Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I think you need to be comfortable. I am also public at the moment, as the public and private lists were the same. It's only me being looked at for now as it's evident I can get pregnant...I think it's hugely important to be comfortable with your doctor x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Yeh so do I . I'm going to ring a woman I know tomorrow who's had ivf(twins).she said if I ever needed advice to ring her so ill see what she says.

Definitely do. It's great to talk to people in the same boat

Most definitely . I want her to tell me exactly what she went through!then nothing will be a surprise to me.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ellavin wrote: »
    Does anyone chat to anyone who didn't start the thread .. no one's seems to relate or try . Is there a different thread or what am confused yet there's an enthusiastic reply to other's .

Yep, just jump in, explain a bit about your ttc journey, or just to have a moan, or to ask a question, whatever you are comfortable with really. You can reply to whoever you like, sometimes there can be a couple of convos happening at the same time but you'll get the hang of it. :)

My two week wait begins. Not gonna count it down though. And I got an app (don't dare laugh, Penny!) I figured it would be good for recording my cycles historically. I found similar, in that my opk and physical signs for ovulation and app predictions didn't really correlate but in my case the app predicted earlier than the opks which I got a positive on about 2 days before the end of my supposed fertile period.

Still they are good for logging info to refer back to.

• Advertisement

I'm not doing any charting, OPK's, NOTHING this month. I think I'm around day 10.

I stopped all that awhile back . still know roughly where I'm at cos I have to for bloods and the likes . had acupuncture earlier on today so I should be well relaxed but I'm not for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Think I might order some OPKs and give it a go again next month again - I went a bit mad last time and was peeing on sticks every five minutes! Have been using an app to track my periods mostly and suppose after 11 months trying its time to step it up a gear.

Thing is I know I need to lose weight but don't seem to be able to keep any sort of motivation even though I desperately want to have a baby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Neyite wrote: »
    Yep, just jump in, explain a bit about your ttc journey, or just to have a moan, or to ask a question, whatever you are comfortable with really. You can reply to whoever you like, sometimes there can be a couple of convos happening at the same time but you'll get the hang of it. :)

My two week wait begins. Not gonna count it down though. And I got an app (don't dare laugh, Penny!) I figured it would be good for recording my cycles historically. I found similar, in that my opk and physical signs for ovulation and app predictions didn't really correlate but in my case the app predicted earlier than the opks which I got a positive on about 2 days before the end of my supposed fertile period.

Still they are good for logging info to refer back to.

I did though!:D:D
    Having worked (and still working) 3 of them and used the OPKs last month I say they're useful in a way of helping keep track of dates, symptoms you log, dates you have sex, etc. When they're not used as gospel truth they're great.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I'm not doing any charting, OPK's, NOTHING this month. I think I'm around day 10.

I think I am going to use them again this month. It will only be my second month using the clearblue one (prefer it as get animation, no peering to see if the line is a touch darker than the control or not, etc etc) and I'd like to see if my ovulation periods are around the same time this month as last.
    Think I might order some OPKs and give it a go again next month again - I went a bit mad last time and was peeing on sticks every five minutes! Have been using an app to track my periods mostly and suppose after 11 months trying its time to step it up a gear.

Thing is I know I need to lose weight but don't seem to be able to keep any sort of motivation even though I desperately want to have a baby
    :(

Its funny isn't it:) I weigh more now than I ever have in my whole life. I know its still not bad (I'm 5' 8" and weigh 150lbs) but its crept up because I haven't been exercising nearly enough. I have a healthy diet and not drink much at all and don't smoke so am a healthy creature but need to exercise. I'm working so hard though of late its very hard to be motivated when you get home - the evening slips away from you by the time you get home, make dinner, put washing on, iron if necessary, shower and bed.
    I know saying I don't have the time is the grown up excuse for "the dog ate my homework" and only I can make myself get off my (ever increasing) arse and go for a walk or whatever.
    Maybe we should have a TTC exercise group!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh "I've no time" is so easy to fall into isn't it?! In my case I really need to do something about it, my BMI is at the higher end of obese but I still can't get serious about it.

Where did you get your clearblue monitor? They look so dear :(

Oh "I've no time" is so easy to fall into isn't it?! In my case I really need to do something about it, my BMI is at the higher end of obese but I still can't get serious about it.

Where did you get your clearblue monitor? They look so dear :(

They're not cheap! I bought one in Boots that comes with 10 tests. I think it was €20 or €30. You wouldn't be buying them every single month but for last month and this month I decided to splash the cash.
    The main reason for this was that I'd bought the much cheaper strip tests on Amazon and was either using them incorrectly, got a few duds, or are going blind because I couldn't tell if the test line was actually the same colour or darker than the control line at all. It was wrecking my head and I then I'd started to wonder if I was actually ovulating at all. I thought that if I went for the digital option for 1 / 2 months I'd have my answer clearly indicated.
    As it now happens I've had the blood work (mostly) back from the GP and all seems to be in order. For my own interest I'm keen to see when the ovulation happens this month and if its around the same time as last month. Granted this could change as my acupuncturist is tinkering around with things too......

Sometimes my mind is like a compute screen that allows popups all over the place. My husband works in IT and in a bid to explain it to him I've said that, pops ups happen and thoughts flood in, windows have to be minimised or shut down:D:o

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They're not cheap! I bought one in Boots that comes with 10 tests. I think it was €20 or €30. You wouldn't be buying them every single month but for last month and this month I decided to splash the cash.
    The main reason for this was that I'd bought the much cheaper strip tests on Amazon and was either using them incorrectly, got a few duds, or are going blind because I couldn't tell if the test line was actually the same colour or darker than the control line at all. It was wrecking my head and I then I'd started to wonder if I was actually ovulating at all. I thought that if I went for the digital option for 1 / 2 months I'd have my answer clearly indicated.
    As it now happens I've had the blood work (mostly) back from the GP and all seems to be in order. For my own interest I'm keen to see when the ovulation happens this month and if its around the same time as last month. Granted this could change as my acupuncturist is tinkering around with things too......

Sometimes my mind is like a compute screen that allows popups all over the place. My husband works in IT and in a bid to explain it to him I've said that, pops ups happen and thoughts flood in, windows have to be minimised or shut down:D:o

Penny, I've started an App thread. It would be great if you could add your research to it!

Penny, I've started an App thread. It would be great if you could add your research to it!

Cool will do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

We've being ttc now nearly a year .. my period was 5 days late and then it spotted bit yesterday and was woke up in pain early in morning full flow now again so frustrating don't know what's going on with that :/ in fact its nit even full flow feel sick

We've being ttc now nearly a year .. my period was 5 days late and then it spotted bit yesterday and was woke up in pain early in morning full flow now again so frustrating don't know what's going on with that :/ in fact its nit even full flow feel sick

I'm sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is when you get your hopes up then dashed. I've been there for many a month.

Have you been doing pee-sticks or cycle monitoring? Or are you considering the next step - going to a GP to begin investigations? I've been through some of that process, so would be happy to give you whatever information I might have that you would find useful.

Thanks for your reply iv been reading previous post's of an app and I downloaded one there and yes I am going today to boots to get them.. I tried making doc app but they've none left today so be tomorrow.. my partner has got an app for himself he sees how much its gets to me each month am 22 year's old

Thanks for your reply iv been reading previous post's of an app and I downloaded one there and yes I am going today to boots to get them.. I tried making doc app but they've none left today so be tomorrow.. my partner has got an app for himself he sees how much its gets to me each month am 22 year's old

I'm almost at a year of TTC too. It has had its up and downs and some of those downs have been sheer drops! However the desire to a little one(s) of our own has the strongest power and makes you just keep on trying.
    I have found it helpful to have started acupuncture - whether it is actually helping or not time will tell and then there is no absolute proof that it was or will have been responsible for helping us have our baby. However I have found it helpful for other things in the past. More than anything though it is a time out from the world - its time just for me, quiet room, nice music, needles in the right places and relax........its lovely to press pause on everything for a while.
    I also was happy to have attended (and still am) my GP for basic bloods and a semen analysis for my husband. It has helped to rule out certain things.
    The way I look at it is there is more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes the cat skinning can be tedious, messy, less than straight forward but by hook or by crook that cat is getting skinned!

Its very important to look after all of yourself at any time not just TTC. Find something that works for you guys and make the most of it.

Well hopefully the doctor can help my partner today.. suppose this is a step.. it completely takes over your mind.. yeah id like to try acupuncture.. is there a stick for each day in them ovulation kits?

Well hopefully the doctor can help my partner today.. suppose this is a step.. it completely takes over your mind.. yeah id like to try acupuncture.. is there a stick for each day in them ovulation kits?

In the one I'm currently using you can buy a kit with either 10 or 20 tests in it. You start testing X amount of days into your cycle - the information leaflet gives you guidance on this as its worked out according to the length of your cycle. For instance mine is generally 33-39 days long so I start using them on CD 16 for a 34 day cycle (thats how long my last one was).
    This link (if using the clear blue ones) is helpful in working out when to start using them
    http://www.clearblueeasy.com/start-testing-with-clearblue-easy-ovulation-tests.php#hold

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link.. I see now what to do.. wonder what doc will say or do to partner he's abit nervous

Thanks for the link.. I see now what to do.. wonder what doc will say or do to partner he's abit nervous

For what its worth my conversation with the GP went along the lines of:
    We've been trying for a baby for a year. Came off the Pill December 12. Having sex frequently - sometimes life is life and not as often as we should but often enough over all for that not to be a problem.
    Health: fine - bloods taken to double check overall health
    Fertility family history - grand
    Drugs/alcohol/ - none
    First steps: take bloods for screening,semen analysis - results will determine next steps
    General Advice - don't stress about it, is counter productive - accept easier said than done but do what you can to counteract it.

My GP is very nice. I like him a lot, he is straight forward in his approach, answers questions without making you feel like he'd rather be doing anything else other than talking to you and is a nice ordinary man who understands why we'd like a baby. I hope your GP is nice too. If not then change to one you do like and feel happy with. I had been attending a different female GP in the same surgery and she was ok but a little cold at times and one time I was due to see her she'd been called away and I had to see the man I go to now. I much preferred him immediately and decided to swap on a permanent basis.

The gp will only do blood tests and maybe refer him to a clinic for a semen analysis if it gets that far. Usually there wouldnt be a physical exam.

My apps tomorrow morning.. my partners 31.. thanks for advice .. its not a think I can chat bout to my very "fertile friends

The gp will only do blood tests and maybe refer him to a clinic for a semen analysis if it gets that far. Usually there wouldnt be a physical exam.

Il let him know thanks

As well as the clearblue one, you can get cheap pee-sticks on the internet that I found good. The ones for sale in a chemist are very expensive.

These are the ones I usually get. Although I buy in bulk these days. :(

Thanks for advice ya'l .. I hope to get on track with it all il keep yas posted I on doc app x

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

I never tried any of those kits but did try mapping my temperature. It did follow a pattern so was easy to tell when I was ovulating but after a year ttc we went to our doctor. Because of our age we were told to come back if we had no luck after 6 months.
    We went back & were refered to a clinic. We discovered that we would need assistance to try and conceive.
    It was a fairly hard time and its very difficult for the person at "fault". Though we had agreed not to talk about that aspect because regardless neither of us could do it without the other. We underwent out first round of IVF in June and found out the start of July that it was unsuccessful. It was devastating and twice as hard when you are trying to act normal. We chose to tell only a few people.
    We have since done another round. I'm finding this round much harder physically than the first but 2 trys in 6 months were never going to be easy. I had my egg collection Sunday and have 4 embryos doing good so hopefully I'll have my transfer on Friday.
    This stage is the worst as all we can do is sit and wait.
    Trying to stay positive. Is hard this time of the year with lots going on. People can't understand why we're not out but even though you don't care about the money side it does leave a very big hole in your finances. I just hope that after getting my period on xmas eve the last 2 years this year will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

Last cycle was 32 days, though this is my first after my 'real' period. Ah I don't mind too much, we weren't planning on being pregnant before Christmas or anything, just a bit perplexed!

Finally getting some signs of ovulation today, on cycle day 23! Looks like my old trend of long cycles is returning, still at least something is happening!

• Advertisement

llambert wrote: »
    I never tried any of those kits but did try mapping my temperature. It did follow a pattern so was easy to tell when I was ovulating but after a year ttc we went to our doctor. Because of our age we were told to come back if we had no luck after 6 months.
    We went back & were refered to a clinic. We discovered that we would need assistance to try and conceive.
    It was a fairly hard time and its very difficult for the person at "fault". Though we had agreed not to talk about that aspect because regardless neither of us could do it without the other. We underwent out first round of IVF in June and found out the start of July that it was unsuccessful. It was devastating and twice as hard when you are trying to act normal. We chose to tell only a few people.
    We have since done another round. I'm finding this round much harder physically than the first but 2 trys in 6 months were never going to be easy. I had my egg collection Sunday and have 4 embryos doing good so hopefully I'll have my transfer on Friday.
    This stage is the worst as all we can do is sit and wait.
    Trying to stay positive. Is hard this time of the year with lots going on. People can't understand why we're not out but even though you don't care about the money side it does leave a very big hole in your finances. I just hope that after getting my period on xmas eve the last 2 years this year will be different.

I really hope this is your month. Its very isolating getting IVF and few people know how hard the process is, emotionally and physically, not to mention financially. The very very best of luck this cycle, and I hope your transfer goes perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement