Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

So GP called with Day 21 blood results and they seem to be bad/ not great.
    The progesterone level was 5.8 and they like the level to be 5.3 - 86 on Day 21.

I reminded him that my Day 21 was not 7 DPO but rather 2/3 as my LH surge came on CD 10 and hit its peak on CD 14/15.
    I also reminded him that I did tell him this before he drew the blood.
    He is gone off to talk to another doctor in the practice and will ring me back.

So now my head is wrecked. I will be 7 DPO on Sunday so obviously no bloods can be taken then.
    This means I'm definitely not pregnant I assume?
    I have no idea what an average 2/3 DPO level of progesterone is.

So clever knowledge filled ladies whats your take on this?

Penny, is your GP open on Monday? That would be pretty close to day 21. I think days 20 and 22 are generally ok instead of day 21.

While I'm not sure exactly what levels to expect 2 or 3 days post ovulation, I'm pretty sure its fairly "low" so I wouldn't worry too much about the result you got. Hopefully when your GP gets back to you, he'll have a bit more information for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Penny, is your GP open on Monday? That would be pretty close to day 21. I think days 20 and 22 are generally ok instead of day 21.

While I'm not sure exactly what levels to expect 2 or 3 days post ovulation, I'm pretty sure its fairly "low" so I wouldn't worry too much about the result you got. Hopefully when your GP gets back to you, he'll have a bit more information for you.

Thanks:) You know if it wasn't for this forum and all of you lovely posters I think I'd have either a) lost my reason this week or b) you'd be reading about me on the Journal.ie for having bitch slapped my boss into oblivion.

I think I will suggest that I get bloods taken again on Monday. Will do that when he calls back.

You know one of those days when all you want to do is go home and get back into bed?...............this one of those. 2 more hours though and then I can!
    The lack of knowledge and waiting is so very frustrating.

Thanks:) You know if it wasn't for this forum and all of you lovely posters I think I'd have either a) lost my reason this week or b) you'd be reading about me on the Journal.ie for having bitch slapped my boss into oblivion.

I think I will suggest that I get bloods taken again on Monday. Will do that when he calls back.

You know one of those days when all you want to do is go home and get back into bed?...............this one of those. 2 more hours though and then I can!
    The lack of knowledge and waiting is so very frustrating.

Also Penny, just to put your results in context. Mine have always been less than 2 around day 21. My GP said this is the sort of level expected before ovulation. Your level is higher so it would seem that your progesterone did rise after ovulation. It tends to rise slowly at first & I think the test was probably just done too early.

You might also remember Lucuma a few pages back saying that her Irish GP described her day 21 results as a waste of time, since they were taken on the wrong day.

So the message is, don't panic yet! Good luck getting through the rest of the day at work!! Your boss sounds like a right so & so!

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Also Penny, just to put your results in context. Mine have always been less than 2 around day 21. My GP said this is the sort of level expected before ovulation. Your level is higher so it would seem that your progesterone did rise after ovulation. It tends to rise slowly at first & I think the test was probably just done too early.

You might also remember Lucuma a few pages back saying that her Irish GP described her day 21 results as a waste of time, since they were taken on the wrong day.

So the message is, don't panic yet! Good luck getting through the rest of the day at work!! Your boss sounds like a right so & so![/QUOTE]

He is a right.....well it rhymes with "night". You get the idea:)

GP just called and asked me back for more bloods on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Yeh penny I remember getting bloods done day22 for day 21 doc said it would be fine . so don't lose heart just yet.
    your boss sounds like a right tool!:D

• Advertisement

Thank you ladies! I'm off home now for Christmas. Its nice to know that I'm well shot of the lot of them for almost 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Ah Penny, shur we told you it was far too early for you to take that test, there was no talking to you at the time though! :p

Just disregard those results. After ovulation your progesterone starts to rise, then it peaks, then it falls. If you get it taken during the ''rise'' or during the ''fall' then it won't be the correct value that it should be for post ovulation.

I was hoping to spare you from going through this by giving you the benefit of my experience learned the hard way hence why I suggested you wait, coz this exact same thing happened to me - got the test done on the wrong day, freaked myself out thinking I had ''failed'' the test.

You haven't failed anything! You just did the test on the wrong day, simple as.

As for it showing whether you're pregnant or not - this test, taken before the peak, can't show whether your pregnant or not. It's inconclusive on that front. If the test was taken after the peak, and it showed progesterone hadn't fallen and was remaining elevated, that is an indicator of pregnancy. Test taken before the peak doesn't show anything one way or the other.

You could end up having several goes before you hit the peak day, pity you couldn't go in today. You said your period is due the 27/28th right? That's a week away now, and it's roughly a week since you ovulated so today would be closer than Monday I'd say - I'm only saying that because if it's below 30 on Monday it could mean that you missed the peak and it's already on the way back down. So that doesn't conclusively prove anything either. The way I would look at it is - if it comes back higher than 30 on Monday happy days. If it doesn't it could just be cause you already peaked and it was on its way back down, so next month try and hit the peak day. But hopefully on Monday it will be over 30 then you can just forget about it!

llambert wrote: »
    Don't worry all that is seemingly normal. Well from the books saying that so does my mother who is probably now rushing up on her pregnancy advice skills after filling her head up on ivf stuff.

My mother is a real minder anyway but think I'll be twice a spoiled this year. She have my Dad running around after me, he'll be thinking of lost the use of my limbs :-)
    Hope you have a safe journey hone x x

Thanks :) My mother collected me from the airport and I told her in the car, she was shocked/delighted for me! It was really nice actually. She dropped me to the GP. So...the GP had rang the Cork Fertility Clinic and they said they wouldn't prescribe progesterone in this circumstance. Then she rang one of the consultants at the Cork Maternity Hospital and they said a few things. They said that my low AMH result is not an indicator for how my pregnancy is going to go (phew!). They said that my progesterone level of 18 measured one week ago wouldn't raise alarm bells for them, and they said they wouldn't routinely prescribe progesterone in this instance. Then she told them that this a 'real pressure pregnancy' (I assume she meant coz of my low AMH and hubby's poor SA) and they said go ahead and prescribe progesterone.

So she has in fact prescribed progesterone for me after all, for the first 12 weeks. It's a pessary, bit icky & messy but hey I won't complain, glad to have it! My GP is a ledge, really appreciate her willingness to think outside the box and go over and above the call of duty I have to say :)

Funny, I came out of GP's surgery after having all that modern medicine and technology applied to help my pregnancy along, and was met by my Mam who told me she was after lighting a candle for me and dragged me into the church to say a few prayers with her for the pregnancy. She was after lighting the candle on the altar of St. Mary of childbirth no less! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Very quiet in here! Is everybody all set for Christmas? I can't wait for hubby to be finished up in work, I had my last day in work on Saturday. His last day is today, I got a Nandos voucher from the girls in work for my birthday so think we're going there tonight, yum!

Cycle day 10 for me so started using my CB digital meter today, low fertility as expected, can't wait to see otherwise!

Had bloods taken again today. Results will be back on Friday. Interested to see what the progesterone levels are this time around.

• Advertisement

My sister in law booked her wedding today for September. Very happy for her but just realised if we were successful this cycle I'd be due two days after the wedding which would be at the other end of the country. A little bit torn about what to do this month

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My sister in law booked her wedding today for September. Very happy for her but just realised if we were successful this cycle I'd be due two days after the wedding which would be at the other end of the country. A little bit torn about what to do this month

Go for it. I had the same dilemma with my sister. I had even asked her if she wanted me to skip trying that cycle but she wouldn't hear of it. It was a long shot anyway, not a sniff of a pregnancy for 28 cycles so it was hardly likely I'd get duffed that month, wouldnt ya think?

:D

My due date ended up being seven days after her wedding, and I gave birth 8 days after. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Lol Neyite just typical!!
    I agree though,I wouldn't put my plans on hold for anyone!that sounds selfish but as they say time and tide wait for no man or woman :D

Neyite wrote: »
    Go for it. I had the same dilemma with my sister. I had even asked her if she wanted me to skip trying that cycle but she wouldn't hear of it. It was a long shot anyway, not a sniff of a pregnancy for 28 cycles so it was hardly likely I'd get duffed that month, wouldnt ya think?

:D

My due date ended up being seven days after her wedding, and I gave birth 8 days after. No regrets.

Ha it's totally irrational but part of me is thinking seeing as it's the "least best" month for me to get pregnant there's more chance of it happening!

I think you're both right though, in the grand scheme of things this is so hugely important to us I'm sure she'd understand...

Had bloods taken again today. Results will be back on Friday. Interested to see what the progesterone levels are this time around.

I also gave blood today and also get results Friday! Very nervous as doc is checking if my Hcg level rose over d wknd, to see if d preg is progressing or not. Anyway nothing for it now except enjoy sober well behaved Xmas and hope for d best!
    My right inner elbow is battered & bruised, I am growing to hate ppl sticking needles in me, ouch!

Neyite wrote: »

:-) were you bridesmaid?!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucuma wrote: »
    :-) were you bridesmaid?!

Initially yes, then the mammy said she'd be worried that I was doing so much when I needed resting, so I stepped down. But it was the right thing to do in the end. Couldn't go on the hen either. It kinda sucked but when the baby was here I didn't give two hoots about missing out.

Had a flashing smiley face today on the CB monitor - only my second day of using it and cycle day 11. I tend I have 30 day cycles recently and months ago when I had a 28 day cycle the online cheapie OPKs were positive on day 16 so I'm confused!

Had a flashing smiley face today on the CB monitor - only my second day of using it and cycle day 11. I tend I have 30 day cycles recently and months ago when I had a 28 day cycle the online cheapie OPKs were positive on day 16 so I'm confused!

Your OH is going to have a happy Xmas eve then! :D;)

Happy Christmas to all you girls !!! Hope ye have a good one.

Stickybean - drop us a line to let us know how you're getting on!
    x

Merry Christmas ladies!! It's my birthday tomorrow and am hoping it's my last one without happy birthday mammy card! xxx

• Advertisement

Merry Christmas ladies!! It's my birthday tomorrow and am hoping it's my last one without happy birthday mammy card! xxx

Happy birthday!

I also gave blood today and also get results Friday! Very nervous as doc is checking if my Hcg level rose over d wknd, to see if d preg is progressing or not. Anyway nothing for it now except enjoy sober well behaved Xmas and hope for d best!
    My right inner elbow is battered & bruised, I am growing to hate ppl sticking needles in me, ouch!

Hope everyone had a happy Christmas! It has been pretty quiet here - presumably we've all been too busy having fun!

Good luck with the blood test results tomorrow ladies.

I'm awaiting my GP to call with latest progesterone results.
    Boobs are killing me. Period due today too.
    No sign yet so so far hope springs eternal.
    Visiting in laws at the moment and would love to be at home instead. One more night and then back to my own lovely house!!

I'm awaiting my GP to call with latest progesterone results.
    Boobs are killing me. Period due today too.
    No sign yet so so far hope springs eternal.
    Visiting in laws at the moment and would love to be at home instead. One more night and then back to my own lovely house!!

Fingers crossed! Do you normally get sore boobs?

Today is my fourth day of flashing smiley on the CB digital ovulation sticks, rather annoying! We just got home after spending two days in my parents and one night in hubby's parents... Was like being naughty teenagers all over again!

Fingers crossed! Do you normally get sore boobs?

Today is my fourth day of flashing smiley on the CB digital ovulation sticks, rather annoying! We just got home after spending two days in my parents and one night in hubby's parents... Was like being naughty teenagers all over again!

If it works you'll have to call it Noelle/Noel :P

4 days in a row flashing smiley! That must mean very high LH levels I'm guessing.

The GP rang with my blood results, they are all good she said. The Hcg should double every day she was saying. Blood taken last Fri was 1 hundred and something, and blood taken on Monday was 8 hundred and something so she said all good and she said ''Congratulations, you are now officially just normally preganant!'

Can't believe it to be honest, the whole thing seems way too good to be true.
    Hope it gives hope to others with extremely low AMH/low sperm count and low morphology :)

My mother is trying to talk me out of getting an early scan at 8 weeks, she was saying what if the scan damages the foetus and what's the use of it anyway? It's not going to prevent anything, it can't help if something is going to go wrong. Hmm, not sure. It satisfies my curiousity by 1 month (normal 1st scan is 12 weeks) that's all it does basically. Maybe I should take her advice, calm down and relax.

The GP rang with my blood results, they are all good she said. The Hcg should double every day she was saying. Blood taken last Fri was 1 hundred and something, and blood taken on Monday was 8 hundred and something so she said all good and she said ''Congratulations, you are now officially just normally preganant!'

Can't believe it to be honest, the whole thing seems way too good to be true.
    Hope it gives hope to others with extremely low AMH/low sperm count and low morphology :)

My mother is trying to talk me out of getting an early scan at 8 weeks, she was saying what if the scan damages the foetus and what's the use of it anyway? It's not going to prevent anything, it can't help if something is going to go wrong. Hmm, not sure. It satisfies my curiousity by 1 month (normal 1st scan is 12 weeks) that's all it does basically. Maybe I should take her advice, calm down and relax.

That's great news Lucuma, congratulations! It definitely gives hope to know that it can happen naturally even with low sperm count and low AMH.

Hard to know about the scan. Never heard of a scan damaging the baby, but I take the point of it not preventing anything. If it puts your mind at ease and stops you from worrying/stressing then that's not a bad thing. If you do go, just make sure not to go too early as it can be distressing if they can't find a heartbeat - you then start worrying and not knowing if there is something wrong or it's simply too early. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Haha we were saying we could go the Beckham route and call the child after it was conceived - don't think the parents would be too impressed :o

Lucuma that is such great news - when's your due date? Delighted for you, now you need to try and enjoy being pregnant with your baba!

Lucuma, an early scan won't damage the baby. It's not possible. But it would put your mind a bit at rest to hear a heartbeat, and to ensure its implanted in the right place. As well as that, you'd need to wait until 20 weeks for any anomaly issues to be diagnosed.

After so long ttc my 7 and 9 week scan made it real for me so I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement

So th GP called and said my progesterone level was 50. A big leap from 5.8 as they were last time. He said that everything seems to be working as it should be and to keep doing the baby dance for another 2/3 months. If nothing has happened by then to get in touch and we'll take next steps but so far he can't see why reason it shouldn't.
    No sign of my period yet either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement