Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

black cars - what do people think of them?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

The look old when older?
    Scratches show up more?
    Get dirty looking quicker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

my sentiments exactly ...but they DO look greak when freshly polished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

worded wrote: »
    The look old when older?
    Scratches show up more?
    Get dirty looking quicker?

They're statements... not questions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I had a black celica a few years back and it looked great with a shine on it even when it was getting on in years. It was tricky to keep clean, but I reckon black is pretty good as long as its not overdone with the window tint and all that. Bonnet was inclined to haze if it had too much wax on, needed a good de-wax with a light rub of t-cut every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The biz except when they are carrying 3 weeks of Irish weather. :( I've had three so I know....bucket, sponge, wet, clean, wash. Repeat ad nauseum.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't like washing your car very regularly or scratches bother you alot then stick with colours like silver.

Black is stunning just after a wash and wax, but one shower of rain and it's back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They're rappiiddd man. Betr n even a white wan. Like a white hondy civic with a rear spoiler and a black racing stripe bud.
    FT f'in W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

There goes the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hah

no second hand cars nearly allways look better in black, im talking 10 year olds..............pluss finishes have improved a lot lately so it may be different but you never seem to get a black car fading the way you get a blue or a red

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah what is it with that paint fade issue? Thats fairly shocking. I was lookin at the 2nd hand hot hatch market a while back, and most of the Astras I saw had this problem, a blotchy horrible fading colour. Made the car look terrible. Havent seen it happen with metallic finishes, but who am I to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah what is it with that paint fade issue? Thats fairly shocking. I was lookin at the 2nd hand hot hatch market a while back, and most of the Astras I saw had this problem, a blotchy horrible fading colour. Made the car look terrible. Havent seen it happen with metallic finishes, but who am I to know?

Fading doesn't tend to happen with metallics, only non-metallics.

Metallic is more robust than non-metallic, doesn't show up marks or scratches as easily and doesn't fade so the way I'd see it is:

If you live in town, commute on main roads and don't mind handwashing your car, then it doesn't matter whether you go metallic or non-metallic.

If you run your car through a carwash regularly (never a good idea anyway), drive on back roads where stuff scrapes the side of your car or if you're keeping the car for over 5 years, go for metallic.

As to the question of whether to go black or not, that's personal preference - black looks deadly clean (but you have to wash it every few days) and looks even better dirty (nothing I love more than a black 5 Series Sport with a big spray of muck up the side - evil!:cool:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Love a deep lustrous black!
    But as with any colour/car a good wax goes a long way to keeping a good finish and resisting dirt.

But black also attract more heat, seems to get shocking warm in black cars in summer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yeah, my cars a hoor to keep clean. However, a browny dust dirt on it, generally suits it!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Pearlescent black keeps its black much better than others. I know of two people who had normal black cars and got one or 2 coats of pearlescent black on top of the paint for added shine. Wasn't too expensive and made the car stand out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Oilrig wrote: »
    They're statements... not questions ;)

They're questions not statements when spoken with an upward inflection on the last word.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I love black cars :D
    I had a 94 corsa ,i nearly had it down to the metal i had it that well polished , but when it was clean it looked savage.

I have a black G6R now , its metallic with like tiny gold flake in it , looks stunning when she's polished up and in the sun.

Were i work is very dusty and the car does be manky by the time friday comes, but i wash it down and have it looking well for the weekend :cool:

Get yourself a black car now ! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

There very dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

Apart from a sports car or a small car, black is the only colour that looks OK when non-metallic.

Save about 800 euro, but never drive without your lights on - black is kind of invisible.

Black looks good if you have a bit of chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Black was in 07!!

Not sure this year!! Im stuck between silver and my favorite met blue!

ADvantages of black:

Doesn't show spots, tar, small scratchs.
    Looks sleek when kept well.
    Doesn't fade as fast as other colours iv noticed.
    Doesn't imply any gender!

Disadvantages:

Some may think black is a bit dark and evil.
    THis saying is pointless as the same goes for clothes yet do people take great care in analzing ... No.

No valid disadvantage! With or without chrome its nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Altough black is the best coulour when polished, i will never buy another black car again, we just dont have the roads/climate to keep them looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I'm thinking black when the new shape ibiza comes out... it's like a baby leon and the leon looks fab in black. Must learn to wash it more often though :rolleyes:

I think it makes your alloys stand out even more too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I looked at this black car and it was paint perfect, it seemed.

On careful examination it appeared the two front wings were not exactly aligned with the bonnet. (different gaps, wing slightly higher on one side)

Crashed car. Im getting good at this. Thank god I spotted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I love black cars, they look nasty and put fear in other drivers.

881069682_f0b28f5545_o.jpg

1115002699_89ba87d323_o.jpg

P10105271.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

black looks great when the car is clean...and even more so with a few chrome accessories

but by god do they get dirty... sometimes i might have to wash my jeep everyday because it gets so filthy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

I had two black cars in the past,when washed/polished they were lovely,but on these roads,you'd only have gone a few miles until it would look manky,also in hot weather they were like ovens,when you'd first get in.Black is easy kept in the city I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I'd be willing to buy a black car alright. Paint has come on alot in the last 8-10years, so fading is as much of a risk on any dark car - if looked after it will be grand.

I have a carbon black M3 in every 2 weeks and it is quickly becoming my favourite colour. When given a good wash and wax, it looks really really well.

IF you're not into washing it at least once a week then it might not be the colour for you. As said above, it will show marks more so then a silver/white. Which means if you put it through an auto car wash - it will show when (or if) the sun comes out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

My alfa is black(well actually very very dark blue, but its black in reality!) and when its washed it looks the biz. I think the colour makes the alloys look better. THe only other colour I'd have on my car is red. I don't think its too bad for dirt etc, I do need to buff out the scratches as they are really noticeable if left alone. I think its a great colour all in though, you get great satisfaction when I wash it!

On another note, I had a red MK3 astra before, the paint faded really badly, got to the stage where compounding would not work any more. Older opels are reknowned for it though. A respray is the only option when a car gets to that stage. Newer metallic paint is not so bad for fading I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I dont know if its just me but for some reason i think that it seems that the owners of black cars are among the majority of drivers that forget to put their lights on in the morning. nearly all the cars I see without lights on seem to be black or other dark coloured cars. How they get away with it i,ll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

jonnygee wrote: »
    I dont know if its just me but for some reason i think that it seems that the owners of black cars are among the majority of drivers that forget to put their lights on in the morning. nearly all the cars I see without lights on seem to be black or other dark coloured cars. How they get away with it i,ll never know.

Not me I like to piss/confuse people with my US headlights lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

worded wrote: »
    The look old when older?

Wouldn't agree with that at all, mine is old but looks alot fresher than alot of cars it's age. They are harder to keep but if you look after it and keep it polished nothing shines up like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

St0n3d wrote: »
    Some may think black is a bit dark and evil.

There was a thread here a few years back about what the different colours mean. Apparantly having a black means you're successfull. I have a black car and.....I'm...very..... ......successfull.

I was originally looking for a silver car but when a I saw a good example in black I snapped it up. I wouldn't change now - the black looks fantastic after a wash, polish and wax.

Advertisement