Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lucuma wrote: »
    The expat doctor hadn't a bulls notion how to interpret my day 21 results but I've looked it up online now and verified on several different websites my result is bad :-(

14.7 nmol/l

(according to opks I ov'd approx 7 days b4 this 21 day test)

From what I can tell from online this should be 30 or more and means either I didn't ovulate (despite opk to the contrary) or I did ov but my corpus luteum might not be secreting enough progesterone so I could have difficulty sustaining pregnancy.
    In tears on the bus back to work and don't want to back in and face the rest of the day :-(

It sucks not having any confidence in your doctor. I see that you're living abroad, where abouts? Not being nosey just wondering if it would be easy to swap to a different doctor in whom you might have more confidence or build a relationship with.
    This TTC is difficult and fraught with twists and turns and emotional difficulties and so having a good medical person in your corner is very important. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

The expat doctor hadn't a bulls notion how to interpret my day 21 results but I've looked it up online now and verified on several different websites my result is bad :-(

14.7 nmol/l

(according to opks I ov'd approx 7 days b4 this 21 day test)

From what I can tell from online this should be 30 or more and means either I didn't ovulate (despite opk to the contrary) or I did ov but my corpus luteum might not be secreting enough progesterone so I could have difficulty sustaining pregnancy.
    In tears on the bus back to work and don't want to back in and face the rest of the day :-(

I'm in a similar boat. On my last 28 day cycle, my day 21 progesterone was just under 2!! This cycle, after getting a positive on my opk & a temperature shift, my result was just under 7! Got AF with full force last night, so definitely not my month.

I'm trying to be positive about my progesterone results. It looks like that is my problem, so maybe that can now be addressed. It may even be that my previous miscarriages were due to low progesterone. At least if we know the problem, I feel like we're getting somewhere.

By the way, I don't know if its just me, but everyone around me seems to be pregnant at the minute!! Another announcement from a friend today. Tried to be excited for her, but deep down it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Day 48 and I'm out, how cruel mother nature can be, 20 days late and I kept holding out hope... feeling drained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

PennyDreadful, thanks - I went to that doc coz it's free (I know, am I a cheapskate or what) and even the blood tests are free. I used them to get what I want for free (day 3 + day 21 bloods and a referral letter for a fertility clinic) So I shouldn't complain about a free service being crap, look I got what I wanted out of them - I have to do the analysis of the results myself for the time being - I'm hoping to pop into my GP in Ireland when I'm home at the weekend, she doesn't do Sat clinics but she said she's often in the office doing paperwork of a Sat if I want to call in so I'll see if she's around this Sat, I'd love to sit down and talk about this day 21 result with her.

Stickybean and Tomee, very sorry to hear about that witch arriving :(

My friends are also visiting (remember that old phrase) ....she's certainly no friend to anyone on this forum!!

Tomee, yes I have been reading about low progesterone and yes it can be a sign of miscarriage. That's why Napro (from what I've read) give you progesterone, apparently they really focus on progesterone.

It's a weird one to find out is low, because I don't know what I can do about it....it's not like - eat more greens, raise your progesterone! Get more sleep, cut out alcohol/caffeine - raise your progesterone! I don't know how to increase the amount of a hormone inside my body?

stickybean wrote: »
    Day 48 and I'm out, how cruel mother nature can be, 20 days late and I kept holding out hope... feeling drained

:eek::eek: Jeeze Mother Nature is being the wicked stepmother .

20 days! How could you not hope with 20 days.

Sending warm thoughts your way. Hope you're doing ok. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks girls xx

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/health-insurers-to-discuss-covering-ivf-treatments-1.1528752

My friend (the only friend I talk to about TTC) found this article and sent it onto me after I was giving out about VHI to her last week.

Glad to see an infertility group is campaigning for this. Fair play to them!

My friend also found this:

https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/member_benefits.jsp

Huh??!?!

Now I'm totally confused !!! They told me on the phone last week they give me nothing towards it

Feeling the fear big time right now.

I went to the bathroom a little while ago and noticed some spotting. Assuming its my period. :( If it is then its early (if I'm going to work off when I ovulated which was Nov 19th) which means my luteal phase is short, very short which isn't good news.
    I'm experiencing some mild back pain and cramping as I would get with my period.
    All signs are pointing to it being my bloody, stupid, freakin' period.

Trying to so hard (if awards were given out for the speed at which a girl can Google:rolleyes:) so very hard to convince myself its implantation bleeding and not my period. If it was implantation bleeding then its right on schedule as to when it happens. Just don't feel that lucky though. :( I have very tender boobs too and have done for a week but again the way things are going I bet thats just stupid period stuff too.

The really really awkward thing is that its too early to take a pregnancy test that would deliver conclusive news one way or the other. Granted if the bleeding develops then I'll have the answer in the form of a full on period.

Stupid body. Sometimes I don't like you very much.

I went to the bathroom a little while ago and noticed some spotting. Assuming its my period. :( If it is then its early (if I'm going to work off when I ovulated which was Nov 19th) which means my luteal phase is short, very short which isn't good news.
    I'm experiencing some mild back pain and cramping as I would get with my period.

Penny I hope it's not your period but if it is, chin up, you've only been trying 1 cycle with OPKs, maybe it will take a couple of cycles of correctly timed sex to get a sticky bean. Fingers crossed for you anyway though that it isn't your period!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Trying to so hard (if awards were given out for the speed at which a girl can Google:rolleyes:) so very hard to convince myself its implantation bleeding and not my period. If it was implantation bleeding then its right on schedule as to when it happens. Just don't feel that lucky though. :( I have very tender boobs too and have done for a week but again the way things are going I bet thats just stupid period stuff too.

The really really awkward thing is that its too early to take a pregnancy test that would deliver conclusive news one way or the other. Granted if the bleeding develops then I'll have the answer in the form of a full on period.

Stupid body. Sometimes I don't like you very much.

Penny, I feel your pain. I had a very short luteal phase on my last cycle, just 8 days. My period started very light so for about 2 days I was trying to figure out if it was implantation bleeding or a real period. Had a first response test at the ready, wondering how soon I could test. Was really frustrating not knowing!! In my case, it turned out to be my period, but I've my fingers crossed for you that that's not the case!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My friend also found this:

https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/member_benefits.jsp

Huh??!?!

Now I'm totally confused !!! They told me on the phone last week they give me nothing towards it

The wording on it looks a bit funny - they say they pay a benefit. so wondering if they pay a small day to day expenses type thing? I cant find the full schedule online though. You have to go through a quote, but maybe someone here can access their policy online: its benefits listed in Schedule 5 Table of Benefits.

Well hubby's SA take two results are in.....this time the ''fertility condom'' was used so every drop was tested this time.

Unfortunately though, the results are still bad: Count of 4 this time (3 last time), Morphology of 3 this time (also 3 last time) and Motility of 43% this time (40% last time). According to the HARI that's a fail on all three.
    The Hari told his doc, they recommend IVF with ICSI.

He got those results yesterday on teh same day that I got the bad day 21 result. As you can imagine twas great craic round ours last night :(

Strangely enough, because the news is sooooo bad, I'm actually gone into a shock mode so instead of sobbing all day in the toilets at work, I'm actually bouncing around the place. I think it's called Denial !!!

It will take a few weeks I'd say for the full impact of this to sink in. My mind is whirling, absolutely spinning, there are so many thoughts going around and around.

Thanks girls xx

Stickybean, hope you're alright. I know you have an operation coming up in the next few weeks? So not that you can ''look forward'' to that..... but at least look forward to the answers and solutions that it hopefully brings ye x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Well hubby's SA take two results are in.....this time the ''fertility condom'' was used so every drop was tested this time.

Unfortunately though, the results are still bad: Count of 4 this time (3 last time), Morphology of 3 this time (also 3 last time) and Motility of 43% this time (40% last time). According to the HARI that's a fail on all three.

He got those results yesterday on teh same day that I got the bad day 21 result. As you can imagine twas great craic round ours last night :(

Strangely enough, because the news is sooooo bad, I'm actually gone into a shock mode so instead of sobbing all day in the toilets at work, I'm actually bouncing around the place. I think it's called Denial !!!

It will take a few weeks I'd say for the full impact of this to sink in. My mind is whirling, absolutely spinning, there are so many thoughts going around and around.

Lucuma just to say sorry about the results. Have you looked at Napro as they will work with both parties, to improve results. http://www.fertilitycare.net/Infertility.htm
    You may still go on to IVF but at least you will have improved your chances by hopefully both having healthier test results. Just a thought.

Stickybean, hope you're alright. I know you have an operation coming up in the next few weeks? So not that you can ''look forward'' to that..... but at least look forward to the answers and solutions that it hopefully brings ye x

Thank honey, have it on the 10th, dreading it...

To be honest, I was going cancel.

Sooo sorry to hear about your results pet xxx

Penny I hope it's not your period but if it is, chin up, you've only been trying 1 cycle with OPKs, maybe it will take a couple of cycles of correctly timed sex to get a sticky bean. Fingers crossed for you anyway though that it isn't your period!

Its a period all right. Anyhow as you rightly pointed out (and I told myself before) its my first cycle with OPKs and looking at the upside of things I know I ovulated which is good. We were forced (thanks to the SA) to avoid each other for the main part of the fertile period this cycle so it was a teeny tiny chance that we'd have gotten so luck this time around.
    Its a "good" period too i.e. its all kinds of proper icky blood and stuff that apparently makes your whole fertility business better.
    I also got to make my day 3 appointment today too for Friday so I'll at least get the bloods done and be given a good look at how things stand there too. The SA results will be in too so all in all we'll have a lot of information to work from.
    Also at least my period isn't horribly painful as it just snuck up on me.
    Its also an excuse to eat the crisps and chocolate that I've been avoiding for ages. Had chipsticks and a golden crisp (well 2 squares of it) and they were yum.
    Finally- putting up the Christmas tree and decorations this weekend and I'm going to open a bottle of champagne, light the fire and enjoy a great evening with my lovely husband. We've been waiting for ages to pop that bottle and you know what we could die waiting so I'm just going to do it and celebrate a mini Christmas and being happily in love and sod the rest of the $hit€ for the evening.

Ggrrrr being cheery is blood hard work at times isn't it:):(

To be honest, I was going cancel.

Because you thought you were pregnant?

if so, fair enough. But if you meant you were going to cancel it coz of being nervous, ah jesus don't!

Just picture yourself enjoying Xmas with it all over and done with and behind you, that's only a few weeks away. It will be worth it!

Believe me, when I looked up IVF I actually felt sick the first time i read through the description and I had to stop reading. I feel REALLY angry that looks like I probably have to go through this now possibly numerous times just to maybe get to have what other people get by having a bit of nookie with their other half, and nothing more!! Why us :mad:

Finally- putting up the Christmas tree and decorations this weekend and I'm going to open a bottle of champagne, light the fire and enjoy a great evening with my lovely husband. We've been waiting for ages to pop that bottle and you know what we could die waiting so I'm just going to do it and celebrate a mini Christmas and being happily in love and sod the rest of the $hit€ for the evening.

bad news about Aunt Flo :(

I admire your attitude though, I've been having a good long hard think about things myself, and I don't want this to consume our lives for the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Sorry to hear about the results Lucuma,It's alot to take in.

At least you know now not that it's any consolation but at least you can go ahead and take the next step whatever decision you make.

bad news about Aunt Flo :(

I admire your attitude though, I've been having a good long hard think about things myself, and I don't want this to consume our lives for the next 10 years.

Fake it 'till you make it. :rolleyes::) Its a period, its not cast iron proof that we're never going to have the baby we desire. Its a pain in the ass and today my mood matches (or out does, I'm more thunder and lightening right now) the wet miserable weather, work is really annoying me and all that .
    HOWEVER,
    like everything else this feeling will pass. I know that, of all things I'm sure of I know that this feeling will pass.

Sending good positive thoughts to all of the TTC ladies (and their partners too) today. Its close to Friday, a week closer to Christmas (i.e. a break from work), onwards and (eventually) upwards we will go.

Day 3 results in. FSH of 15 U/l

Breathe................................

Can't believe my OH and I wasted all that money on contraception over the years. Seems it would have been a medical miracle for us to conceive!

All I've ever wanted was to be a Mum :-( :-( :-( :-(

Don think like that Lucuma I know it's hard not to but you will have your baby your just gonna have to take the scenic route . Don't talk about contraception I blame it for my problems!

Don think like that Lucuma I know it's hard not to but you will have by your baby your just gonna have to take the scenic route . Don't talk about contraception I blame it for my problems!

bobskii wrote: »
    Don think like that Lucuma I know it's hard not to but you will have by your baby your just gonna have to take the scenic route . Don't talk about contraception I blame it for my problems!

So do I, it's the only thing I can think of - all those years on the pill.
    oh and stress. Yesterday after receiving the latest round of bad news, I was thinking back through all the females in my family - starting with my uber-fertile sister to my uber-fertile mother, uber-fertile grandmothers on both sides - then I was thinking about my aunties - all had families, and then I was going back to the grand-aunties searching for any other infertile women in the family other than me. The only thing I could come up with was one of my grandaunts who married but never had any family. I really feel like an anomaly in my family I have to say :(

My GP in Ireland said she'll be in the surgery doing paperwork on Sat and has agreed to meet me to discuss my day 3 + day 21, thank god. I can't wait to discuss these results with a professional. There's a tiny bit of me is hoping she'll tell me I misinterpreted the units and if you convert the results to different units they're all suddenly fantastic!! (but think I'm grasping at straws)

So back from the GPs clinic where I had my Day 3 bloods drawn. We discussed the Day 21 bloods which were all great (he did a full screen, calcium, thyroid, kidneys, the works) and everything looks good except for the fact that the lab forgot (yes FORGOT) to test for progesterone. :eek::rolleyes:
    Now I need to have Day 21 bloods drawn again to test for this.

My husband's SA results were back too. They were mostly all good. The volume and amount sperm is all great and well above average the downside comes when you look at motility and one other thing that I can't for the life of me remember now. However that said, the GP said that while these are a little on the low side when combined (and this is the way the result is read to mean anything) then they are ok - not great - but ok.

So now its wait for Day 21 again, keep doing the BD, and when the results come back for the Day 21 bloods we'll discuss pelvic ultrasounds and the other investigations to see whats going on.

Overall feel positive enough about things.............mostly because it beats the alternative!

So back from the GPs clinic where I had my Day 3 bloods drawn. We discussed the Day 21 bloods which were all great (he did a full screen, calcium, thyroid, kidneys, the works) and everything looks good except for the fact that the lab forgot (yes FORGOT) to test for progesterone. :eek::rolleyes:
    Now I need to have Day 21 bloods drawn again to test for this.

My husband's SA results were back too. They were mostly all good. The volume and amount sperm is all great and well above average the downside comes when you look at motility and one other thing that I can't for the life of me remember now. However that said, the GP said that while these are a little on the low side when combined (and this is the way the result is read to mean anything) then they are ok - not great - but ok.

So now its wait for Day 21 again, keep doing the BD, and when the results come back for the Day 21 bloods we'll discuss pelvic ultrasounds and the other investigations to see whats going on.

Overall feel positive enough about things.

Hey, great news on the sperm count. The other thing is morphology - it's the shape of the sperm. Needs to be above 4 I think. And motility according to differnt sources should be either above 40% or above 50%.

Weird the the lab forgot to test for the most important day 21 test! But shur you would have had to get it done again anyway, coz it was done pre-ovulation last month wasn't it? So you'll have to make sure to do it on day 28 or whatever this month now to make sure it's post-ovulation

Hey, great news on the sperm count. The other thing is morphology - it's the shape of the sperm. Needs to be above 4 I think. And motility according to differnt sources should be either above 40% or above 50%.

Weird the the lab forgot to test for the most important day 21 test! But shur you would have had to get it done again anyway, coz it was done pre-ovulation last month wasn't it? So you'll have to make sure to do it on day 28 or whatever this month now to make sure it's post-ovulation

Thanks. The sperm count is good news but the motility could be a factor. GP said it was fine but its not great. It was 46% and he said it should be above 40% for sure but 46 was still lower than he'd like but when combined with (maybe the morphology - stupid me for forgetting) the other test which was above the minimum but still not great the total result would be ok.
    Given that there was no progesterone result its hard to have a full picture of anything.
    Maybe if all my blood work comes back as being good and ok then the focus will be on the sperm motility. Getting ultraounds done is ok though, its not an invasive test, my insurance will cover it and its always good to get your body parts check over anyway.
    Overall I'm still no closer to having a road to go down re: lack of conception but to take the good news out of the morning at least I know I'm perfectly healthy in all of the other ways that matter.

• Advertisement

Well yesterday was definitely one of the saddest days :-(

But today apart from the puffy eyes I'm actually grand. Work fine, great distraction.

Hubby & I have decided to follow the Fertility code (book) for the next few months in preparation for IVF to give us the best possible fighting chance. It's a holistic approach one of the key elements is diet (all organic, tons and tons of green leafy veg, tons of beans, lentils, legumes, cut caffeine right down, cut out alcohol, dairy, red meat, processed foods) but it also includes taking loads of different vitamin supplements, meditation, mindfullness, yoga, exercise.

It'll be good to have something to focus on and will be soooooo much easier when there's 2 of doing it. In fact he's more enthusiastic about it than I am - which is more than half the battle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement