Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks Adrieanne, think I'll try get to the chemist tomorrow lunchtime & pick up a decent test :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite wrote: »
    it looks like its my high prolactin levels causing all my woes, but im getting an MRI tomorrow to rule out a benign pituarity tumour as this can cause the high prolactin and prevent conception in some cases. but my fertility doc can prescribe pills to reduce any growth there and to level out my prolactin. so i might be on those tablets for christmas.

So, i got the results of the MRI, I have a small benign tumour in the Pitutary gland, below the brain, which is causing the Prolactin to rise. Im now a few days into Bromocriptine, which should lower the levels to normal, and hopefully get me all fertile.:) apparantly its very common, and its side effect is impaired fertility. to any normal person, a tumour is something to freak about, but i was weirdly relieved to have something fixable, if you know what I mean?

hope it ok to post here. its my sister age 35. she has been trying for a baby for years. last year she started going to the Merrion to see what the problem is. Its a long enough process. But today she had keyhole surgery on her tubes and the outcome was one tube is too damaged beyond repair. But the other was successfully unblocked this morning and she has a 1 in 4 chance of concieving now. This is the best Christmas news I have ever had. She isint out of the woods but the possibilities are brighter now. I hope next year we will have even better news. Going to sell my car to try get some ivf funds if she still not pregnant in 6 mths.

sister of the year award here! my own sis lost a tube to an etopic some years ago, and was given slim odds of having a family, but she ended up being able to have 3 kids, (the last one a surprise while breastfeeding the second)she is now mulling over having a fourth. a cousin had badly blocked tubes and had the same process as your sister and now has a beautiful daughter, so theres hope! best of luck to your sister.

Thanks Adrieanne, think I'll try get to the chemist tomorrow lunchtime & pick up a decent test :)

Caprilicious - fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Neyite, and fingers crossed for you too. You poor thing, I think I'd have passed out after hearing the word 'tumour', its great that you have a solution though & please God you will have a positive result soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

That great brother reminds me of my own brother - I had to have chemo but if I waited the 6 weeks to get my eggs the chances of being alive long would be a lot slimmer - I wanted children so badly so my brother stepped in and said that he would pay for any fertity treatments afterwards - I went straight ahead with the chemo and did not collect my eggs. I had several miscarriages but went on to have my son and I am pregnant again. There really are some wonderful siblings out there.

caprilicious - I found the digital tests where you see pregnant or not pregnant the best, especially when you are late. I was a week late and did another test when I saw a lot of pregnant women at the supermarket, got my poor husband to get another pack - over 13 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Neyite - that must have been such a shock for you, theres never a nice way to hear the word tumour, but as you said, you now have something fixable identified which can only give hope! Best of luck getting it sorted ASAP

Cathy - sorry you had to go through chemo, its a horrible experience, im glad its all in your past, its an inspiration to hear about your child and also current pregnancy after that trauma, x

Caprilicious- best of luck in the morning, ive everything crossed for you!

Barbiegirl - hope your doin ok, x

I feel bad for just moaning....but thats all im doing...so so fed up counting the days while they drag by until i can test..only on day 24 now and its driving me insane...tomorrow is day 25, really gonna try and wait til day 27 (saturday) I would do anything to fastforward 2 days..... and thats whats p*&sing me off...i seem to spend all my time wishing the days and weeks away until its the end of my cycle, then i get disappointed...then i start the same stupid thing over again....i really tried hard not to do that this month, i took extra exercise, made loads of extra social committments to keep busy, everything, my musband and i really tried not to discuss it alot, and yet here i am wishing the hours and days away!! aaaggghh!!
    Sorry moan over....feel better already..... i know its trivial compared to alot of your problems so i do feel silly moaning but crikey im going insane!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

dublinlady wrote: »
    Neyite - that must have been such a shock for you, theres never a nice way to hear the word tumour, but as you said, you now have something fixable identified which can only give hope! Best of luck getting it sorted ASAP

Cathy - sorry you had to go through chemo, its a horrible experience, im glad its all in your past, its an inspiration to hear about your child and also current pregnancy after that trauma, x

Caprilicious- best of luck in the morning, ive everything crossed for you!

Barbiegirl - hope your doin ok, x

I feel bad for just moaning....but thats all im doing...so so fed up counting the days while they drag by until i can test..only on day 24 now and its driving me insane...tomorrow is day 25, really gonna try and wait til day 27 (saturday) I would do anything to fastforward 2 days..... and thats whats p*&sing me off...i seem to spend all my time wishing the days and weeks away until its the end of my cycle, then i get disappointed...then i start the same stupid thing over again....i really tried hard not to do that this month, i took extra exercise, made loads of extra social committments to keep busy, everything, my musband and i really tried not to discuss it alot, and yet here i am wishing the hours and days away!! aaaggghh!!
    Sorry moan over....feel better already..... i know its trivial compared to alot of your problems so i do feel silly moaning but crikey im going insane!!:(

Well for your sanity I hope you get a positive result soon... Then you can get busy in the 'Pregnant womans moan thread' ;)

Its so hard waiting until its time to test. I remember testing as early as day 18!!! And you think you're going loopy??

You should make plans to do something nice Saturday evening, maybe go out for dinner or something. At least then you have something to look forward to even if you don't get a positive this month. Hopefully it would be a celebratory meal tho :D

@ Caprilicious - I'll be thinking of ya with my fingers and toes crossed in the morning :) Good luck!

Thanks all for the well wishes, unfortunately it was a big fat no on the test this morning.
    Such a pain in the ar$e to be honest, as now I have no idea what way my cycle is :mad:
    My last period started Nov. 8th, I had a (feint) positive line on the ovulation tester days 11 & 13, had some intermittent (dark)bleeding roughly days 16 - 20 & I'm currently 8 days overdue this months period & definitely not pregnant.

Would there be any point testing for ovulation for what should have been day 11 of this cycle had my periods arrive on time?

I'm also anxious to try again this month, as before the miscarriage, the cycle before I got pregnant I also skipped a months period, so I'm worried its a bad sign.

The joys of TTC!

Hope there's good news for some of ye here soon :)

Thanks all for the well wishes, unfortunately it was a big fat no on the test this morning.
    Such a pain in the ar$e to be honest, as now I have no idea what way my cycle is :mad:
    My last period started Nov. 8th, I had a (feint) positive line on the ovulation tester days 11 & 13, had some intermittent (dark)bleeding roughly days 16 - 20 & I'm currently 8 days overdue this months period & definitely not pregnant.

Would there be any point testing for ovulation for what should have been day 11 of this cycle had my periods arrive on time?

I'm also anxious to try again this month, as before the miscarriage, the cycle before I got pregnant I also skipped a months period, so I'm worried its a bad sign.

The joys of TTC!

Hope there's good news for some of ye here soon :)
    Oh, I am sorry but I would say that until you know for certain do not assume that you may not be pregnant yet. I always found the ones in the morning less accurate as I was taking more fluids at night because of pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

dublinlady wrote: »

I could have written this post, word for word. I know EXACTLY how you feel (((hugs)))

Capri - im sorry it was a neg today, but as cathy said, its not over til its over, i havent ever skipped a cycle so afraid have nothing to say that feels like it mite help but possibly in 3 -4 days if af hasnt come test again? I hope you doin ok, i know its so frustrating, x

Detective - thats why i love this thread...theres always someone who understands how ya feel, and makes me feel a little less loopy!!:D:p

Babydust to all as always....x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭teddy12

Hi ladies, mind if i join yas?

I have been following your thread recently and just decided to post today.

Caprilicious - I am in the same position as you, I am about 5 days late, one negative cb pregnancy test and no sign of af! I am really confused becuase this has never happened to me before and my cycles are usually grand and regular. I was convinced a few days ago that I was preg because I was feeling nauseous and lightheaded and heightened sense of smell but they seemed to have eased slightly and I am now more confused than ever.

Best of luck to the rest of yas ttc!! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Teddy12, Welcome :)

some tests -even the good ones, can show up a negative result when you are in fact pregnant, hasnt happened to me, since I've never got prengant or felt pregnant yet but there are plenty on this thread that have had many negative tests only to find that a week or so later what they were feeling was right.

But I'm guilty of feeling every twinge, or every time I stand up suddenly and feel lightheaded as a Sign. I have to remind myself that before I started monitoring my body in TTC mode, probably these symptoms were came and went without me batting an eyelid.

test again in another few days, maybe?

Welcome teddy - best of luck with this month, i hopw u get a positive soon, its ver frustrating when ur cycle starts to act up!

I am p*ssed off....brown cm back today..which means two things, first that my af will be here in next day or 2 , and second that my cycle is STILL not back to normal after m/c. This is my 4th af since m/c and my 9th month trying (not alot by everyones standards i know, but it feels like forever to me). theres nothing to say, i feel like such a failure. it gets me down so bad at this time of the month, i stll just miss my baby and dread the thought of spending this christmas not pregnant. i also hate having to tell my husband the bad news every month, i can tell its getting him down too. i know ill be fine again and completely positive in a few days, but for now a few tears and lots of self pity are all im able for,
    will be back when have something more positive to contribute, but as always, thanks for listening, x

Welcome on board Teddy12 :)

Well ladies I won't be taking the maternity jeans out of retirement just yet, Aunt Flo paid a visit 3 days ago.

Dublinlady, its frustrating the way the cycle takes so long to settle down, isn't it?
    Please don't beat yourself up over it, you're not a failure at all, your baby just isn't ready yet but hopefully soon x

I was using the opk sticks to test for ovulation last month; is there another effective method? Or are those ovulation monitors worthwhile/effective?
    I'm on a mission this month!

Welcome on board Teddy12 :)

Well ladies I won't be taking the maternity jeans out of retirement just yet, Aunt Flo paid a visit 3 days ago.

Dublinlady, its frustrating the way the cycle takes so long to settle down, isn't it?
    Please don't beat yourself up over it, you're not a failure at all, your baby just isn't ready yet but hopefully soon x

I was using the opk sticks to test for ovulation last month; is there another effective method? Or are those ovulation monitors worthwhile/effective?
    I'm on a mission this month!
    Best wishes for this month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

So its been a bit of a mental christmas. Been weeping at all the xmas movies, fighting with my OH over the most mundane things, sore boobs. But my period is due 29th so I out it all down to being pre- menstral. Esp since our "not NOT trying to concieve" was particularly lax this month as OH has had very bad tooth ache(and not in the mood as a result).
    So imagine my shock and horror and DELIGHT to get a nice pair of pink lines for xmas. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I wouldn't have even done the test if I didn't have a spare one and I hadn't felt queasy after a shockingly small amount of wine.(if i had known it would be the last for a while I would have savoured it a bit more)
    When I showed other half he congratulated me like a flippin work collegue and we couldn't stop giggling like kids.

So what the hell is the protocal now?

Jinxi wrote: »
    So its been a bit of a mental christmas. Been weeping at all the xmas movies, fighting with my OH over the most mundane things, sore boobs. But my period is due 29th so I out it all down to being pre- menstral. Esp since our "not NOT trying to concieve" was particularly lax this month as OH has had very bad tooth ache(and not in the mood as a result).
    So imagine my shock and horror and DELIGHT to get a nice pair of pink lines for xmas. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I wouldn't have even done the test if I didn't have a spare one and I hadn't felt queasy after a shockingly small amount of wine.(if i had known it would be the last for a while I would have savoured it a bit more)
    When I showed other half he congratulated me like a flippin work collegue and we couldn't stop giggling like kids.

So what the hell is the protocal now?

YAY!!!!!

Big Congrats to you Jinxi. What a great Chrsitmas Present for you both.
    Wishing you a happy and safe pregnancy.

Huge congrats jinx!!! :) you must be so delighted and excited! It's the perfect start to the new year!! Health and happiness to u and ur little one!! X

COngratulations Jinxi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm absolutely delighted for you!!!

What a fantastic Christmas present to get for you and your partner.
    I hope you have a happy & healthy pregnancy!

I felt the same when I got my positive result for my little lady last year. After the 'OMG I'm pregnant, Yay' was the 'Now what?'!

I went straight to my gp to have it confirmed, after that it was a bit of an anti climax, it was too soon to tell anyone, and I didn't feel/look pregnant, it all felt a little surreal.
    Make the most of this time where its just you and your partner that know (and us ;))
    Once the rest of the family/friends know I think it made the time pass so slowly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Caprilicious, thats exactly how I feel. I love having it a secret that only my partner and I know, but I want to shout it from the roof tops.
    I took another test today just to make sure and it was a bit of a let down. The first was a first response, this one was a tescos own brand(gota start watching the pennies now). The second line was was a no show(a tiny residue of a line is about all)
    Will wait till the mrning and try again. Will see gp in the new year. Its so great to have the boards gals to share stuff with.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR STORIES. kEEP UP THE FAITH

• Advertisement

As far as I understand it, there's no such thing as a false positive, so the original positive still stands :)
    I think the cheaper the tests, the less accurate they are unfortunately.

I kept expecting to feel different, to feel pregnant but didn't feel anything different...roll on a few weeks when the morning sickness kicked in :o felt very pregnant then!

Hopefully, with a bit of luck a few more of us will be joining you in the near future in the pregnancy forum :)

Hopefully, with a bit of luck a few more of us will be joining you in the near future in the pregnancy forum :)

Amen to that :D

I'm on the Parlodel (strictly speaking not a fertility med, but in a roundabout way it is) for a few weeks now, thankfully no side effects. I got a positive OPK on 23rd and Ovulation twinges on both sides too, so I'm hoping its the kick-start from the meds.

Best of luck neyite! Fingers crossed for everyone! New year... New starts all round! :)

Hi All

new year, new start, new outlook! Have been majorly depressed over the last month, but that's to be expected what with dad's passing.

I am now on to my 5th cycle with Clomid. I am not happy, I really though I'd be pg by now, we are 19 months trying (15 cycles). Christmas eve was my test date and I really wanted a postive test to wrap under the tree for my partner....
    The Clomid has totally dried up my mucous (sorry tmi) and has also made my Luteal Phase a bit longer (15/16 days). My last cycle ran over by 5 days but I'm putting that down to stress. Clomid works for many people but not for me it seems. I have one more Clomid cycle to go after this (the script is for 6 cycles), and then I presume it's onto 'Plan B'. I think that will involve getting my tubes checked for blockages and then maybe triggers and/or injects... ?yipee...

Have any of you gotten your tubes checked before? Does it hurt?

Anyway, babydust to all, may 2011 be our year! ;)

DetectivFoxtrot, this must have been a very difficult Christmas for you and your family, I hope you're ok x

I can't answer about the future tests you will have I'm afraid, but I want to say that I hope all works well and that 2011 will be your year to get your positive test result :)

Hi All

new year, new start, new outlook! Have been majorly depressed over the last month, but that's to be expected what with dad's passing.

I am now on to my 5th cycle with Clomid. I am not happy, I really though I'd be pg by now, we are 19 months trying (15 cycles). Christmas eve was my test date and I really wanted a postive test to wrap under the tree for my partner....
    The Clomid has totally dried up my mucous (sorry tmi) and has also made my Luteal Phase a bit longer (15/16 days). My last cycle ran over by 5 days but I'm putting that down to stress. Clomid works for many people but not for me it seems. I have one more Clomid cycle to go after this (the script is for 6 cycles), and then I presume it's onto 'Plan B'. I think that will involve getting my tubes checked for blockages and then maybe triggers and/or injects... ?yipee...

Have any of you gotten your tubes checked before? Does it hurt?

Anyway, babydust to all, may 2011 be our year! ;)

Ive had my tubes checked - its a Hysterosalpingography, (HSG) Xray.
    It takes place in the xray dept, with a female doc and female radiographer. You ring them on CD1, as you have to have it before CD7. You must absolutly not be pregnant, as they inject a dye- I had mine on CD7, and i took a good preg test on the morning of it.

You put on a gown - I kept my sweater on under it, but took off the bra. you are naked from the waist down. Keep the socks on if you like.

You lie on the table, Knees to the ceiling and let legs fall to the side. They dialiate you, and insert a catheter, (just like a smear to this point) The dye is then pushed in. You have to remember not to cover your tum with your hands for the xray, as its instinctive.

I'm not gonna lie, it can hurt, some women think it was grand, others say that it was the worst pain in the world. I'm kind of in the middle - I took 2 neurofen plus beforehand- when the dye is forced in, its like a very bad period cramp, just a bit more intense - but its over in seconds. After mine, I felt a bit shaky, and was very pale after it but had a cup of tea in the coffee shop before driving home. Bring a sanitary towel in with you to your xray - the ones they give you are the massive Dr. White type, and the minute you sit up the dye will run out so have it ready with your ST and undies to put on again.

they were able to tell me on the day that it looked good, and there does seem to be suggestions that fertility is increased for a couple of months after getting one as very small blockages that would not show get swept away by the dye.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

you're a star Neyite, thanks for the comprehensive answer. ;)
    Will be seeking a HSG if I'm not pregnant by Clomid cycle 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Huge congratulations Jinxi absolutely delighted for you. :D
    DetectivFoxtrot all I can do is wish that 2011 brings you all you desire.
    As to me I'm just going to stay positive, still not fully sorted after last miscarriage, hCG levels still sticking at 60 which is thankfully too low to be a major issue like a molar pregnancy, but until it returns to 0 I can't start again. There is some talk of another op where the surgeon will go in with a camera to see if it is either some stubborn tissue or a fibroid causing all the trouble, hopefully I'll hear more this week and know what the plan is.
    Lets just put a huge positive vibe out to the universe for our much wanted babies.

barbiegirl wrote: »

Lets just put a huge positive vibe out to the universe for our much wanted babies.

+1

:)

• Advertisement

+1

:)

+ 2!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement