Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own both consoles? XBox 360 or PS3?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I'm having the same dilemma as the guy in the GTA4 post - I'll be buying a console primarily for GTA4, but of course want to play other games.

In that thread someone who owned both consoles gave an opinion, so just to expand on that.

FOR THOSE WHO OWN BOTH CONSOLES - If you had to pick one right now, just based on your experiences so far RE - Graphics, usability, reliability (360's seem to break), multiplayer (PS3 seems poor online), which would you choose?

And if you'd be so kind, elaborate on why!

I enjoy multiplayer, think the ps3 is too expensive (but it does have blu-ray player) and the game titles seem similar performance wise - so my question is more a test of the console than specific games (or future titles)

Having owned both I would choose - 54 votes

Xbox 360
    0% 0 votes
    PS3
    100% 54 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Own both, and at the moment would go for Xbox 360 (read up about getting one of the newer ones with the 65nm chip sets that run cooler and quieter than the old ones - Google 65nm falcon xbox for more info)

This is mainly due to the games out at the moment. I play my X360 10 times more than I play my PS3, simply because there are far more games available and I own far more games for it. At the moment there are only a few games for the PS3 that I actually would buy.

This will probably change, it was the same when the Xbox 360 first came out.

The PS3 has a number of advantages, it is better hardware, it comes with stuff as standard (blu-ray drive, wifi, online gaming, re-charge battery for controller, bigger hard drive) that you have to get extra with the X360. And long term it seems to be better at being an all round entertainment system, both DVDs, Blu-Ray and h.264 from my PC.

But the problem of the lack of quality games keeps coming up. Despite all the things going for it I still spend far less time actually playing games on the PS3. I played Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Crackdown and a few more when all I play on my PS3 in the same time is Virtual Fighter and Uncharted.

You can also pick up quality 1st gen Xbox 360 games now quite cheap. It will be a while before that happens for the PS3

Plus LIVE (which again you have to pay extra for) kicks Sony Online's ass.

If you had to pick one right now, for actually playing games, I would go for the Xbox 360. And I would probably get an Elite with a serial code that suggests it is a 65nm Falcon (again Google to find out about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Got both too. Would defo recommend the Xbox. I've had one from launch, and it's never missed a beat. I traded it in just before Xmas to get myself a 65nm Elite. Which is only slightly quiter than the older one but I have a lot more piece of mind now with the newer one.

Live is fantastic, one of the best things about the console. Very simple to use and gives games an almost infinte appeal. If you have a few mates with one then I'd have no doubt in recommending the 360.

The PS3 is a great piece of hardware, but the last time I stuck a game in it was September. I only use it as a Blu Ray and DVD player, but it does a great job at that...it's just a shame they wouldn't put in a IR port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Own both and while i think my 360 is great, if i was in the position to buy one now I'd choose the PS3 mainly because:

1) it has the just about all the non-pc games i'm interested in
    2) It's a nice, quiet piece of equipment that doesn't look out of place under my tv - did i mention how quiet it is
    3) The PSN network (which i mainly use for demos and buying games) works very well for me and is free.
    4) The ps3 is a very good blu-ray player and all round entertainment system, which is constantly being updated with new firmware.

I wouldn't get a 360 (if i didn't already have one) because:

1) Couldn't give a crap about live. Have a pc for online multiplayer if i feel the need
    2) The only recent game that was xbox exclusive that i'd care about is Mass Effect which will arrive on the pc in may
    3) The 360 is a noisy fúck of a machine
    4) I've had 2 360's fail in quick succession (both elites, one of which was a falcon) and the bullshít i've gone through with xbox customer support has really soured my view of the console. When it works it's great (the controller is amazing) but when it doesn't work you realise that MS released a buggy console in their race to be No.1 and general consumers are taking shít as a result.
    5) RE: GTA Downloadable content, in my opinion at least 30% of the missions in other GTA games pretty much sucked and i've a nasty feeling that the 360 exclusive downloadable content will fall into this category. The main storyline will be playable off the discs, the exact same on each console, and thats what i'm interested in. Paying extra for non-essential, potentially mediocre, extra missions doesn't appeal.

That's all just my opinion though, I'm sure others will feel different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'm probably not the most qualified to debate on this as I only owned a 360 for two months. However, I should also say the games I played while I had it were some of the top rated at the time (Halo 3, PGR4, Forza 2, Fifa 2008).

Personally, my preference is PS3. I think it is a better piece of hardware with more potential. I had always believed Blu-Ray would be the dominant format so that was also a factor. I also preferred the PS3 exclusives, from the surprisingly good ones (Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank TOD) to the future ones (MGS4, GT5 etc.)

Home and PlayTV were also advantages but tbh I didn't really consider them in my selection. Multiplayer connection has never been a problem for me. I understand a lot of people are still having issues, but I can't really hold that against it if I haven't experienced them.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: johnnyflav - Why do you want an IR port?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Have both, prefer my 360, I'd write a longer post but I've done a few of these, search would bring up previous threads on this. Better games, better selection of games, (much) better controller, better online, better overall UI/friends system. I recommend having both, but if I had to pick, that'd be my preference.

What kind of games do you like other than GTA, what are your favourite games or game series? Or genres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

koneko wrote: »
    Have both, prefer my 360, I'd write a longer post but I've done a few of these, search would bring up previous threads on this. Better games, better selection of games, (much) better controller, better online, better overall UI/friends system. I recommend having both, but if I had to pick, that'd be my preference.

What kind of games do you like other than GTA, what are your favourite games or game series? Or genres.

What she said...
    PS3 is still a damn fine console though, and is getting more and more use these days now that the library of games is growing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

haven't owned either but going by the consensus its a no brainer - xbox360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

xbox 360 is a no brainer for me. While you definitely wouldn't feel short changed with a PS3 the xbox 360 has all the games available for it but more exclusives and does everything better despite not having a blu ray player. My PS3 has been used for about 8 hours in the last 4 months and those 8 hours were to play Uncharted. Haven't had a need to turn it on since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

koneko wrote: »

I absolutely loved San Andreas, one of my favourite games of all time! Both flatmates own ps2 and old xbox so i've used both and never really had a preference. Neither controller really appeals to me more so than the other. I like everything from football games, racing, shoot-em-up, to the resident evil type games.

The big PS3 releases that are given here are Gran Turismo and MGS, both of which are games are series i like, but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

The multiplayer is something that appeals to me, but with my job (may be located in a rural area) unless i cant get broadband, i'd probably buy a PS3, but if i could get broadband it would definitely be an Xbox 360.

Opinion seems quite contrasting as to graphical performance, this mouse-over comparison is pretty good and would seem to indicate the Xbox 360 is better for that range of games.

Thanks for all the replies they're all well balanced. I'd say at this stage im swaying towards a 360, was just a bit concerned about all the crash stories i've heard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

360 by a hundred million miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dmigsy

360 all day long even though my 360 is currently back with Microsoft due to rrod. I play my ps3 resenting it because it's not the 360.

Why? Better controller, better online, better versions of multi-format games (in most cases). Xbox live really is the best way to play online games and is all round well worth the 60 quid it costs per year. Plus Msn messenger integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I would say 360 but only by a small margain as it stands now.
    No one I know who owns a PS3 uses it online, and feel more isolated on it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had the same question over xmas.
    Pretty much every reply of the 5 pages said go for the 360.
    I did in the end and have no regrets.
    Live is fantastic,so easy and so good.
    Some quality games for the 360 aswell.
    I stilll prefer my pc but it cost almost 2k.

On the downside its incredibly noisey and annoyingly so.
    My pc is 8 times its size with 4 huge fans on it [one bigger than the xbox itself] and its whisper quiet,then again i did go for quiet hardware when building.

No brainer between the 2 consoles,360 by a country mile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am going for the PS3 and I guess the reason boils down to one word,

Potential.

That is the fact that the PS3 hasn't even begun to flex it's muscles in the performance area, it's games have yet to push the boundries of what it can do while the compulsory inclusion of the hard drive means that it'll be more capable of bigger, faster loading games.

The biggest problem for me was the lack of rumble, that deficit of feedback has been met by the launch of the DualShock 3.

The 360, on the other hand, seems to be reaching it's limits, games are taking longer to load and all the great exclusives devs that they had signed on, Bizarre, Bungie, are now free agents and we can expect high quality output from them on any format they choose, not just the 360.

Right now, sure the 360 has more games, but I see that for new releases anyway, many are across both platforms, and in the future we may well see more releases on the PS3 than 360, especially from the Japan based devs.

And there is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about and that the possible replacement of the 360 with 2 years, I reckon a very likely prospect indeed, given the ease with which Microsoft abandoned the existing Xbox owners with the launch of the 360, can we expect any better from them when the successor to the 360 appears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've gotten far more out of my PS3 than my 360 (all four of them, in between breaking down and being replaced)

PS3 exclusives from the last year I really liked:
    Folklore, Formula 1, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Loco Roco Cocorecho, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, Calling All Cars

360 exclusives from the last year I really liked:
    Crackdown, Mass Effect, Forza 2, PGR4, Lost Oddyssey

Of course there's a ton of great multiplatform titles - I tend to prefer them on 360 if they're an FPS or 3rd Person Shooter, and on PS3 if anything else - this is because the 360 has much better sticks for aiming and shooting, but the PS3 has far better d-pad and buttons for sports / fighting / platforming etc.

In short you won't be disappointed with either, but the PS3 is the one to go for and it's only getting stronger while all of Microsoft's core developers are moving to multiplatform and Sony have a ton of exclusives coming at the same time.

I think a lot of people see the 360 as the better games library because they had it first, and then get a PS3 and said "what extra does it have?", which isn't a whole lot since 95% of games are on both. If they had a PS3 first and moved to 360 they'd find it had less new to offer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,366 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

being a person who owns both consoles since the day they launched

got my ps3 in america

any way

i would choose the ps3 because

1 saves me alot of money on games (importing from usa)
    2 great blue ray player which is the future
    3 not noisey at all unlike the 360
    4 psn is free

i enjoyed played PS3 exclusives
    , Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Loco Roco Cocorecho, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I'm feeling nice and smug with my PS3! Although I really enjoyed Halo 3 last year, I found crackdown to be good craic but insanely short lived and a complete lack of mini games or enough sub missions!

As above, Potential! The PS3 is going to come out like a steamroller when it's ready! The proposal of an online mmorpg could enable the machine to sky rocket for all those bored with the dying mule that is WoW. Ah I just find the 360 to be flimsy both in construction and execution of it's titles.

Playstation, with over 10 years experience know that these things take time, and endurance wins the race in console wars!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The proposal of an online mmorpg could enable the machine to sky rocket for all those bored with the dying mule that is WoW

10 million subscribers last time i heard,new expansion out in the future too,far from dead imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

have the full suite of next gen consoles and for me when it comes to games there is a clear winner thats the xbox360, ps3 is fine but has yet to show that its potential will ever be reached, its out over a year and has what? one game of note.
    the xbox is slightly weaker maybe, and has for me dozens of games worth owning and more and more on the horizon, plus that nonsense about an mmo on the psn is silly ncsoft are making one for the 360 as are bioware i know there was talk of wow being made on the 360 aswell, and with more and more games showing cross platform multiplayer between pc and 360, live is a much better network than psn also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I only own the 360 but I'd say go for the ps3 as it won't break after 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i only own a ps3 and a wii.

i will never buy an xbox360 so long as you have to pay to play multiplayer.

i'd rather suck wet monkey balls than pay to play a game hosted by some ****ty 2mbit/256k connection.

hahaha Cremo I recall your somewhat laggy ass in CS a few years back :P

True though, it should be ****ing free to play with your mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I've only had my PS3 since January (and only have two games for it) and I'd still take it over the 360.
    Couple of things:

- I don't like paying fees for online gaming unless it's an MMORPG. Hell, the way things are going I can just wait for a PC release and play online with superior controls (I grew up on the keyboard so I'm used to playing FPS games that way).

- I don't want to have to wear headphones to hear what I'm playing. Yes, the 360 really is that loud (IMHO).

- The 360 focus definatly seems to be the college FPS online player. As I've stated I'm not a great fan of FPS games on consoles. The PS3 also just has more games lined up that I'd like.

That said I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. Still, if given the choice I'd sell the 360 in a heartbeat. Also I'm getting pretty miffed at my 360's constant disc read errors. I'm getting the feeling it's on it's last legs (RROD a month ago but a restart cleared that up).
    However, if you do decide to buy a 360 MAKE SURE IT USES THE NEW FALCON CHIP. These use a smaller process than the old Zephyr. I've heard, though, that Microsoft are working on new chips but it's not worth holding out for - no doubt there'll be new ones after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Anyone who says the PS3 has better exclusive games needs there head examined:D Gears,Halo,PGR,Bioshock,Mass Effect. Potential? You buy a games console to play games now, not to wait months for something decent to come out

GoW, clockable on the highest difficulty in less then 7 hours even when your stuck for a while.Has decent online players,but you have to pay for it and the host often lags depending on the connection.

Halo 3,rubbish multiplayer IMO,weirdly slow moon feeling could have been dropped. Also clockable in the same time frame on legendary.Have to pay to play online

PGR....kudos....it's no Gran Turismo that's for sure!

I could go on. But honestly, the 360 is gonna need some big titles to keep it in everyones good books! What exclusives do they have the horizon that can compete with MGS4,GT5,Silent Hill 5 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

PGR isn't aiming for the same market as Gran Turismo really, that's more Forza.

Alan Wake is a big title on the horizon for the 360, although it'll be available for pcs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

GT5-Forza

Not bothered about Silent Hill, looking forward to Resi Evil 5 as Im sure you are ;)

PS3 pad is sh1te as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    GoW, clockable on the highest difficulty in less then 7 hours even when your stuck for a while.Has decent online players,but you have to pay for it and the host often lags depending on the connection.

Halo 3,rubbish multiplayer IMO,weirdly slow moon feeling could have been dropped. Also clockable in the same time frame on legendary.Have to pay to play online

PGR....kudos....it's no Gran Turismo that's for sure!

I could go on. But honestly, the 360 is gonna need some big titles to keep it in everyones good books! What exclusives do they have the horizon that can compete with MGS4,GT5,Silent Hill 5 etc?

Did you just criticize Gears of War for being too short and then say the Xbox has nothing to rival Metal Gear Solid? Hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    Silent Hill 5

SH5, like nearly every big game coming out this generation is multiplatform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Have both....

360 all day long. Better controllers, better games, better interface, better online just all round better.

Oh and here's one thing that nobody else has mentioned. "backups"
    If one was so inclined they could Mod their 360 to play backups, which as far as im aware is not illegal. However if you were to download these "backups" off the intraweb for free than and burn em this would be highly illegal and would break a whole host of copyright and piracy laws which of course is in now way condoned by boards.ie or myself :rolleyes:

Advertisement