Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things closing down on Parnell Street

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Walking home from the cinema last Saturday, Conways, the pub a bit closer to O'Connell St, and Movie Magic all looked very closed down. Anyone know what's happening there?

That movie magic dude took my 10 euro deposit and is probably doing all sorts of fun things with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A lot of that stuff has been bought up for the new shopping centre that planning permission is being sought for later this month. It'll stretch from Henry Street to Parnell Street and include the old Fingal offices, Royal Dublin Hotel, Carlton Cinema site and most of Moore St. Movie Magic if it's still down by the Ilac isn't part of that though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Isn't that O'connell st your talking about jdivision.
    DCC make me laugh. A few years ago when they originally dug up that street and installed the paving,before the most recent digging up,there was a sign in the central part of the street directly outside the new ugly pennys building,saying that O'Connell was a protected street and the buildings on it were part of out heritage. They then go and stick up the spire and now will probably approve a poxy looking shopping centre,it makes you wonder about our heritage and how much money it takes to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

they're opening a big tesco next to chapters...

I like Parnell Street the way it is, all run down and ghetto-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

It could do with a bit of wash really.

I like the idea of the ambassador turning into a library. but what are the chances of it looking like a cool funking library inside like the new york public library, as opposed to looking like a mobile classroom. Slim! i'd say.

The dodgy pub that's not Conway's was open when i went past last night. Conway's was still shuttered though. I hope it's only a temp thing, it's one of the few nice pubs this side of town. I've enjoyed the odd pre & post cinema drink there. It's pretty old too if their wall plaques are to be believed.

Movie Magic is going to be a indian restaurant by the looks of the big poster above it. It was the best dvd rental place about. Tonnes of 80's/90's crap for next to nothing.

I should really do my own research before starting threads shouldnt i.

On a side note, the concrete runway thing leading to mcdonalds on parnell st is the uglest, most pointless pile of crap. Lose it ronald.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

dubtom wrote: »
    DCC make me laugh. A few years ago when they originally dug up that street and installed the paving,before the most recent digging up,there was a sign in the central part of the street directly outside the new ugly pennys building,saying that O'Connell was a protected street and the buildings on it were part of out heritage. They then go and stick up the spire and now will probably approve a poxy looking shopping centre,it makes you wonder about our heritage and how much money it takes to ignore it.

Whats wrong with the spire? And what wrong with developing an old building that would otherwise be left to fall apart. Isnt it time some decent shops got built or put onto O'Connell St and that general area.

• Advertisement

chris d wrote: »
    The dodgy pub that's not Conway's was open when i went past last night. Conway's was still shuttered though. I hope it's only a temp thing, it's one of the few nice pubs this side of town. I've enjoyed the odd pre & post cinema drink there. It's pretty old too if their wall plaques are to be believed.

It's been bought by the developer for use as part of the shopping centre - it's a street based centre though so it'll probably be a shop.

dubtom wrote: »
    DCC make me laugh. .

Yep it's part of it hence including old Fingal offices, carlton cinema etc. It's far larger than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alicia Dublin

chris d wrote: »
    Walking home from the cinema last Saturday, Conways, the pub a bit closer to O'Connell St, and Movie Magic all looked very closed down. Anyone know what's happening there?

That movie magic dude took my 10 euro deposit and is probably doing all sorts of fun things with it.
    Hi,

did you find out about Magic Movie Store and how to get this deposit back?

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the spire? And what wrong with developing an old building that would otherwise be left to fall apart. Isnt it time some decent shops got built or put onto O'Connell St and that general area.

because the let it fall apart in order to develop it. thats whats wrong.

Advertisement