Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

So partner was at gp and he said to ring hospital to tell them he's bringing up a SA does anyone know how long it can take

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Shouldn't take very long. SA needs to be done within the hour & kept at body temp so keep i just a pocket. Should have results in a few mins if he wants to wait. That's how our clinic worked.

Neyite wrote: »
    I really hope this is your month. Its very isolating getting IVF and few people know how hard the process is, emotionally and physically, not to mention financially. The very very best of luck this cycle, and I hope your transfer goes perfectly.

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ellavin wrote: »
    So partner was at gp and he said to ring hospital to tell them he's bringing up a SA does anyone know how long it can take

Presumably you mean how long the analysis takes and not how long your OH takes to produce it. ;)

Its usually done within an hour of the sample being produced from the body, as sperm begins to die after that. I know when we went to give the sample, himself went in at 10am, to produce it, and we were sitting with the consultant at 11am discussing the results. So its pretty quick.

But the doc said to bring it sample and all into hospital? We not at clinic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I rang this morning and made an appointment with my doctor for the morning. We've been trying for a year now, I'm 26 and OH is 27. Being very overweight I'm afraid she's just going to fob me off and tell me to lose weight :(

Feeling very unmotivated for everything at the minute and just generally meh even about Christmas, don't think I'm depressed as I don't feel generally as bad as I'd imagine people who have depression do but I certainly don't feel right

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

But the doc said to bring it sample and all into hospital? We not at clinic

Thats very strange. The lab needs a freshly produced sample in order to do a proper sperm count and assess motility. I'd ring the correct lab in the hospital then and get the exact requirements from them. It may be that you could drop the sample directly into the lab, not the GP?

Neyite wrote: »
    Thats very strange. The lab needs a freshly produced sample in order to do a proper sperm count and assess motility. I'd ring the correct lab in the hospital then and get the exact requirements from them. It may be that you could drop the sample directly into the lab, not the GP?

Yes that's what doc says to ring lab at hospital to arrange when to bring it.. so we just have to speed to hospital lmao!

Angeldelight welcome and sorry you feel like that its tough going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I rang this morning and made an appointment with my doctor for the morning. We've been trying for a year now, I'm 26 and OH is 27. Being very overweight I'm afraid she's just going to fob me off and tell me to lose weight :(

Feeling very unmotivated for everything at the minute and just generally meh even about Christmas, don't think I'm depressed as I don't feel generally as bad as I'd imagine people who have depression do but I certainly don't feel right

It wouldn't be fobbing off tbh. I was watching the fertility expert who did the Child Of Our Time programme (can never remember his name, has curly hair, glasses and a moustache) on This Morning, they invited people with fertility problems to phone in with questions. There were a few women who said they were very overweight (ones BMI was 35 to give an example) and he said the first thing to do is lose weight, because doing that alone often solves fertility problems, and that until that is done there is no point pursuing other options. He actually told one woman who was planning IVF not to do it until she had lost weight, as he felt she would be wasting her money, effort, etc.

• Advertisement

Our clinic said that even losing 10% body weight can have a big impact on your chances.
    Its difficult to get motivated but just think small steps.

Don't worry too much about the GP fobbing you off. Overweight people can and do get pregnant all the time. And thin people have infertility issues too. I'm a size 8 and have had issues in that area. Any other women I know who have had or are having infertility issues, the biggest of them is a 14/16. So while sometimes weight is a factor, a lot of times its something else entirely.

Sometimes weight issues can point to a hormonal imbalance that needs to be tweaked before your body can get pregnant. At the very least, you can be referred to an endocrinologist to rule out any PCOS, or thyroid issues that may be thwarting any good efforts you make with diet or exercise.

Start by getting your bloods done with the GP, and see if there is anything to be looked at closer there. If there is, ask for an endo/gynae referral.

Ultimately, its no wonder after a year and 12-13 unsuccessful cycles that you dont feel motivated. I certainly didnt, but once I began working with my GP it gave me a renewed sense of hope. :)

Angedelight do you know wat days you ovulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Angedelight do you know wat days you ovulate?

I used OPKs for two cycles but was getting a bit obsessed with them - I tended to ovulate around day 16 of a 28 day cycle.. since then my cycles have increased to 30 days, think I'll buy the Clearblue digital ovulation sticks once this cycle is over.

Neyite I think you're right, at least if I get bloods done I'll see if there's any glaring issues going on. Had low B12 before so if nothing else comes from tomorrow I can see how that's getting on!

I used OPKs for two cycles but was getting a bit obsessed with them - I tended to ovulate around day 16 of a 28 day cycle.. since then my cycles have increased to 30 days, think I'll buy the Clearblue digital ovulation sticks once this cycle is over.

Neyite I think you're right, at least if I get bloods done I'll see if there's any glaring issues going on. Had low B12 before so if nothing else comes from tomorrow I can see how that's getting on!

Yeah well I haven't tried them yet but my cycle be over soon am going get the clear blue also .. and my doc recommend me to get my bloods done too we will get through it all together ;-)

Yeah well I haven't tried them yet but my cycle be over soon am going get the clear blue also .. and my doc recommend me to get my bloods done too we will get through it all together ;-)

Think about tracking your temperature. A little bit more work as you have to do it in around same time everyday and unfortunately drinking can affect it but I found it pretty good. Less expensive than the kits. Plus if you go to acupunture they would prefer you did this also. Might not be for everyone but might be useful for couples with no explained reasons for not conceiving.

llambert wrote: »
    Think about tracking your temperature. A little bit more work as you have to do it in around same time everyday and unfortunately drinking can affect it but I found it pretty good. Less expensive than the kits. Plus if you go to acupunture they would prefer you did this also. Might not be for everyone but might be useful for couples with no explained reasons for not conceiving.

Thanks for reply Llambert would you just get them in chemist? And is it when its higher your ovulating? Best of luck this month too ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Thanks for reply Llambert would you just get them in chemist? And is it when its higher your ovulating? Best of luck this month too ♥

I found that you need a thermometer with 2 decimel places after the point, and that's not available in the chemist or is hard to find. Easier to order off the internet. Also re: the opks (ovulation predictor kits) if you don't want to splash out on the clearblue ones every month the ones off the internet just take a little getting use to but are grand after a while. When using them first, I'd recommend just use one every morning at around the same time, you'll soon get used to the pattern of lines. You will start seeing a faint line for a few days, then it gets darker, then it gets faint again. That's how you know you've ovulating (when you see the faint line one morning after having had a darker one the day before).

Our kitchen morning vitamin/supplement run!!

The Spirulina powder is the worst, it's so yock it has to be good for ya!

As it now happens I've had the blood work (mostly) back from the GP and all seems to be in order.

So your Day 3 results are back Penny, sounds like good news?! That's great.
    What was your Day 3 FSH?

• Advertisement

I got the decimal one in Boots. Think it was around €13. Yeah you're temperature would rise and once it drops off you have ovulated. You should get info online. After a cycle or two you should see a pattern. You have to take it before you get out of bed. Really depends on your lifestyle. I only used it for about 4 or 5 months but then gave up. Thanks, really hate the 5 days waiting, everyday they ring the embryos are less and less. Had 12 eggs, 8 fertilized, yesterday only 4 had divided as they should. Same happened last time and was lucky that I had one to transfer so fingers crossed.

[quote="llambert;87831856" Thanks, really hate the 5 days waiting, everyday they ring the embryos are less and less. Had 12 eggs, 8 fertilized, yesterday only 4 had divided as they should. Same happened last time and was lucky that I had one to transfer so fingers crossed.[/quote]

Lambert thanks for sharing your experience, can I ask if they did have 2 viable embryos would they put them both in? I was signing myself +himself up for local health insurance here in Europe last night and using Google translate to read the t+cs. With d basic cheapest insurance (88 each per month) we're entitled to 3 IVFs 'per pregnancy' but only covered if 1 embryo is transferred for a woman under 38

I was confused and surprised to read this as well as reading the complicated stipulations e.g. if on one of your goes you get pregnant (even if it ends in m/c ) then you are entitled to another 3 fresh goes or something like that.
    Reading about it in such stark terms made me start crying +then hyperventilating over dinner so I had to go and lie down halfway through the nice salmon and organic veg salad that my husb had just made for me ! :-/

I'm not sure about the insurance side. The insurance I looked at getting would give €1000 towards the cost but the health insurance was as much do didn't get it. Unsure how want times they would contribute.
    The clinic we are with looks at the quality of the embryos. If they have one super one they just put that in as it gives it the best chance of attached but would put in 2 if the quality isn't as good.
    On my last cycle the plan was to transfer one back in and freeze the remaining one but was lucky to get one to transfer in the end.

Lucuma wrote: »
    I was confused and surprised to read this as well as reading the complicated stipulations e.g. if on one of your goes you get pregnant (even if it ends in m/c ) then you are entitled to another 3 fresh goes or something like that.
    Reading about it in such stark terms made me start crying +then hyperventilating over dinner so I had to go and lie down halfway through the nice salmon and organic veg salad that my husb had just made for me ! :-/

I know its rough Lucuma. Its such a learning curve not to mention all the emotions you're going through. I use to spend all my appointments trying not to cry, was very unsuccessful! Its hard to take it all in but to be honest once we knew we'd need ivf I just focused on that. Its hard to stay away from Google but it frightened the life out of me. It was all abbreviations like a strange language. I did as my consultant said and just tried to relax. Its a tough journey so be good to yourself.

Best wishes to use on your journey one step a times eye's on prize as they say

Our kitchen morning vitamin/supplement run!!

The Spirulina powder is the worst, it's so yock it has to be good for ya!

My god thats a lot of stuff there whats the spirulina powder?

My god thats a lot of stuff there whats the spirulina powder?

Spirulina is algae (the green stuff you see growing in ponds +rivers) one of natures super foods apparently. We each have to take 3 teaspoons per day, Yock :-o
    I thought the powder (dissolved in a little warm water) would be easier than swallowing d big spirulina tablets but it's tough going!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Spirulina is algae (the green stuff you see growing in ponds +rivers) one of natures super foods apparently. We each have to take 3 teaspoons per day, Yock :-o
    I thought the powder (dissolved in a little warm water) would be easier than swallowing d big spirulina tablets but it's tough going!

Put it in a smoothie or homemade juice. It can be cleverly disguised with apple and ginger ;)

• Advertisement

llambert wrote: »
    I know its rough Lucuma. Its such a learning curve not to mention all the emotions you're going through. Its a tough journey so be good to yourself.

Thanks. Tbh at the moment I'm in a very low place :-( Feel like I've had bugger all time to prepare for this. I've gone from thinking I was married to Fertile Fred to facing IVF (IVF!!!) in less than 6 months. That's the 2nd time I've started hyperventilating at the thought of IVF in d last week.

I just wish this wasn't my life. When is someone going to wake me up & tell me ha ha, big joke this isn't happening to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement