Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

FSS - so sorry to hear your sad story. I really hope the doc has it wrong. We would all feel the same in your position. Fingers crossed for you.

Yellowhen - sorry to hear the witch arrived. As for Clomid, personally speaking I don't see the point in holding off. The defeat will be no more devastating than what you have already gone through - devastation is devastation. It could help, and if you go another cycle without it and nothing happens, you will only ask yourself "why didn't we start clomid this cycle?"

For the record, I had a friend in the same position as few years ago - she had the prescription for Clomid but was reluctant to start it. She finally went to the chemist, bought it and waited for her period to come so she could start it.........she waited...........and waited........ it never came and now she has a 3 year old boy!!!! Hope history repeats itself for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm out. :( horrible witch came during the night. I am now in the dilemma as to whether we should start clomid this month or delay it one more. I want to start it as I feel it gives us more chances but if it fails, I feel it will be devestating and that is a defeat which I would rather delay. any thoughts?

I would go with your gut.If you feel you have been doing all you can ie Bding the right times over the last 3 months since op then maybe it's time for the next step.Like the other poster said I guess that if the outcome was negative next month either on clomid or not would it be any different?I think you told me you had your surgary in dec??Maybe one more month on your own could be a good idea.My doc said although keyhole, lap is major surgary.He was very suprised how fast I recovered and how pain free I was in a few days,although did say he prides himself on doing gentle surgary:),Anyway my point, your body may only now be fully healed and receptive to a pregancy after surgary so one more cycle could do the trick.Fingers crossed.

I think you warned me about af being heavy 1st cycle after lap and your right,awful and heavy...Not like me,I hope it doesnt continue like this-actually I hope I never see the witch again for a long time....Also re ovulation pain.I felt it in both ovarys this month although left one only pin pricks and right which was operated on had that feeling like it was going to burst!!At post op doc could see on ultrasound I had ovulated on left side,very cool to see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I feel a bit silly that I got so carried away, I just presumed that once the Clear blue said I was pregnant then that was that but it there is so much more involved. Lesson learnt for me anyway.

You aren't being silly. As you aren't on any fertility drugs the only way you would have had HCG in your system was by conceiving. It's just that in recent years it's become known, thanks to more sensitive tests, that on average couples conceive at a higher rate than previously assumed but that only somewhere between 25-35% of conceptions implant successfully. Your odds of getting and staying pregnant are exactly the same but nowadays if we test early we know what we would have assumed was a late, heavy period is actually a chemical pregnancy.

I don't know exactly how you are feeling but you definitely weren't silly for getting your hopes up and if this pregnancy turns out to be chemical it's not silly or wrong of you to feel sad or to grieve if that's what you need to do. It's also not wrong to not let it get you down if you can do that, though personally I know I'd have been flattened for a little while by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Decided to start clomid tomorrow. The scan should be on day10 but as that is a saturday, they are going to scan me at day8. There's a high instance of twins/triplets in both of my parents families already so the consultant said it was no harm to monitor me early. Roll on the several bambinos :D:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Decided to start clomid tomorrow. The scan should be on day10 but as that is a saturday, they are going to scan me at day8. There's a high instance of twins/triplets in both of my parents families already so the consultant said it was no harm to monitor me early. Roll on the several bambinos :D:D

Great stuff! It would be great to have a multiple pregnancy, make up for lost time as it were ;).

I'm a fan of Clomid, for obvious reasons - hoping it does the trick for you too!!!

• Advertisement

;)
    Neyite wrote: »
    Great stuff! It would be great to have a multiple pregnancy, make up for lost time as it were ;).

I'm a fan of Clomid, for obvious reasons - hoping it does the trick for you too!!!

I'm laying all my hopes at your door neyite!;) No really, I'm quite positive about it all. I'll try anything once shur :p Might also try accupuncture this month to chill me out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

that's great yellow hen.Best of luck to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Was it a urine sample? Doctors tests are a lot less sensitive than over the counter ones so may not pick up early hcg levels. It was over a week after I got my positive that my doctor was able to confirm the pregnancy on one of her tests.

If you're not bleeding and cramping, and unless you have had two blood hcg tests which have shown decreasing levels, then don't give up hope.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all is well :)

Thanks CCL. It was a urine sample. Had some more spotting yesterday and today so just waiting for the full flow to arrive now. So does my cycle start again from the beginning of this or is this even a period I am having I wonder?

Contemplating getting some ovulation sticks now as feel I've lost control of my cycle.

Thanks so much again all for the support.

Watching don't tell the bride and having a giggle so thats a good sign!

I'm rooting for you!! :)

I'm rooting for you!! :)
    Thanks pet. Good to hear you're feeling ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Glad to hear you're feeling well fss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Just did a test this morning - BFN :(

AF is due Sun / Mon - hoping she stays away! Have already decided I'm not drinking on Paddys day just in case. Have my excuses made up :D But I am not feeling luck this month

Dying to hear how you get on YellowHen - keep us posted x

stickybean wrote: »

AF is due Sun / Mon - hoping she stays away! Have already decided I'm not drinking on Paddys day just in case. Have my excuses made up :D But I am not feeling luck this month

No I'm out. AF arrived with force. Starting clomid tonight tho so please god next month!

stickybean wrote: »

Keeping fingers crossed for you! Hopefully your sober paddys day will be well worth it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Finally ovulated, cd 26, I'm sure at that stage the egg is an over ripe dud, but we still did the deed anyway :)

On the IVF countdown. I'm only doing one more natural cycle

DFT hope things work out well for you.

Hope all are having a lovely weekend, I celebrated Paddys Day in true cliche style, in Temple Bar with a big green hat on!! I'm hoping its the last time I can do that ;)

I'm ready to get back in the game, bring it on!!

thanks FSS.

did you get your period yet after the chemical pregnancy? ((hugs))

I am studying all weekend for an exam I have next Saturday. Bored to death!!

Good to hear you're back in the game FSS! DFT, I studied part-time for years so can totally sympathise with you on the studyfront!!!

I'm 3 days into my 5day clomid stint. I've been taking it at night so havent felt any side effects at all. I think you're meant to be scanned around day 10-12 but as these days fall on a weekend for me, I'm being scanned on day 8. There is a fairly high instance of twins/triplets in my family so they said it would be no harm to scan me earlier. Feeling good at the mo, positive about everything.

How is everyone else?

thanks FSS.

did you get your period yet after the chemical pregnancy? ((hugs))

I am studying all weekend for an exam I have next Saturday. Bored to death!!

I did yes, just finished it, it was not as bad as I expected, just lil bit heavier than usual.

I feel your pain with the studying, I did ACCA exams past few years, nothing worse than having to study on a bank hol, uck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

AF came on Saturday, sometimes I am so sick of being a woman - I had 2 days of cramps and pains - at least when I was on the pill I only had a couple of hours if it. - rant over :)

Looking forward to this month - feeling lucky

**** baby dust all round ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 HanoriaC

feeling like i'm getting positive again from reading all the posts. had 3 IUI's. 1 IVF and just had miscarriage 2 weeks ago with first pregnancy at 9 weeks. So i need some positivism and just wondering has anyone had miscarriage and then IVF and if so how long to wait. right now the last thing i want is to start another round of injections and scans etc but i know down the road i will want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

HanoriaC wrote: »
    feeling like i'm getting positive again from reading all the posts. had 3 IUI's. 1 IVF and just had miscarriage 2 weeks ago with first pregnancy at 9 weeks. So i need some positivism and just wondering has anyone had miscarriage and then IVF and if so how long to wait. right now the last thing i want is to start another round of injections and scans etc but i know down the road i will want to go back.

Gosh, you've been through a very hard time. Sorry to hear your story. Give yourself time to grieve - don't rush into another cycle of IVF. It's so draining and you need to be in the whole of your health - mentally and emotionally as well as physically. The positive thing is that you got pregnant - now, give yourself the best chance to allow that to happen again and for your little beanie to hang on.

I'm on CD28, due my period tomorrow. Feeling a bit of boob tenderness, but not much, and I had a pain in my right side over the weekend. I also had some mucus today! :confused:
    Anyway, because of the drugs I won't know anything for sure until next weekend. The drugs could give me a false positive before then, but anyway I'll probably get a period from hell tomorrow or the next day and that will answer all my questions. And so the waiting goes on............

Oh sorry she arrived stickybean :(

Welcome HonariaC, to echo bubbaloo you really have been through the mill, I can't imagine.. Hopefully this thread can offer you some support and you will have your happy ending soon.

Bubbaloo fingers and legs crossed for you big time!!

Just a question myself girls. What really are your chances of conceiving after ovulation? I was paying no attention to much of anything this month (bliss.....I feel great) except I was temping as usual. I looked at my chart there and see I had a temp dip on cd16 and a massive spike on CD17 which puts ovu at CD16. We only bd on days 17 and 18......a long shot i know but thought I would ask ye as I am not googling this month! Although I vaguely remember reading on some website you increase your chances of havin a girl if conceived after ovu.......wishful thinking me thinks!!!!

Edit to add: although I have just copped given isn't it the sperm that decides the gender bd before or after wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Ah the useless trivia keeps me entertained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

So i had my appointment again today at the Rotunda and left feeling slightly more positive!

our next stage is to repeat clomid 100mg again for this cycle and the next. have bloods done on day 21 on both cycles and to also take Glucophage (metformin) three times a day for the next two months.

He wants to see me back in 9 weeks - (still to reduce my BMI even more) and if still unsucessfull im to move on to the injections to try and get me ovulating! He reckons i will def respond to the injections but who knows.

so i have 8 weeks to whip my butt into gear and loose 21lbs!

Nicky987 I'd be amazed if the metformin doesn't help your weight loss, it is very severe on the stomach.....certainly helped me trim up so two birds with one stone ;)

Best of luck sounds v positive!

HanoriaC wrote: »

sorry to hear your news, but you are in good company here. I had 2 m/cs and have had 14 medicated cycles out of 27 cycles ttc, and I'm still (semi) positive ;)

Re going again, it depends on (a) whether you got a d&c to assist with the m/c. If you did I would wait at least one cycle before going back to IVF as your uterine lining will be very thin (they over scrape it to ensure all products are removed, so it takes a long time to build back up than in a natural cycle) (b) your mental state - i.e. are you ready to go again.

Tell me, did you get any frozen embies from the first IVF that you can do an FET (Frozen Egg Transfer) with, as opposed to starting the whole IVF process over again, as I think it will be a bit simpler (and less taxing on the body) if you did, as no egg extraction is required.
    Digs wrote: »

Just a question myself girls. What really are your chances of conceiving after ovulation? I was paying no attention to much of anything this month (bliss.....I feel great) except I was temping as usual. I looked at my chart there and see I had a temp dip on cd16 and a massive spike on CD17 which puts ovu at CD16. We only bd on days 17 and 18......a long shot i know but thought I would ask ye as I am not googling this month! Although I vaguely remember reading on some website you increase your chances of havin a girl if conceived after ovu.......wishful thinking me thinks!!!!

It's unlikely unfortunately. You can't conceive after ovulation, the window is quite small, about 24 hours, so you can only conceive within that day. The egg degrades rapidly.
    Although, if you released two eggs one could have come later! Stranger things have happened.
    Have you confirmed ovulation (by 3 sustained high temps after the initial temp spike) or are you going by other things, OPKs, ovulation pain? Maybe the 16th wasn't the day, maybe it was 17th... just a thought. :)

Thanks DFT, to be honest I think that's what I wanted to hear :) I can now go back to being blissfully ignorant and not spend the next two weeks obsessing! I sustained the high temp for 3 days alright, temps still high, considerably higher than previous actually, something which was bugging me as my bbt was extremely low so I'm happy to see the higher temps,! Also I think ovu is generally about cd17 for me this is the first month its completely obvious on the chart.....typical the month I wasn't paying attention!!

Hope you're keeping well too and aren't bored to distraction with study!

God, I'm trying to study now, it's the pits.

High temps are a great sign, it means high progesterone. Hope you get a positive! You never know with these things! :D

A nice thought alright :)

My big fat gypsy wedding on at 9pm that's as good a reason as any for a break!! That's what I tell myself anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Hi girls,
    Hope you don't mind me joining in with you gals...? We have just started our first (and hopefully only) ICSI on Saturday. I am on cd4 today and started taking Puregon 200iu yesterday eve. Will start Cetrotide 250mcgs on thursday along with the puregon. I've never used the Cetrotide before... has anyone any experience with it at all? What if any side effects have you maybe had with it? Have got a scan again on Sat morning some time so have the day off work... long way down to Galway.. (we're going to Galway Fertility Unit) but of course it will all be worth it in the end :)
    We have done 7 iui's so far, got pregnant on the 3rd but lost at 10 weeks :( that was really tough. We are however very lucky to have a son who is 6... he was conceived naturally after a year of trying... Miracle baby I think now!!
    Anyway, ladies, looking forward to sharing stories and experiences with you all... I just love the support that you can get from other women who know exactly what you are going through.. Sticky dust and baby dust to you all... xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement