Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

That's great,it will keep you positive!I better get my finger out and get b a clear to the eating healthy myself have let that slip last couple of months.

That's great,it will keep you positive!I better get my finger out and get b a clear to the eating healthy myself have let that slip last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Had a bit of time on my hands last night and did a bit more research into this day 21 progesterone thing.

Interestingly I discovered that progesterone rises from ovulation on, peaks around day 21, then FALLS until the day you have your period.

Aha.

Didn't know that bit about the falling before.

So for a typical luteal phase of 14 days, you hit the middle day of the 14 i.e. day 21.

But for someone with a 23 day cycle and ov on day 14 like me, then my luteal phase is 9 days long. Split that in 2 and you get 4.5 days. Add 4.5 days onto day 14 and you get day 19! So my progesterone must peak on around day 19, then start to fall until I get my period.

In the cycle that I got the ''day 21'' result of 15 for progesterone, I had the day 21 test done on day 22 (doc was booked out on day 21) and I had a 23 day cycle. So is it possible the result was 15 because my peak had occured a few days earlier and by day 22 (2 days before my period) my progesterone was in fact at that stage, on the wane?

I know we still have to get IVF with ICSI coz of hubby's SA, but at least if I felt we weren't both banjaxed, I'd feel so much more positive about the whole thing! I'm going to run my theory past the GP today. Fingers crossed there could be a light at the end of the tunnel

Let me know how you get on . I tracked my ovulation for about 5/6 months this year . I don't ovulate till day 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

bobskii wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on . I tracked my ovulation for about 5/6 months this year . I don't ovulate till day 20!

I had another session of acupuncture last night and told my therapist that I'd gotten my period, earlier than expected and was quite upset. Interestingly he was delighted that I'd gotten it on day 33.
    When I asked why he said that he was working on bringing my cycle to a 28-31 day average and so far he'd managed to get it to day come back. Once he is happy that its been made shorter than the 39 day cycle I've been experiencing he is going to start on my ovulation day and get that to a more regular phase with a suitably long LP until I get my period. He thinks a few more sessions should have that sorted.
    I spoke to him about my husbands semen analysis and he said that a few sessions could help with motility if we wanted to have them.
    Doing the decorations today and behaving very decadently by drinking in the afternoon!. Trying to focus very much on this time next year when either I'll be pregnant or we'll have a small one.

• Advertisement

GP in Ireland threw me a few lifelines :)

THANK GOD. Honestly there is only so much bad news 1 couple can take in 1 week.

First off - my ''day 21' progesterone of 15 nmol/l. This one she described as a ''waste of time'' coz it was taken on day 22 of a 23 day cycle, i.e. it was taken when the progesterone is falling away just before period starts. So I am to disregard it, and repeat it on around day 18 she said.

As for my FSH of 15 on day 3, the unit used, and ranges given (coz it was tested in Europe) differ from those in Ireland so she wants me to repeat the day 3 in Ireland just to be sure. I'll have to get the sample taken in Doc in Europe and then keep the blood in fridge, fly home with it (grand as under 100ml) and drop it into the hosp in Ireland on a Sat morn. She gave me the vials, labels, bags etc.

She said that with a Day 3 you look at LH and FSH. She said they should be roughly 1:1 ratio. She said in a woman with polycystic ovaries the LH would be about double the FSH. In mine, it's the other way around - the FSH is double the LH hence she's wondering if the FSH is maybe expressed in different units (no units are given for it just U/l which she said just means ''unit'' per litre without specifying what the unit actually is).

Also she took blood for my AMH test, as I need that anyway as a precursor for the fertility appointment (well they said they can do it for me but I prefer to have as much as possible done in advance, so that actual decisions can be made at the fertility appointment). She said she'll have that back in about 10 days.

V.nervous about that one..............................I actually kind of don't want to know :-(

Lucuma wrote: »
    GP in Ireland threw me a few lifelines :)

THANK GOD. Honestly there is only so much bad news 1 couple can take in 1 week.

First off - my ''day 21' progesterone of 15 nmol/l. This one she described as a ''waste of time'' coz it was taken on day 22 of a 23 day cycle, i.e. it was taken when the progesterone is falling away just before period starts. So I am to disregard it, and repeat it on around day 18 she said.

As for my FSH of 15 on day 3, this one is expressed in some european units that she doesn't recognise. It's expressed in U/l and the range given, is way wider than the irish range. So she made a stab at it and said she thinks my FSH on day 3, expressed in irish terms, is about 7. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it being 15.

Major relief in fact I felt on a high all day after talking to her. Now to be sure to be sure to be sure, she wants me to repeat the day 3 in Ireland - obviously impossible considering I work in Europe, but I'm taking 2 weeks off for Xmas hols so I'll just about swing it. She gave me blood vials and labels and bags, and told me to ask the expat doctor over to take a sample in her vial, she said I can keep it for a few days in teh fridge, fly home with it (coz it's under 100mls) and bring it to the hospital in Ireland myself on a Saturday morning. She is going over and above the call of duty for me - meeting me on a Sat even though she doesn't do weekend surgery, giving me labels and vials to drop the samples in myself and generally did alot to alay my fears and calm me down. Absolute legde :-)

She said that with a Day 3 you look at LH and FSH. She said they should be roughly 1:1 ratio. She said in a woman with polycystic ovaries the LH would be about double the FSH.

That's great news. It's funny how when things seem so bad and so dark that a ray of light breaks through.
    Wouldn't it be brilliant if we both migrated from the TTC thread to a "due 2014 xxx" thread around the same time!!
    Tree up in my house now, decorations all over the place and dinner on. Interesting time cooking after a few glasses of wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

Well this is a weird one, I'm on day 20 of my cycle and no sign of ovulation yet, not even preliminary twinges :confused: I'm sure my body's just sorting itself out after being on the pill, even so it's all a bit confusing!

Well this is a weird one, I'm on day 20 of my cycle and no sign of ovulation yet, not even preliminary twinges :confused: I'm sure my body's just sorting itself out after being on the pill, even so it's all a bit confusing!

How long was your last cycle Broody?

I had another session of acupuncture last night and told my therapist that I'd gotten my period, earlier than expected and was quite upset. Interestingly he was delighted that I'd gotten it on day 33.
    When I asked why he said that he was working on bringing my cycle to a 28-31 day average and so far he'd managed to get it to day come back. Once he is happy that its been made shorter than the 39 day cycle I've been experiencing he is going to start on my ovulation day and get that to a more regular phase with a suitably long LP until I get my period. He thinks a few more sessions should have that sorted.
    I spoke to him about my husbands semen analysis and he said that a few sessions could help with motility if we wanted to have them.

Sounds like he really knows what he's doing. My husband & I are both going to start acupuncture as well.

• Advertisement

That's great news Lucuma,exactly what you needed!

That's great news Lucuma,exactly what you needed!

Sounds like he really knows what he's doing. My husband & I are both going to start acupuncture as well.

I attended this particular acupuncturist before for chronic knee and back pain and it worked wonders for me. I'd reached the end of the road with any conventional medical treatment and thought there had to be more than one way to skin a cat and tried acupuncture very successfully.
    When I decided to try another way about getting help with conception then I immediately thought of him. Granted I'm being impatient about it working which I knew would take time, it took a while for the knee problem to get sorted so hard as it is I need to be patient with this.
    One thing that is really good about it as a treatment is that it's very relaxing which it not the case when you have to (as we may well yet have to do) take hormones, etc.
    Also it's affordable enough too!

OK so I ground coffee beans & brewed my last cup of liquid caffeine gold this morning, then went into town + had my last Butler's cookie hot Choc, (I also spent a small fortune on the required weird + wonderful vitamin supplements I'm telling ya someone is making money out of this fertility thing!!) and I'm now in d airport lounge having my last free beer......

the fertility code nutrition plan starts tomorrow :-/

Won't be easy but sure at least there's 2 of us in it.

I've already come up with a cunning plan for the Xmas ....inspired partially by a suggestion on here. What do ye think of this- non alcoholic red wine disguised in an old empty real red wine bottle!!

Lol!one thing I refuse to give up is coffee!I did for a while and then thought sod that it's the only enjoyment I get out of life lately!what happens if someone wants to share your wine? :p

!what happens if someone wants to share your wine? :p

They can feck off, it's all for me! ;o)

It will get me through 1 particular night ....Xmas night with my cousins, aunts + uncles who all drink beer :-)

Lol!one thing I refuse to give up is coffee!I did for a while and then thought sod that it's the only enjoyment I get out of life lately!

I know exactly what you mean. TTC without success makes us sad and 1 of d few reliefs are our little vices, then we are expected to give up those vices to maybe (but still not definitely) succeed at TTC!

Very hard situation. My poa for coffee-free day:
    -1 cup of Barry's tea in d morning
    - 1 cup of green tea after lunch (contains some caffeine, enuf to wake up after food plus is meant 2b v.good 4 u)
    -Starbucks +the like do decaf lattes/cappacinos, taste yummy even w/out d caffeine :-)

I'm always saying i must try decaf,must put it in my shoppin list!!
    Good Thinking on the wine,i intend havin a few drinkis at christmas but at this stage i'm presuming we will be startin ivf in january so i'm gonna chill over the festive season!

I also presume (gulp) that we will be starting IVF in Jan :-(

Worst time of d year for a detox with Crimbo but desperate times call for desperate measures :(

On the plus side by next Christmas you could be a mum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

How long was your last cycle Broody?

Last cycle was 32 days, though this is my first after my 'real' period. Ah I don't mind too much, we weren't planning on being pregnant before Christmas or anything, just a bit perplexed!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I can say I've given up. Not ment to be.

We're just home from the hari open night talk thingy . can't get over the amount of people there . All lookin as lost as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

We're just home from the hari open night talk thingy . can't get over the amount of people there . All lookin as lost as each other.

Ohhh was it good?

It was in a sense they told you exactly what your gonna be doin(sprays,injections).they offer counselling through the whole process . We had to fill in a questionnaire and they will contact us with an appointment.

Sounds good! My nurse in my GP highly recommends HARI

I dunno I'm not feeling the love for it!I don't know why but I don't like the doctor . I think it's his manner anytime we've been in with him he's always discussing other patients in front of us.

I dunno I'm not feeling the love for it!I don't know why but I don't like the doctor . I think it's his manner anytime we've been in with him he's always discussing other patients in front of us.

Jaysis that's a bit off putting!! I think clinic choice is such a personal decision of each couple. I'm half thinking of napro if we're not successful with clomid/surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Does anyone chat to anyone who didn't start the thread .. no one's seems to relate or try . Is there a different thread or what am confused yet there's an enthusiastic reply to other's .

ellavin wrote: »
    Does anyone chat to anyone who didn't start the thread .. no one's seems to relate or try . Is there a different thread or what am confused yet there's an enthusiastic reply to other's .

Of course! People come in to chat, or to sound off, or to cry, or to shout. This thread has many, many purposes!!

• Advertisement

Sorry Ellavin I'm on my phone only see your post now .We all feel like that somewhere along the route,are you having a rough time?

I know Lucyfur it is off puttin,we came through the public system so he always seemed busy think in of the last couple or by he next couple . I know he was probably on top of his head but it is a sensitive issue . one of the times I seen his understudy I could hear the couple in the partitioned room talking about their problems
    I wasn't happy . my husband is happy enough to carry on with them but I'm hesitating . It's me who will have most dealings with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement