Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

It might and could end up being a great night ............although I really doubt that. It would be a real work night out rather than a night out with your peers and people you work with if that makes any sense.
    I'd like to keep the money for myself and spend it on something I'd like rather than a duty night out. However I am concerned about how it would look if I don't put in an appearance.
    When did I get so old that Christmas parties are an endurance rather than something I looked forward to:):p:o

I'd call over to your house with tea, chipsticks, snowballs (I LOVE them), and we could watch great TV all night in our super comfy Friday evening clothes. :D:)

All if that's how you feel I wouldn't bother going. Who cares about what other people think. They alright think your a nutcase after the crying episode, bet your boss will be relieved not to her you, he he!!!!
    OMG you could be my sister, I just had one of those snowball's, the Caffery one in the individual wrapper, love them too. Then as I was on a roll had a cuppa & scone with jam and cream O:-) If your super comfy Friday evening clothes = pyjams & fluffy socks we definitely are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I rang the doc there to get my progesterone result from yest (CD 19) and it's 18.4. Wow it went from 35 on CD 18 to 18.4 a day later, I was lucky I caught the peak on CD18!

The sad thing about this though is now I know I'm not preg this month :-( I get a whole week's advance notice don't even have to wait for Aunt Flo next week.

Oh well I'll save a few euro on cheapie preg tests this cycle!

Thanks, I thought as much. No EWCM at all this month or twinges. Going to do a serious diet straight after Christmas as I have a gut feeling its all down to my weight. Well if this doesn't motivate me nothing will!

New year, new start! :o

While I think it's great that you're motivated to lose weight to help you get pregnant, it's always easier to lose weight when you feel positive and not that easy to lose it when you feel negative and are beating yourself up. So to make you feel better: I am a normal weight and in good health and it still took around 6 months off the pill before I got ewcm or a positive opk. I have not been able to identify any reason for this.

The way I see it is - we have been on the pill for so many years, it's like my ovaries forgot how to work. I mean in fairness, I prevent them from doing their normal job for approx 10 years (on and off) by putting hormones into my body. Then I stop and what? I expect them to just perform perfectly straight away! I think they just needed time to remember how to work. Now I have regular cycles, nice healthy periods and positive opk every month without fail (which has now been verified with ''day 21'' test as well :-)

So be hopeful, it will just take time for your ovaries to wake up. I did find that doing acupuncture and going on a nutrition plan was no harm though, I mean I can never prove if it's the reason I started ovulating but it gave me something to focus on, so at least I felt like I wasn't just sitting around waiting for things to sort themselves out! Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Lambert would you advise time off work after transfers?it was something I was wondering about as my work involves heavy lifting on a daily basis . I could probably disguise it with saying I've a sore back.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Not good news from my husbands GP yesterday I'm afraid. Low sperm count (8, should be at least 20). Motility etc fine, so I suppose its not all bad. Felt very down about it yesterday, especially since my own results aren't good either, but trying to be more positive today.

In some ways, maybe nothing has changed. We are probably looking at ivf now, but we may have been going in that direction regardless of his results. Also on the positive side, they checked the sperm to see if it would be suitable for the likes of ivf, icsi etc & it is apparently. So that's something. Think that is the extra check they do in Hari when compared with the standard rotunda test.

• Advertisement

bobskii wrote: »
    Lambert would you advise time off work after transfers?it was something I was wondering about as my work involves heavy lifting on a daily basis . I could probably disguise it with saying I've a sore back.

Well I didn't take time off the first time and never took any other time off in regard of any of this. But last time I was so stressed that I couldn't concentrate properly and was very emotional that this time I decided to just take it easy. Plus we said that we wouldn't do another cycle so really just wanted to give it the best shot.

Half regretting it now cos I'm bored to tears. Its really a personal choice though first few days they recommend you avoid anything too strenuous. The only good thing for me is that I feel worn out so at least this way I can have little naps!!

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Not good news from my husbands GP yesterday I'm afraid. Low sperm count (8, should be at least 20). Motility etc fine, so I suppose its not all bad. Felt very down about it yesterday, especially since my own results aren't good either, but trying to be more positive today.

In some ways, maybe nothing has changed. We are probably looking at ivf now, but we may have been going in that direction regardless of his results. Also on the positive side, they checked the sperm to see if it would be suitable for the likes of ivf, icsi etc & it is apparently. So that's something. Think that is the extra check they do in Hari when compared with the standard rotunda test.

Ah Tomee, I feel your pain :(.
    But on a positive note, motility and morphology were above the required levels? That means motility was above 50 by Hari standards, shur that's v.g. And morphology is very important so great that he passed that! 2 out of 3 ain't bad!! Focus on the positive (especially when you're talking to him, you know what male egos are like ;)

Any obvious things he could do like give up smoking or lose weight? Get him on the supplements as well, 'they're meant to make a big difference with SA. no harm to get in ship shape for IVF.

Lucuma wrote: »
    Ah Tomee, I feel your pain :(.
    But on a positive note, motility and morphology were above the required levels? That means motility was above 50 by Hari standards, shur that's v.g. And morphology is very important so great that he passed that! 2 out of 3 ain't bad!! Focus on the positive (especially when you're talking to him, you know what male egos are like ;)

Any obvious things he could do like give up smoking or lose weight? Get him on the supplements as well, 'they're meant to make a big difference with SA. no harm to get in ship shape for IVF.

I agree totally. It is upsetting news and your poor hubby is probably feeling very bad at the moment so definitely could for with the ego massage. The wellman supplements are very good and not too expensive so get him to give them a try.

But its not all bad news so try focus on the positive Tomee.

llambert wrote: »
    I agree totally. It is upsetting news and your poor hubby is probably feeling very bad at the moment so definitely could for with the ego massage. The wellman supplements are very good and not too expensive so get him to give them a try.

But its not all bad news so try focus on the positive Tomee.

Thanks everyone, I am trying to stay positive. The hubby is definitely a bit down about it, it was really unexpected. I think we both thought since I wasn't ovulating, that was it!

Anyway, I think he is going to try some of the supplements. He is a healthy weight, doesn't smoke and not a big drinker so there are no major changes to be made there. He will be going back for a repeat test in a few weeks so we'll see if there is any improvement.

Onwards and upwards! Just focusing now on the next step. The GP sent off the referral to Hari today - I actually thought it had been done a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping the wait isn't too long for our first appointment. At least it feels like things are moving now.

Fingers crossed for you llambert, you must be tearing your hair out waiting but hopefully you get the best christmas present ever!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I could be mistaken, but sperm count can be improved with supplements /dietary changes cant it? Maca and Zinc and the like?

Sperm boot camp time! I think if you search the thread, there was a conversation about improving swimmers.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but sperm count can be improved with supplements /dietary changes cant it? Maca and Zinc and the like?

Sperm boot camp time! I think if you search the thread, there was a conversation about improving swimmers.

Thanks Neyite, will look into that. Never thought it would be something I'd be frantically googling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

All if that's how you feel I wouldn't bother going. Who cares about what other people think. They alright think your a nutcase after the crying episode, bet your boss will be relieved not to her you, he he!!!!
    OMG you could be my sister, I just had one of those snowball's, the Caffery one in the individual wrapper, love them too. Then as I was on a roll had a cuppa & scone with jam and cream O:-) If your super comfy Friday evening clothes = pyjams & fluffy socks we definitely are related.

So I didn't go in the end. The afternoon went to the dogs with my boss who is behaving like a total diva. It took all my strength to bite my tongue and not tell him to go f**k himself. I think my core body temperature must have risen by a few degrees with all of the anger swallowing.
    Anyhow home now, glass of wine, relaxing.
    One more week at work and then off for Christmas

So I didn't go in the end. The afternoon went to the dogs with my boss who is behaving like a total diva. It took all my strength to bite my tongue and tell him to go f**k himself. I think my core body temperature must have risen by a few degrees with all of the anger swallowing.
    Anyhow home now, glass of wine, relaxing.
    One more week at work and then off for Christmas

Good woman yourself you did right!! Enjoy that glass of wine you deserve it. I'd bloody love a glass, its funny though on the lists of don'ts they give after the transfer its not on it but I guess they assume its a given :-)
    Think I'll be having a bad evening myself, feel like I'm going to erupt when OH FINALLY gets home. He works hard but its ridiculous how little he's been here this week. Just feel like I'm on my own in this at the moment. I know it sounds stupid but his life continues on and he's got promotion in work etc where my life is on hold for last 3 years. Been half ridiculous but that won't save him from an ear bashing!!

Good woman yourself you did right!! Enjoy that glass of wine you deserve it. I'd bloody love a glass, its funny though on the lists of don'ts they give after the transfer its not on it but I guess they assume its a given :-)
    Think I'll be having a bad evening myself, feel like I'm going to erupt when OH FINALLY gets home. He works hard but its ridiculous how little he's been here this week. Just feel like I'm on my own in this at the moment. I know it sounds stupid but his life continues on and he's got promotion in work etc where my life is on hold for last 3 years. Been half ridiculous but that won't save him from an ear bashing!!

I know what you mean. Over the past few years I've let plenty of opportunities at work pass me by because of everything that's been going on whereas my husband has been progressing constantly in work. Pregnancies, miscarriages & ttc have taken a physical toll on me, while his life hasn't been effected as much. Then again I've genuinely lost interest in my career & it'll be worth it all in the end to become a mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I know what you mean. Over the past few years I've let plenty of opportunities at work pass me by because of everything that's been going on whereas my husband has been progressing constantly in work. Pregnancies, miscarriages & ttc have taken a physical toll on me, while his life hasn't been effected as much. Then again I've genuinely lost interest in my career & it'll be worth it all in the end to become a mum.

I could easily do the same too. The carry on in the office this week especially today really made me want to say, " go to hell, I just don't care about this at all AND you, Mr. Boss, you're such a prima Donna"!!
    Unfortunately the bills don't pay themselves and somehow I'll figure out a way to tell him to back off and cop on without a) swearing and b) getting fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Don't want to go to bed tonight, due on tomorrow and I already feel sad

Same as that . altho it's kinda here already but will b full on tomorrow plus I've a stupid exam to do . Sunday is gonna be a pj day for sure.

Same as that . altho it's kinda here already but will b full on tomorrow plus I've a stupid exam to do . Sunday is gonna be a pj day for sure.

It's crap isn't it :( good luck with your exam!

indignities is rite,nothing like a thermometer stuck up yonder first thing in the morning eh!.

Quite! My husband's reaction was 'it gives a whole new meaning to you having a hot ass'. Male humour! :p

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, I am trying to stay positive. The hubby is definitely a bit down about it, it was really unexpected. I think we both thought since I wasn't ovulating, that was it!

Anyway, I think he is going to try some of the supplements. He is a healthy weight, doesn't smoke and not a big drinker so there are no major changes to be made there. He will be going back for a repeat test in a few weeks so we'll see if there is any improvement.

Men with low sperm count can conceive - shur ye've conceived twice in the last few years.

The 2nd Hari test is just to confirm the first one wasn't a rogue test I think (also another way for them to get another 120 euro off you :eek:) my hubby's were about 6 weeks apart I think and he went on a healthy diet & general wellman vitamin supplement during those 6 weeks but there was negligable difference really for count (3 in the first test, 4 in the second)

Apparently it takes 3 months for a man's body to produce sperm so changes you make now, won't be seen in the SA til 3 months time.

However his motility showed an improvement even just after the 6 weeks of healthy eating which I thought was encouraging.

I saw what you mean about the Hari result sheet, on the rhs there's a section where they prepare a washed sample and depending on the count of that one, they say if it's above 5 you're suitalbe for IUI/IVF but if it's below 5 you have to get ICSI. My fella got 0.1 in that one.

One of the reasons I'm so peed off we have to repeat all our tests again is that hubby has to go in and give, yet another!, SA next week in the clinic over here in the country we work in, and it hasn't been 3 months since we started the fertility code nutrition plan so I'm not expecting the results to be drastically different. On both occassions when we received his SA it was very traumatic and now we'll have to go through it again a 3rd time!:mad:

I was saying to him he's doing so many SA now soon he'll be able to write reviews like which hospitals have the best mags etc :P:D

Lucuma wrote: »
    Men with low sperm count can conceive - shur ye've conceived twice in the last few years.

The 2nd Hari test is just to confirm the first one wasn't a rogue test I think (also another way for them to get another 120 euro off you :eek:) my hubby's were about 6 weeks apart I think and he went on a healthy diet & general wellman vitamin supplement during those 6 weeks but there was negligable difference really for count (3 in the first test, 4 in the second)

Apparently it takes 3 months for a man's body to produce sperm so changes you make now, won't be seen in the SA til 3 months time.

However his motility showed an improvement even just after the 6 weeks of healthy eating which I thought was encouraging.

I saw what you mean about the Hari result sheet, on the rhs there's a section where they prepare a washed sample and depending on the count of that one, they say if it's above 5 you're suitalbe for IUI/IVF but if it's below 5 you have to get ICSI. My fella got 0.1 in that one.

One of the reasons I'm so peed off we have to repeat all our tests again is that hubby has to go in and give, yet another!, SA next week in the clinic over here in the country we work in, and it hasn't been 3 months since we started the fertility code nutrition plan so I'm not expecting the results to be drastically different. On both occassions when we received his SA it was very traumatic and now we'll have to go through it again a 3rd time!:mad:

I was saying to him he's doing so many SA now soon he'll be able to write reviews like which hospitals have the best mags etc :P:D

That's crazy that they are making your hubby do yet another SA test! You wonder why they can't accept the two sets of results that he already has. Didn't realise your husband got 0.1 in the test to see suitability for IVF/ISCI. I wonder if that result will improve over time with diet/supplements, although if it hasn't been 3 months yet then the next result may not show the effects of changes in diet yet.

You are right - men with low sperm count can conceive and we have of course conceived twice before. The doctor even said that his sperm count was probably low then too, so clearly it can be done. I don't know what has changed since then with me, as I used to be confident that I was ovulating most months but now it seems that I rarely ovulate for some reason. I suppose the low sperm count coupled with that has just made things a bit harder for us. I also think the low sperm count has effected my husband's self esteem a little - he says that he feels like more of a dud than a stud these days :(

Got my period bang on time this morning :( am crippled with cramps which I never get just to add to my misery. So flippin peed off

Same here,altho I ran earlier that always eases my cramps mental as it sounds.

Same here,altho I ran earlier that always eases my cramps mental as it sounds.

Bobskii and Angel, sorry to hear that. Hope the worst of the cramps are over by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

Bobskii and angeldelight, we must be synced cos mine arrived yesterday too!! One the bright side, we can have a few glasses of wine at Christmas...

Lol I was thinkin that yesterday!!yes that's the plan enjoy this Christmas before I head down the ivf route in January!

Lol I was thinkin that yesterday!!yes that's the plan enjoy this Christmas before I head down the ivf route in January!

I've heard of menstrual cycles being in sync for women who live together, but over the internet is a new one for me!

Bobskii enjoy the few drinks this Christmas & hopefully early next year you'll be off the drink for a very good reason ;)

That's crazy that they are making your hubby do yet another SA test! You wonder why they can't accept the two sets of results that he already has. Didn't realise your husband got 0.1 in the test to see suitability for IVF/ISCI. I wonder if that result will improve over time with diet/supplements, although if it hasn't been 3 months yet then the next result may not show the effects of changes in diet yet.

You are right - men with low sperm count can conceive and we have of course conceived twice before. The doctor even said that his sperm count was probably low then too, so clearly it can be done. I don't know what has changed since then with me, as I used to be confident that I was ovulating most months but now it seems that I rarely ovulate for some reason. I suppose the low sperm count coupled with that has just made things a bit harder for us. I also think the low sperm count has effected my husband's self esteem a little - he says that he feels like more of a dud than a stud these days :(

What did your hub score in the rhs of the page HARI test? Over 5? In which case maybe ye could try IUI, be nice not to have to go straight to IVF. I wish we could try IUI but nope, straight to the petri dish for us looks like!

I hear ya on both of ye getting bad test results back, it's a very hard blow. Kind of like being in a collision with a bus, takes time to recover from the impact of double bad news. And it's hard to be positive and try to buoy your husband up when you're feeling like absolute sh!t yourself. They see that you are upset which makes them feel worse and so it goes on.

Take time to asorb the news and cry if you want to, drown your sorrows do whatever you need to. I know I did after I got my hubby's results! Now I don't feel so bad when I think about them, I'm sure we can fight this thing and win, we have to be able to!

• Advertisement

Ha if that was the case here we would have a week per month with a whole lot of crazy on boards!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement