Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VTEC; How do i know when it cuts in???

Options
  • 15-02-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

I drive a 01 1.6SE VTEC and wonder when the VTEC actually cuts in. Should I be able to feel it ''Kick In'' so to speck or does is it always active.

Normally change gears @ about 3000rpm except when overtaking. Car has 81k on it and thankfully is running well, getting bout 36 - 37 mpg too.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,

Islanderre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You won't feel it or hear it in your car, as you've a sohc engine. VTEC allows the engine to breath at higher rpms, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I had a 2.2 Prelude Vtec and it kicked in a 5,500 RPM and Yes Ya heard the roar and the Kick in the back.. Bury the foot and wait for the boost,they are well able for 7,000 RPM so let it rip.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Fair play on the quick reply lads. Ah well, was just curious if i'd notice the VTEC kick in, pub talk said i should so i thought their must be something wrong with mine as i could not feel anything!!!!!!!

Thanks again folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

islanderre wrote: »
    Fair play on the quick reply lads. Ah well, was just curious if i'd notice the VTEC kick in, pub talk said i should so i thought their must be something wrong with mine as i could not feel anything!!!!!!!

Thanks again folks.

If yours is a 01 SE Civic, can I assume it's the 5 door model that went from 2001 - 2006? If so, then yours is (like JHMEG said) a SOHC v-tec, and you won't have any kick in yours, so there's nothing wrong with it. Your v-tec is there for fuel economy.

You can actually wire up a 12v LED or a small bulb to the wires that drive the VTEC solenoid. When the ECU switches over, the idea is the LED (which you've by now installed in the car) lights up. Common enough to use one of the unused indicator lamp positions in the dash to house this "VTEC indicator"

From memory your VTEC solenoid is at the back of the rocker cover, to the left if you are standing looking into the engine bay.

It's the cylindrical yoke to the top right of this pic, to the left of the blue stuff:
    68954646oi3.jpg

• Advertisement

Biro, your 100% right it is the 01 to 06 5 door modal. So even though its a VTEC which is their for economy, some insurance companies refuse to quote me as they reckon its a high performance car!!!!!!! Daft or what.

Thanks lads.

JHMEG, class photo and many thanks for posting it. I will have a look under the hood during the week and see if mine matchs what you have posted.

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Biro, your 100% right it is the 01 to 06 5 door modal. So even though its a VTEC which is their for economy, some insurance companies refuse to quote me as they reckon its a high performance car!!!!!!! Daft or what.

Thanks lads.

Pure daft. Yours is 110bhp 1.6, that returns only about 1 mile per gallon less than the 1.4, thanks to your V-Tec. It's similar set up to Toyota's VVT-i, but the Toyota system isn't loaded cause they didn't have VVT-i cars that had 160bhp in the past! Unfortunate, but true. Insurance companies are flutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

That's a right pain in the arse alright. When I had an accord and I'd call for an insurance quote I always got the sharp intake of breath when I answered yes to the VTEC question and a huge quote or a 'we don't insure VTEC' line. I always wondered if how the quote system actually works, seems like a nonsense. An as for the 'Honda Insurance' line they had (?) for a while.... so much for all that malarky.

Biro wrote: »
    Pure daft. Yours is 110bhp 1.6, that returns only about 1 mile per gallon less than the 1.4, thanks to your V-Tec. It's similar set up to Toyota's VVT-i, but the Toyota system isn't loaded cause they didn't have VVT-i cars that had 160bhp in the past! Unfortunate, but true. Insurance companies are flutes!
    Worse again, VTEC in that car is really only for marketing.. it's a very very mild implementation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement