Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom router

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

my eircom router keeps on disconnecting on me every 30mins or so whenever I use the ethernet and wireless together. Im thinking of getting a new router but does it take much to set up? can I use another router with the eircom broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,111 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

my eircom router keeps on disconnecting on me every 30mins or so whenever I use the ethernet and wireless together. Im thinking of getting a new router but does it take much to set up? can I use another router with the eircom broadband?

Try updating the firmware.

You can use other routers with eircom, Linksys, Belkin,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Eircom sent out good kit - Netopia usually have no problem with more than one computer connected to them.

Are you sure its not your one of your computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

Im sure its not...it disconnects aswell when im just using the laptop on its own...not as often!! Ive used the same laptop on my friends wireless router and theres not a problem there. Im pretty sure its the eircom router..its updated, and somtimes when I try to reconnect it, it says dsl is down!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,111 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did you try a hardware factory reset?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This might be a bit obvious... but have changed the WEP key on the thing? Gaining access to an eircom router these days is less hassle than tieing your shoe laces :p Someone else *could* be sitting on your connection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats recently - it is possible for a line to deteriorate?

How does the router behave when just using ethernet?

Are you using torrents? Torrents seem to put a lot of pressure on the quality of wireless connection with some routers.

Check with netstumbler and see if there are any other wireless networks near you and change the wireless channel if necessary.

I live in the middle of nowhere..nearest possible network is bout 600m away, havent tried a factory reset will look into it thanks. Not downloading much at all as of yet..using bittorrent but havent perfected the port yet so it turns green!! just using it for browsing really!

line stats?

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)2048 256
    SN Margin (dB)8.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)56.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 21182 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement

Your line stats are pretty bad and are probably the cause of your problems. How far are you from your exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

I have seen this issue before when the Netopia router's Connection Type was set to "On Demand". By changing it to "Always On" it fixed the problem.

To verify the connection type, access your router (http://192.168.1.254). Select "Expert Mode" ... "Configure" ... "Connection"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The router eircom send you will renew your IP address if assigned by DHCP every 30 minutes unless you change its configuration (should be under expert setup). Alternatively, assign your machine a static IP address.

Advertisement