Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So we're now officially TTC and I can't believe it:eek::D I finished my last packet of Dianette just before Christmas and now both my husband and I are actively trying for a baby.
    Sounds strange and exciting and all kinds of wonderful things.
    Hope all goes well for each of us here and we have an abundance of babies in 2013:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So we're now officially TTC and I can't believe it:eek::D I finished my last packet of Dianette just before Christmas and now both my husband and I are actively trying for a baby.
    Sounds strange and exciting and all kinds of wonderful things.
    Hope all goes well for each of us here and we have an abundance of babies in 2013:)

Snap! Well not with the pill. I'll never go on that yoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Happy new year ladies, fingers crossed 2013 is the year of the baby!

I'm back on the pill :( Money wise, we've just had an awful few months - I haven't had enough work and our savings currently stand at exactly zero. I have a 5 week block of work starting next week which has the potential to turn into a long-term part-time position, changing to full-time in September but if I was pregnant I feel it could put the full-time role in jeopardy so unless things change we won't be trying until the end of the year now :( will still be keeping an eye in here and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Anyone try the SMEP with a longer cycle?Would you just start ovulation testing a bit later I wonder? My cycles have always been erratic but before the miscarriage they had settled to 33-36 for a couple of months. Now they are gone a bit crazy again. Last one was 45 days and I'd say this is going to be another long one, I'd be broke from ovulation sticks of I was using them from day 10 on!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Rosey, get the cheaper dip-sticks for ovulation online. They cost pennies so you can pee to your hearts content.:D They also do pregnancy tests (which I used last time to confirm my positive then broke out the Clearblue Digital to confirm the dip-stick result)

I used to order these bundles from Access Diagnostics. You can also get strips from Ebay, though I've never ordered from there myself but know others have.

Having had 29 unsuccessful cycles before my positive, I tested a LOT. :) and I found them accurate. I used shop-bought Ov tests the first cycle then after that these ones. Nothing worse than wondering but wanting to spare the expensive tests. They used to arrive within days of ordering in discreet packaging - so discreet I used to send them to my work address. I ordered all my Pre-Seed from these guys too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Can i ask you gals about preseed actually. I have never had use nor need for any lubricant at all. Im on my first month of clomid and the first night we went to do the deed i discovered i may now need lubricant and apparently clomid could be the reason for this. Anyways the next few times there was no need for lubricant but i had bought preseed anyway but it's remained on my bedside table unopened. What i'm wondering is would preseed possibly help me anyway? Does that make sense? Like even if i have no need for it should i use it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I used Preseed when ttc though I didn't need it for lubrication (although with all the trying going on it didn't hurt).
    Preseed is said to help the sperm travel safely to the egg as it mimics the fluids found in a women's vagina.
    The cycle I conceived my son I used Preseed so I always think it's worth using.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What Ms2011 said.

Clomid deffo dries things up so its no harm to supplement. But try using half what they recommend though at first as its an awful lot.

Thanks girls i guess i'll give it a go this month so lets see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Neyite wrote: »
    Rosey, get the cheaper dip-sticks for ovulation online. They cost pennies so you can pee to your hearts content.:D They also do pregnancy tests (which I used last time to confirm my positive then broke out the Clearblue Digital to confirm the dip-stick result)

I used to order these bundles from Access Diagnostics. You can also get strips from Ebay, though I've never ordered from there myself but know others have.

Having had 29 unsuccessful cycles before my positive, I tested a LOT. :) and I found them accurate. I used shop-bought Ov tests the first cycle then after that these ones. Nothing worse than wondering but wanting to spare the expensive tests. They used to arrive within days of ordering in discreet packaging - so discreet I used to send them to my work address. I ordered all my Pre-Seed from these guys too.

Will order some for the next cycle. Its too late for this month. Thanks for the help Neyite. This thread is a mine of information!

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Snap! Well not with the pill. I'll never go on that yoke again.

I thought that having come off the pill (Dianette) after being on it for a long long time that it would take ages for any sort of normal cycle to appear. Then I discovered that I got my period today having only stopped the pill on Dec 21st.
    Its funny how happy you can be to get your period isn't it? I am happy to have dates to count from now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I thought that having come off the pill (Dianette) after being on it for a long long time that it would take ages for any sort of normal cycle to appear. Then I discovered that I got my period today having only stopped the pill on Dec 21st.
    Its funny how happy you can be to get your period isn't it? I am happy to have dates to count from now.

My first period off the pill came quickly enough, but after that it drifted out, I think the longest cycle I had was 74 days. I just gave up on counting and went with keeping track of the cervical mucous. Worked first time when I did that, so I will be doing that again. I've evened out now back to what I was as a teen, 30-34 days. I'm happy with that.

Hi girls, i'm a long time reader here and not sure have I introduced myself or told my story. I think I'll give ye a little background because 1. I think people dont push fertility enough with doctors and 2. I was surprised at a recent outcome.
    I'm 26 and my period had been regular 28days since I was 11. Now I have EXTREMELY heavy periods and flooding and a lot of pain too. My sister had endo and some other issues and took 7years to concieve (after being told she had unexplained fertility and she would need ivf) and I guess as a result of this I always vowed to myself I wouldnt let things go on as long as 7years if I could help it (I also feared that because of similarities in our cycles our whole life that I would end up with the same problems as her, negative thinking maybe but....).
    So throughout the years before ttc I had been to various gynes to try and help my periods etc. and I always felt I was getting nowhere fast but back in 09 i went to the kilkenny clinic and had the coil put in to help (I've never been able to take the pill because i suffer migraine) .
    Anyways between the jigs and reels I had scans and that done up there and was told my womb looks good, probably don't have endo (although a laparoscopy can really only diagnose this ) and also I was making good follicles (wasnt really relevent at the time because I wasnt ttc but there you go). So august 2011 I had the coil out (I had always had a heavy regular period on the coil much to my gps amazement) so when the coil came out my cycles remained the same normal and consitent so we started trying to concieve that month.
    Here's where I decided right, you hear all these rumours like they wont see you until you are trying 2 years, some say 1 year bla bla bla and my advice is stop listening to others rumours. If you feel there is something wrong push you gp yourself. So I discussed my plans with my gp and in the meantime I was in to see her a few times in the year and each time I would make sure I mentioned ttc and nothing happening. By summer 2012 she said " come into me in august when you are trying 1 year and I promise we will start investigations". I was delighted to finally be listened to. So in august she did a full blood panel, she then set me up to have my day21 bloods done and she got my husband to do a semen analysis test. After all those results came back fine (except my day 21s) she finally referred me to a gyne to persue this further. I always knew and she always knew that this was going to be where this led but she said to me it is better for her to do all the preliminary testing so that by the time we see him we can jump straight into it.
    I told her I wanted to see him privately as she said she thinks there is over 6 month wait for him and so by paying we got to see him 2 weeks later. And I'll tell ye now it was the best €150 I ever spent!!! He was so understanding, asked me what i wanted him to do and told me that wasnt a trick question and he put getting me pregnant and sorting out my periods in the same order of preference. So here's where it got interesting. I had always thought as had my gp that by now it probably is endometreosis and even possible tube problems like my sister but he said to me based on my day 21s that i may not be ovulating every month. I was surprised by this and also as mad as it sounds kind of relieved because it just gave me hope. So he gave me tablets for my period and he put me on 4months 50mg of clomid. (i was wary about clomid as my sister had hyper stimulation on it but doc said chances of that happening me then was extremely rare).
    So I'm finished my first month, waiting my period on friday (obviously hope it doesnt come but all the signs are there so I am expecting it) but I guess statisically it seems to be month 4 that has the most success rate so here's hoping I become the right kind of statistic :)

My first period off the pill came quickly enough, but after that it drifted out, I think the longest cycle I had was 74 days. I just gave up on counting and went with keeping track of the cervical mucous. Worked first time when I did that, so I will be doing that again. I've evened out now back to what I was as a teen, 30-34 days. I'm happy with that.

I remember I had to come off the pill a few times in the past for a couple of surgeries that I needed to have and it took 80+ days to get a period. Thats probably why I was so surprised to get one now so quickly.
    My body was never one for being terribly regular on things like this before I went on the Pill and I'd be astonished if it had changed at this stage. Its just nice to have something to count from in the eventual hope that I have to be asked by a doctor as they are estimating a due date:D
    Fingers crossed!!

Need an education as to what this is and how you do it:o

Stargirl, are you getting follicle scans now you are on Clomid? I'd insist on those if you are not especially due to your sisters experience. I had a surprisingly good response with clomid despite a very low dosage.

Need an education as to what this is and how you do it:o

AKA Knickerwatch :D

Here is some info.

Stargirl, are you getting follicle scans now you are on Clomid? I'd insist on those if you are not especially due to your sisters experience. I had a surprisingly good response with clomid despite a very low dosage.

No which I thought was strange! But I think he thinks because of my age and stuff I dunno that like I just need this as a little push. If not pregnant by april he says he'll operate. I've had day 21 bloods done friday just gone so they will be ringing me to let me know the results of that and I guess to see is the clomid performing.

No which I thought was strange! But I think he thinks because of my age and stuff I dunno that like I just need this as a little push. If not pregnant by april he says he'll operate. I've had day 21 bloods done friday just gone so they will be ringing me to let me know the results of that and I guess to see is the clomid performing.

They will be able to tell from your bloods that you ovulated, but not how many follicles are present I think- which is the risk for over-stimulation. Guidelines in Ireland are that if there are more than 3 mature follicles the cycle treatment is cancelled - no Octomom's here! I got scanned before taking the Clomid to see if any residual follicles would re-mature as well as on day 10 prior to taking the trigger shot.

I was on 50mg x5 which was reduced to 50mg x 2 when I had three mature and one immature follicle on cycle one. My lucky cycle (3rd) I had 2 mature and one slightly immature follicle and they were debating whether or not to let me take the trigger shot. They gave the go ahead and both fertilised. (I did have a MMC on one at 8 weeks though carried the other twin to term.

Yeah i guess im waitng to see how he responds to the bloods. He basically said take this tablet go home for four months, throw everything out of the bedroom tv etc. he said only the victora secrets catalogue can remain :D, have fun have sex dont worry and hopefully get pregnant. So although most people have their follicles monitored, i know people who havent either so i'll ride it out (excuse the pun:D ) and see where we are.

• Advertisement

AKA Knickerwatch :D

Here is some info.

Well that was quite an education. I never knew my knickers could hold so many secrets :D

Got my day 21 results today. Number was 38.5 so doc wants to increase clomid to 100mg and i have to have more day 21s done next cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lemon Squeezy

Well, it was our first month trying, and my period arrived bang on time! :o

We weren't having more sex than usual, but we still did it on average every second day throughout the month.

I read somewhere that, even if there are no medical issues on either the mother or the father's side, and even if you do everything absolutely right, you still only have a 25% chance of getting pregnant in any given month. Would you think that this is about right, or totally made up?

I'm just a little surprised - I suppose I'm used to the fear that's been drilled into me for years, that if you have unprotected sex, you WILL get pregnant immediately. :rolleyes: But I'm not too disappointed. We're in no rush, I won't be seeking medical advice anytime soon.

I posted this in August.

Nothing yet. We're thinking maybe it's time to start tracking and trying a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

hey again all

after being to the doc AGAIN trying to get him to listen and then reading stargirls story ive decided to go yet again and this time be wayyyyy more forcefull i think the reasons i havent been so forcefull is im still slightly embarrassed by having to discuss my cycle with my gp and thats been my let down i go bright pink talking bout it but have decided it needs to be done as i havent had sight nor sound of it since oct and no am not with child definately not so my doc is going to have to either fix it or refer me to someone who is willing and able to sort out what is the normal cycle days for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

carlyam2 wrote: »
    hey again all

after being to the doc AGAIN trying to get him to listen and then reading stargirls story ive decided to go yet again and this time be wayyyyy more forcefull i think the reasons i havent been so forcefull is im still slightly embarrassed by having to discuss my cycle with my gp and thats been my let down i go bright pink talking bout it but have decided it needs to be done as i havent had sight nor sound of it since oct and no am not with child definately not so my doc is going to have to either fix it or refer me to someone who is willing and able to sort out what is the normal cycle days for me.

Try to forget that it's a personal issue and consider it as a business conversation. Believe me, it gets more personal the longer the investigations go on so you may as well prepare yourself! Best of luck!

thank you yellow hen. i have a big notebook with everthing in it and if i need to ill bring it out and show him as well as talk.
    im dragging poor oh with me as well lucky him ha ha.
    i have it in my head now that im going to deal with this 2013 will be our year i have good feelings over the date 13/12/13 dont know why i just do so will deal with the doc and looking at it like business transaction is actually really good advice.

I think husbands should always come with unless they really really have to wrk because my doctor was speaking to both of us as a couple and gives husbands a real sense of what's really going on. You know it's not their bodies that have to go through it all so they can be quite detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

We are going for our first appointment next month, feel like it will never come, have been counting down the days.

Was in work today and 2 of the lads announced their wife's are pregnant - FFS, I feel like everyone around me is pregnant :(

I had the pleasure of looking at baby scans and discussing bottle versus breast and prams specs - fun times!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Sorry I sound like a really moan in that last post, was just having a mini rant :o one of those days

• Advertisement

ah stickybean out time will come i used hate when people said that to me but i have since realised with the help of my hubby (who last night came home with a pile of info on adoption if we need it which to me was super sweet cause it shows he was actually listening and has gone off researching on his own.) that we will get there our journeys are just the scenic route which will make us better people in the long run or at least thats what im believing today.
    as for looking at the scan pics i hated that before but one of the girls in the office is expecting her first and i really was grand looking at them im all excited for her and ill get there soon.
    as for husbands/partners coming to the doc mine usually does but the last few times he has been working and couldnt get time off but were startin the new yr as we mean to go on and get this sorted but at the same time have lots of fun practising :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement