Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi all, haven't posted in ages been trying to forget about the whole trying thing really. 10 years married next week so that makes it 9 years trying & nothing to show for it. It must be silly season for cycles at the moment! Mine are normally quite regular, turn up on time & fairly heavy straight away. Got my period yesterday 3 days early & yesterday & today its only really light spotting; hardly think they were there at all if it wasn't for the back pain. I want to get day 3 bloods done again, do you think tomorrow would be day 3? Should I count yestrday as day 1 even thought it was only a bit of spotting?
    Hi Goodne,
    I would usually get spotting before my AF but there would be a noticeable difference when my AF arrives - the blood would be much brighter in colour, the cramps would come and the bleed would be heavier. Is there any difference today? Could you get your day 3 bloods done today and if things change and you get AF "properly" in another few days you could get your bloods done again?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

hi Bubbaloo; slighty more today but only really when I use the loo pads have been pretty much clean all day (sorry tmi). Weird! Maybe they are just going to be really light from now on (wishful thinking)! Going to get my bloods done tomorrow & hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms 2011. thanks for all the support.How are you getting on?

Learning as I go :-)
    J is almost 5 months now & such a placid child, he puts up with alot of my mistakes ♡
    We've 2 teeth & on solids, time's going by too fast!!

My friend who's doing IVF had her eggs removed today, they plan on implanting them back next week. I'm so nervous but excited for her. Success would mean the end of a 6 year journey :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Cycle Day 54 and still have no sign of AF. Tested last Friday and still negative, very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Cycle Day 54 and still have no sign of AF. Tested last Friday and still negative, very frustrating!

Have you had any major stress recently? Or lost / put on weight?

My last cycle was 55 days, I was cracking up!! I did some research and apart from a medical reason they seemed to be the main too. But low and behold day 55 AF arrived

Fingers crossed you get an answer soon xxx

• Advertisement

stickybean wrote: »

Have you had any major stress recently? Or lost / put on weight?

My last cycle was 55 days, I was cracking up!! I did some research and apart from a medical reason they seemed to be the main too. But low and behold day 55 AF arrived

Fingers crossed you get an answer soon xxx
    Nope nothing has changed, as far as I can think, if anything I'm under less stress and eating better than I have in years. I'm flummoxed as to why it'd be so late.
    I'm losing my nut waiting for something to happen!

Thanks for yr advice though, maybe the stress of waiting is causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ballybabe

hi all just had 2nd round of IVF and waiting the 2 weeks to have pregnancy test.seems like time has slowed down completely and i'm going insane. got pregnant first time round but MC at 9 weeks so nerve wrecking even if we do get a positive but have had terrible pains this time and they aren't going away but getting worse.afraid to say anything in case i doom myself. any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JustOneDay

Hi all. Hope this is the correct thread. If not apologies! Has been 45 days since my last period. I normally have a long cycle of around 5 weeks. Have been under some stress as a family member had serious surgery the week I would normally have them, and has he has been in hospital since the last time I actually had them. Have been pretty worried as you can imagine. Have been using condoms correctly ( not been up to much though...) Over the last week I've took 4 tests and all of them have been negative. I used the clearblue with conception indicator and they have all been "not pregnant". Do you think the worry can affect my period this much? Would all the tests be wrong?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

justoneday- the stress would defo make this much of a change in your cycle. what I used to do when that happened to me was a warm bath candles everywhere and when I was done I'd relax with DH and after day or two they normally show. I say you should do what works for you

JustOneDay - it could be stress, have you retested? I had a lot of stress my last cycle and my normal cycle was knocked out by 3 weeks.

whatdoicare - how are you getting on pet? x

• Advertisement

stickybean wrote: »

whatdoicare - how are you getting on pet? x

Heya stickybean, I'm on day 59 now and no sign of anything and no positive tests. I get cramping like AF is on its way and then nothing. Gonna test again the weekend and if still nothing I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and call the doctor.

Thanks for thinking of me, howre you getting on?

Oh do let us know how you get on x

I am in the two week wait, ovulated around day cd18, in theory due AF around the 18th, I have zero symptoms this month, mildly sore boobies but thats it.

Although, after last month 55 day cycle who knows :confused:

Hi ladies. Well I'm on cd14 of my first cycle since our loss in July and I've had absolutely no mucus. I mean none, zero, nada, zilch!! This has never happened to me before. Normally I start having mucus around day 10 and I have loads all the way up to day 15 or 16. Has this ever happened to any of you after a loss? I'm starting to panic now thinking there might be a bigger problem. Oh the joys of this roller coaster!!!

Happy Sunday people! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Well I'm on cd14 of my first cycle since our loss in July and I've had absolutely no mucus. I mean none, zero, nada, zilch!! This has never happened to me before. Normally I start having mucus around day 10 and I have loads all the way up to day 15 or 16. Has this ever happened to any of you after a loss? I'm starting to panic now thinking there might be a bigger problem. Oh the joys of this roller coaster!!!

Happy Sunday people! :-/

Dunno if it's the same but I've had very little CM since having my son My hormones have only just come back to normal in the last 2 weeks, 4.5 months postpartum which is longer than most but all of our bodies take different lengths to recover from pregnancy no matter how long the pregnancy lasts. I had alot of people telling me it wasn't 'nornal' but it turns out it was normal for me & my body so if I were you I wouldn't be too worried :-)

You could try some cough syrup, it increases CM :) has to be an expectorant one.

Well I am out again :(, AF came a bit early (27 days in, possibly this was down to taking Agnus Cactus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Last week was a stressful week, we had a death in the family and I am still feeling worn by it, it also hit me how much I really want a family. That I don't want to come to the end of my days having never had a child and the big 40 is looming closer and closer each day.

As I said we plan to start trying from when we go on holiday next month but in a casual way, try not to get all uptight about it. I have it it my head that we need to try for a number of months so that ti will be lucky as everytime we tried I fell first month and we still have no baba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Last week was a stressful week, we had a death in the family and I am still feeling worn by it, it also hit me how much I really want a family. That I don't want to come to the end of my days having never had a child and the big 40 is looming closer and closer each day.

As I said we plan to start trying from when we go on holiday next month but in a casual way, try not to get all uptight about it. I have it it my head that we need to try for a number of months so that ti will be lucky as everytime we tried I fell first month and we still have no baba.

Sorry to hear you had a death in the family Caroline *hugs*

Hi all, last Friday we had our IVF Review. It was a bit upsetting because before we saw the doctor the counsellor asked to speak with us. I was reluctant but we talked with her anyway. I got upset becasue she was expressing her sympathies and that just tips me over the edge. I didn't cry though but did much lip biting to prevent from doing so. Then she annoyed me a bit as I gave some fedback about (a) how they didn't warn me about the medication [in particular the progesterone) side effects and (b) the fact that we see a different doctor every. single. time. we visit the clinic. I said given the amount of money we have spent there should be more consistency with who we see rather than the 'conveyor belt' approach they seem to adopt. I was pi$$ed off becasue she was defending the clinic, when really I just wanted her to be impartial. Also, she never said 'I accept your feedback and will pass it on'.... how irritating.

We had another 45 minute wait (another poor feature of this clinic), and then we saw a doctor (who, you guessed it, we had never seen before). He was very nice and much more receptive to our questions etc.
    He jumped straight into next steps re IVF. I thought we'd talk a bit about why it didn't work for us. Instead he said that our case was reviewed by the doctors and there was a bit of debate about my case. I was intrigued by this but it didn't turn out to be that interesting. Basically they want us to try putting 2 embies back on Day 3, with assisted hatching. I asked why this approach and he said 'just to try something different given that the one 5 day blastocyst approach didn't work'. I asked why the debate and he said because some of the doctors felt it would be better to do a 5 day t/fer again. I asked him his personal opinion and he wouldn't give it! He side stepped the question and just said the head consultant wants to do Day 3. It was clear this guy felt another Day 5 was best. I just moved on as he seemed only interested in backing the head guys opinion... strange.
    I said I have no problem doing this but maybe not for a few months. I moved on to asking about some recurrent loss testing before we potentially waste another transfer cycle. He made no mention of any testing himself so I broached the subject. He said testing is generally only offered after 5 mc's (5!!!) but if we want to do it we could give blood today.
    I gave 11 vials and himself gave 1. There is a 5/6% that these tests will show a problem, he says that's why they don't routinely offer them, which is fair enough, but I don't think 3 mc's is 'routine' so don't think we fall into that category.
    There's other immune testing I inquired about having done a bit of research, but these tests aren't done in Ireland :rolleyes:

We will be tested for the following:

- Karyotyping (genetic compatibility, both of us had to give blood for this one)
    - Y Deletion
    - CF (Cystic Fibrosis?)
    - Thrombophilia Screen
    - Anti Cardiolipins
    - Anti Phospholipids
    - Homocysteine
    - Lupus Anti coagulant
    - ANA
    - Anti DS DNA

I looked all of these up and I think most relate to clotting disorders. They were very expensive (the karyotyping has to be sent to a lab in London) and I don't think my insurance will cover any fertility so we are out of pocket to the tune of €770, I am glad we got them done though. We get the results are in 6 weeks.
    I said I didn't want to consider any more IVF til we reviews the tests results. By then there will only be one more cycle before Xmas and I'm not sure I want to go through it again at Christmas, especially if it doesn't work again... it's a tough call but maybe it's best to leave it to January...

I have to say I got shivers of dread walking in to the clinic on Friday. I am so sick of this IVF business already and almost want to end our medical intervention journey. *Almost*

Today I had a bit of a down day as my period is due tomorrow - another bust cycle. I also think I am still feeling the effects of the IVF as my PMS (emotional) is very bad today.. :(

Sorry for the long post and if you got this far thanks for reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was surprised to find out I was pregnant with our now 2+ yr old first time i was off contraception, had been TTC for 8 months for #2 and nothing was happening, used up packs of OPK then in feb this year I was 48 days late!! I thought I was preggy, was gaining weight arnd my abs only to have 5 negative tests, went to the GP and she said it was negative and its quite common to miss a period for whatever reason other than pregnancy. I was devastated but she placed me on provera tabs and I got my period in march and in April I was pregnant without OPK so over the moon,I'm now 5 months long. Just keep hoping and best of luck everyone!

Caroline - so sorry you've had a death in the family. It's a very tough time. (((hugs)))

DFT - wow, what a lot to take in. My sister has been through the IVF process several times (1 lucky :) but three failed). She has had similar experiences in relation to seeing different doctors, confusion over which drugs to prescribe for her and pressure to try again immediately - yeah, that's fine but it's not the doctor's €5000 or his emotions that are being messed with!! :rolleyes: I think you're right to take a break for yourself and get the tests done. I know I would be biased to the Napro apprach but I feel that at least they look for the problem and try to fix it. As an outsider I have always felt that IVF clinics are just about getting you pregnant, and not about anything that surrounds that. Christmas would be a very difficult time to go through a cycle - maybe new year, new outlook and approach - and new baby??

As for me, I spoke to my Napro doc yesterday evening and MS2011 - it looks as though you were on to something there. It can be normal enough to have no mucus after a pregnancy/miscarraige. Things will settle in a month or so. We were suppose to do the deed last night but I'm just not ready for all that pressure. DH and I agreed to hold off for a month until my head is in a better place. I feel like a weight was lifted in just agreeing that. My hubby is the best! :p

• Advertisement

Thanks Bub. You're so right about them just wanting to get people pregnant. I'm too far invested in Rotunda to move at this stage but I wouldn't rule out Napro and like that they look at root cause. Rotunda have done that also (I've had lots of testing and also had a Lap that resolved some issues), but it's like once you move to ivf stage the root cause analysis becomes a second priority. I don't like Napro's ethics though about having to me married to qualify for their treatment; I believe the days for such arbitrary rules are over in this country. I am actually married, but I still take offence to that rule...
    Great news about the mucous!

Ugh my period arrived today, I had the worst pms for that last few days, crying all the time.... Double ugh.....

Hugs to us all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Huge hugs to you DFT and Caroline :( xxxxxxx

I had a little mini meltdown yesterday. I was in tkmaxx with my lovely other and we found a penguin costume for a baby. I am OBSESSED with penguins. They are in every room of my house....turned to himself in the middle of the shop and said ''Is it too much to ask for us to have a baby of our own to dress up as a penguin'':o:o:o

I was a miserable sh1t for the rest of the day:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paubs

Hi... I'm a newbie to IUI. I'm looking for some advice...

I've been injecting gonal F since Day 2. Went for US Day 9 and I had 3 follicles....one measured 10mm and two measured 5mm (very small!). anyhow they increased the gonal F dosage since then and i'm back tomorrow (Day 16) to see if they have grown anymore and whether we can go for IUI this month....

the Clinic closes over the weekend, so if they do the IUI on Monday that's Day 20 and my question is this...is that too late??? my cycle is normally 28 days.

thanks

Paubs

paubs wrote: »
    Hi... I'm a newbie to IUI. I'm looking for some advice...

I've been injecting gonal F since Day 2. Went for US Day 9 and I had 3 follicles....one measured 10mm and two measured 5mm (very small!). anyhow they increased the gonal F dosage since then and i'm back tomorrow (Day 16) to see if they have grown anymore and whether we can go for IUI this month....

the Clinic closes over the weekend, so if they do the IUI on Monday that's Day 20 and my question is this...is that too late??? my cycle is normally 28 days.

thanks

Paubs
    Hi Paubs and welcome!
    It's my understanding that on stims your follie growth is about 1 - 1.5 mm per day so your 10mm may be ready for trigger tomorrow for iui on fri. Remember they only want one good follie for iui, max two. Over that they may cancel the cycle due to the risks around high order multiples.
    If you continue to respond slowly then I would imagine you'd go into next week. I understand also that whilst clinics generally don't open at weekends they will do iui's and ivf's as timing issues always come into play.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Huge hugs to you DFT and Caroline :( xxxxxxx

I had a little mini meltdown yesterday. I was in tkmaxx with my lovely other and we found a penguin costume for a baby. I am OBSESSED with penguins. They are in every room of my house....turned to himself in the middle of the shop and said ''Is it too much to ask for us to have a baby of our own to dress up as a penguin'':o:o:o

I was a miserable sh1t for the rest of the day:o

Aawwww, (((hugsies)))
    This is gonna sound weird but I think you should have bought it hon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Aawwww, (((hugsies)))
    This is gonna sound weird but I think you should have bought it hon xx

You know, I think I should have too. I might go back and get it tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

havent been on in ages have been reading while trying not to obsess. myself and other half got married so since then we have been to doc who is now more actively pushing the boat out to find the cause of our issues by sending himself to be tested and me for yet more bloods and ultrasound. Wanted to say sorry to all who suffered loses and congrats to all those who got the positives they were looking for.
    lucyfur id get the little penguin outfit the only reason i say that is while on honeymoon i had to buy a little outfit strange as it was but i look at it more as we will have it when our bundle decides it wants to arrive. unlike some here we havent suffered any loses and i cant begin to imagine how hard it is but my thinking is the outfit will give you the hope/belief that you will have something in it someday thats what mine is doing even though its hidden in the wardrobe never to be seen by anyone other than me and my oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hey,
    I had a miscarriage over a week ago at 7 weeks(1st pregnancy) and my head has been all over the place since. One minute I want to get straight back to ttc and the next minute the thought of another loss scares me senseless. The hospital said wait until I have my next period before trying again but my gp said that we don't have to wait, that they only say that to make it easier to date a pregnancy. I don't know which one of them to listen to. My husband thinks we just have to decide to try again and hey presto it'll happen. Think I'm going to have to borrow some of his optimism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

So sorry to hear that Rosey :( Your story sounds similar to mine, I had a MC in December and was left utter devastated. The doctors told me to wait 3 months for dating reasons but as far as I know you can try again once you're ready.

Everyone is different, but I'd really recommend giving yourself time to grieve and allowing your body time to build up and recover. I can't give you any words of advise really except let yourself be upset, take some time off work if needs be. I booked a holiday just for something to look forward to.

It was such a sad time and I was so scared of it all happening again. Buuuut I'm now almost 17 weeks pregnant and everything is going great. It took a couple of months and I'm so lucky to be at this stage.

Take time if you need it before trying again but don't give up x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 paubs

They didn't grow at all!! Same size as last week..

so back to the drawing board, they're going to up the Gonal F to 150 a day for my next cycle. fingers crossed..

just want to send lots of good wishes and optimistic vibes out to all you wonderful ladies aiming for that BFP. I am so inspired by your strength on your own IVF & IUI journeys.

Paubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement