Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭muinteoir09

Hi all,

My hubby and I have decided to have a go at making a baby. I'm just looking up different kits to track my cycle. Has anyone used the Babystart FertilFocus microscope? If so, is it any good? Or am I better off with the sticks?
    And do I need the basal thermometer as well?

I'm going back to college in Sept for a year and don't want to get pregnant too soon as it will interfere with final exams. Am I mad to be even trying at all? Or just go for it and work around it?

Should I wait until after September to start trying, or go now, as it will probably take a while? I'm scared I'll get pregnant too quickly and not be able to finish my qualification, but also scared it will take ages.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Hi all,

My hubby and I have decided to have a go at making a baby. I'm just looking up different kits to track my cycle. Has anyone used the Babystart FertilFocus microscope? If so, is it any good? Or am I better off with the sticks?
    And do I need the basal thermometer as well?

I'm going back to college in Sept for a year and don't want to get pregnant too soon as it will interfere with final exams. Am I mad to be even trying at all? Or just go for it and work around it?

Should I wait until after September to start trying, or go now, as it will probably take a while? I'm scared I'll get pregnant too quickly and not be able to finish my qualification, but also scared it will take ages.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks.

I got a pack of 40 ovulation sticks from ebay for not even a tenner (some of them come with a free basal thermometer but I didn't bother) and they worked perfect, you can get packs of 100 if you want - tested my LH surge against an expensive test the first month and they both gave the same reading.

I don't know about the microscope but the sticks were handy to use and gave a clear indication for me as to when I ovulated. Keep a chart - there's loads of internet ones and phone apps - I use period tracker.

I can't advise on if you should get pregnant or not TBH but if you feel yourself that it's the right time, then go for it - everything can be worked around. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm not sure if I posted on this particular thread before, if I did it was a long time ago!
    I'm 35 & I've been TFAB now since June 2009, and after many tests etc, I'm still not pregnant! its very frustrating, and I am not sure what I need to do next. The clinic I attended don't know why I am not getting pregnant as nothing showed up in tests. I have a very normal cycle, never heavy, no pcos, nothing. Its basically unexplained! I tried clomid, with no avail. I haven't been back to the clinic since February, and it was basically left in my hands to decide what I want to do next. The consultant has said that IVF is probably next, but we just cannot afford it, and will have to save hard to even have one go...which may take ages to save!

Today I was 3 days LATE! AF was due Tuesday (day 28), and late this afternoon I began to get cramps and some spotting, so looks as though she's here! Very frustrated as I really thought this could be it! I was giving it a few days before testing as I have been 2 days late before, so wanted to see if it didn't arrive by tomorrow, then I'd get a test...but that's gone now!
    I'm drained from it all!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I posted on this particular thread before, if I did it was a long time ago!
    I'm 35 & I've been TFAB now since June 2009, and after many tests etc, I'm still not pregnant! its very frustrating, and I am not sure what I need to do next. The clinic I attended don't know why I am not getting pregnant as nothing showed up in tests. I have a very normal cycle, never heavy, no pcos, nothing. Its basically unexplained! I tried clomid, with no avail. I haven't been back to the clinic since February, and it was basically left in my hands to decide what I want to do next. The consultant has said that IVF is probably next, but we just cannot afford it, and will have to save hard to even have one go...which may take ages to save!

Today I was 3 days LATE! AF was due Tuesday (day 28), and late this afternoon I began to get cramps and some spotting, so looks as though she's here! Very frustrated as I really thought this could be it! I was giving it a few days before testing as I have been 2 days late before, so wanted to see if it didn't arrive by tomorrow, then I'd get a test...but that's gone now!
    I'm drained from it all!

I'm sorry to hear your unsuccessful, we were unexplained too, however clomid did the job for us. Our clinic had the following treatments progression:
    Ovulation Induction + Timed intercourse (Clomid+Pregnyl) 3 cycles,
    then onto
    Ovulation Induction + Inter Uterine Insemination (Clomid+Ovitrelle) and after that they would look at IVF.

So I guess I'm wondering if you were offered IUI - it was about €600 per cycle in our clinic, and much cheaper than IVF. Worth looking into?

Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear your unsuccessful, we were unexplained too, however clomid did the job for us. Our clinic had the following treatments progression:
    Ovulation Induction + Timed intercourse (Clomid+Pregnyl) 3 cycles,
    then onto
    Ovulation Induction + Inter Uterine Insemination (Clomid+Ovitrelle) and after that they would look at IVF.

So I guess I'm wondering if you were offered IUI - it was about €600 per cycle in our clinic, and much cheaper than IVF. Worth looking into?

Best of luck

Hi!
    I did do Ovulation Induction + Timed intercourse (Clomid+Pregnyl), but the clomid didn't do the job and gave me really bad side affects. Then she tried me on Tomoxifen, but that didn't work at all! She doesn't want to put me on clomid again, so she's not really keen on IUI. She has suggested injections and then look at ivf, but I just don't know. Money has got a lot tighter since Feb, so haven't many options at the moment.
    I did do acupuncture for a couple of months, but haven't been since late May, mainly due to having to cut back a bit. Not really a good idea to even be trying for a baby when money is tight! But I'm already freaking out at being 35 and still no baby, so we'll manage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I was unexplained for 3 years, unexplained in fertility and then unexplained miscarriages x 3. Then I went to Napro, they listened, they tested and now I know what is wrong. I wish i'd gone to them initially I could have saved some of my fertility. I have asymptomatic endomytrios (sorry can never spell) discovered with a laparatomy and it has destroyed both tubes meaning if is our only option. Were I you now they would be my next stop at least as I said they listen. In fact the doc told me on our first meeting he suspected endo just from my non standard endo symptoms. It took 3 months but now finally after 3 years I know where I am and why.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ciarrai76, dont let the age factor get you down. I was 36 when I got pregnant and 37 having the baby, and I hope to start trying in a few months for the next one!

Napro might be worth a look. If not, then do look more into the injectibles as an alternative to clomid. Barbiegirls idea is a good one - I'd check out Napro before signing up for IVF. I believe that the fertiltiy tests are quite basic and only detect the more obvious reasons for infertilty. In my case, I was ovulating so I should have been getting pregnant and couldnt see why clomid would work, but I decided to give it a try before moving onto the more expensive treatments. Its strange that I was given a drug to do something my body was already doing and somehow it worked. So look into Napro, you have time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

But I'm already freaking out at being 35 and still no baby, so we'll manage!

Ciarrai my sister in law called up during the week to tell us she's pregnant, she turned 40 at the begining of the year & will be 41 when babs is born! Once you are fit & healthy there is no reason why you couldn't have many more years left to conceive.

Best of luck xx

I had quite a lot of tests done, including a lap & dye, which didn't show anything up. I don't have endo or pcos, nothing! My only test that showed anything was the AMH test, which shows my egg reserve is on the lower scale, but the consultant wasn't overly concerned. I'm not so happy about it, but don't really understand enough about it either!

Have to discuss with hubby what we should do next as money is a bit tight at the moment, so going for more private tests may not be an option for now.
    Trying to do the healthy stuff at the mo, exercising more, drinking more water etc, try to see if we can do this naturally!!

Where is Napro? not heard of it. Do you have to get a referral from your gp or can you just make a direct appointment?

You can refer yourself. They are in Galway and Dublim. Money wise it is a lot cheaper than any other option. I also had all those tests and nothing showed. Napro talked about general health, tiredness, mood, emotions as well as physical.
    There is a thread here on it if you search below which gives all details of how it works. I'm sticking to the regime as it can only help with ivf lots of vits minerals and stuff, and i do mean lots :-)

• Advertisement

just reading a few things and a thought occurred to me. My mom has said a few times that I may have endometriosis. My sister has it, as so my aunt & her daughter.
    I keep saying I don't have it, that it didn't show up in either my laparoscopy or pelvic ultrasound and that I have never had heavy periods, only a little pain, which I get just as period starts and more often than not I don't even need painkillers, and pain doesn't last that long. My period only lasts about 3 days, with first two days being the heaviest, but never bad.
    But is it possible that it could have been missed? that I might have it, although not severe, hence no major pain.
    Now I'm a bit worried!!

A laparoscopy would have seen it definitely with the cameras etc. But there are so many reasons for in fertility. One of the main things he said to me was my short periods and black/brown blood at the end was an issue. But that is me, not you. I was never happy with unexplained so Napro did it for me as now it's explained. I wouldn't give up and Napro I think had we got to the end would have in total cost us about €1000-€1200 over 4-5 months. Now we've to find €5k for ivf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Well...im back :D

My Little girl is 5 months now and we've decided to try again... we may well be mad but it just feels so right!

It wook us almost a year and a half last time and had a miscarraige and then with my daughters pregnancy we lost one twin :(

We are just going to try to have a very laid back approach for now. I still havent had a period since being pregnant so no idea if im even ovulating or not.... i stopped breast feeding after 3 months and had kind of hoped my period would have come back by now so that i know where i stand but i suppose nature will do its own thing!

I still have milk in my boobs.... so my hormones clearly still not back to non pregnancy state.

This may well lead to ttc'ing taking time for us again - so thats why we eager to start.....

anyway - thats my story - some of you i know - some of you i dont but i've been reading all of your stories and keeping positive for you all while i've been away. Fingers crossed there'll be some more good news on this thread soon.

Barbie - any idea when IVF starting? what stage are you at at the moment? Really hope its successful for you soon and you get your much anticipated and deserved baby ASAP.

I was thinking they would have found something doing the lap & dye, but my mother keeps putting doubt in my head!! My sister is also a coeliac, and she has said that there is a link between this and infertility. She has a child which she had when she was only 22, and didn't get diagnosed with endo or coeliac disease until years later. I did get diagnosed with IBS about 7 years ago, but that doesn't give me as much trouble now as it used to. I know my mom has issues with her digestion too, so it could be linked somehow. I haven't really looked into it enough, so not sure whether it could be an issue.

We will have to decide on whether we can afford more tests, and if we can travel up & down to Galway from Kerry etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Does a lap and dye just focus on the areas where the dye is or do they also check the outside of the reproductive system? My endo was found on the outside of my ovary so if I'd had a lap and dye, the dye would have flowed through my tubes perfectly, so the doctor may have overlooked the spots on my ovary. I've also found that a lot of doctors tend to think that the endo is only a problem if it's blocking the tubes, which can also result in small spots being ignored.

Do you know as a 100% certainty that there was no way any endo spots could have been overlooked outside of the tubes and uterus? If not could you check with your surgeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

just reading a few things and a thought occurred to me. My mom has said a few times that I may have endometriosis. My sister has it, as so my aunt & her daughter.
    I keep saying I don't have it, that it didn't show up in either my laparoscopy or pelvic ultrasound and that I have never had heavy periods, only a little pain, which I get just as period starts and more often than not I don't even need painkillers, and pain doesn't last that long. My period only lasts about 3 days, with first two days being the heaviest, but never bad.
    But is it possible that it could have been missed? that I might have it, although not severe, hence no major pain.
    Now I'm a bit worried!!

Hi ciarrai, things sound like they have been quite hard for you. We were trying for some time with no success and eventually I was referred to a fertility expert who did an internal ultrasound and he spotted some sort of mass. An MRI found that the mass was two large cysts and some endo. I had a biovarian lap last decenber to remove everything and finally this month we hit the jackpot. I'm not sure if that's any help but only the MRI seemed to be able to find the cysts and endo. Good luck with whatever happens for you. X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

iguana wrote: »
    Does a lap and dye just focus on the areas where the dye is or do they also check the outside of the reproductive system? My endo was found on the outside of my ovary so if I'd had a lap and dye, the dye would have flowed through my tubes perfectly, so the doctor may have overlooked the spots on my ovary. I've also found that a lot of doctors tend to think that the endo is only a problem if it's blocking the tubes, which can also result in small spots being ignored.

Do you know as a 100% certainty that there was no way any endo spots could have been overlooked outside of the tubes and uterus? If not could you check with your surgeon?
    Sorry iguana, I didn't see your post before I replied. That is exactly what happened me. The dye is only to test your tubes. I don't think they usually get a camera in there for a major look around.

I did tell them that my sister, aunt & cousin have endo, and she did say she was going to check for it, and said nothing showed up.
    To be honest, we haven't been 100% happy with the particular clinic (in Tralee) and never felt we were being listened to. It resulted in me breaking down in tears on my last consultation when I was being told that unless I want to try injections, then IVF is probably the next option. I am not willing to go down that route yet, we can't afford it, nor do I want to go through that stress, I'm stressed enough with the whole thing as it is!

My mom & sister think that my stress isn't helping and keep telling me I need to just let this happen when its my time. I on the other hand have NO patience and am totally fed up, especially of being told not to get stressed!!! I was finding acupuncture was helping with my stress and if anything calming me down, but now that money has got a bit tight, I've had to put acupuncture on hold for a while.
    I never thought this would take so long, you just take your fertility for granted and when it comes down to starting a family, I never for a second thought about any problems! Then there's finding out that everyone you know seems to be having babies and it makes me feel like I'm on my own...thank God for boards like this!!

being told not to stress and that its not happening because your stressing about it is what ppl who have never had problems ttc'ing say.... its sooooo impossible not to stress about it!!:rolleyes:

I had my surgery done in Tallaght hospital and I have to say it was a great experience (insofar as surgery can be great). They were investigating me for pain in the area of my right ovary rather than specifically for fertility issues. They seemed really thorough and they removed the endo spots they found during the same surgery. While my issue was pain rather that fertility, I had been trying for over a year with no luck and I had miscarried previous to that year but the month after the surgery I got pregnant. The spots on the ovary don't cause a physical blockage but they do tend to alter the hormonal balance and can cause severe subfertility and/or recurrent early miscarriage.

I have obviously no idea if that could be what your problem is but if you don't feel confident about the previous diagnosis it would probably be a good idea to seek a second opinion. Is there any way you can get a referral to the gynaecology department at one of the bigger hospitals near you? Maybe in Limerick or Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Hi ,, I was just wondering how do you get tested for fertility? I had a miscarriage in march'11 and had no luck in conceiving since.. thank you xx best of luck to all x

The first step is to see your GP and they will arrange day 3 and day 21 blood tests to check the levels of hormones in your blood on those days which can help to indicate whether or not you are ovulating. If you are ovulating then the next step is to do a pelvic ultrasound to check for any physical reason that may be preventing pregnancy. Not really sure after that - think they check your tubes etc but others may be able to tell you more. But definitely first step is to GP!

I did tell them that my sister, aunt & cousin have endo, and she did say she was going to check for it, and said nothing showed up.
    To be honest, we haven't been 100% happy with the particular clinic (in Tralee) and never felt we were being listened to. It resulted in me breaking down in tears on my last consultation when I was being told that unless I want to try injections, then IVF is probably the next option. I am not willing to go down that route yet, we can't afford it, nor do I want to go through that stress, I'm stressed enough with the whole thing as it is!

My mom & sister think that my stress isn't helping and keep telling me I need to just let this happen when its my time. I on the other hand have NO patience and am totally fed up, especially of being told not to get stressed!!! I was finding acupuncture was helping with my stress and if anything calming me down, but now that money has got a bit tight, I've had to put acupuncture on hold for a while.
    I never thought this would take so long, you just take your fertility for granted and when it comes down to starting a family, I never for a second thought about any problems! Then there's finding out that everyone you know seems to be having babies and it makes me feel like I'm on my own...thank God for boards like this!!

The doc explained how endo interferes, it basically alters the dna stamp of the egg so that t makes it harder for the sperm to infiltrate, harder to implant and if it does implant it's not neutral, it has endo markers, so your anti bodies kill it. So the tubes not being blocked doesn't mean it isn't interfering.
    Can you clarify had you just the dye test, or an operation where they put a camera in through yor belly button and seek and fix any problems they see outside as well as inside the womb?
    I get your pain, all of us on here do. Not being listened to is probably the worst thing. The way napro works is you meet the doc for 1st meeting, then a local to you nurse every 2 weeks and after all the tests the doc again and a treatment regime agreed. So not too many journies up to Galway and honestly the difference in being listened to was huge, even though they can't help me I appreciate all they did for me.
    As for the stress, this is a medical issue, requiring medical intervention. No amount if relaxing changes that. People wouldn't tell you to relax if you had heart disease or diabetes. People telling me to relax stresses me more.

Dublinlady welcome back :-) Not sure on ivf yet waiting on appointment spoke to nurse could be 7-8 weeks will be trying to hurry that up. The impatience at this stage has gone beyond a joke. Another Santa Clausless Christmas for us, but hopefully we'll have a bun in the oven this year.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    The doc explained how endo interferes, it basically alters the dna stamp of the egg so that t makes it harder for the sperm to infiltrate, harder to implant and if it does implant it's not neutral, it has endo markers, so your anti bodies kill it. So the tubes not being blocked doesn't mean it isn't interfering.
    Can you clarify had you just the dye test, or an operation where they put a camera in through yor belly button and seek and fix any problems they see outside as well as inside the womb?
    I get your pain, all of us on here do. Not being listened to is probably the worst thing. The way napro works is you meet the doc for 1st meeting, then a local to you nurse every 2 weeks and after all the tests the doc again and a treatment regime agreed. So not too many journies up to Galway and honestly the difference in being listened to was huge, even though they can't help me I appreciate all they did for me.
    As for the stress, this is a medical issue, requiring medical intervention. No amount if relaxing changes that. People wouldn't tell you to relax if you had heart disease or diabetes. People telling me to relax stresses me more.

Dublinlady welcome back :-) Not sure on ivf yet waiting on appointment spoke to nurse could be 7-8 weeks will be trying to hurry that up. The impatience at this stage has gone beyond a joke. Another Santa Clausless Christmas for us, but hopefully we'll have a bun in the oven this year.

yeah I had the camera in the belly button, I've a scar there and another just above the pubic area. I was in a lot of pain after the lap, and was kept in that night just in case. It must have taken me 2 weeks to recover, tiredness was probably the worst part! My husband even commented on how drained I looked after it, he said it took a good week before the colour was back in my cheeks! I had no idea it would take so much out of me! But yeah, nothing was found to be abnormal. My husband's sperm tests were normal (he had 2 separate ones done, both fine). I remember when I first went to my GP he said that my progesterone levels were a bit low, but the clinic said they seemed fine on my last day 21 test, so they must have improved.
    I forgot to mention that one thing I've noticed is that I have a lack of EWCM during my fertile window. I have tried to improve it by drinking more water and taking more eve primrose, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I did tell the clinic this, but I don't think she seemed too concerned! So I don't know if I need to be!

A big, big part of the Napro diagnosis is tracking your cervical mucus. You do it every day for months and there is a chart with stickers and series of codes to describe what way it is each day. After several months it can be used as a diagnostic indicator for a number of conditions.

I've rooted out the thread on Napro that I started earlier this year. If you haven't read it yet it might be worth a read.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549964

yeah I had the camera in the belly button, I've a scar there and another just above the pubic area. I was in a lot of pain after the lap, and was kept in that night just in case. It must have taken me 2 weeks to recover, tiredness was probably the worst part! My husband even commented on how drained I looked after it, he said it took a good week before the colour was back in my cheeks! I had no idea it would take so much out of me! But yeah, nothing was found to be abnormal. My husband's sperm tests were normal (he had 2 separate ones done, both fine). I remember when I first went to my GP he said that my progesterone levels were a bit low, but the clinic said they seemed fine on my last day 21 test, so they must have improved.
    I forgot to mention that one thing I've noticed is that I have a lack of EWCM during my fertile window. I have tried to improve it by drinking more water and taking more eve primrose, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I did tell the clinic this, but I don't think she seemed too concerned! So I don't know if I need to be!

Taking carbocisteine twice or 3 times a day for 5 days before ovulation can really help with EWCM - it's found in 3 cough bottles over the counter in pharmacies - benylin mucus relief, exputex and viscolex. The other benylins etc don't contain it and actually contain an old antihistamine which could have the opposite affect!

Have you tried using preseed lubrication? It's expensive but an excellent spwem friendly lubrication that apparently make the journey much easier for the sperm and so increases chances if pregnancy. They say to use one applicator but I only use a small bit as found it too much! It Worked for me last time around anyway!

dublinlady wrote: »
    Taking carbocisteine twice or 3 times a day for 5 days before ovulation can really help with EWCM - it's found in 3 cough bottles over the counter in pharmacies - benylin mucus relief, exputex and viscolex. The other benylins etc don't contain it and actually contain an old antihistamine which could have the opposite affect!

Have you tried using preseed lubrication? It's expensive but an excellent spwem friendly lubrication that apparently make the journey much easier for the sperm and so increases chances if pregnancy. They say to use one applicator but I only use a small bit as found it too much! It Worked for me last time around anyway!

We did use preseed for a few months, but no luck! I have heard about the cough bottles, but never got any...I think I might do that this week actually!! Thanks for the tip :)

dublinlady wrote: »

checked the cupboard and there's half a bottle of exputex in there from when my husband had the flu before xmas, so going to finish that off before I get another bottle! Should I take one spoon 2/3 times a day or more than that?

It's one desertspoon (or 3 teaspoonfuls) which is 15mls! You can take it 3 times - even twice would do tho!! One thing tho - if you've ever had a stomach ulcer it's not recommended - other than that there's no probs!!
    Really worked for me!!!

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for any insight/advise. We found out last month both my tubes were blocked, and the surgeon suggested we go straight for IVF. We had been attending Napro. So we met the nurse, explained the situation, sent her our scans and discharge sheet and though well that's that. On to Hari we go.
    Now Napro have been in touch and say that IVF isn't our only chance, as we've conceived and lost before, the issue is retaining a pregnancy. We always knew we had one blocked tube, had a HSG about 2 1/2 years ago now. But at that stage one tube had great flow.
    So we suspect that the pregnancies were before the 2nd tube was blocked (last pregnancy was 14 months ago now), and now that it is, we need IVF.
    However we also trust Napro. I am actually very confused now. My understanding is 2 blocked tubes equals no pregnancy without IVF. I don't want to get caught between two feuding takes on fertility and their etho's, I'm not a guinea pig or a study. I just want our baby.
    Has anyone here got any insight?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement