic but I have Rocky to thank for supporting Arsenal, remember the first time I was him play was for England,he was superb, thought to myself, wonder what club he plays for, and the rest as they say is history.He died so young. Remember the minutes silence was against Spurs at Highbury and it was 100%respcted by the Spurs fans.

He was a quality player. Some good stuff on youtube on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The way you posted was pretty ironic to be honest but fair play if it's merely a stepping stone to you becoming a more hardcore fan. Plus, we need more wimmins around here (although some might say a few of the regulars around here fall into that category! :D)

Rocky was a legend. Loved him when he played for us, just wish he'd have stayed longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Draw
    wait a second.... a woman watchin football for enjoyment ?!? this must be heaven :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

United Win
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    wait a second.... a woman watchin football for enjoyment ?!? this must be heaven :p

Quit the trolling.

United Win
    [rant]

This is the reason why i cant stand 90+% of United fans. Pretty much every weekend i go a watch either Arsenal and/or United in the pub and im telling ya there are about 3/4 united fans who do the same but when the "big" games come around you cant even get a seat cause of so many united "fans" watching the big match. Event junkies to say the least!!

There are a lot of decent united fans out there. Shame they are in the single digit minority. I know there are fans like this for most clubs but to be fair United have more then enough for all other clubs put together.

Another thing!

[/rant]

Yup, only with United fans though. Its important to note that this is NOT the case with Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tranmere, Daggenham & Redbridge etc. Thought I would just point this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

United Win
    Aside from the gender comments, which I'm not at all happy about, how exactly do you think people start supporting a club?

Not everyone has a father/mother/sister/brother/etc interested in football.

I started supporting my team, because I was taken to a game when I was really young, but I only REALLY took an interest in watching football regularly when I was working in a bar as an (admittedly underage) teen. If I hadn't already chosen my team by then, I could well be a fan of United or Blackburn or Newcastle or any other team who was doing well then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement