Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You're sorted so you can apply for a new job while trying to get pregnant, even while already pregnant, just not when you're showing! :-)

Yeah being stressed at work could be counterproductive on the TTC front I'm sure.

Re the Clearblue ovulation kits this is what it says on their website:

The Clearblue Advanced Digital Ovulation Test is the most advanced home ovulation test kit. It gives you clear digital results displayed as an easy-to-read smiley face: a flashing smiley face for the ’high’ fertility days leading up to ovulation, and a solid smiley face for your ’peak’ fertility days on the day your LH surge is detected and the day after.

I didn't realise it showed a solid smiley face on the day after the LH surge as well. Sorry my bad. So have you always gotten 2 solid smiley faces 2 days in a row then so far? I remember you mentioning that once alright.

In that case the second day of the smiley face is the day to get busy !!
    And first day of the empty circle could be for good luck ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Lucuma wrote: »
    You're sorted so you can apply for a new job while trying to get pregnant, even while already pregnant, just not when you're showing! :-)

Yeah being stressed at work could be counterproductive on the TTC front I'm sure.

Re the Clearblue ovulation kits this is what it says on their website:

The Clearblue Advanced Digital Ovulation Test is the most advanced home ovulation test kit. It gives you clear digital results displayed as an easy-to-read smiley face: a flashing smiley face for the ’high’ fertility days leading up to ovulation, and a solid smiley face for your ’peak’ fertility days on the day your LH surge is detected and the day after.

I didn't realise it showed a solid smiley face on the day after the LH surge as well. Sorry my bad. So have you always gotten 2 solid smiley faces 2 days in a row then so far? I remember you mentioning that once alright.

In that case the second day of the smiley face is the day to get busy !!
    And first day of the empty circle could be for good luck ;o)

Just to add to Lucuma's good advice, this website is great for showing the best days to "get busy" :)

http://uk.clearblue.com/planning-for-a-baby/fertility-and-conception

This shows that the chance of conceiving is 33% on the day of ovulation, 31% the day before ovulation and 27% the day before this. The day after ovulation, the chance is 0%!!

One good bit of advice that my GP gave me was not to get too hung up about trying to pinpoint the exact day of ovulation. According to her, many couples get overly concerned about finding this exact day and if your calculations are even a little bit out, you could leave it too late! As you can see, the chances of conceiving the day after ovulation go down to 0%!! If in doubt, the day or 2 before ovulation are also great days to do the deed.

I think trying to pinpoint ovulation is worth a try! After all the chances are higher on that day than they are on any other day. Penny replied too fast (speedy gonzales on the typewriter Penny!) to my original post so that by the time I went back to edit it, she had already copied it into her reply.

I was talking about hitting ovulation day, not the day after obviously :D

I think trying to pinpoint ovulation is worth a try! After all the chances are higher on that day than they are on any other day. Penny replied too fast (speedy gonzales on the typewriter Penny!) to my original post so that by the time I went back to edit it, she had already copied it into her reply.

I was talking about hitting ovulation day, not the day after obviously :D

I agree that trying to pinpoint ovulation is worth a try. It's just that with ovulation occuring 12 - 36 hours after the LH surge, that can be very difficult to do exactly. Since the egg only lasts about 24 hours, the window is so small and can easily be missed. Rather than putting all your eggs in one basket (!!), doing the deed a day or 2 before, as well as the day of ovulation, seems to make sense. That way all bases should be covered.

That's really what I meant - should have explained better the first time. Didn't mean not to try to find the day of ovulation at all, but just to give yourself an extra chance the days beforehand as well. Afterall, a 31% chance and a 33% chance aren't much different.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

And sperm can last for up to 5 days so to maximise chances, have it ready and waiting for the auld egg!

• Advertisement

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Rather than putting all your eggs in one basket (!!)....

Haha :-)

You're spot on, I suppose the reason I brought it up in the first place is that I wonder if with flashing smiley faces there could be a tendancy to focus too much on the start of the fertile window when in fact it's at the end of the fertile window that you have the highest chance. I was kinda just saying don't disregard the end of the fertile window ;it's the most important day (s) to do the deed!

Does the egg really last 24 hrs? I thought it was 12 for some reason. So if you get 1st solid smiley face on a Mon, 2nd solid smiley face on a Tues and empty circle on a Wed, and let's say ov occurred 36 hours after LH peak, that means ov occurred on Tues night and so all day Wed there's a live egg in there.
    In this example dtd on Mon, Tues or indeed Wed could lead to conception.
    Hell if you could pull it off go for it on all 3days! But if one had to put one's eggs in 1basket I'd go for Tuesday :-)

Haha :-)

You're spot on, I suppose the reason I brought it up in the first place is that I wonder if with flashing smiley faces there could be a tendancy to focus too much on the start of the fertile window when in fact it's at the end of the fertile window that you have the highest chance. I was kinda just saying don't disregard the end of the fertile window ;it's the most important day (s) to do the deed!

Does the egg really last 24 hrs? I thought it was 12 for some reason. So if you get 1st solid smiley face on a Mon, 2nd solid smiley face on a Tues and empty circle on a Wed, and let's say ov occurred 36 hours after LH peak, that means ov occurred on Tues night and so all day Wed there's a live egg in there.
    In this example dtd on Mon, Tues or indeed Wed could lead to conception.
    Hell if you could pull it off go for it on all 3days! But if one had to put one's eggs in 1basket I'd go for Tuesday :-)

Oh totally agree - the end of the fertile phase is much better than the beginning for dtd. I think we all get so excited once the LH surge begins that we want to focus on dtd straight away!!

I think the egg can last up to 24 hours - probably more accurate to say 12 - 24 hours. To use the other extreme in your example - if ovulation occurred 12 hours after the LH surge rather than 36 hours after, then ovulation would occur Mon night, rather than Tues night. Again, to use the lower extreme of the egg lasting 12 hours, Tuesday may end up being too late to dtd!

But as in your example, by dtd on Mon, Tues and Wed this would still be ok. Monday would be excellent and Tuesday may be ok, depending on the time of day. So either way, dtd the few days around ovulation should work out ok, as long as all of this is focused towards the end of the fertile phase, as you said.

When you break it all down like this, it's a wonder anyone ever gets pregnant!! Lucuma, how did you manage it?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh totally agree - the end of the fertile phase is much better than the beginning for dtd. I think we all get so excited once the LH surge begins that we want to focus on dtd straight away!!

I think the egg can last up to 24 hours - probably more accurate to say 12 - 24 hours. To use the other extreme in your example - if ovulation occurred 12 hours after the LH surge rather than 36 hours after, then ovulation would occur Mon night, rather than Tues night. Again, to use the lower extreme of the egg lasting 12 hours, Tuesday may end up being too late to dtd!

But as in your example, by dtd on Mon, Tues and Wed this would still be ok. Monday would be excellent and Tuesday may be ok, depending on the time of day. So either way, dtd the few days around ovulation should work out ok, as long as all of this is focused towards the end of the fertile phase, as you said.

When you break it all down like this, it's a wonder anyone ever gets pregnant!! Lucuma, how did you manage it?! :D

Funnily enough I think that's exactly what happened us this month - we got first high reading on dec 24th, did the deed twice, skipped 25th, dtd again late on 26th/early hours of 27th, skipped 28th, then got peak on Dec 29th so dtd that morning and skipped 30th and it was late on 31st before we did again. So although we did the necessary 5 times over the 8 days they weren't the best days at all - so frustrating!

Think the way to go is just sex all the time and plenty of it - friends of mine who conceived in their first month trying always had sex 4/5 times a week every week so no wonder they caught the egg!!

Funnily enough I think that's exactly what happened us this month - we got first high reading on dec 24th, did the deed twice, skipped 25th, dtd again late on 26th/early hours of 27th, skipped 28th, then got peak on Dec 29th so dtd that morning and skipped 30th and it was late on 31st before we did again. So although we did the necessary 5 times over the 8 days they weren't the best days at all - so frustrating!

Think the way to go is just sex all the time and plenty of it - friends of mine who conceived in their first month trying always had sex 4/5 times a week every week so no wonder they caught the egg!!

Sex all the time is probably best all right!!

Angel, I'd say you did ok. If you got your peak on 29th, that was probably a really good day to dtd. Every 2 days means there should be plenty of sperm there at all times & sure it only takes one! Frustrating two week wait now. Best of luck.

Angel out of interest did you get a solid smiley face 2 days in a row like it says you're supposed to?

Sounds like ye made a good attempt though, dtd on the 29th as Tomee said is fairly close to ovulation so fingers crossed!

Tomee in your example you said what if ovulation occurs 12 hours after LH peak but ovukation occurs a mininum of 24 hours and maximum of 48 hrs after LH peak so if you get 1st smiley face on Mon, you have 24 hours anyway til egg pops out, then at least 12 hours of egg being alive so Tues can't be too late, but yeah better earlier on d Tues, like better not to let it go til so late on Tues that it's really wee hours of Wed!

• Advertisement

Angel out of interest did you get a solid smiley face 2 days in a row like it says you're supposed to?

Sounds like ye made a good attempt though, dtd on the 29th as Tomee said is fairly close to ovulation so fingers crossed!

Tomee in your example you said what if ovulation occurs 12 hours after LH peak but ovukation occurs a mininum of 24 hours and maximum of 48 hrs after LH peak so if you get 1st smiley face on Mon, you have 24 hours anyway til egg pops out, then at least 12 hours of egg being alive so Tues can't be too late, but yeah better earlier on d Tues, like better not to let it go til so late on Tues that it's really wee hours of Wed!

I'm getting myself all confused now! The instructions with my opks (cheapie internet ones) says ovulation occurs 12 - 36 hours after the LH surge. Just goes to show how hard it is figure out when ovulation actually does feckin happen!!

Think angel hit the nail on the head - lots of sex, often!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Our consultant only recommends sex every 2 to 3 days as you need to let sperm replenish! Well, I can have as much sex as I like but my husband can't :pac:

The solid smiley face actually stays on the monitor so there's no point in testing any more - it's there before you even put in a test stick, or was for me anyway and that was how I read the instructions so was expecting it.

I hate the 2ww :( not feeling like it's our month though so sort of resigned to nothing happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Someone asked there how long the wait time in the hari is,we were waiting a year for bout first appointment . that was last January and were back this week to get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

The solid smiley face actually stays on the monitor so there's no point in testing any more - it's there before you even put in a test stick, or was for me anyway and that was how I read the instructions so was expecting it.

I hate the 2ww :( not feeling like it's our month though so sort of resigned to nothing happening

Fingers crossed for you!!

bobskii wrote: »
    Someone asked there how long the wait time in the hari is,we were waiting a year for bout first appointment . that was last January and were back this week to get started!

That's a ridiculous wait time. Just wondering is that going private or public. Don't know anything about the Hari.

We only had to wait 4 weeks to see our consultant. If I didn't wait to have the operation in March we could have started sooner but in fairness to our doctor she didn't wabt us to waste money on treatment without knowing if there was something else lurching.

Think I'd go mad waiting that long.

llambert wrote: »

Thank you thank you ;-)

It is a ridiculous wait time your right,it's through the public system . there was a set back for us cos I had to get an autoimmune thing sorted right when we were about to start last year . that set us back 6/7 months .

It is a ridiculous wait time your right,it's through the public system . there was a set back for us cos I had to get an autoimmune thing sorted right when we were about to start last year . that set us back 6/7 months .

That's a crazy wait time alright. I'm going private & my GP seemed to think the wait would be about 6 - 8 weeks for the initial appointment, but she wasn't too sure. Hopefully I will hear something from Hari soon.

• Advertisement

I'm getting myself all confused now! The instructions with my opks (cheapie internet ones) says ovulation occurs 12 - 36 hours after the LH surge. Just goes to show how hard it is figure out when ovulation actually does feckin happen!!

Hmm. I checked my cheapies and they say ''24-48 hours''. That Clearblue page you sent the link to (which seems to be ratified by an obs & gnyae consultant from Sydney hospital) states 24-36 hours. My fertility code book states ''about 36 hours''. And checked another website there and it says ''24-36 hours''. Never seen it say 12 hours anywhere. I'd say 24 is the minimum.

Also in all the places I checked it either says for the egg life: 24 hours or the odd place says ''12-24 hours''. Either way I think the Tuesday in my example is a safe bet. (the day after LH peak) I don't think this can be too late. That was the only day we dtd last month (edit I mean around ovulation hehe) and it worked. But if you don't have low sperm count issues and your fella is up to it I'd say dtd on the day of the peak and the day after the peak. Or if he needs a break - the day before the peak and the day after the peak. Either way I'd include the day after the peak in there.

You never know Angel!!

Well at least you are in the system now. What day are you going this week? Hope you get on ok, exciting times moving onto the next phase!
    I'm back with my clinic Thursday for an early pregnancy scan. Hopefully everything will be alright. After that I don't need to see them again. Will feel less anxious then.

That's a crazy wait time alright. I'm going private & my GP seemed to think the wait would be about 6 - 8 weeks for the initial appointment, but she wasn't too sure. Hopefully I will hear something from Hari soon.

About 6 weeks sounds right after all the tests are done and if you have to go for treatment it seems once you have the money together you can start. That's how it was for us anyway but had to wait for 3 cycles between treatments for everything to go back to normal.

Hmm. I checked my cheapies and they say ''24-48 hours''. That Clearblue page you sent the link to (which seems to be ratified by an obs & gnyae consultant from Sydney hospital) states 24-36 hours. My fertility code book states ''about 36 hours''. And checked another website there and it says ''24-36 hours''. Never seen it say 12 hours anywhere. I'd say 24 is the minimum.

Also in all the places I checked it either says for the egg life: 24 hours or the odd place says ''12-24 hours''. Either way I think the Tuesday in my example is a safe bet. (the day after LH peak) I don't think this can be too late. That was the only day we dtd last month (edit I mean around ovulation hehe) and it worked. But if you don't have low sperm count issues and your fella is up to it I'd say dtd on the day of the peak and the day after the peak. Or if he needs a break - the day before the peak and the day after the peak. Either way I'd include the day after the peak in there.

Unfortunately its all a bit of a moot point for me at the minute anyway, as I don't seem to be ovulating :(

Really keen to get the appointment in Hari - anxiously checking the post everyday to see if I have a letter from them. I rang to see if they could give me some indication of how long I might be waiting for my appointment, but the girl I was speaking to didn't seem to know. She seemed to think it was a bit of an odd question!

About 6 weeks sounds right after all the tests are done and if you have to go for treatment it seems once you have the money together you can start. That's how it was for us anyway but had to wait for 3 cycles between treatments for everything to go back to normal.

What do you mean about "after all the tests are done"? I've had day 3 and 21 bloods done (repeated over a couple of months) , other general bloods and a smear test. My hubby had a semen analysis done. Are there other tests that we should be getting done in advance of the initial consultation?

Best of luck with your early scan!

What do you mean about "after all the tests are done"? I've had day 3 and 21 bloods done (repeated over a couple of months) , other general bloods and a smear test. My hubby had a semen analysis done. Are there other tests that we should be getting done in advance of the initial consultation?

Best of luck with your early scan!

Thanks!!

No that's probably it. We didn't do anything until we were with the clinic so we had all that to do.
    Because I always had a bleed in the middle of the month my consultant wanted to do a laposopy. Waited 5 months for that. Also once we knew we were definitely doing ivf my hubby had dna fragmentation done on his semen just to make sure we had the full picture.

Thanks!!

No that's probably it. We didn't do anything until we were with the clinic so we had all that to do.
    Because I always had a bleed in the middle of the month my consultant wanted to do a laposopy. Waited 5 months for that. Also once we knew we were definitely doing ivf my hubby had dna fragmentation done on his semen just to make sure we had the full picture.

Thanks. Just really keen to get the ball rolling with the first appointment & thought maybe I needed more tests first. Obviously I know there may be more waiting & more tests after the first consultation but at least I'd be moving in the right direction!

Unfortunately its all a bit of a moot point for me at the minute anyway, as I don't seem to be ovulating :(
    QUOTE]

That's a shame Tomee, do get positive opks sometimes? Thought I rem'd you posting you had one before. Hope you hear from the Hari soon

• Advertisement

Thanks llambert
    was in today actually.all systems go for next month . funny day it was too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement