Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

So th GP called and said my progesterone level was 50. A big leap from 5.8 as they were last time. He said that everything seems to be working as it should be and to keep doing the baby dance for another 2/3 months. If nothing has happened by then to get in touch and we'll take next steps but so far he can't see why reason it shouldn't.
    No sign of my period yet either.

Well that's a good sign! When are you going to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Well that's a good sign! When are you going to test?

Monday I think...... If I can hold on that long. I'm trying not to hope too much and just find out I had a longer cycle than last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Lucuma that is such great news - when's your due date? Delighted for you, now you need to try and enjoy being pregnant with your baba!

Ah cheers! Due date (can't believe I'm writing those words here) is 31st Aug/01 Sept depending on who you ask.

Neyite thanks for the feedback, you'd almost sway me to have an early one! Will have a think about it over the next few days.Each scan is a day off work &flights over and back as well so that's something to consider as well.

Penny, you must be delighted with that high prog result! Very positive news

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

So th GP called and said my progesterone level was 50. A big leap from 5.8 as they were last time. He said that everything seems to be working as it should be and to keep doing the baby dance for another 2/3 months. If nothing has happened by then to get in touch and we'll take next steps but so far he can't see why reason it shouldn't.
    No sign of my period yet either.

That's great Penny, just goes to show the importance of getting the "day 21" test done on the right day. Hopefully this is your month anyway, good luck ;)

Lucuma wrote: »
    Ah cheers! Due date (can't believe I'm writing those words here) is 31st Aug/01 Sept depending on who you ask.

Neyite thanks for the feedback, you'd almost sway me to have an early one! Will have a think about it over the next few days.Each scan is a day off work &flights over and back as well so that's something to consider as well.

Penny, you must be delighted with that high prog result! Very positive news
    TomeeTipee wrote: »
    That's great Penny, just goes to show the importance of getting the "day 21" test done on the right day. Hopefully this is your month anyway, good luck ;)

Thanks girls. Boobs still killing me and no period yet. Trying not to hope too much. It's proving very difficult to hold off from testing until Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Hey girls. Great to see some good news here. Think I accidentally flagged someone's comment.......don't know what that does but apologies I'm half dead with lack of sleep.
    Lucuma my clinic are giving me an early scan. I'll be almost 8 weeks. Till then I still won't believe that it worked and we're having a baby. My hubby is more wound up now than during the treatment. He's terrified something will go wrong and can't believe we are finally here. Think it will be awhile before he comes near me again, the poor cratur. Wish he'd just relax but I'm hoping the early scan will put his mind at ease. Is there no where in the country you're in that you could get it done?
    Angel delighted you're seen smiley faces. Ha ha can imagine the sneaking around but just it can help take the pressure off!!
    Penny I'm keeping everything crossed for you and its great that you got the reassurance from your doctor that things seem fine. I really hope this is your month x x

llambert wrote: »
    Hey girls. Great to see some good news here. Think I accidentally flagged someone's comment.......don't know what that does but apologies I'm half dead with lack of sleep.
    Lucuma my clinic are giving me an early scan. I'll be almost 8 weeks. Till then I still won't believe that it worked and we're having a baby. My hubby is more wound up now than during the treatment. He's terrified something will go wrong and can't believe we are finally here. Think it will be awhile before he comes near me again, the poor cratur. Wish he'd just relax but I'm hoping the early scan will put his mind at ease. Is there no where in the country you're in that you could get it done?
    Angel delighted you're seen smiley faces. Ha ha can imagine the sneaking around but just it can help take the pressure off!!
    Penny I'm keeping everything crossed for you and its great that you got the reassurance from your doctor that things seem fine. I really hope this is your month x x
    So I caved and tested and got a negative. Alls not lost though as I did test too early I just couldn't help myself!!
    According to the pink pad app my period was due two days ago and with the lady timer app it's due tomorrow. Either way I have no sign of my period (apart from killer boobs that could be PMS either) and so I'm ok with the negative test for today.
    Fingers crossed !!

Delighted to hear the rest of you are doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petalchild

Fingers crossed for you Penny! I am useless at waiting to test- think I have shares in preg tests at this stage! The waiting kills me more than a neg test!

I am using the CB OPK and got a O in the morning but I knew something was up and Took another that afternoon and went straight to full smiley skipping any flashing smileys at all- just shows how much your tuned into your body when your TTC!! smiley faces arrived when I was in my mothers house too- queue much feeling like a teenager over Christmas! Do we ever grow up?!? On the plus side tho thinking that it will be some story if it happens this month! 😉

So I caved and tested and got a negative. Alls not lost though as I did test too early I just couldn't help myself!!
    According to the pink pad app my period was due two days ago and with the lady timer app it's due tomorrow. Either way I have no sign of my period (apart from killer boobs that could be PMS either) and so I'm ok with the negative test for today.
    Fingers crossed !!

Delighted to hear the rest of you are doing so well.

Its hard not too give in, I'd be the same. On my sisters first she had both positive and negative tests at home. When she went to her GP their test was negative but she was pregnant so just goes to show!

Hi Penny, that's disappointing for the moment but you never know. On the evening I got the BFP I had done a cheapie that morning before work and threw it away as a negative, after I got the positive that evening I fished that cheapie from that morning out of the bin and there was actually in fact, a very, very, very faint line on it that I hadn't hung around for long enough to see before work! So don't forget that aspect as well, in the early stages it can take a good while for the line to appear.

• Advertisement

Got my solid smiley face this morning on cycle day 16 - last time I used OPKs I also got a positive on day 16 so I must ovulate day 17/18.. Which would give me quite a short Luteal phase if my cycles were still 28 days so now I'm hoping they stay at 30! Still short but every little bit would help...

I'm awful for pregnancy tests too, bought my last few from Dealz. 2 tests for 1.49!

Got my solid smiley face this morning on cycle day 16 - last time I used OPKs I also got a positive on day 16 so I must ovulate day 17/18.. Which would give me quite a short Luteal phase if my cycles were still 28 days so now I'm hoping they stay at 30! Still short but every little bit would help...

I'm awful for pregnancy tests too, bought my last few from Dealz. 2 tests for 1.49!

If I don't get hold of myself soon I'm going to have to start buying the tests on special offer too! I'm hugely responsible for the Clear Blue profits at this stage.

Oops double post

Happy New Year everyone!
    I had the quietest one ever on my own in front of the box, OH with his family for it (and I didn't fancy the drive up) all my family away or out. Didn't mind though, have partied (more than!!) enuf, totally ready to move onto something else now.

Any news Penny?

Happy New Year everyone!
    I had the quietest one ever on my own in front of the box, OH with his family for it (and I didn't fancy the drive up) all my family away or out. Didn't mind though, have partied (more than!!) enuf, totally ready to move onto something else now.

Any news Penny?

Hi I had a quiet New Years too. Had a few friends over for snacks and drinks.....I had a glass of prosecco and water for most of the evening.
    No period still and still have very tender boobs but the pregnancy test that I took yesterday was negative. So now I'm not sure what to make of the situation. Leaning towards not being pregnant for the sake of my sanity but hope is still sneaking in.
    I have another fertility acupuncture appointment on Friday and if I still don't have my period by then and the tests are still negative I'll have a chat with him about that. It will be CD 39 at that stage which is the longest cycle I'll ever have had if I'm not pregnant.
    Considering making an appointment with the GP next week if still no period.

That's a pity about the neg test yeaterday :-(
    How many days were in your last 3 cycles? I know the period app I use calculates my average based on the last 3.

That's a pity about the neg test yeaterday :-(
    How many days were in your last 3 cycles? I know the period app I use calculates my average based on the last 3.

So far I'm ok about the negative test. No period =no confirmation of bad news. My last cycle was 33 days the one before that 36 and before that 31. The pink pad ap that I've been using (4 days late according to its calculations) averages my cycle out at 33 days.

Annoying! So it could be another 36 day one or similar or...you could be pregnant. And every cycle those 2 possibilities are there if it goes over the average. Head-wrecking!
    Fingers x'd for you

Annoying! So it could be another 36 day one or similar or...you could be pregnant. And every cycle those 2 possibilities are there if it goes over the average. Head-wrecking!
    Fingers x'd for you

Thank you. It is very annoying and the lack of control over it is really bugging me!
    There is little to do but wait and see.

Back again. I'm out, got my period this evening. Sad about it but its nothing that the negative pregnancy tests didn't warn me of in advance is it!
    In bed now with a hot water bottle and two Solpadine inside me for the cramps.
    Pee'd off but not much I can do about it for now.
    New year new month new cycle.

• Advertisement

Back again. I'm out, got my period this evening. Sad about it but its nothing that the negative pregnancy tests didn't warn me of in advance is it!

Sorry Penny, even though you had the negative tests there's always a little part holding out hope isn't there? Absolutely new year new start xx

Sorry to hear that Penny. Hope you're feeling a little better today x x
    You have the right attitude new Year and new hope!!

Hard luck Penny :-( But both you and your husband have gotten back really excellent results like your progesterone and his sperm count. Assuming your day 3 FSH indicated no issues with egg reserves at least you have time on your side. Good luck this month

By the way never got back on the VHI thing. I contacted them after my cousin found a page online saying they do cover fertility treatments. Turns out they have a policy which does cover fertility treatments, it's policy PMI 04 11 and costs 4,240.97 per adult per year. Could be worth Iit if you have health insurance anyway and IVF is 5 grand a pop anyway. Not sure how many IVF it covers.

Another story which I thought was interesting, an american friend of mine who lives in America emailed me recentlyTo tell me she is 14wks preg after a successful IVF. In d States gender selection is legal with IVF, it came up coz she knew the gender and I wondered how at 14 wks. Anyway she was telling me thwy were referred for IVF after 3miscarriages the last of which was investigated &found to be due to a chromosomal abnormaility. So with their IVF they endes up with 8 viable embryos and the clinic did an advances type of genetic testing on them called PGD which tests every chromosome, including the gender one. Based on that they were told 4 were not genetically sound, and 4 were. Of the 4 that were 3 were male and 1 was female. They were asked which to put in (they also do this in Prague IVF clinics I was reading about it) and even tho her husb wanted a boy, she didn't want to discriminate against the female one so they told d clinic to put in d strongest one, which happened to be the girl (although they were told all 4 looked pretty strong in fact). Seems like a difficult and weird decision to have to make!

Hard luck Penny :-( But both you and your husband have gotten back really excellent results like your progesterone and his sperm count. Assuming your day 3 FSH indicated no issues with egg reserves at least you have time on your side. Good luck this month

My day 3 tests were fine. When I look back on the past year I think it's entirely possible that we were doing it at the wrong time in my cycle for much of the year. The last to cycles of 2013 were better timed. The November one we kinda missed out on due to the semen analysis test time frame.
    I'm in the horrors with work and am dreading going back on Monday. I had the nicest of Christmas times and so sad that its over too but work is pretty brutal now. I thought a lot about it over the holidays and am totally focused on getting a different job, maybe I should have done that some time ago anyway as I've worked where I do now for 8/9 years and perhaps that's too long. Sometimes you need a push and this is mine.
    I can control the work thing at least and in terms of ttc well I'll just focus on the timing of my cycle and hopefully I'll be a member of the Oct/Nov/Dec 2014 thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

New to this. OH ovulated approx 2weeks ago. Now we have spotting few days before period is due. Reading diff sites and getting diff answers. Will be sound a test around wed. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Hi Ladies, happy new year to everyone. I was away for a bit over Christmas and managed to relax and forget about all this ttc stuff! Hopefully we will all get our longed for pregnancies this year!

I'm waiting now to hear back from Hari. My referral letter was sent in before Christmas so I'm hoping I will hear something soon regarding our first appointment. At least it feels positive to be taking that step. Anyone know the waiting times in Hari?

greenman09 wrote: »
    New to this. OH ovulated approx 2weeks ago. Now we have spotting few days before period is due. Reading diff sites and getting diff answers. Will be sound a test around wed. Any ideas?

Hi Greenman, you're great to be taking such an interest, I couldn't see my fella being so proactive ;o)

Last month I had a positive pregnancy test on the evening of the day my period was due which was a Wednesday. On Friday evening then I had some pink discharge and on Saturday I had some reddish discharge. So for me the period due date and positive test came first, the implantation bleed came a few days later.
    Hope that helps

My day 3 tests were fine. When I look back on the past year I think it's entirely possible that we were doing it at the wrong time in my cycle for much of the year. The last to cycles of 2013 were better timed. The November one we kinda missed out on due to the semen analysis test time frame.
    I'm in the horrors with work and am dreading going back on Monday. I had the nicest of Christmas times and so sad that its over too but work is pretty brutal now. I thought a lot about it over the holidays and am totally focused on getting a different job, maybe I should have done that some time ago anyway as I've worked where I do now for 8/9 years and perhaps that's too long. Sometimes you need a push and this is mine.
    !

I can't relate - 2 weeks at home over Christmas was TOO LONG. I'm delighted to be back in work and away from my family (did I say that out loud!) with 5 of us plus partners plus different life stages in the mix there's just waaaay too much going on at home for my liking, I felt like I spent Christmas soaking up all the little issues and tensions like a sponge, now I am glad to be back at work and back in my own apartment and routine, can't wait to get some exercise as well after Christmas!

Only thing about changing job is if you're planning a pregnancy, now mightn't be the best time to change job as you'll have to work a 6 month probation period in the new job, what if you get pregnant and are showing before it's up, will they still keep you on? (maybe they have to actually...)
    I'm self employed so not in work = no income for me plus they can legitimately get rid of me anytime they want and they're not doing anything wrong so I'm not that sure of the protections that staffies get! :-)

• Advertisement

Only thing about changing job is if you're planning a pregnancy, now mightn't be the best time to change job as you'll have to work a 6 month probation period in the new job, what if you get pregnant and are showing before it's up, will they still keep you on? (maybe they have to actually...)

Re: timing, I think the most important days to dtd are (in order of importance):

1. The day after the day that you get the solid smiley face. That is the first day that you get an empty circle after having gotten a solid smiley face the day before. This is as close to ovulation as you can get without risking that ovulation is already gone past.

2. The day you get the solid smiley face

3. Any days you get the flashing smiley face.

If I had to chose between dtd on 1. or 2 above, I'd skip 2 and dtd on 1. I think that gives a higher chance of success than the other way around!

Dtd 4 or 5 days before peak is grand, but if you run out of steam by the time it gets to the day of ovulation it could be a false ecomony. So if I had to prioritise I would not waste too much energy on the days at the start of the flashing smiley face period and focus on the first day of the empty circle instead. That day (1 above) is far more important than a few days before IMHO. The closer to ovulation that the sex occurs, the higher chance of success. Just my two'pence worth, don't know if anyone else that has been successful with opks agrees?

You could spend your whole life waiting to get pregnant and not do anything. :( The way I'm looking at this is that my current work situation is proving very difficult to be in and very negative and draining. Lots of bad energy around and so it won't do me and my TTC chances any good either. If I get a new job and I fall pregnant well then I'll just deal with that as it happens.
    With regard to them not keeping you on because you fall pregnant that would be discrimination of the highest order and totally unacceptable. Court cases all round then I'd imagine.

Your suggestions re: timing of doing the deed are interesting and well worth taking into account. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement