Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own both consoles? XBox 360 or PS3?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Anyone who says the PS3 has better exclusive games needs there head examined:D Gears,Halo,PGR,Bioshock,Mass Effect. Potential? You buy a games console to play games now, not to wait months for something decent to come out

Gears - Uncharted matches its gameplay, adds a dash of variety, and actually puts it in an interesting setting with a great storyline and better graphics to make a far better game overall, albeit a less hyped one because Sony don't spend as much buying reviewers as Microsoft clearly do judging by the repeatedly overblown reviews of Perfect Dark Zero, then Gears, then Bioshock, then Halo...

Halo - Completely overrated FPS. Why play this when you could play COD4 or Orange Box on either console? I got more entertainment from the co-op mode of PS3 exclusive Resistance(which I also don't rate) than I did from Halo 3.

PGR - there's nothing in quite the same mould as PGR on PS3 but there's plenty of racing games that are every bit as good as it - GT5P, DIRT, Formula 1, Burnout... Oh and Bizarre have confirmed their next racing game (ie real sequel to PGR, though Microsoft own the name) will be coming to PS3.

Bioshock - PC game. And an overrated one at that. Best corridor shooter in years, I'll give it that.

Mass Effect - this is the only thing that actually made me want to touch the 360 again after getting my PS3 last March. And it was a very good game, but it was over quite quickly and I was back to my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

steviec wrote: »
    Gears - Uncharted matches its gameplay, adds a dash of variety, and actually puts it in an interesting setting with a great storyline and better graphics to make a far better game overall.

Dont think many will agree with you there. Gears is far superior, it got a 94% average on Metacritic compared to Uncharted 88%
    MS paying off reviewers? Get real

BioShock got numerous game awards and it has a metacritic score of 96% Hardly overated now is it?

Halo multiplayer is perfection, and PGR and Forza are if you want a realistic racer. How was Mass Effect over quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bioshock is totally overrated.

you're saying because because it got a high score by so many reviews and numerous game awards that it's not overrated. it is tbh.

it's a poor mans system shock in my book, it's a good game but it's not deserving of a 96% score and it's definitely not deserving of people creaming their pants when someone utters it's name.

also halo as multiplayer perfection come off it tbh.

pong is more multiplayer perfection than (as retro kindly put it before) glorified space invaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

Own both. Xbox 360 by a mile.
    PS3 may have potential but that does mean anything at the moment. Lots of games had potential but sucked.
    Crackdown, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Lost Oddyssey, Halo 3(multi-player, single player bit too short), Gears of War all brillant.
    The PS3s controller sucks and PSN is also bad
    Xbox 360s live is by miles better than PSN and its is well worth the money and the achievements is a nice touch
    If there was a game on both platforms I'd buy it on the Xbox.
    But I cant wait for MGS and GT5(GT's are better than Fonza 2)
    So buy both if you can, but my preference is the Xbox 360 by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

it's amazing how many people have both, way too much disposable income in this country, bring back the 80's :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Gears - Uncharted matches its gameplay, adds a dash of variety, and actually puts it in an interesting setting with a great storyline and better graphics to make a far better game overall, albeit a less hyped one because Sony don't spend as much buying reviewers as Microsoft clearly do judging by the repeatedly overblown reviews of Perfect Dark Zero, then Gears, then Bioshock, then Halo...

Yeah sony like to patronise the living bejesus out of reviewers instead, gawd bless their little cotten socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Dont think many will agree with you there. Gears is far superior, it got a 94% average on Metacritic compared to Uncharted 88%
    MS paying off reviewers? Get real

BioShock got numerous game awards and it has a metacritic score of 96% Hardly overated now is it?

Halo multiplayer is perfection, and PGR and Forza are if you want a realistic racer. How was Mass Effect over quickly?

:O You obviously haven't played uncharted to the end on hard or crushing then no?? GoW was a walk in the park, and as above, uncharted offered lush and intriguing settings,diverse platform gameplay and exploration,a battle system that is 100% on par with,even better refined,then GoW,and feels like your playing a hollywood movie,it's bloody funny and doesn't take itself too seriously,along with excellent voice acting and screen play. It completely owns gears of war,and while GoW is a great game,it has seriously linear gameplay and no sense of adventure,its definitely been more talked up then it deserves imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    :O You obviously haven't played uncharted to the end on hard or crushing then no?? GoW was a walk in the park, and as above, uncharted offered lush and intriguing settings,diverse platform gameplay and exploration,a battle system that is 100% on par with,even better refined,then GoW,and feels like your playing a hollywood movie,it's bloody funny and doesn't take itself too seriously,along with excellent voice acting and screen play. It completely owns gears of war,and while GoW is a great game,it has seriously linear gameplay and no sense of adventure,its definitely been more talked up then it deserves imo

Uncharted was fantastic but the combat in GoW was far better.

Uncharted is completely linear aswell btw.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

have non of them 'myself' for the moment:)

that's because i am waiting for
    a less insecure x360 version(i dont want my console break down after 6months!) and
    more games(more good japanese based games or my fav game series,so far both consoles are not doing well,lots of big titles multiplatform).i prefer game with strong story line - never a big fan of FPS and prefer playing COD on pc,mouse ftw!

but,just for the facts,EU is a complete SONY campaign.with the lack of games on 2007 and that crazy delayed launch,ps3 still manage to take down x360 on selling here!!(bear in mind that x360 had MASSIVE big titles in 2007)madness!!!

x360 obviously is a no brainer choice for the moment.unless you are a big fan of MGS like me would like to pay a console for that...*struggling*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I read yesterday about Toshiba abandoning their HD-DVD format for good , which im sure will alter microsoft's strategy.

Question - Assuming xbox360 has the tech spec to handle Blu Ray capacity, would it really be that big a job to put a blu-ray disc reader into new xbox360 models?

The knock on effects from this would be lengthening the life of the xbox360 (with rumours of a replacement within 3 years), but I assume Sony would charge through the nose for licensing Blu Ray? Anyone know how that would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's been rimours saying that they're already preparing to do that. Time will tell, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The blue-ray disc association (BDA) have already announced that they'd be more than happy to have Toshiba and MS as members (contrary to popular belief Blu-Ray is not owned by sony) http://tinyurl.com/38dctq so this could very well happen.

However there is a belief among many people that MS don't want either format to win and only propped up HD-DVD in order to destroy the chances of either High Def format in order to pave the way for their own Digital Download system (i don't know if its true or not but i wouldn't put it past them or sony, or apple or any other company interested in digitala formats if the roles were reversed)

I read yesterday about Toshiba abandoning their HD-DVD format for good , which im sure will alter microsoft's strategy.
    Not really, they released the HD-DVD drives but they would prefer for everything to downloaded from their Live service.
    Question - Assuming xbox360 has the tech spec to handle Blu Ray capacity, would it really be that big a job to put a blu-ray disc reader into new xbox360 models?
    They won't be putting one into the 360 but they have said it would be possible to make a Blu-ray add on drive when they initially released the HD-DVD addon.
    The knock on effects from this would be lengthening the life of the xbox360 (with rumours of a replacement within 3 years), but I assume Sony would charge through the nose for licensing Blu Ray? Anyone know how that would work?
    The 360 isn't going to last longer just with the addition of a Blu-ray drive.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They won't be putting one into the 360 but they have said it would be possible to make a Blu-ray add on drive when they initially released the HD-DVD addon.

Linky for that? Because they said there were "absolutely no plans to support other optical formats", but now there's a Blu-Ray add on in the pipeline here.
    The 360 isn't going to last longer just with the addition of a Blu-ray drive.

I didn't say last longer, but it would most certainly lengthen the product life.

One of the key attractions of a PS3 for me would be that it's a blu-ray player also, but why would i pay so much more for a PS3, when a 360 with Blu-ray add-on would probably be cheaper? Especially when, from this poll, xbox 360 seems like better product.

One of the key attractions of a PS3 for me would be that it's a blu-ray player also, but why would i pay so much more for a PS3, when a 360 with Blu-ray add-on would probably be cheaper? Especially when, from this poll, xbox 360 seems like better product.

A 360 with a blu ray add on certainly wouldn't be cheaper.

360 + HD-DVD drive already costs quite a bit more than a PS3. And that's before you consider the wi-fi, controller batteries and free online that you get with the PS3 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Linky for that? Because they said there were "absolutely no plans to support other optical formats", but now there's a Blu-Ray add on in the pipeline here.

I didn't say last longer, but it would most certainly lengthen the product life.

Well look at it this way, even though Blu-ray has "won" this format war it won't be close to replacing DVD for years yet. If the history of DVD is anything to go by it'll take about another 8 or so years for that to happen, at which point we'll all be on a new generation of consoles and pointless fanboyism.

Frankly having "is a blu-ray player" as a plus for a console is foolish at this point in time.
    Buy the 360 for it's games if thats what you're into and if/when blu-ray takes over from DVD you can probably pick up a dedicated blu-ray player for cheaper than either the add-on for the 360 or a PS3.

Linky for that?
    Because they said there were "absolutely no plans to support other optical formats",
    I didn't say there was plans for one, I said it would be possible. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50664
    but now there's a Blu-Ray add on in the pipeline here.
    Thats says there is no plans for a Blu-ray drive.

They won't be putting one into the 360

You said that like it was fact. Thats what i wanted the link for.
    Thats says there is no plans for a Blu-ray drive.

It also says "It should be consumer choice, and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider" - considering the HD DVD add on is not out long, and that the format has flopped the decision has been made for them. I'd be very surprised if the consideration didn't turn into a Blu-Ray add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

have both and a wii

360 wins, unfortunately i spoiled mine by fw modding, so i play it very very very little any more coz free games just arent as fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given the likely replacement of the 360 within the next 2 years, doesn't it seem probable that they will just build a bluray into the next Xbox machine?

Until then they are probably going to make enough from the dl HD movies from Xbox Live, especially in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Yes MS are pushing DL was the way forward, more HD titles were made available in Ireland today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'm amazed that people still use the fact thta games like GoW was only 7 hours long as a bad thing. That's the length of game I want! It so happens that GoW was the first game in ages I finished and COD4 was my most recent feat (again less than 10 hours) brilliant. More of the same please!

Anyway, it's undeniable that the 360 has the best lineup of games. That's pretty much a fact - or the closest damn thing anyone on this thread is going to get to a fact. 90% of the games out on the PS3 are out on the Xbox and the majority of which are better on the xbox (see Eurogamers regular comparisons). Therefore I would have to side with the 360.

That said the PS3 has more potential - but that's not what the OP asked. Irish U18's had great potential a few years back and look at us now :)

Now the 360 is the clear leader but the race isn't over..... oh and I prefer my wii to either of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Have both and a wii and only use the 360, simply nothing worth playing on the ps3 at the moment. The argument that the ps3 has potential is really stupid i got mine a year ago in the states and since then no exclusives id be remotely interested in and still only gt4 on the horizon. If you want to play good games now then get the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Kristok wrote: »
    Have both and a wii and only use the 360, simply nothing worth playing on the ps3 at the moment.

That's hardly an objective opinion, just because you may not find something interesting on it doesn't mean that there isn't anything.

Kristok wrote: »
    Have both and a wii and only use the 360, simply nothing worth playing on the ps3 at the moment. The argument that the ps3 has potential is really stupid i got mine a year ago in the states and since then no exclusives id be remotely interested in and still only gt4 on the horizon. If you want to play good games now then get the 360.

That's just rubbish. There's about 4 or 5 very good retail exclusives, and another half dozen great downloadable exclusives on PS3 since it came out.

Probably more than the number of worthwhile 360 exclusives, definitely more if you don't count all the 360 games that are also on PC.

Again though, 90% of games are multiplatform and many of them are great, so there's no shortage of games whatever you buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's just rubbish. There's about 4 or 5 very good retail exclusives, and another half dozen great downloadable exclusives on PS3 since it came out.

Probably more than the number of worthwhile 360 exclusives, definitely more if you don't count all the 360 games that are also on PC.

Again though, 90% of games are multiplatform and many of them are great, so there's no shortage of games whatever you buy.

Uncharted is the only reason I turned my PS3 on practically since I bought it in August. Thats reason enough for me to recommend against it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Uncharted is the only reason I turned my PS3 on practically since I bought it in August. Thats reason enough for me to recommend against it.

Have you tried Ratchet & Clank or Folklore or Loco Roco or Stardust HD or Warhawk or Pixeljunk Monsters?

And that's not to mention Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Formula 1 and GT5:P, since I know racing games aren't for everyone and a lot of people didn't like HS as much as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

I have both and genuinely i'd say get the ps3.

The 360 is Sooo noisy and ppl who complain about the size of the ps3 conveniently dont mention that the 360 comes with a massive power supply.

I love gears of war even though its retardedly short but this year in perticular ps3 is gunna shine.Not to mind that I prefer playing on my ps3 cuz I prefer the controller and the console overall but the ps3 exclusive games coming will dominate.
    God of war3,killzone2,mgs4,final fantasy 13 just to name a few.
    and of course having blu ray is handy.

(oh ya,I never had any problems with reliability regarding the xbox.no red rings with me.It did freeze a few times but so did my ps3 before patches came out for uncharted and assassins creed.) PS3 ALL THE WAY

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The whole "it's got Blu-Ray" for the PS3 arguement reminds me of the PS2 having DVD and that people seemed to think this was great. It was, however, the worst DVD/CD playing device I have ever used - the whole media playback thing seemed like a 5 minute after-thought with a rubbish interface and major lack of usability. So, that said, have they got it right this time? Is the Blu-Ray player usable or a hopeless after thought?

In addition, do both of the consoles play CD-R/DVD-R disks or original only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

Kharn wrote: »
    have they got it right this time? Is the Blu-Ray player usable or a hopeless after thought?
    quote]

Ive had no problems with the blu ray player. You're dead right about the ps2 dvd player although it was greatly improved on with the slim ps2.
    The ps3's blu ray interface is similar to the ps2 dvd players one but slightly improved.
    Ive no problems with it

Advertisement