Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Vs Seat

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Long time reader - first time poster:)
    So, here's the dilemma:confused:
    VW Golf 1.4 TSi (122 bhp) Comfortline @ circa €26,000
    Seat Leon 1.4 TSi (125 bhp) Sport plus @ circa €24,000

Yes, the Leon is better value and even has more std equipment but I don't think it has as good a resale value as the Golf.

Looking for opinions here and possibly your experiences with living with these cars and trade in value.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

As a Seat Driver id go with the Leon you get more bang for your buck and the reliability of a VW for less than a VW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is the reliability of a VW a good thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

colm_mcm wrote: »

Generally not, but you could do far worse ;)

Personally I'd go with the Leon my self (the head says so,) but deep down I may rather the golf for some strange reason, no doubt I'd be happy with either. Go for the leon ;)

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Why does VW have this "reliability factor" attached to their marque?

In all the big surveys, VW never score high on reliability. Sure the old Beetle was reliable relative to the competition in it's day...maybe the legendary reliability of this model - still lives on in people's minds.

(Anecdotally, any car I see broken down at the side of the road seems to be a VW)

Of the 2 I'd go for the Golf, seems to have image and resale going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

OK, be logical about this.

On financial grounds look at the cost of ownership issues:

Cost to buy minus cost to sell minus cost to maintain.

Given that reliability will probably be the same (depending on the length of ownership/warranty, it could be nil) either way as they're basically the same I'd exclude it from the equation.

Have a look at resale values and see what you'll take a hit for.

Then, factor in issues such as spec, badge value etc, I.E. allocate a value to each item of spec the SEAT has over the VW and deduct it from the depreciation.

You get the idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd go with the Leon. Looks better, has more equipment, is 2k cheaper.
    Bargain more off and it'll be even cheaper again. In 3 years time, it will probably be worth only about 2k less than the same year Golf, making it depreciate the exact same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

He really should have said "the reliability of Skoda"..

I would go for the Leon, as the Golf looks like it was pumped up, and is bordering on an MPV at this stage.

Altho I'm no great fan of the current Leon's looks either. Older model was better vs the competition. There is always the Octavia... I believe the boot is huge.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I would go for the Leon, as the Golf looks like it was pumped up, and is bordering on an MPV at this stage.

you do realise that the Leon you'd pick over the Golf (because the Golf is too MPV-ish) looks like this?
    06-f3q-a.jpg

you do realise that the Leon you'd pick over the Golf (because the Golf is too MPV-ish) looks like this?
    MPV or that? I know it's no oil-painting, but it is the size of a car.

• Advertisement

The Leon is about the most MPV-ish looking non MPV out there! In fact, I don't know what an Altea is for. It looks the same as a Leon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Are Skodas really as reliable as people say they are? I mean they were VWs last time I checked, and I know VWs certainly are not reliable!

As for the Leon, between that, the Altea and Toledo, I always thought Seat made 3 cars when all they needed was one.

The Leon is about the most MPV-ish looking non MPV out there! In fact, I don't know what an Altea is for. It looks the same as a Leon.
    Golf is quite a bit taller than the Leon. And that's official.

It looks like a Chinese knock of an Alfa 147

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That engine is excellent if supply is anything to go by:

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=231160

It looks like a Chinese knock of an Alfa 147
    That would be because the Alfa guy responsible for the 147 moved to Seat. The first Ibiza after his arrival looks remarkably like the 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think one of the saloons looks very much like the 156 from the back as well, particularly the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP also take into account that the new MkVI Golf is being launched in the next 12 months. This will impact resale value of the current model.

Regarding the Leon I like the exterior styling and the Golf looks very conservative next to it. The one let down of the Leon though is the cabin, the quality of plastics is very poor imo. Also unless you buy one with the digital climate control there is a very large blank area in the centre console area. Compared to the stylish exterior it looks like they ran out of ideas when they got to the inside.

Underneath both cars are the exact same.

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP also take into account that the new MkVI Golf is being launched in the next 12 months. This will impact resale value of the current model.

Regarding the Leon I like the exterior styling and the Golf looks very conservative next to it. The one let down of the Leon though is the cabin, the quality of plastics is very poor imo. Also unless you buy one with the digital climate control there is a very large blank area in the centre console area. Compared to the stylish exterior it looks like they ran out of ideas when they got to the inside.

Its most strange that vw are replacing the golf when it seems to be doing better than ever.It also seems to be considered the best car in its class which is more that was ever said for the mk3 or 4.I hope vw are'nt gettin greedy.There are rumours of cheaper rear suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its most strange that vw are replacing the golf when it seems to be doing better than ever.It also seems to be considered the best car in its class which is more that was ever said for the mk3 or 4.I hope vw are'nt gettin greedy.There are rumours of cheaper rear suspension

That's exactly what they're doing. Brought forward the Mk 6 Golf by a year or two in order to cut the production costs of it, by getting rid of multilink rear suspension, plus other things, to make it more profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the Focus was the overall best car in it's class.

Also the MkV costs too much to produce hence the rapid arrival of the MkVI.

Whatcar.com(and loads of others) will tell you differently.On further research of that suspension thing, vw will most likely keep the multilink rear suspension for euro pean car and putting the cheaper stuff on america's cars

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

the new golf is looking to be a nice too
    presuming its the scirocca thing thats replacing the golf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Of the 2 I'd go for the Golf, seems to have image and resale going for it.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

I'd go for the Leon. With the lower price and extras you won't be losing anything on resale but get a year old example for even better value.
    And Seat are one of the more reliable brands at least according to the surveys.

http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/13105544635.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

The Leon. Looks better and is as reliable as the golf. Better spec as mentioned also. As for depreciation, the Golf will be an old model when you sell it while the Leon is a new model and will be around for another 3-4 years i imagine. That should counteract any extra value the Golf may have now.

Whatcar.com(and loads of others) will tell you differently.On further research of that suspension thing, vw will most likely keep the multilink rear suspension for euro pean car and putting the cheaper stuff on america's cars

I believe that is what will happen, VW want to make their US offerings more "US friendly"(how putting a diesel into their US market cars makes them more US friendly is beyond me but anyway), so definately the expensive multilink suspension will go for America, but the MkVI Golf is a development of the MkV's chassis AFAIK so there is no reason why the MkVI Golf for us can't keep the independent rear suspension.

Biro wrote: »
    Brought forward the Mk 6 Golf by a year or two in order to cut the production costs of it, by getting rid of multilink rear suspension, plus other things, to make it more profitable.
    AFAIK Euro Golf MkVIs will retain the expensive multilink rear suspension(it is a development of the MkVs chassis after all), but Golfs/Jettas for North America will ditch the multilink rear suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Consider an Octavia VRS, nearly new you can get them for about €26,000.
    (only kidding)... I'd go for the Leon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

I would go for the Seat Leon if I was planning to keep it for a few years..
    The new Golf doesn't impress me at all (just to look at, as I haven't driven one). I prefer the Leon's look. It looks like a bigger Alpha Romeo 147 from the back, the front is sort of nice too. The Golf is just a little boring looking imo

Advertisement